Author Topic: Sen. Coleman Sues Al Franken  (Read 10508 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Sen. Coleman Sues Al Franken
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2009, 04:47:50 PM »
Sounds like you're being selective because this is such a hot topic... If you care so much about Coleman and Franken, you should make it a point to care about all of the Senate seats.

I'm not being selective.  I'm talking about this race, because this race is undecided, with a clearly qualified candidate on one side and a clearly unqualified candidate on the other side.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
he's actually quite a politician... been writing books and working for causes for a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken

besides, Palin was a local yokel mayor and served 18 months of corrupt Governorship, and some of you sillies were ready to hand her the nuclear football.  Gimme a break.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
I'm not being selective.  I'm talking about this race, because this race is undecided, with a clearly qualified candidate on one side and a clearly unqualified candidate on the other side.  

Clearly you haven't explained to me what "qualifies" someone to be a Senator.

I think it only requires decent common sense really... Something that you can not be "trained" for... You either have it or you do not.

I have yet to see where Coleman has more of that than Franken.

So where do you see one being more qualified than the other... You do realize that being a Senator is effectively an "unskilled trade" similarly to being a police officer or a secretary.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »
Clearly you haven't explained to me what "qualifies" someone to be a Senator.

I think it only requires decent common sense really... Something that you can not be "trained" for... You either have it or you do not.

I have yet to see where Coleman has more of that than Franken.

So where do you see one being more qualified than the other... You do realize that being a Senator is effectively an "unskilled trade" similarly to being a police officer or a secretary.

I've explained why Coleman is qualified and Franken is not. 

Common sense is a requirement for every job.  We'll have to agree to disagree on whether that is the only criteria for a U.S. Senator.  That really dumbs down the job.  As I've said, they're deciding issues that affect us all.

Secretaries don't confirm supreme court justices.  Nor do they vote on whether our nation should go to war.  Neither do they determine our federal budget.  Meet with world leaders.  Handle national security matters.  Etc., etc.     

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »
I've explained why Coleman is qualified and Franken is not. 

Common sense is a requirement for every job.  We'll have to agree to disagree on whether that is the only criteria for a U.S. Senator.  That really dumbs down the job.  As I've said, they're deciding issues that affect us all.

Secretaries don't confirm supreme court justices.  Nor do they vote on whether our nation should go to war.  Neither do they determine our federal budget.  Meet with world leaders.  Handle national security matters.  Etc., etc.     

No, Secretaries make decisions in offices of fortune 100 companies for CEOs that could make or break big deals equating to millions of dollars.

Are you saying Secretaries are not important and don't make important decisions.

I guess we will disagree because so far, I've seen nothing that shows where anything more than good sense is required to be a politician.

What did Reagan do before he was Governor again? Arnold did what?

Yeah... Exactly... They were actors which is effectively what Franken is... He is a celebrity just like those guys.

So how is he any different or less qualified than either one of them?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2009, 05:20:28 PM »
No, Secretaries make decisions in offices of fortune 100 companies for CEOs that could make or break big deals equating to millions of dollars.

Are you saying Secretaries are not important and don't make important decisions.

I guess we will disagree because so far, I've seen nothing that shows where anything more than good sense is required to be a politician.

What did Reagan do before he was Governor again? Arnold did what?

Yeah... Exactly... They were actors which is effectively what Franken is... He is a celebrity just like those guys.

So how is he any different or less qualified than either one of them?

You equated secretaries with U.S. Senators.  I just showed you why that comparison doesn't work (e.g., secretaries don't determine who sits on the supreme court).

Secretaries of fortune 100 companies do not make decisions on million dollar deals.  Nonsense.  Secretaries play a very important role in companies, but you're grossly overstating what they do. 

I don't know what Reagan did other than act before he became governor and I don't know who his opponent was when he ran. 

Arnold is a different story.  He wasn't just an actor.  He was a businessman who created a half billion dollar net worth. 

Franken was on Saturday Night Live.  And when you put his background up against Coleman, it's pretty pathetic.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
You equated secretaries with U.S. Senators.  I just showed you why that comparison doesn't work (e.g., secretaries don't determine who sits on the supreme court).

Secretaries of fortune 100 companies do not make decisions on million dollar deals.  Nonsense.  Secretaries play a very important role in companies, but you're grossly overstating what they do. 

I don't know what Reagan did other than act before he became governor and I don't know who his opponent was when he ran. 

Arnold is a different story.  He wasn't just an actor.  He was a businessman who created a half billion dollar net worth. 

Franken was on Saturday Night Live.  And when you put his background up against Coleman, it's pretty pathetic.   

I call BS on this one... Arnold was still a freaking ACTOR... That's where his money came from... End of story. He made lots of movies that were entertaining... There is really nothing special about that.

Reagan was an ACTOR...

Franken was an ACTOR / Comedian... Has every qualification that Reagan and Arnold have... Period.

To say otherwise is simply ignoring the basic truth of what those people did... They entertained people for money... Nothing more.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »
I call BS on this one... Arnold was still a freaking ACTOR... That's where his money came from... End of story. He made lots of movies that were entertaining... There is really nothing special about that.

Reagan was an ACTOR...

Franken was an ACTOR / Comedian... Has every qualification that Reagan and Arnold have... Period.

To say otherwise is simply ignoring the basic truth of what those people did... They entertained people for money... Nothing more.

Call whatever you want.  Every actor doesn't have a $500 million net worth.  You have to be pretty akamai (smart) to manage and grow your money the way Arnold did.  To say otherwise is simply ignoring the basic truth of wealth and wealth creation.  Otherwise, every Hollywood actor would have that kind of net worth.  They don't.  The man came to this country with nothing and became one of the wealthiest persons in the country.  Can't say the same about Franken.  They're not in the same zip code.   

You're fine with Franken over Coleman.  I'm not.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »

Reagan was an ACTOR...

I'll go you one further.

This whole "debate" is BS

The only people that matter are the voters in Minnesota and clearly enough those people decided that Frank was the better choice.  

Tough Titties for Coleman

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2009, 07:32:45 PM »
Call whatever you want.  Every actor doesn't have a $500 million net worth.  You have to be pretty akamai (smart) to manage and grow your money the way Arnold did.  To say otherwise is simply ignoring the basic truth of wealth and wealth creation.  Otherwise, every Hollywood actor would have that kind of net worth.  They don't.  The man came to this country with nothing and became one of the wealthiest persons in the country.  Can't say the same about Franken.  They're not in the same zip code.   

You're fine with Franken over Coleman.  I'm not.  

Too bad you don't live in Minnesota I guess... because THEY believe Franken is better.

You think you know better than the Minnesota voters?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »

Maybe people in Hawaii (the most liberal state in America) do know more about politics then?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »
Too bad you don't live in Minnesota I guess... because THEY believe Franken is better.

Maybe.  I think I know better than the people who voted for Franken.  I agree with the people who voted for Coleman. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2009, 01:12:08 PM »
Coleman challenges recount in court
Scott Wente Associated Press
Published Tuesday, January 06, 2009

ST. PAUL – Norm Coleman will go to the courts in hopes of returning to the U.S. Senate.

Coleman announced this afternoon his campaign will contest the results of the statewide recount that gave him 225 fewer votes than Democrat Al Franken.

“As of today not every valid vote has been counted and some have been counted twice,” Coleman said as he was surrounded by dozens of supporters in a packed room across the street from the Capitol building.

Coleman’s announcement came a day after the state Canvassing Board approved the recount vote total that gave Franken a narrow margin.

Franken declared victory Monday and called himself “the next senator from Minnesota.” The former “Saturday Night Live” comedian acknowledged further legal action was possible, but said he would focus on getting to work for Minnesotans.

State law says an election certificate cannot be issued until seven days after the vote is finalized, during which time a lawsuit challenging the result can be filed. In that case, the winner does not receive an election certificate until after the court challenge plays out.

The new Congress convened today with Minnesota represented by only one senator – Democrat Amy Klobuchar.

Franken took no questions from reporters huddled outside his Minneapolis home on Monday, and his campaign refused to say whether he planned to travel to Washington without an election certificate. Senate Democrats had raised the possibility of provisionally seating Franken, pending the outcome of a possible legal challenge, but later said that would not occur as the new Congress convened today.

The Canvassing Board’s action wrapped up a two-month statewide recount with plenty of wrinkles and surprises. Coleman entered the recount leading Franken by more than 200 votes, but that flipped after the hand recount of 2.9 million ballots the counting of improperly rejected absentee ballots.

The official total gave Franken 1,212,431 votes to Coleman’s 1,212,206.

Coleman’s six-year Senate term ended Saturday and his offices were ordered closed Monday.

http://www.wctrib.com/articles/index.cfm?id=45994

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »
So much for him doing what the people wanted huh?

Makes Coleman look like an ass for not following his own "advices".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
End to Minn. Senate race pushed even further out

By BRIAN BAKST and PATRICK CONDON
Associated Press Writers

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Minnesota's grueling U.S. Senate race, already dragging on two months past Election Day, has now moved even further from the voters - and into the hands of lawyers.

Republican Norm Coleman filed a lawsuit Tuesday challenging Democrat Al Franken's apparent recount victory, likely keeping one of Minnesota's two U.S. Senate seats unoccupied for weeks or even months.

It promises to reopen many of the disputes that arose during the recount, and to raise new questions about the conduct of the election and the counting of ballots.

Coleman acknowledged a desire among some Minnesotans to move on, but said a larger principle than expediency is at stake.

"We are filing this contest to make absolutely sure every valid vote was counted and no one's was counted more than anyone else's," he said at a Capitol news conference filled with cheering supporters.

"Democracy is not a machine," Coleman said. "Sometimes it's messy and inconvenient, and reaching the best conclusion is never quick because speed is not the first objective, fairness is."

Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who will eventually sign the winner's election certificate, backed Coleman's position Wednesday.

"It's disappointing that it's going to take longer but I think the more important thing to focus on is, the court process will allow ... everybody to say every stone was turned over, and in the end then have more confidence in the result," Pawlenty said.

A state board on Monday determined that Franken captured 225 more votes in the November election. But Minnesota law prevents officials from issuing an election certificate until legal matters are resolved. Franken did not participate Tuesday when new U.S. senators took the oath of office in Washington.

A trial is supposed to commence within three weeks of the case being filed.

Coleman attorney Fritz Knaak estimated the lawsuit could take at least two months to resolve.

Franken attorney Marc Elias called the lawsuit "essentially the same thin gruel, warmed-over leftovers from meals we've all been served over the last few weeks."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MINNESOTA_SENATE?refresh=1

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »
Looks like Coleman is a whining bitch who can't handle getting beat.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »
Interesting take.

Can Coleman Win?

Over the weekend, Al Franken's lead over Norm Coleman jumped to 225 votes after officials counted about 1,000 absentee ballots that had been wrongly rejected due to clerical errors. This afternoon, the Minnesota canvassing board certified that Franken is the winner. But, as the St. Paul Pioneer Press explained in an editorial last week--much to the chagrin of Senate Democrats like Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, and Amy Klobuchar--this doesn't mean the race is over:

We see this as a three-act drama. If, by this time next week, Al or Norm is declared the winner of the recount — that is, at the end of Act II but before Act III — there will be a rush to put that man in the seat immediately. We could imagine a scenario where the Democratically controlled U.S. Senate would be happy to do this if Franken maintains his margin.

That would be a slap in the face to Minnesota fairness.

State law includes the right of an election contest. Seating either man while that is pending will be seen as a partisan power play that breaks faith with the spirit of the law. A court contest need not be drawn out but it is the candidate's right. Norm and Al can cool their heels until it's over.

In an election contest, a three judge panel appointed by the chief justice of the Minnesota supreme court will settle disputes between the Coleman and Franken campaigns. Even though it appears there have been serious problems with the recount that have boosted Franken's numbers, Coleman's odds of overtaking Franken's 225 vote lead in an election contest are quite long.

The most egregious problem is the alleged double-counting of ballots. The Coleman campaign claims that Franken netted about 100 votes in Minneapolis precincts where more votes were counted during the recount than on election night.

Another issue is Minneapolis's decision to submit election night tally for 133 missing ballots, among which Franken netted 46 votes. The Coleman campaign has pointed to a 2002 decision that held ballots that do not physically exist must not be counted.

The Coleman camp also objects to the inclusion of 171 ballots, which netted Franken 36 votes and were discovered in a box of ballots during the recount. So far I can tell, the Coleman campaign has not cited any particular law or court case to justify the exclusion of these ballots from the final count.

The Coleman campaign says it will also contest the canvassing board's inconsistent standards for judging Franken and Coleman ballots, though I doubt this could net more than 20 votes for Coleman.

So if these issues are resolved in Coleman's favor--a big if--he'd still be down by at least 20 votes. One possible way Coleman could make up the difference is if additional absentee ballots are counted. The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled today that the resolution of this dispute is best suited for an election contest:

"The Coleman campaign contends that there are 654 ballots, in addition to those identified by local election officials, that should be examined, but the Franken campaign disagrees. The Franken campaign has itself identified additional ballots. We take no position on the merits of either campaign's contentions."

In at least a couple counties, election officials have acknowledged that some of the ballots identified by Coleman were improperly rejected. Yet, it's unclear how many of these 654 ballots were in fact wrongfully rejected, and, more importantly, how many votes Coleman might gain if they are counted.

Also, Coleman's lawyer Tony Trimble said this afternoon that he will challenge Franken's "gain" of 100 votes in a Mt. Iron precinct in heavily Democratic St. Louis county. As I wrote in November, most of the shifts in Franken's favor following election night were clearly corrections of typos. For example, without a 246-vote correction in Franken's favor in one precinct, he would only have had 27 votes--an unbelievably low number in a precinct where John McCain and Norm Coleman each tallied 175 votes and Obama garnered 336 votes.

But in the Mt. Iron precinct there's no way to tell, based on the percentage of the vote each candidate was expected to get, if the correction was due to an honest mistake. To be clear, there is no evidence of voter fraud here, and local election official Jill Anderson tells me that Republican election judges in Mt. Iron have not objected to the correction.

So Coleman would have to pull off something close to an inside straight in the election contest if he's to win. Still, I don't see why that should keep him from taking his case to court. Citizens deserve to know that there votes were accurately counted. And I'm pretty sure that Minnesotans can get along just fine for the next few weeks without Al Franken making them proud in Washington, D.C.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/01/can_coleman_win.asp

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »
Al Franken stole the election? Prove it or shut up
The recount shows that he won the Minnesota Senate race. The lying liars who say otherwise have no evidence of cheating.

By Joe Conason

Jan. 09, 2009 |

If Al Franken were not a longtime public figure -- and thus severely handicapped by American jurisprudence -- he could file a powerful complaint for libel or slander against several of the most prominent wingnuts in the United States. From Rush Limbaugh to Bill O'Reilly to Richard Mellon Scaife, a chorus of familiar voices is loudly defaming the Democrat whose razor-thin win in the Minnesota Senate race will now be tested in that state's courts. Ever since Election Day, on radio and television, on the Internet and in print, they've screamed that Franken is stealing, rigging, pilfering, scamming, thieving and cheating his way to victory.

These media figures, some of whom occasionally pretend to be journalists, have spewed such accusations repeatedly, without offering any proof whatsoever -- in plain contradiction of the available facts. Not only is there no evidence that Franken or his campaign "cheated" in any way during the election or the recount, but there is ample reason to believe that the entire process was fair, balanced and free from partisan taint.

For Franken's most famous adversaries, spewing lies about him may be a form of cheap revenge. A prime example is Fox News host O'Reilly, who has hated Franken for years, dating back to when the comedian and author berated him in a public debate, then exposed him in "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them," and ultimately provoked him into filing an ill-advised lawsuit that only generated vast amounts of free publicity for Franken's book before the suit was thrown out of court. Of course O'Reilly was preceded by Limbaugh, that "big fat idiot" whose deceptions and bigotry were featured in the comedian's first bestselling book way back in 1996.

So Limbaugh, quoting an erroneous editorial from the Wall Street Journal, has been ranting about the supposed theft of the Minnesota election for months now. "We did not elect Al Franken," he told a caller on Jan. 5. "He stole the race. They are stealing the race up there blind in front of everybody's nose. They are counting absentee ballots [which election officials are required to do by law]. ... They're counting votes twice -- votes that were rejected, all kinds of things [which election officials ordered after determining that some votes were rejected wrongly]. That's just -- the Democrats are stealing the election up there." Even the Journal's tendentious and sloppy screeds have never quite accused Franken of "stealing" the race or the recount. Rush just made that part up.

On Jan. 7, O'Reilly hosted an appearance by Dick Morris, the former Clinton consultant who lost his job for consorting with a prostitute and has gone into business selling himself to the highest Republican bidder. Aside from Fox News, Morris seems to appear with the greatest frequency on Newsmax.com, the popular right-wing Web site owned by Scaife and operated by Christopher Ruddy, a journalist known mainly for his fanciful theories about the Vince Foster suicide.

"Al Franken -- you think he's cheating?" intoned O'Reilly, as if he didn't know the answer.

"Yeah, I think there's funny business -- funny business going on in Franken's thing," replied Morris, as if he knew exactly what he was talking about. "Sure, he's cheating, and sure that Minnesota's doing it for him. I mean, there's no question that there's cheating going on ... This is outright larceny. This is just a total theft."

But he offered no evidence to support that incendiary accusation, on the O'Reilly broadcast or in the Newsmax column he published that same day, headlined "Stop Al Franken From Stealing the Election." (That column included a link to the Republican National Lawyers Association, which is raising money to assist Coleman's election lawsuit, with a direct endorsement from Morris.) Instead he complained about a few instances in which he disagrees with decisions by the Minnesota courts and election officials, and in particular with the special panel that oversaw the recount. How those disagreements amount to "cheating" or "stealing" by Franken he did not bother to explain.

All the usual suspects have echoed these false charges across the airwaves and the Internet. What they invariably neglect to mention is that the Minnesota Canvassing Board, whose decisions have so displeased the Republican right, was impeccably nonpartisan. Nobody in their right mind in Minnesota believes that the board was biased -- and, in fact, Powerline blogger Scott Johnson, no friend of Democrats or Franken, has specifically spoken up to defend it. "There was no noticeable partisan division among the board," he wrote. "Minnesotans are justifiably proud of the transparency and fairness of their work."

Two of its five members are Supreme Court judges appointed by Tim Pawlenty, the state's conservative Republican governor, each with a long record of loyal service to the GOP; a third is a nonpartisan elected judge; a fourth was appointed by former independent Gov. Jesse Ventura; and only one, Secretary of State Mark Ritchie, is a Democrat. At the outset, Coleman's own lawyers accepted the panel's membership, as did everyone else, including Franken, who might have protested that his own party had only one member.

Their decisions against Coleman, which led to Franken's provisional victory by 225 votes, were unanimous. It is this group, composed of distinguished judges with spotless reputations, whose hard work has been described in odious terms by the likes of Morris, Limbaugh and Ann Coulter.

Here's a challenge to all those lying liars. In essence, they have accused my friend Franken of a felony under Minnesota law. If they know of any evidence that would show he has stolen votes or violated any election statute, let them report it to the state law enforcement authorities. And if they don't, perhaps they will at last have the decency to shut up.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason/2009/01/09/franken/?source=newsletter

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:34 AM »
LOL... suddenly repubs give a shit about the integrity of the election process :) :) :)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
LOL... suddenly repubs give a shit about the integrity of the election process :) :) :)

hahahahahaaaa you got that right.  In 2000 and 2004 it didn't seem to matter huh?

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
Coleman should have put up a better fight earlier on. He watched and did nothing post-election as Franken went from a 200+ deficit to a 200+ lead.

'A little too little, a little too late'... to quote 80s rocker Pat Benatar. :P

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:02 AM »
Al Franken Denied Certificate to Take Senate Seat

Monday, January 12, 2009 1:00 PM

Democrat Al Franken asked the Minnesota governor and secretary of state to issue an election certificate that would let him take office in the Senate, but the request was denied.

"Minnesota law is very clear on when a certificate of election can be issued,” Mark Ritchie, Minnesota’s Democratic secretary of state, wrote in a Monday statement. “Neither the governor nor I may sign a certificate of election in the U.S. Senate race until all election contests have reached a final determination. Even if the governor issues a certificate of election prior to the conclusion of the contest phase, I will not sign it."

Minn. Governor Pawlenty echoed Ritchie, saying the following in a statement: “I have a duty to follow state law and our statutes are clear on this issue. I am prohibited from issuing a certificate of election until the election contest in the courts has been resolved.”

In letters the campaign sent Monday, Franken's lawyers argued that a seven-day waiting period had passed and he should get the signed certificate. State law requires the waiting period after the election is finalized; the election was finalized on Jan. 5, with Franken leading Republican Norm Coleman by 225 votes after a statewide recount.

Franken attorney Marc Elias said the campaign believed federal law entitled him to the certificate before the Coleman lawsuit is settled.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/minnesota_senate/2009/01/12/170405.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:34 AM »
Fat lady not singing yet. 

Court to Franken: Wait Until Feb. for Certification Suit

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:00 AM

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Minnesota won't have a second senator until February at the earliest after the state Supreme Court gave itself several weeks to consider Democrat Al Franken's request for an expedited election certificate.

The court said it would hear arguments on Franken's petition to get a certificate before the conclusion of a lawsuit by Republican Norm Coleman, but not until Feb. 5. The court order also granted Coleman's request to intervene in the case, which names Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Secretary of State Mark Ritchie as defendants.

The development extends an already lengthy fight over the last undecided Senate seat from the 2008 election.

Also Wednesday, Coleman proposed a schedule for the trial on his lawsuit disputing the recount results, which showed him 225 votes behind Franken. His recommendations would push the trial well into February and probably beyond.

In a filing, Coleman recommended conducting the trial in stages. He said the case should proceed to the next step only if he gains "a sufficient number of votes" in the prior stage. A spokesman for Franken said he will submit his own, shorter timeline on Thursday.

The decision rests with three district judges appointed to hear the case.

Franken wants to take office before that lawsuit is resolved, but the governor and secretary of state say state law bars them from issuing an election certificate before then. Franken's petition aims to force the officials to act without waiting for Coleman's lawsuit to play out.

Coleman's legal team said they were pleased by the court's decision not to rush the Franken request.

"The Supreme Court's scheduling order has thrown cold water on the Franken campaign's latest power grab," they said in a written statement.

On the election lawsuit, Coleman attorney Tony Trimble said the campaign already is examining documents and holding depositions for witnesses who may be called during the trial.

Under Coleman's proposal, the court would take up disputed absentee ballots first. Both sides claim in court filings that hundreds of absentee ballots were wrongly excluded. They want the exterior of the sealed ballots examined for voter compliance with state law and have incorrectly rejected ballots opened and counted.

A later stage in Coleman's plan would address ballots from Minneapolis that election officials say went missing. The board that oversaw the recount decided to use Election Day machine tallies for that precinct to account for the lost ballots.

Other issues for later consideration include deliberation over ballots with questionable voter intent and a probe into Coleman's argument that some voters had more than one ballot counted.

On the last issue, a group of Coleman supporters said Wednesday they would file legal papers to intervene in the case. They contend that as many as 150 ballots in firmly Democratic Minneapolis precincts were double-counted.

"If even one vote is counted twice, that dilutes and disenfranchises millions of other people whose votes were counted only once," said Tony Sutton, a longtime Republican Party leader.

The group didn't provide physical evidence to support their allegations, which mirror those being made in Coleman's lawsuit. They say that some duplicate ballots made to replace ballots that couldn't be fed through tabulating machines weren't properly marked, making it impossible to link the originals and duplicates. In some cases they say both were counted.

Recount tallies in some precincts exceeded the number of votes picked up by the machines on Nov. 4. But not all election officials have released the polling place sign-in rosters that are a more accurate measure of the number of voters.

It could be impossible to trace original ballots that weren't marked to align with a duplicate, as state law requires. The group's attorney, Doug Seaton, said it's too soon to say what a possible remedy would be.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/minnesota_senate/2009/01/15/171436.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2009, 10:10:41 AM »
Franken-Coleman trial to proceed
Posted: 08:37 AM ET

From CNN All Platform Journalist Chris Welch

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) — The three-judge panel charged with overseeing the trial brought forth by former Republican Sen. Norm Coleman has denied Democrat Al Franken's request to dismiss that trial.

The trial is set to begin Monday and will now proceed as scheduled. Lawyers from both campaigns will be present at a pre-trial hearing and summary judgment Friday, which will set the groundwork for the trial period.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »
Looks like this one is all over by the crying.  http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/franken_votes/2009/04/13/202633.html

Coleman lawyer pledges appeal — in time
Posted: 01:30 PM ET

From CNN All Platform Journalist Chris Welch

An attorney for former Republican Sen. Norm Coleman, pictured above, said they still plan to appeal to the state's high court.
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) – A day after a much-awaited trial court ruling named Democrat Al Franken the winner of Minnesota's U.S. Senate race, an attorney for former Republican Sen. Norm Coleman said they still plan to appeal to the state's high court.

Coleman lawyer Ben Ginsberg emphasized the need for a full review of the ruling over the need for a speedy appeals process. "I would be surprised if it's before next week," he said. "I mean, we're reviewing the 65-page opinion, and I think we'll take time to be sure we review and frame the issues correctly before we file the notice."

The Coleman camp's arguments were shot down from just about every angle in the lower court's decision. But Ginsberg said he has confidence the Minnesota Supreme Court will see their case differently, and focus more on the equal protection argument Coleman had been pursuing all along.

He added that, based on what he's seen in the state Supreme Court's historical rulings, the high court justices will be more conscious of the "rights of voters."

A central theme of their case has been the issue of what they say are mistakenly rejected absentee ballots. Coleman at the onset had asked the trial court to examine more than 4,000 of these ballots. Much to Coleman's chagrin, that number was heavily whittled down. About 350 were opened and counted in the end.

Ginsberg says they'll go back to those 4,000 in the appeal.

"The point is that there are still thousands of voters who have not had their votes counted whose votes should be counted," he said.

Ginsberg also noted they have the direct right to an immediate appeal, so there is no chance the court could refuse to hear the case.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee has already begun fundraising based on the court's decision, sending supporters a message that raises the 2000 Florida recount and accuses Democrats of looking to disenfranchise Minnesota voters. "Republicans, and the NRSC in particular, remain committed to a full and fair resolution of this election contest and stand firmly behind Senator Norm Coleman," said chairman John Cornyn in an e-mail sent to supporters.

Franken's campaign has announced a conference call later in the day Tuesday.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/14/coleman-lawyer-pledges-appeal-in-time/#more-47604