Author Topic: Dems have secret vote next week to decide the fate of Lieberman  (Read 1017 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Dems have secret vote next week to decide the fate of Lieberman
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »
I'm torn.

I can't stand the guy but I can see the strategic benefit to keeping him as chair of Homeland Security.

They keep him on the Dem side and hopefully stimulate some bi-partisanship which will be necessary to get anything done.

http://www.mlive.com/us-politics/index.ssf/2008/11/dem_senators_try_to_save_liebe.html

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Dems have secret vote next week to decide the fate of Lieberman
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:32:35 PM »
They should crush him for being a bad politician.

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »
I'm torn.

I can't stand the guy but I can see the strategic benefit to keeping him as chair of Homeland Security.

They keep him on the Dem side and hopefully stimulate some bi-partisanship which will be necessary to get anything done.

http://www.mlive.com/us-politics/index.ssf/2008/11/dem_senators_try_to_save_liebe.html

This cracks me up. The guy is doing a good job on his post but they want oust him for bieng bi partisan. The beatiful thing is if Franken pulls of that election, they will need him for the supermajority......  Great job Reid.... Piss him off. Please.....

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
This cracks me up. The guy is doing a good job on his post but they want oust him for bieng bi partisan. The beatiful thing is if Franken pulls of that election, they will need him for the supermajority......  Great job Reid.... Piss him off. Please.....

Lots of other Dems want his chairmanship.  The Dems are the big winners and there is blood in the water. 
Also, Lieberman said some pretty sleazy things about Obama during the campaign and it's human nature to want some retribution.   It seems like the movement to keep him in the caucus came (partially at least) from the Obama camp. I think it's probably strategic on their part to reconcile with Lieberman. They need his vote and they need his influence (for whatever it's worth) on the other side of the aisle.  I think they (the Dems) gain more by leaving him in place

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »

He wasn't being bi partisan per se. Campaigning for McCain is one thing - but he campaigned for Palin and many downticket GOP'ers whom he did even know. He was acting very partisan during the whole campaign.

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »
He wasn't being bi partisan per se. Campaigning for McCain is one thing - but he campaigned for Palin and many downticket GOP'ers whom he did even know. He was acting very partisan during the whole campaign.

The guy is a democrat who just strongly feels that McCain was the best person to protect our country and put aside his other political differences to campain for what he thought was right despite the possibility of retribution from his party.

If we had more men from both sides of the aisle like that we would be far better off.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

A Democrat who campaigns for members of another party is partisan?  By the very definition of the word, that's about as non-partisan as you can get.

You may take issue with Lieberman's campaigning for several Republicans but you certainly can't call that "partisan."

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 03:56:29 PM »
Many (most likely, including the man himself) believed he was frontrunner for McCains's VP slot. When you take into account that he wasn't just endorsing the candidates he considered most qualified, but actually jockeying for position in the GOP, it doesn't exactly qualify as bipartisan behavior.