Author Topic: question about recovery time  (Read 913 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
question about recovery time
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
how much of your recovery/regrowth occurs over the first night after a workout? say i do a workout late afternoon, eat lots of food until i go to sleep, then sleep 9-11 hours. after this time, how much of the recovery from that workout will have taken place already?
what im trying to figure out is, is the first night like 80% of the recovery/regrowth? or is it spread out pretty evenly over 2-3 nights?

Cromespyder

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: question about recovery time
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:16:50 AM »
eat 53g of protein and 56 simple carbs through a feeding tube( so you dont denature the protein) exactly 12 minuets before the end of your workout then for the next 2 days eat 23.6g/protein an hour with 42 complex carbs and a steak halfway through your nights sleep to maximize muscle gain.
or just fucking train and eat instead of getting so philosophical and scientific about this shit.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
Good advice..........don`t make it harder than it is.

Train,Eat,Rest,Repeat!!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
Normally i train from 1-2.30pm. I get up around 10am.

If i train later say around 5 i find that the next day i am more tired than usual. I think this is due to not having the food in me to help me recover quickly or possibly being more tired and having to try harder in the gym...then again might just be psychological

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »
you sarcastic bastards, the only reason i ask is cause i have to plan my drinking days around workouts. so i always wonder, if i know im gonna be out and drinking later, is it even worth it to work out that day? will i squander virtually all my recovery due to drinking (that night) or is the recovery evenly spread over several days, therefore makes the drinking less inhibitive and thus reasonable?

Cromespyder

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 12:37:20 PM »
you sarcastic bastards, the only reason i ask is cause i have to plan my drinking days around workouts. so i always wonder, if i know im gonna be out and drinking later, is it even worth it to work out that day? will i squander virtually all my recovery due to drinking (that night) or is the recovery evenly spread over several days, therefore makes the drinking less inhibitive and thus reasonable?
how many times a week do you drink on average and how much do you usually drink?

The GodFather

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »
TA will type a three page answer if Not, Basile will.Now do you really want to know????

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »
Matrix,

From personal observation, it takes 2-3 days for a muscle to recover 100%, but more like 1 week or even longer for the nervous system and joints to recover, if you are lifting near 100% of your rep range (I go less than 10 RM).

The alcohol has a dramatic effect on energy recovery. It's like carbo loading. The down side comes when you over do it, obviously.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »
not worthless, but you wont get the same effect as usual because protein synthesis will be suppressed due to the drinking.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 04:54:03 PM »
let me also add that general recovery will be slower due to the drinking. (including CNS recovery, muscle recovery etc)

that being said i know lots of people who party every weekened (once a week) and make good gains. you have to find a balance in life, that suits you.

also as said before the carbs from when you drink will often give the feeling that you have 'carbloaded' when you train...if you can get passed the hangover.....BUT protein synthesis will also be suppressed due to the drinking..so the workout wont be as effective as under normal circumstances.

JasonBourne22

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Drinking more than 3 drinks in a night actually lowers testosterone levels for as long as 3 days. So yes recovery time will be affected. If you drink keep it within reason, especially if you plan to compete. However, if your in it for recreation and just want to look good on beach I don't see a problem with the occasional drinking bender  ;D.

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 10:26:02 PM »
IF you natural, recovery time is a bitch. I sore for 2-3 days :-\
A