Author Topic: Swing States Erupt  (Read 2268 times)

The Coach

Swing States Erupt
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »
Posted: November 02, 2008
8:40 pm Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

Sen. John McCain's Republican campaign is looking to capitalize on an interview in which Sen. Barack Obama proposed placing such heavy government fees on coal plants that the industry would either have to clean its emissions or go "bankrupt."

"If somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can," Obama said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."

Publicity over the plan to use "carbon credits" to force the coal industry to either clean up its emissions or get out of business comes on the heels of news that Obama plans to use "price signals" to control America's energy use, and Republicans have pounced on Obama's words with an aggressive campaign in the coal-rich battleground states of Ohio and Pennsylvania.

ABC News reports a robocall being made to voters that focuses on Obama's "bankrupt" comment.

"I'm calling on behalf of John McCain and the RNC to tell you that coal jobs, which are so important to our community are in jeopardy," says the call. "Listen to Barack Obama's plans to bankrupt the coal industry." The call then plays audio of Obama's words, quoted above.

An audio clip of Obama's comments, compiled by Naked Emperor News and widely circulated on YouTube and NewsBusters.com, can be heard below.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: Swing States Erupt
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »
 ::)

io856

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:19:07 AM »
watch out! this man is armed with an opinion!  ::)

...and one vote  ;)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
obama will win, get over it

E
E

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:34:50 AM »

Another teh earl owning ;)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »
whats the matter coach why didnt you post this with your cell phone

Z

The Coach

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:42:56 AM »
Ohio Coal Association Says Obama Remarks Make It Clear: Obama Ticket Not Supportive of Coal 

Nov 3 11:42 AM US/Eastern
 Write a Comment         

COLUMBUS, Ohio, Nov. 3 /PRNewswire--USNewswire/ -- Mike Carey, president of the Ohio Coal Association (OCA), today issued the following statement in response to just-released remarks from Senator Barack Obama about the nation's coal industry.

"Regardless of the timing or method of the release of these remarks, the message from the Democratic candidate for President could not be clearer: the Obama-Biden ticket spells disaster for America's coal industry and the tens of thousands of Americans who work in it.

"These undisputed, audio-taped remarks, which include comments from Senator Obama like 'I haven't been some coal booster' and 'if they want to build [coal plants], they can, but it will bankrupt them' are extraordinarily misguided.

"It's evident that this campaign has been pandering in states like Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana and Pennsylvania to attempt to generate votes from coal supporters, while keeping his true agenda hidden from the state's voters.

"Senator Obama has revealed himself to be nothing more than a short- sighted, inexperienced politician willing to say anything to get a vote. But today, the nation's coal industry and those who support it have a better understanding of his true mission, to 'bankrupt' our industry, put tens of thousands out of work and cause unprecedented increases in electricity prices.

"In addition to providing an affordable, reliable source of low-cost electricity, domestic coal holds the key to our nation's long-term energy security - a goal that cannot be overlooked during this time of international instability and economic uncertainty.

"Few policy areas are more important to our economic future than energy issues. As voters head to the polls tomorrow, it is essential they remember that access to reliable, affordable, domestic energy supplies is essential to economic growth and stability."

The Ohio Coal Association (OCA) is a non-profit trade association representing the interests of Ohio's underground and surface coal mining producers. The OCA represents nearly 40 coal producing companies and more than 50 Associate Members, which include suppliers and consultants to the mining industry, coal sales agents and brokers and allied industries. The Ohio Coal Association is committed to advancing the development and utilization of Ohio coal as an abundant, economic and environmentally sound energy source.

SOURCE Ohio Coal Association
Copyright 2008 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »
In order to win, McCain has to win all 8 of the swing states, and steal Penn from Obama.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »

E

Joe may have to be dragged off to a padded cell if Obama wins :)

The Coach

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 09:48:01 AM »
In order to win, McCain has to win all 8 of the swing states, and steal Penn from Obama.

I know.......I also know McCain won't win.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:49:01 AM »

E

Coach,
If a western PA redneck, racist like Earl is saying this you know it's time to throw in the towel.
$

The Coach

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
Coach,
If a western PA redneck, racist like Earl is saying this you know it's time to throw in the towel.

Like I said, I know McCain isn't going to win. I've accepted that. I just can't believe people that voted for him are that naive. Oh well.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »
Coach,

i'm not a redneck and i'm not racist ::)

E
E

The Coach

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 09:55:33 AM »
i'm not a redneck and i'm not racist ::)

E

Obama; "Are you a bitter American clinging to his guns?"

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
Like I said, I know McCain isn't going to win. I've accepted that. I just can't believe people that voted for him are that naive. Oh well.

can obama be any worse than Bush?  I don't think so.

MattT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Sponsored by: PVL Sports Nutrition
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »
I know.......I also know McCain won't win.

:o

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 09:57:01 AM »

not me 8)

we do have a lot of rednecks around here i have to admit :-\

E
E

The Coach

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »
can obama be any worse than Bush?  I don't think so.

IMO, he'll be worse than Carter.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »
IMO, he'll be worse than Carter.

but in your opinion you think bush is a good president :-\

E
E

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:33 AM »

Joe, you are a wealthy guy living in Cali.

Five years ago, I left my teaching career making 40k a year and struggled for 18 months when i went back to school full time while earning computer certifications and MBA.

For 18 months, I lived in a trailer park. 

And I can tell you first hand, that the people who live there DO live by their guns and their bibles.  They have no health care, for the most part, so they cling to religion/faith and they know they'll die young.  Also, trailer parks are some unsafe places.  I clung to my guns like crazy when I lived there - peolpe walking thru your yards, stealing shit, etc.

So before you claim Obama is wrong, Joe, I encourage you to spend some time talking to the 47-year old woman with ovarian cancer (and no cancer) living in a high-crime trailer park.  You'll see they are fvckin bitter, and they do cling to religion and guns.  And if anyone says I'm wrong - you're full of shit, I'm afraid.  I have been there.  It sucks big time.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 10:13:06 AM »
is joe really making more than 250 grand a year?

E
E

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »
Joe: McCain screamed and flapped his arms, but the Coal Miners' Union disagrees!

Miners' union: McCain camp 'twisting truth' on Obama, coal

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Miners_union_McCain_camp_twisting_truth_1103.html

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:14 AM »
Let me guess, Coach got tired of having his ass handed to him in the Politics forum so he came here for a new audience.

And still got his ass handed to him.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »
is joe really making more than 250 grand a year?

E

Not unless his unemployed ass robs a bank.

Because he was fired from his job.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »
At least if Obama wins (and I hope he does) he'll save the U.S from the shit that idiot bush has done to it, if McCain wins you guys will just sink deeper and deeper. At this point McCain will say anything to get a vote, it's obvious. At least Obama supports some real issues and reform.