Author Topic: I'm back and wasn't allowed to vote.  (Read 926 times)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
I'm back and wasn't allowed to vote.
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:13:30 AM »
Apparently, last times I filled out a paper ballots (2004) the nitwits they hire didn't do something properly and my vote wasn't counted which caused my registration to expire. After being turned away at the poll, I went the the board of elections to register but couldn't have voted without a court order. I was given a number for the state supreme court judge's clerk, called and left a message. No one returned the call so I drove to the county courthouse (which was closed). Tried calling 4 more times and then called another clerk for the judge that came on at 2PM. Called the board of elections again and was given the Judge's personal number.... spoke with him to plead my case (as it were) and he said granting an order to allow my vote to be cast wasn't possible because there wouldn't be a registration to check against a paper ballot so it wouldn't count anyways. For whatever reason, my position wasn't strong enough to justify using a machine and someone completing the paperwork necessary to explain the difference between roll and machine counts.

Decided to keep my 2 day ban in effect and not post about it until now.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
Re: I'm back and wasn't allowed to vote.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
  It's all a big scheme, perpetrated by "THE MAN" to keep a brother down.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:18:38 AM »
Sorry dude.  That really sucks.   :-\

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »
Apparently, last times I filled out a paper ballots (2004) the nitwits they hire didn't do something properly and my vote wasn't counted which caused my registration to expire. After being turned away at the poll, I went the the board of elections to register but couldn't have voted without a court order. I was given a number for the state supreme court judge's clerk, called and left a message. No one returned the call so I drove to the county courthouse (which was closed). Tried calling 4 more times and then called another clerk for the judge that came on at 2PM. Called the board of elections again and was given the Judge's personal number.... spoke with him to plead my case (as it were) and he said granting an order to allow my vote to be cast wasn't possible because there wouldn't be a registration to check against a paper ballot so it wouldn't count anyways. For whatever reason, my position wasn't strong enough to justify using a machine and someone completing the paperwork necessary to explain the difference between roll and machine counts.

Decided to keep my 2 day ban in effect and not post about it until now.

Wow Jake, ...sorry to hear that happened to you.  :'(

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=244805.0
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »
the entire system needs an overhaul, has for years.  I'm sure it can't be perfect but it could be many times better.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »
Stuff happens, I guess.

The actor's case is different. They had my name on record but have no evidence of votes since 2000. A court order would only have worked if my name was active in the system and had been missing from the ballot.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »
Thats crazy man.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
Calling a second judge didn't seem reasonable.

Ultimately I'm responsible for neglecting to make sure my registration was current. I had four years to do some sort of follow-up after being required to do a write in in 2004.

It was/is annoying but this isn't a case of justice denied. There was plenty of time to make sure the last idiot did their job properly.