Author Topic: there will be blood - strange film for a bodybuilder  (Read 1320 times)

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
there will be blood - strange film for a bodybuilder
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
so i go see this after all the raving and i thought it was a bit of a letdown. the guy was just thoroughly unlikeable with no redeeming feature and in the end you just feel , what a pointless film for a bodybuilder to watch

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
Re: there will be blood - strange film for a bodybuilder
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »
i was really enjoying it for a long while but it didnt evolve enough after a while. plus, he learned nothing. no redemption and i hated the crazy time jump to the end all of a sudden. the end was hammy too

Jizzacked

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »
I think the idea was to show how truly wicked and unrepentant he was right til the bitter end, with a thorough jab at religion thrown in. though if daniel day lewis wasnt in it the movie would have completely sucked... other than his performance I didn't really feel it.

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »
I think the idea was to show how truly wicked and unrepentant he was right til the bitter end, with a thorough jab at religion thrown in. though if daniel day lewis wasnt in it the movie would have completely sucked... other than his performance I didn't really feel it.

i agree

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »
I think the spooky point they were making is that, as unlikeable as he was, most of us are the same way to some degree.  Haven't you treated people badly, or put a small selfish desire ahead of their need?  Haven't you behaved cruelly to someone who has come to you with love, or knowingly ignored your responsibility to make the right choices for someone else?  Or rejected those who you disagree with but who have offered you a part in their group?  Do you view the world as a hostile, antagonistic place where you have to defeat others in order to succeed?  Would you be someplace else now - a member of a community, a man with a loving family, richer in the things that matter - if you had behaved differently in the past?  Have you learned the lessons you should have learned by now?

...or maybe that's just me.  ;D

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:21:07 AM »
It's a great film for a bodybuilder to watch if you watch the film through a different lens.

First off, change the title: There will be be quads.

Now, replace oil in the film with an olympia crown.

Starts to make more sense doesn't it?

Now, replace what the preacher was after with a big supply of juice. Now we can clearly understand what happened in the bowling alley.

Get it now?
The answer is "yes".

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:02:48 AM »
Lewis was great though. But you're right, the plot lacked a certain closure. Typically, the protagonist should redeem himself, if this is classic hollywood.

The fact that the main character learns nothing makes the film remarkable. He died as he lived. In that sense, it was more true to life than story. After all, do any of us really change?

Art aside, I still found the plot frustrating in its methodical plodding. I would have applied a heavy hand in the editing suite to that puppy.
I am glad the film didn't succomb to typical holywood sentimentality

Cromespyder

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:09:58 AM »
i enjoyed the movie.

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:50:44 AM »
so i go see this after all the raving and i thought it was a bit of a letdown. the guy was just thoroughly unlikeable with no redeeming feature and in the end you just feel , what a pointless film for a bodybuilder to watch

Clearly any film interesting enough to not to have a likeable protagonist is pointless for this particular bodybuilder. Stick to kids films and action fare.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »
daniel day lewis is no stranger to heavy dumbell work:

Deep Tissue Massage

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »
It's a great film for a bodybuilder to watch if you watch the film through a different lens.

First off, change the title: There will be be quads.

Now, replace oil in the film with an olympia crown.

Starts to make more sense doesn't it?

Now, replace what the preacher was after with a big supply of juice. Now we can clearly understand what happened in the bowling alley.

Get it now?
i need to re-watch that film !

ahh.. fk

• Getbig III
  • Greed is good
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »
His acting was amazing. For such a gentle person in real life to be such a tough mother was great. The ending was stupid though.