Author Topic: Video - Ryan Kennelly just super shirt benched 1,075 at 308 !  (Read 7964 times)

Sean Katterle

• Getbig II
Video - Ryan Kennelly just super shirt benched 1,075 at 308 !
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »
This weekend Ryan "BenchMonster" Kennelly super shirt benched 1,075 pounds in competition! Not only is this the biggest super shirt bench in history, but he made the list as a 308 pound weight class bencher! (Not as a superheavyweight.)

Here's a video of the lift on YouTube

Thanks to Ryan's sponsors:

MHP  www.GetMHP.com
House of Pain IronWear  www.HouseOfPain.com
BOSS  www.BOSSOnline.net
APT Pro Powerlifting Gear 

Here's a copy of the interview Kennelly conducted for House of Pain's BLOG just prior to his competing (to check out the House of Pain weight lifting BLOG log on to  http://www.houseofpain3.com/wlsnews/  )

Ryan "BenchMonster" Kennelly

Interviewed by Sean Katterle

Sean Katterle - You recently dieted down from 345 to 308 (at weigh-ins) to walking around at 300 pounds 24/7. What did you do in regards to your diet? Were there certain foods or types of food you eliminated from your daily intake? Did you maintain a specific macronutrient ratio?

Ryan Kennelly - The first change I made was adding cardio back into my routine. Every day I spend 30-60 minutes on the treadmill, at a fast walking pace of 3.5 miles per hour and with the track at a 6% uphill grade. As for my food, I cut out fast food, candy, ice cream, frozen ready-to-eat meals and pretty much all snack foods. I increased my consumption of skinless chicken breasts, buffalo, fish and egg whites so my daily protein content went up but my main sources of protein were low fat and low carb. For
supplements, I maintained what I was taking before but I added MHP's DREN (1 capsule per day) and BOSS's low carb The Shake RTD Cans were my drink of choice every time I was away from my kitchen blender where I mix up my usual MHP's Probolic based shakes. A lot of my daily carbs have been coming from oatmeal, brown rice, yams and whole wheat bagels. I try and take in a quality source of protein every two hours throughout the whole day (which is basically eating/drinking 7 protein rich meals per day.)

Sean Katterle - You're trying to rebreak the 308 class all-time shirted bench record again? You've got the record right now but a few weeks ago you said something in regards to "getting the 308 record past 1,000 pounds would put it out of reach for awhile." Your reasoning for that being the mark?

Ryan Kennelly - Psychologically, I think my bench shirt competition has a mental block about the 1,000 pound barrier. Once they venture into 1,000 + pound territory, they either fold or they start looking for corners to cut; soft handoffs, partial lockouts, shirt sleeves over their elbows, lightening quick press commands, ect. I don't think they truely believe that they can legitimately bench 1,000 pounds at 308 so they don't have the proper frame
of mind for taking the record if I put it up that high and it's my intent to do so. They'll be another generation of shirts that will allow them to catch up with me numbers wise but that's a ways off I'm guessing. That's partly why the current crop of top gear lifters are turning to rep contests instead of a max contest. They can stay within their numbers comfort range.

Sean Katterle - On that note, do you think the powerlifting world is too addicted to "numbers records"? In almost every other sport, people and teams compete for wins and they compete for league championships. In geared powerlifting, people seem way too focused, in my opinion, to these all-time records, to having some kind of record certificate hanging on their wall and to constantly be pushing up the numbers via any route; getting stronger yes, but also increased gear layers and technology, looser judging, longer time
frames between weigh ins and lifting, ect. Do you agree that the sport's competitors and promoters should turn their attentions to building events where it matters to win with integrity (strict judging, same day weigh-ins, ect.) rather than simply trying to push the numbers higher and higher? I don't have a problem with equipment if the judging is like what you see in the USPF , IPF , ect., but so often it's not. Your thoughts?

Ryan Kennelly - I do think powerlifters are addicted to numbers more than they're addicted to actually becoming stronger. I haven't thought of powerlifting, in it's current state, as a sport and I won't think of it that way until it focuses more on quality of lifts and not just on numbers. Right now it's just a fun hobby. I also like the IPF and the USPF and I like the federations that follow their examples in regards to officiating and to sticking to the rulebook. In those organizations, judging is very strict and that adds to their legitimacy. You never have to doubt a world record lift from one of those organizations. If I read about someone breaking an IPF or USPF record then I know that they broke it fair and square.

The responsibility of turning the sport around is up to the magazines, the websites and the promoters. As long as people get the glory by any means neccesary, then they'll continue to use any means neccesary to get the glory. When the magazines and big websites only cover the deep squats, the locked out benches and the unhitched deadlifts, then the sport will start to change because people will discipline themselves to get the reward of positive recognition.

Sean Katterle - I was talking on the phone recently with Jason Fiori of The Falls Fitness Factory in New York. Jason's a wicked strong bencher and full powerlifter. He commented that he thinks building a big deadlift builds a bigger bench. I've always thought that building a big squat builds a bigger bench but that a bencher should stick more to heavy rows (t-bar, cables, dumbbells, ect.) for their back specific work. What do you think?

Ryan Kennelly - I think everything works if you train hard and smart, but deads really depress your central nervous system. That's for sure. But, if you know how to specifically dial in your workouts to your body's limitations and growth response and if you give yourself the proper time to rest and recover, then you can work magic. Just look at guys like Brian Siders , Jim Williams and Bill Kazmaier . Those guys can/could post use totals and bench big at the same time. Me personally, I don't train the deadlift but I do squat and when I squat I go heavy, convincingly below parallel and for medium reps like a power bodybuilder would (think Tom Platz or Ronnie Coleman .) But again, I get a lot of sleep and I eat a lot of healthy food so I'm able to recover from the combination of heavy bench days and heavy squat days.

Sean Katterle - There's three raw bench records that are within your bodyweight realm; Ted Arcidi's 650 @ 275 (which has stood for 25 years!) and Mendelson's 701 @ 308 and 715 @ SHW (both of which have been set over the last 6 years.) Are you starting to seriously eye any of those three records? Which? Right now you're # 1 in the world in the shirted bench game in both the SHW and 308 pound classes. But, in the raw bench record books, you're ranked 38th with your 600 @ 295 that you benched five years ago at MMA fighter Roger Neff's push/pull promotion. No one questions that you're good for a lot more than a six hundred (though being in the 600 pound bench club is nothing to sneeze at!) You've demonstrated more than once that you can punch up a 675 pound bench after a good old school bench training cycle. What's the future hold for Ryan Kennelly in regards to classic power benching?

Ryan Kennelly - The only paused bench to break the 700 pound barrier that I've heard of was James Henderson and I say that because he got his lift in the USPF/IPF. As for Mendelson's .................they looked like touch n' gos to me. I'm OK with that but it's Henderson who should currently be getting
the credit for being the biggest raw bencher of all time. With that being said, when I get some spare time I'd like to put some training cycles in working old school power benching and I'd like to see if I can post a 675+ raw bench in competition that's recorded on quality video and with strict judging standards.

MHP , BOSS and House of Pain are also official sponsors of The Clash of the Titans II and The Kings of the Bench III . Both of these events will be taking place at the 2009 Ronnie Coleman Classic Expo , April 18th, at The Mesquite Convention Center (just east of downtown Dallas, Texas.) Between both events, there will be $10,000 in cash prize money paid out and the competition will be aired a week later in streaming video on Bodybuilding.com ! For more information, please visit http://www.HardcorePowerlifting.com

To hear Kennelly's recent internet radio interview on MD's No Bull Radio go to:

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/podcasts/palumbo063008.mp3

To hear Kennelly's recent interviews on Big Nation Radio go to:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ultimate/2008/07/22/BIG-NATION-

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Video - Ryan Kennelly just super shirt benched 1,075 at 308 !
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:20:30 PM »
Good interview.
Nice to see Kennelly having his priorities straight as far as feds goes. ;)
Cool to see him pay respect to Big J's lifts too.
As empty as paradise

Sean Katterle

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:03:55 PM »
If any of you haven't yet seen Kennelly's 90 minute benchpress documentary, you can watch the whole film online for free.

Log on to

http://www.hardcorepowerlifting.com

and then scroll down to the bottom of the homepage where you'll find the link to start the video player.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »
I just thought about lifting 1075lbs and my elbows exploded. :-[

Sean Katterle

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:16:55 AM »

LOL

I just thought about lifting 1075lbs and I had to call 1075lbs up on the phone and apologize.

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
With that being said, when I get some spare time I'd like to put some training cycles in working old school power benching and I'd like to see if I can post a 675+ raw bench in competition that's recorded on quality video and with strict judging standards.
Wow so shirts can add 400+ lbs to your bench - I really don't see the purpose in gunning just for pure numbers like this? RAW=REAL
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:54:51 AM »
shoot i would think you could do that easily with your claimed 225 pound overhead extensions that you do. :D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 03:23:13 PM »
shoot i would think you could do that easily with your claimed 225 pound overhead extensions that you do. :D

You know it! :D Got that 5x500 squat vid yet? Didnt think so. 8)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 08:09:05 PM »
Wow so shirts can add 400+ lbs to your bench - I really don't see the purpose in gunning just for pure numbers like this? RAW=REAL

sure, if you're fucking amazing with it. i could put you in the tightest shirt imaginable and you might get 50 pounds out of it if you're lucky. at my best i was getting about 150 out of my rage-x.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »
sure, if you're fucking amazing with it. i could put you in the tightest shirt imaginable and you might get 50 pounds out of it if you're lucky. at my best i was getting about 150 out of my rage-x.

Yeah, i really dont' believe the claims of 400 lbs from a shirt.  If thats the case eitehr its mental or the guy is realy undershooting what they can do RAW----which is a possibility.   

Typically the supertight shirt guys end up fucking themselves adn either dumping the weight or missing once the shirt gives out towards the very top.   

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 07:51:35 AM »

Yeah, i really dont' believe the claims of 400 lbs from a shirt.  If thats the case eitehr its mental or the guy is realy undershooting what they can do RAW----which is a possibility.   

Typically the supertight shirt guys end up fucking themselves adn either dumping the weight or missing once the shirt gives out towards the very top.   

You got to remember though too, Vet, that training for a raw bench, and training for a shirted bench, are two completely different beasts.

Jason

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
You got to remember though too, Vet, that training for a raw bench, and training for a shirted bench, are two completely different beasts.

Jason

Is it really that different?  I have to wonder about that too.   Most of my bench training is RAW.   I put a shirt on 4 times in 4 months to hit a 30 lb official (70 lb if you count the lift that was disqualified for a technicality) meet PR on the platform the last meet I was in.......   

I also bench in a single ply shirt, so maybe I'm missing something.   I have never used anytype of shirt "heavier" than a single ply RageX. 

My wife trains with me, she competes only RAW.  She didn't break a PR the last meet, but she also had riproaring diarrhea and was able to come in, lift exactly the same thing she did before without loosing any ground and without shitting herself.   She just missed a 10 lb PR even then.   

I really don't know.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »
vet, i'm obviously no expert but just from what i've seen from these guys training logs and interviews...

it seems like the tip top guys don't really train for heavy raw strength because, frankly, it's not THAT needed. i haven't seen a single video of ryan going to failure with his raw bench. rychlak never did either. there's no point. bench raw and you're having to use a lot of strength at a part of the lift that the shirt eliminates and the top half won't be heavy enough. might as well throw some bands on there and get some work done.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
vet, i'm obviously no expert but just from what i've seen from these guys training logs and interviews...

it seems like the tip top guys don't really train for heavy raw strength because, frankly, it's not THAT needed. i haven't seen a single video of ryan going to failure with his raw bench. rychlak never did either. there's no point. bench raw and you're having to use a lot of strength at a part of the lift that the shirt eliminates and the top half won't be heavy enough. might as well throw some bands on there and get some work done.

Well, I'm just sitting here wondering if Im doing something wrong---because what I'm doing obviously works for me.  I'm not a lightweight bencher---that techniciality bench was 585, I've got an official 545 paused paused in single ply gear on a platform under my belt,  and I probably had more in the tank on that 585 attempt, even though I missed it the second go around.   I'm also not some superbencher, so am I missing something?   

To me off the chest strength is a bar speed, lat strength and pectoral strength issue.   You work off the chest strength with heavy rows and dumbell presses (or cambered bar presses if you've got access to one).   Bar speed comes from band work.  Chains also help with bar speed but they work topend/ "Overall" strength too.  Topend stregth is necessary for the point where bar speed starts to slow down.  4-5 boards and lockouts work that range, but so does chains because of the overload. 

The missing link is the midrange in my head which you are going to work off 1 or 2 boards or 3 boards if you are long limbed.   Also if you are very, very explosive, you are going to fly through the midrange, where lockout is going to be your hard point.   

Honestly in my mind it doesn't make sense for RAW benchers to take full range benches all the time.  They are going to set themselves up for pec injuries.     My wife trains is a RAW bencher, but she exactly like I do with the bench....except she's an inch taller than I am and has arms that are about 2 inches longer with a chest thats over 20 inches less than mine in circumfrence.   Her range of motion is WAY longer than mine is.   Yet she's made good gains training the way I do.   She's very, very explosive off her chest and has an unreal lockout (like 315 for sets of 5 off pins at 133 lbs).   

She's a novice powerlifter, so maybe we are just getting lucky with her training.    Her full range movement is every 4th-5th week or on speed days or with dumbells.  Otherwise her bench is brokenup to bottom, middle, and lockout just like mine is.   She's not a super bencher either---has a 155 RAW touchandgo meet lift and a 135 RAW paused meet lift under her belt at 132 lbs. 

I'm just asking for opinions here because I really don't know.   Wolfie?  Peg?   Hedge?  Overload?  Anyone?  Am I missing something? 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »
Shirt and RAW are two very different things IMO.
As empty as paradise

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
it seems to me if she's locking out 315x5 but getting less than half that full-range, then yes, something isn't quite gravy with the training protocol. disgusting lockout strength is, well, not that useful for a raw bencher. there was a time when i was throwing around 405x5 for 4-board presses raw but my full-range raw bench was 335 or so (and that was with my mega-arch and <12" range of motion). now pin pressing 315x5 at 6" off the chest gives me some issues but i've got 370 raw and a way longer stroke.

Training as a shirted bencher but without the shirt didn't do crap for me. all the tricep strength in the world didn't help for the first half of the lift, so it didn't matter that 405-455 was doable in the top half of the lift, i was struggling to get 315 off my chest. using bands is good in theory, but not in lieu of full range work and lots of it.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
Well, I'm just sitting here wondering if Im doing something wrong---because what I'm doing obviously works for me.  I'm not a lightweight bencher---that techniciality bench was 585, I've got an official 545 paused paused in single ply gear on a platform under my belt,  and I probably had more in the tank on that 585 attempt, even though I missed it the second go around.   I'm also not some superbencher, so am I missing something?   

To me off the chest strength is a bar speed, lat strength and pectoral strength issue.   You work off the chest strength with heavy rows and dumbell presses (or cambered bar presses if you've got access to one).   Bar speed comes from band work.  Chains also help with bar speed but they work topend/ "Overall" strength too.  Topend stregth is necessary for the point where bar speed starts to slow down.  4-5 boards and lockouts work that range, but so does chains because of the overload. 

The missing link is the midrange in my head which you are going to work off 1 or 2 boards or 3 boards if you are long limbed.   Also if you are very, very explosive, you are going to fly through the midrange, where lockout is going to be your hard point.   

Honestly in my mind it doesn't make sense for RAW benchers to take full range benches all the time.  They are going to set themselves up for pec injuries.     My wife trains is a RAW bencher, but she exactly like I do with the bench....except she's an inch taller than I am and has arms that are about 2 inches longer with a chest thats over 20 inches less than mine in circumfrence.   Her range of motion is WAY longer than mine is.   Yet she's made good gains training the way I do.   She's very, very explosive off her chest and has an unreal lockout (like 315 for sets of 5 off pins at 133 lbs).   

She's a novice powerlifter, so maybe we are just getting lucky with her training.    Her full range movement is every 4th-5th week or on speed days or with dumbells.  Otherwise her bench is brokenup to bottom, middle, and lockout just like mine is.   She's not a super bencher either---has a 155 RAW touchandgo meet lift and a 135 RAW paused meet lift under her belt at 132 lbs. 

I'm just asking for opinions here because I really don't know.   Wolfie?  Peg?   Hedge?  Overload?  Anyone?  Am I missing something? 

It is like magoo said. Lockout strength, while important, takes a back seat when training gear deficient versus using a shirt.  You should look at some of the stuff jim Wendler has written about benching. He has some good info, and probably more experience coaching the BP than just about anyone.

Try:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/de_bench.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/raw_bench_pressing.htm

these would be a good place to start, and you will get more info from Jim than i could ever give you.  Also, dont ask Wolfe. He doensnt know dick about benching ;D ;D ;D

Jason

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 10:34:59 AM »
LOL.  I was actually reading those yesterday trying to answer my question.  I've got all the westside DVDs, the EliteFTS ebooks and exercise index DVDs, TS DVD's, Louies Book of Methods and a bunch of other shit. 

No were does one of them tackle the fundamental difference between shirted vs raw training.  Everyon says its different, but I seriously can't remember reading what that fundamental difference is they just skirt around it.  Even in Tates Bench Press Manual, he outlines the RAW traniing, and then goes on to repeat essentially the same shirt work template.  The Shirt work template is essentially the same as the Raw template.   Other than you take a few sets with the shirt on after the ME exercise.   That makes sense, you have to know how to get the shirt set properly.  But to me, it sure doesn't look that different.  Either that or I'm missing something.   

Again Am I missing something here?  I dont have a "weak" bench, I plan on breaking 600+ as SHW within the next year.  I dont' know what my RAW bench is, but its somewhere in the mid/upper 400's.   I haven't pushed it hard to see what my absolute RAW max is since I wear a shirt.    The thing is I train with my wife and I'm wondering if I'm missing something from her training as she's a RAW only lifter. 

Or am I just kicking a dead horse and just need to quit thinking about it, get under a barbell and load the plates up?  ;D