Author Topic: Mormons taking over California?  (Read 8036 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Mormons taking over California?
« on: November 03, 2008, 06:00:01 AM »

Hmmm...

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
Re: Mormons taking over California?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:25:16 AM »
Mexican Mormons?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:09:44 AM »
Hmmm...

?   Lots of needles pointing up in the air here.   ;D

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:43:33 AM »
WTF??  ???

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:33:08 AM »
He's talking about Prop 8 in CA.  The Mormon church has taken a somewhat controversial stand in favor of it.  Well the stand isn't controversial per se, just that the church is getting involved in the debate--some people seem to have a problem with that.

Are the Mormons taking over CA any more than any other conservative group who's voting according to their beliefs?

The way I understand it (I don't live in CA), Prop 8 doesn't illegalize gays forming civil unions, it just wants to avoid watering down the word "marriage" to mean anything other than the union of a man and a woman.

For the record, I am Mormon and can see both sides of this issue since people close to me are gay and are following this issue very closely.

Perhaps it might seem like hair-splitting over semantics...  but once you open up that door...  what's next?  People marrying their pets?  People marrying their car, or their house, and making it legal and claiming legal benefits?  I mean maybe it sounds stupid but it's opening up the door for all sorts of legal loopholes.  So it's complicated and I'm not exactly sure where I stand on it yet...  but it doesn't matter because I don't live in CA and I'm not voting on it anyway.

Proposition 8 is an initiative state constitutional amendment on the 2008 California General Election ballot, titled Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry.  If passed, the proposition would "change the California Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry in California."  A new section would be added stating "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 09:36:47 AM »
He's talking about Prop 8 in CA.  The Mormon church has taken a somewhat controversial stand in favor of it.  Well the stand isn't controversial per se, just that the church is getting involved in the debate--some people seem to have a problem with that.

Are the Mormons taking over CA any more than any other conservative group who's voting according to their beliefs?

The way I understand it (I don't live in CA), Prop 8 doesn't illegalize gays forming civil unions, it just wants to avoid watering down the word "marriage" to mean anything other than the union of a man and a woman.

For the record, I am Mormon and can see both sides of this issue since people close to me are gay and are following this issue very closely.

Perhaps it might seem like hair-splitting over semantics...  but once you open up that door...  what's next?  People marrying their pets?  People marrying their car, or their house, and making it legal and claiming legal benefits?  I mean maybe it sounds stupid but it's opening up the door for all sorts of legal loopholes.  So it's complicated and I'm not exactly sure where I stand on it yet...  but it doesn't matter because I don't live in CA and I'm not voting on it anyway.

Dan-O, marriage is a religious institution.

Gay couples should be allowed to enjoy (if there is such a term for marriage  ;)) the same marriage tax penalties that straight couples currently enjoy. Otherwise, it's discrimination.

Maybe if we have married gay couples paying more taxes it'll (mabye... just maybe) result in a tax cut for us all.  ;D

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
He's talking about Prop 8 in CA.  The Mormon church has taken a somewhat controversial stand in favor of it.

well, it's a bit more than that.  they're pouring $20 million into it.

Well the stand isn't controversial per se, just that the church is getting involved in the debate--some people seem to have a problem with that.

some people could see that they're trying to legislate their morality.

same sex marriage has been legal in California since this summer.    prop 8 is trying to end that, trying to take away existing rights, trying to put discrimination into the state constitution.

Perhaps it might seem like hair-splitting over semantics...  but once you open up that door...  what's next?  People marrying their pets?  People marrying their car, or their house, and making it legal and claiming legal benefits?

how many people are already in loving committed relationships with their pets or their houses?  there are hundreds of millions of people in committed loving same sex relationships.    you just equated them to bestiality and wonder why people think you're a bigot.

btw, former QB Steve Young and his wife have come out against prop 8.  (be sure to read the comments) Steve is the great-great-great-grandson of Brigham Young.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »
Dan-O, marriage is a religious institution.

it is also a civil institution, with thousands of protections and benefits.   people get married without the involvement of a church all the time.   no religious institute is required to conduct same sex marriages.  but some religious organizations have been, without the recognition of the state, for years and years

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
Mormon Chiicks love it in the ass.  I love going to Salt Lake City  and Park City!!

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
Mormon Chiicks love it in the ass.  I love going to Salt Lake City  and Park City!!

This is true...  :o  Something else that's equally true:

Q:  How do you get a Mormon girl to stop having sex?

A:  You marry her.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »

Suuuuurrrre they were chicks. That's why they only wanted the A2O.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:57:07 AM »

Do you wear the magic Mormon underwear?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »
This is true...  :o  Something else that's equally true:

Q:  How do you get a Mormon girl to stop having sex?

A:  You marry her.

Might be the reasoning behind legalizing gay marriage as they are trying to get gays to stop having sex.   :D

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
just a little over the top (ya think?)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 04:46:16 PM »

I think it gets the point across rather well.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »

didn't the church innitiate prop 8?  Looks like the backers mostly come from religious groups.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »
didn't the church innitiate prop 8?  Looks like the backers mostly come from religious groups.

Yes they did... The people in California have already decided we don't give a shit about Gay marriage... The majority has decided it's fine... This is simply the squeaky wheel getting greased... I can't wait to see their money wasted... I don't know anyone in California who is going to vote FOR prop 8.

Well, except for Joe maybe... which is assuredly his right... and I support it Joe. I just don't agree with it.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 05:46:57 PM »
Regardless of how I personally feel about gays who act artsy - I don't see any rational argument I personally could have against gay marriages and rights in general.
Ok, I'm no fan of gay culture or lifestyle - will and grace is pure torture if you ask me - but there are really no reasonable arguments against their rights.
Sure, in Islamo-fascist countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran - what is to be expected.
But in the civilised world?   
As empty as paradise

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »

Wow... the left does fear mongering too!

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 06:30:27 PM »
Regardless of how I personally feel about gays who act artsy

ok, that's about 3% of the people who are gay.  how do you feel about everyone else?

will and grace is pure torture if you ask me

me too.  But Noah's Arc is a hoot.  (season 2 was much better than season 1, though)

btw, I've met Darryl Stephens, and he's nothing like his character.  (it's called acting)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »
... but once you open up that door...  what's next?

If you let the 'prophet' and board of directors in Salt Lake City determine what your marriage rights are, how long will it be before they decide to set other policies for you as well? 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 08:30:30 PM »
Yes they did... The people in California have already decided we don't give a shit about Gay marriage... The majority has decided it's fine... This is simply the squeaky wheel getting greased... I can't wait to see their money wasted... I don't know anyone in California who is going to vote FOR prop 8.

Well, except for Joe maybe... which is assuredly his right... and I support it Joe. I just don't agree with it.

Ummmm, didn't the majority already vote AGAINST gay 'marriage'? Isn't the issue that those 4 judges in SF overruled the will of the people?

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »
There are gay people in California??

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 09:04:04 PM »
Ummmm, didn't the majority already vote AGAINST gay 'marriage'? Isn't the issue that those 4 judges in SF overruled the will of the people?

Yes. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »
Yes, we have liberals here. Sorry to say.....