Author Topic: Iboprofen effects on muscle?  (Read 1710 times)

MoralMan

• Getbig III
Iboprofen effects on muscle?
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »
Is it true iboprofen can affect muscle gains and strength?I get headaches and regularly take it

ironjoe

• Getbig III
Re: Iboprofen effects on muscle?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:47:56 AM »
Ya it is true and sucks too.  I try and stay away from it but some times ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.  Maybe you are overtrained a little.  I hate to say that word as I love lots of volume and few rest days but I do find a day away really gets rid of my headaches. 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »
Helped the elderly put on muscle and strength though.

Hard to know if it hinders bodybuilding any.

dustin

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »
There have been a few pretty recent studies to show that it's affects on muscular hypertrophy are close to nill. Yes, it is an anti inflammatory but it's not going to do much in real life. I used to become fearful that taking NSAIDs after a workout or later in the day would negate the workout I just had, but now my concerns are quelled.

I have amazingly painful migraines and tried to abstain from using NSAIDs but now I take them as needed. I only take generic, liquid advil because it's cheap, effective and does the least damage imho. No need to worry. If you're taking NSAIDs on a regular basis though, you need to get to the root of the problem. I personally smoke marijuana which alleviates my headaches and migraines almost magically. Far better than any drug the doctors have put me on.

Keep your diet in check, rest up appropriately, sleep well (HUUUUUUGE FACTOR), don't abuse stimulants, meditate or do something relaxing EVERYDAY, eat well, stay hydrated, be happy and live as stress free as possible. The best thing to do is to avoid getting a headache in the first place, then you won't have to take any sort of NSAID.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
who cares, as if you could notice that difference in muscle size at the end.

vice1

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Muscle!!! Get It!!!! GetBig!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
muscle is all that counts  8)

dustin

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »

True. But the thing is, there was so much confusion about NSAIDs and muscular hypertrophy. If someone takes them on a regular basis, who's to say if they're just wasting their time at the gym? Fortunately, after reading a lot of discussions on other forums about the matter it seems like the general consensus is that if hypertrophy is blunted, you won't notice it lol... it's too minuscule. Thank goodness!

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »
There have been a few pretty recent studies to show that it's affects on muscular hypertrophy are close to nill. Yes, it is an anti inflammatory but it's not going to do much in real life. I used to become fearful that taking NSAIDs after a workout or later in the day would negate the workout I just had, but now my concerns are quelled.

I have amazingly painful migraines and tried to abstain from using NSAIDs but now I take them as needed. I only take generic, liquid advil because it's cheap, effective and does the least damage imho. No need to worry. If you're taking NSAIDs on a regular basis though, you need to get to the root of the problem. I personally smoke marijuana which alleviates my headaches and migraines almost magically. Far better than any drug the doctors have put me on.

Keep your diet in check, rest up appropriately, sleep well (HUUUUUUGE FACTOR), don't abuse stimulants, meditate or do something relaxing EVERYDAY, eat well, stay hydrated, be happy and live as stress free as possible. The best thing to do is to avoid getting a headache in the first place, then you won't have to take any sort of NSAID.

dustin, i'm curious as to why you take liquid advil? is it more effective than the pills?

body88

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »
Is it true iboprofen can affect muscle gains and strength?I get headaches and regularly take it

Yes, it will make you gain .000000000001% less muscle over a 12 year span, and I would offset this by rinsing some ground beef. :D  It's much better to train with a pounding headache than risk losing a single ounce of muscle over the next 12 years!  ;)

I used to be crazy about ratios that I took in, pain pills stunting muscle gains, and all that crazy shit.  Come to find out I am making the exact same gains by training hard and not obsessing over dumb shit like taking an Advil before I train.  Try it, see what happens. 

dustin

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
dustin, i'm curious as to why you take liquid advil? is it more effective than the pills?

Hits you faster. I don't have anything to back this up but I would imagine that a gel cap would break up faster than a pill full of binders. Plus the advil is suspended in a gel so it should hit you a lot quicker... either way, in practice, it works for me. So no complaints here. I wish I didn't puss out years ago and just continued to take this stuff. Sometimes I'd just put up with a harsh migraine and wait until I could finally fall asleep and wake up the next day. :-\

body88

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 01:43:40 PM »
Hits you faster. I don't have anything to back this up but I would imagine that a gel cap would break up faster than a pill full of binders. Plus the advil is suspended in a gel so it should hit you a lot quicker... either way, in practice, it works for me. So no complaints here. I wish I didn't puss out years ago and just continued to take this stuff. Sometimes I'd just put up with a harsh migraine and wait until I could finally fall asleep and wake up the next day. :-\

Exactly.  Who cares how good you look if you can't even stand due to a severe migraine.  Any negative effects from taking a normal amount of a nsaid are not going to show.  Bodybuilding manifest obsessive compulsive behavior, it's just not healthy at a certain point - imo.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 01:44:14 PM »
I've read studies that argue both sides of the NSAID argument, and both were convincing, so it's a wash.

I suffered from major sinus headaches last year and took ibuprofin or tylenol a few times a day, and sat at around 160 pounds the whole time.  Even went to the doctor - and I hate doctors - and got antiobiotics for sinusitis and the resulting broncialitis (or something like that)

Then I discovered hot sauce to break up sinuses and prevent the headaches.  I'm now weighing 190 or so, exactly a year later.  My whole family has headaches just as bad as last year, but I don't, and my weight isn't shrinking due to nonstop medicine use.  I did use sudafed too, which is a poor man's ephidrine.

So as someone mentioned - if medicinal green cures your headache, so be it.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »

I used to be the same way, I'd go all day with a pounding headache because I'd heard or read that nsaids were bad. A couple years ago I finally said fuck that and now when I get one I want something that knocks it out fast. I'll try the liquid advil, makes sense what you're saying about it working faster than the pills.

body88

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »
I've read studies that argue both sides of the NSAID argument, and both were convincing, so it's a wash.

I suffered from major sinus headaches last year and took ibuprofin or tylenol a few times a day, and sat at around 160 pounds the whole time.  Even went to the doctor - and I hate doctors - and got antiobiotics for sinusitis and the resulting broncialitis (or something like that)

Then I discovered hot sauce to break up sinuses and prevent the headaches.  I'm now weighing 190 or so, exactly a year later.  My whole family has headaches just as bad as last year, but I don't, and my weight isn't shrinking due to nonstop medicine use.  I did use sudafed too, which is a poor man's ephidrine.

I dont think ibuprofen or Tylenol kept 30 lbs of weight off you.   Thats way to much size to attribute to taking a few pain pills each day.  Thats a monster size difference.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 01:47:48 PM »

I dont think ibuprofen or Tylenol kept 30 lbs of weight off you.   Thats way to much size to attribute to taking a few pain pills each day.  Thats a monster size difference.

Agreed -  I attributed more of it to 2-4 doses of sudafed per day.  It's a poor man's ephedrine.  I bruised a ton last year too - someone said it was all the nsaids.  I never bruise at all anymore.

Plus I started creatine too - that blew me up as well.

body88

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »
Agreed -  I attributed more of it to 2-4 doses of sudafed per day.  It's a poor man's ephedrine.  I bruised a ton last year too - someone said it was all the nsaids.  I never bruise at all anymore.

Plus I started creatine too - that blew me up as well.

Maybe it effects people differently.  I used to take a dose of sudafed each night back when I had some trouble getting to sleep.  I was heavier then.  I did notice that it dried me out.  I would always be really thirsty the next day.

I think your gains are also coming from your advanced knowledge of how to train.  When I accepted that I needed to do all the exercises that sucked the worst, with proper form, thats when I made some nice gains on a consistant basis.

dustin

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »
Sudafed will probably fuck you up enough to keep some size off. Shit like that makes my appetite go away completely too. I could fast all day long if I took ephedrine and shit like pseudophedrine all the time. The strange thing is that I'd feel completely content though. Fasting invokes a sense of euphoria after you shed the feeling of nausea and hunger pains. Eek. :-X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 01:52:20 PM »
Maybe it effects people differently.  I used to take a dose of sudafed each night back when I had some trouble getting to sleep.  I was heavier then.  I did notice that it dried me out.  I would always be really thirsty the next day.

it's a MAIO inhibitor I believe.  It made me skinny as shit.  This fall, I took it for a few days when sinus season started, and weight started falling, I realized the cause.  Now I don't touch it, and only touch nsaids when really nedded.  hot sauce clears up most of what ails me during sinus season.

dustin

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
it's a MAIO inhibitor I believe.  It made me skinny as shit.  This fall, I took it for a few days when sinus season started, and weight started falling, I realized the cause.  Now I don't touch it, and only touch nsaids when really nedded.  hot sauce clears up most of what ails me during sinus season.

Double that on the hot sauce. Conventional hot sauce can make me piss out of my ass if I eat too much, but when sinuses strike I hit up the oriental store. They've got shitloads of spicy ramen and other goodies. I don't know what any of that stuff is but I'll grab a bunch of shit off the shelf and get cookin'. Kimchi really helps too. I like sweating like a pig when I'm sick, get the toxins and everything out. Plus the euphoria you get from eating spicy stuff really helps whether you're sick or just congested.

I'm a pussy when it comes to spicy stuff so even mildly spicy food really hits the spot. When I'm sick I just tell my gf to cook me something spicy and I nearly soak my clothes in sweat by the time I'm done lol (I take a shower after too, btw) :P

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »
Double that on the hot sauce. Conventional hot sauce can make me piss out of my ass if I eat too much, but when sinuses strike I hit up the oriental store. They've got shitloads of spicy ramen and other goodies. I don't know what any of that stuff is but I'll grab a bunch of shit off the shelf and get cookin'. Kimchi really helps too. I like sweating like a pig when I'm sick, get the toxins and everything out. Plus the euphoria you get from eating spicy stuff really helps whether you're sick or just congested.

I'm a pussy when it comes to spicy stuff so even mildly spicy food really hits the spot. When I'm sick I just tell my gf to cook me something spicy and I nearly soak my clothes in sweat by the time I'm done lol (I take a shower after too, btw) :P

If I'm out and looking at a late evening, I'll stop at Taco bell for a clean chik soft taco... and get 5 or 10 packs of fire sauce.  I'll just drink a packet or two, blow my nose and hock a lugie (classy, I know), and I'm good for a few hours.

over the last year I've developed a tolerance.  I usually just pour some louisiana hot sauce in a shot glass and slam it, doesn't give me belly distress anymore.

dustin

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »
If I'm out and looking at a late evening, I'll stop at Taco bell for a clean chik soft taco... and get 5 or 10 packs of fire sauce.  I'll just drink a packet or two, blow my nose and hock a lugie (classy, I know), and I'm good for a few hours.

over the last year I've developed a tolerance.  I usually just pour some louisiana hot sauce in a shot glass and slam it, doesn't give me belly distress anymore.

Nice. Sometimes I get cravings for spicy food and after a few days I can tolerate it. I like slathering Louisiana hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce on a shitload of chicken or turkey and eat it while I watch some tv lol

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 07:15:35 PM »
I take it with 100mg of test suspension to counteract the catabolic effects.  8)

beef-sword

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • TEAM MICRA DRESS STEAMY TURD!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »

what's with the 240 shit then....:)
X