Author Topic: Mormons taking over California?  (Read 8058 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Mormons taking over California?
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
they're the ones that put it on the ballot, they're the ones that pumped $20 million into it, more than anyone else.

and there are many religious organizations campaigning against prop 8

Your link shows the "Santa Clara Council of Churches."  Are those the "many relious organizations" you're talking about? 

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
Warren Jeffs lived in 1890, eh?

Jeffs isn't a "Mormon."  In fact I wish he'd change the name of his church to something more dissimilar just to avoid any further confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter_Day_Saints

Quote from: Wikipedia
The FLDS Church emerged in the early 1900s when its founding members left The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The split occurred largely because of the LDS Church's renunciation of polygamy and its decision to excommunicate practitioners of plural marriage.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »
to all the mormons out there

personally I don't give a shit if you have one wife or ten wives or no wives

I'm talking to the men of course

we all know women can't have wives

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »
As of this moment, with 9% of CA precincts reporting:

For Prop 8:  53%
Against:      47%

Basically too close to call at this point.

EDIT:  56% for, 44% against with 16% of precincts reporting.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »
This will go great until some judge in SF screws it all up again.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »

Is that possible?  The state judges have to interpret the state constitution and the people of California are about to change the state constitution. 

Now that I think it about it and what those handful of judges have already done, never mind. . . .

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2008, 10:23:26 PM »

Yep...  who needs democracy when liberal judges can just legislate from the bench?  They're smarter and wiser and know better anyway, so who cares what the majority thinks.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2008, 10:30:40 PM »
Is that possible?  The state judges have to interpret the state constitution and the people of California are about to change the state constitution. 

Now that I think it about it what those handful of judges have already done, never mind. . . .

maybe we shoudl just get rid of judges and let Joe the Plumber and Sarah the Governor make legal decisions

Congrats CA on being the first state to re-write the state constitution to take away the rights of your citizens

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
maybe we shoudl just get rid of judges and let Joe the Plumber and Sarah the Governor make legal decisions

Congrats CA on being the first state to re-write the state constitution to take away the rights of your citizens

You mean we didn't rewrite the state constitution in Hawaii to ban homosexual marriage?  Do some homework. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »
You mean we didn't rewrite the state constitution in Hawaii to ban homosexual marriage?  Do some homework. 

Did the Supreme Court of Hawaii first rule that banning gay marriage was a violation of equal protection under the state constitution

If so then I stand corrected and Hawaii sucks too

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2008, 10:39:25 PM »
Did the Supreme Court of Hawaii first rule that banning gay marriage was a violation of equal protection under the state constitution

If so then I stand corrected and Hawaii sucks too

Pretty much.  A number of states of have amended their constitutions to ban homosexual marriage. 

In fact, the Arizona and Florida measures amended their state constitutions. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2008, 10:42:35 PM »
Pretty much.  A number of states of have amended their constitutions to ban homosexual marriage. 

The California Supreme court ruled that banning gay marriage was a violation of the equal protection clause of the constitution...i.e. gay people have and should have always had the right to get married.   

Prop 8 rescinds that right.

Was that what happened in Hawaii?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »
The California Supreme court ruled that banning gay marriage was a violation of the equal protection clause of the constitution...i.e. gay people have and should have always had the right to get married.   

Prop 8 rescinds that right.

Was that what happened in Hawaii?

Same thing.  Three justices on the Hawaii Supreme Court effectively ruled that denying homosexual marriage was discrimination on the basis of sex.  We subsequently amended the state constitution, just like Florida and California are doing today.  Passed by 70 percent and we are arguably the most liberal state in the country.   

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »

Nobody took away any rights of the gays. They have the SAME rights as anyone else...

They can marry someone of the opposite sex, just like the rest of us.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Nobody took away any rights of the gays. They have the SAME rights as anyone else...

They can marry someone of the opposite sex, just like the rest of us.

True.  That was what the minority on the state supreme court here argued:  the law "discriminates" against both sexes equally. 

Le4rner

• Getbig II
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2008, 11:21:36 PM »
I support gay marriage if both chicks are hot....  lol  Okay had to get that out of the way.

I think it is safe to assume MOST people are straight. That a man and a woman join to create new life to me is evidence this is the intended design of our evolution.  Where I think most Hetero people fail to support the gay community is, when I am porking my wife, I might be ensuring life goes on after I am gone.  The physical act of our sex has a function of the species.  

Gay sex, (not sure but in hetero relationships, sex sort of seals the marriage) does not have this purpose.  It is done purely for pleasure.  No other reason.  

I myself have had sex purely to reproduce.  Sex while a female is pregnant in the last trimester also helps loosen up the canal for the baby.

I guess my question is what needs protection.  I like having my wife and children protected, but if you are 2 guys or 2 girls... what is really going on?  I mean just to have the piece of paper and commitment to each other?  My marriage ensures I have rights to my children and they to me.  I know you can adopt or for women they can artificially inseminate, I am going to say for most kids, that will bug the shit out of them not knowing who dad was.  Medical history alone.

I guess my point over all is for every argument for gay marriage they all seem to fall a bit short as to why hetero couples get married.  Truth be told, thats why people oppose it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »
True.  That was what the minority on the state supreme court here argued:  the law "discriminates" against both sexes equally. 

Kind of sounds like the "separate but equal" argument only worse.  The judge actually admitted that it was discriminatory

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »
the gov has not always had there hand in marriage so to speak.marriage is a religious ceremony.the only reason the gov. got involved is why they always get involved $money$.they seen they could charge for a marrage licence.
DAWG