Author Topic: Rumor of CB Deangelo Hall being released from the Raiders this week  (Read 1760 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Sources: Raiders could release CB Hall as soon as Wednesday
By Chris Mortensen and John Clayton
ESPN.com

Updated: November 5, 2008, 10:42 AM ET
Comment
 Email
 Print

Raiders Expected To Release DeAngelo HallAngered by the Oakland Raiders' 2-6 start, team owner Al Davis asked his front office staff to explore the possibility of releasing several players, including cornerback DeAngelo Hall, according to multiple sources.

The Raiders are expected to release Hall on Wednesday, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The process started on Monday, a day after the Raiders' embarrassing 24-0 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Davis, looking ahead to rest of the season and to 2009, asked his staff to study a list of potential players who could be let go before the end of the week or after the season, sources said.

One source said the list included more than a dozen names. The Raiders' front-office staff studied the cap consequences of releasing high-priced veteran players. He also wanted his staff to see if other teams might claim any of these players on waivers.

The team was planning to make the move to release Hall on Tuesday before holding off, according to NFL.com. The Raiders have paid Hall $8 million for eight games, and also gave Atlanta a second-round pick for his services.

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

NFL.com reported that the move to waive him now helps the Raiders avoid paying Hall $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract.

Hall has 48 tackles and three interceptions for the Raiders, including a season-high eight tackles Sunday against the Falcons.

Hall isn't the only Raider under consideration for release. Wide receiver Javon Walker received an $11 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary this year, but he has only 13 catches in his first seven games with the Raiders. The other players on Davis' list are unknown.

At his Monday press conference, interim Raiders coach Tom Cable said he was thinking of making more changes in the starting lineup. Since taking over for Lane Kiffin, Cable has benched wide receiver Ronald Curry and safety Michael Huff. If Davis gets his way, some changes might be permanent.

Unreal. This guy is not even 25 years old yet and a two-time pro-bowler. If he is released, then I hope Ravens make a real pitch for this guy because we are decimated at the CB position with Mcallister and Rolle out.

What a mess the Raiders organization is.....holy shit! One thing's for sure, if Hall is released he will not be unemployed for very long.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
Re: Rumor of CB Deangelo Hall being released from the Raiders this week
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:07:18 PM »
Just became official: Released by the Raiders. I am stunned beyond belief that Oakland has parted ways with a player of his caliber at mid-season!

Check out his numbers:

Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2004 ATL   10 35    28      7    6   0.5   1    0    2   50    1
2005 ATL   15 65    58      7   10   0.0   1    0    6  177   0
2006 ATL   16 58    51      7   16   0.0   0    0    4   131  1
2007 ATL   16 70    63      7   16   0.0   1    0    5    80   0
2008 OAK    8 48    43      5   13   0.5   0    0    3    31   0
Career       65 276 243     33  61   1.0   3    0   20  469   2

20 career picks at 24 years old and 6 career defensive touchdowns on either INT's or fumble returns.

If the Ravens don't make a serious play for this guy, I would be shocked and amazed. Chris Mcallister is possibly out for the year. Samari Rolle is coming off neck surgery and Dawan landry is still recovering from a spinal injury. That's three starters OUT.

Make it happen Ozzie Newsome!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »
Just became official: Released by the Raiders. I stunned beyond belief that Oakland has parted ways with a player of his caliber at mid-season!

Check out his numbers:

Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2004 ATL   10 35    28      7    6   0.5   1    0    2   50    1
2005 ATL   15 65    58      7   10   0.0   1    0    6  177   0
2006 ATL   16 58    51      7   16   0.0   0    0    4   131  1
2007 ATL   16 70    63      7   16   0.0   1    0    5    80   0
2008 OAK    8 48    43      5   13   0.5   0    0    3    31   0
Career       65 276 243     33  61   1.0   3    0   20  469   2

20 career picks at 24 years old and 6 career defensive touchdowns on either INT's or fumble recoveries.

If the Ravens don't make a serious play for this guy, I would be shocked and amazed. Chris Mcallister is possibly out for the year. Samari Rolle is coming off neck surgery and Dawan landry is still recovering from a spinal injury. That's three starters OUT.

Make it happen Ozzie Newsome!!

Nothing the Raiders do shocks me anymore.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:43:37 AM »
Too late. The Skins snatched him up already. :-[

He was unemployed for what.....2 days?

Ravens messed up not getting this kid. Mcallister is out for the year and also maybe Landry. Rolle is a good cover corner but he's 32 and injury-prone. Back-up Derrick Martin is out for the year also.

Now are starting CB's our Frank Walker and Fabian Washington, with very little depth behind Corey Ivy.

I just don't get it.....highly dissapointed the Ravens didn't get this done.

body88

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »
Too late. The Skins snatched him up already. :-[

He was unemployed for what.....2 days?

Ravens messed up not getting this kid. Mcallister is out for the year and also maybe Landry.  Rolle is a good cover corner but he's 32 and injury-prone. Back-up Derrick Martin is out for the year also.

Now our starting CB's our Frank Walker and Fabian Washington.

I just don't get it.....highly dissapointed the Ravens didn't get this done.

I feel the same about the pats.  Wheatley broke his wrist last week, and our secondary is filled with rookies.  Wilhite and Wheatley are good players, but with Wheatley getting hurt, I cannot understand why the pats didn't pony up 500 grand to rent this goof for a year.

The injuries are very severe this year, it's a miracle the pats are 5-3 right now.  Morris, Jordan, Maroney, Brady, Wheatley, Kasczur, Crable, Tank, Harrison, Neal and Wright all on ir, or gone for long periods of time.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 02:36:26 PM »
I agree. Hall is basically auditioning himself for a new long term contract with either the Redskins or the entire NFL over the next eight games.

I just think he's a terrific player with excellent playmaking instincts. He's a bit of a head case but I think he would have easily settled in Ray Lewis' locker room.

I still think they should look into getting him in the offseason as a long term replacement for either Mcallister and Rolle. Both players are over 31 years of age and Hall will only be 25 going into his fifth year.

body88

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 03:11:42 PM »
I agree. Hall is basically auditioning himself for a new long term contract with either the Redskins or the entire NFL over the next eight games.

I just think he's a terrific player with excellent playmaking instincts. He's a bit of a head case but I think he would have easily settled in Ray Lewis' locker room.

I still think they should look into getting him in the offseason as a long term replacement for either Mcallister and Rolle. Both players are over 31 years of age and Hall will only be 25 going into his fifth year.

There is NO RISK in giving this guy 500 grand for the rest of the year.  No idea why either of our teams passed on him, dumb.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 01:28:08 AM »
There is NO RISK in giving this guy 500 grand for the rest of the year.  No idea why either of our teams passed on him, dumb.

Attitude problems, perhaps. But yeah, 500k for a player with a lot of upside is not a bad gamble. A lot of teams out there could have benefited from picking him up......

My Raiders fan (buddy) says he was getting beat left and right, every game.
HAHA, RON.....

body88

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »
Attitude problems, perhaps. But yeah, 500k for a player with a lot of upside is not a bad gamble. A lot of teams out there could have benefited from picking him up......

If he flashes any attitude issues you can cut him.  There is no risk with a deal like this imo.  500 grand is nothing, some ps players make that.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »

That's because the rest of the Raiders defense suck. No pass rush, No safety and linebacker help. Plus with as bad as their offense is, he probably was on the field waaay too much.

Sure he's a headcase, but so was Randy Moss (also an ex Raider) and look what he's doing on a good football team. I'd probably be a headcase too if I was on two losing teams in a row and had that much talent. Iwould have loved him on the Eagles even though we are loaded at CB. I don't understand why the Ravens didn't give him at least a look. He would have been perfect there with such a good defense around him. Oh yeah, I'd like to personally thank the Patriots for giving us Asante Samuel. That boy can play. I think he's probably one of the quickest players I've ever seen break towards the ball. Great off season pick up for us.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
I've always said it. Asante Samuel is argubly the best playmaking CB in football. It was a huge mistake for New England letting him go. This guy is not even in his prime yet and only capable of getting better.

Body88 can say what he wants but New England could sure use him right now. But they didn't want to pay him. Lurie was only too happy to give him the big money. Some players are worth it.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:19:30 AM »

Lurie was only too happy to give him the big money. Some players are worth it.

Probably because he was tired of him killing us everytime we played New England.
I Bleed PhillyEagle