Author Topic: Do the ignorant on this board truly believe that being gay is a 'choice'?  (Read 1847 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Why would any sane person, given the enormous difficulties of being gay in society, 'choose' to be gay. Anyone who thinks this should get their head reexamined. Nevermind the scientific evidence showing that sexuality is a biological imperative, not a choice...

Do people really believe this?
I hate the State.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
Re: Do the ignorant on this board truly believe that being gay is a 'choice'?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
Why would any sane person, given the enormous difficulties of being gay in society, 'choose' to be gay. Anyone who thinks this should get their head reexamined. Nevermind the scientific evidence showing that sexuality is a biological imperative, not a choice...

Do people really believe this?

You mean like what I said on here over a week ago?

Ugghh...  this whole issue obviously is so much more than a political one and I don't even want to open up that whole can of worms in this forum.

I'll just try to make a few succinct observations:

• I DON'T believe "being" gay is a lifestyle choice.
  • I DO believe living a gay lifestyle is a lifestyle choice.
  • Personally--and I know this is going to piss a lot of people off--I see homosexuality as a personality/behavioral disorder like alcoholism or drug addiction or pedophilia.  Maybe (probably) you're born with a genetic predisposition to be "that way."
  • Ultimately, as with everything, it's your choice about how to act on that tendency.  At least in the US.  Of course in countries like Iran, there aren't any gay people. ::) Of course how you choose to live your lifestyle depends on your values, beliefs and morals.

In all honesty--I thank God that I wasn't born that way.  I don't know WHO in their right mind would CHOOSE that kind of a life.  But just imagine if you were born that way--sexuality obviously runs so much deeper than a substance addiction or some other behavior, it goes down to the core of a person's being--I tell ya I feel for gay people in our society, I really do.  Especially those who want and try to live devout, faithful spiritual lives and try to reconcile who they are with what they believe and read in the Bible.  It's complicated and like I said...  I feel for them...  being gay ain't no picnic.

OK...  fire away...  tell me I'm backward/bigoted/hateful or whatever.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »
Dan O 

Homosexuality has existed in every society on the planet, from antiquity to the present and it is has been observed and documented in virtually every species of animal including monkeys, fish, and countless species of birds.  Do you believe that all these animals have a personality/behavioral disorder too?

Whether we like it or not, whether we want to believe it or not Nature has a reason for producing a gay population.  We may not know the reason, but I offered one theory here http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=20939.msg2991700;topicseen#msg2991700

Here is an article that talks about homosexuality in animals. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9506EFD9113BF934A35751C0A9629C8B63

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:30:15 PM »
Dan O 

Homosexuality has existed in every society on the planet, from antiquity to the present and it is has been observed and documented in virtually every species of animal including monkeys, fish, and countless species of birds.  Do you believe that all these animals have a personality/behavioral disorder too?

Whether we like it or not, whether we want to believe it or not Nature has a reason for producing a gay population.  We may not know the reason, but I offered one theory here http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=20939.msg2991700;topicseen#msg2991700

Here is an article that talks about homosexuality in animals. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9506EFD9113BF934A35751C0A9629C8B63

Lost cause trying to convince these people. Their religious affiliations prevent them from comprehending.
I hate the State.

y19mike77

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
Its a choice that is made. There is no proof of any kind of gay gene.

But lets pretend for a minute that you are right.

There would have to be a bisexual gene as well. And what about petafiles? Or people who like to have sex with trees(dendrophilia)?

So if your right there would have to be a gene for every single sexual preference on the planet.

I personaly think to put being gay and a petafile together is ridiculous.

It is a choice that is made and nothing more.

Jus like one person prefers apples while the other oranges.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »

There would have to be a bisexual gene as well. And what about petafiles? Or people who like to have sex with trees(dendrophilia)?

So if your right there would have to be a gene for every single sexual preference on the planet.

Well my point is just that--whether it's nature or nurture or some combination of both--big deal.  Ultimately we choose our behavior and our responses to the world around us.  That's called responsibility and accountability.  We are not slaves to our genes.  If it's found there's a gene for being a psycho killer, so what?  So that's someone's cross to bear but they can overcome it.  Maybe all sorts of behavioral tendencies are genetic, hell if I know.  Ultimately it's our choice whether to succumb to those tendencies or conform to societal norms for the greater good.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »

What's a petafile?  ::)

A file on PETA?  ???

Yes, people decide to make their lives 10x more difficult in society because they love the challenge... ::)
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »
If there is a gene for homosexuality, then the argument can be made that there is a gene that causes people to be whatever. So if people are 'born with it', i.e., it's NOT a choice per se... Then it's ok? Why is Pedophilia socially abhorrant, and homosexuality not from a simple act standpoint?

I might have a genetic predisposition to kill people. Throwing me in jail would be wrong because I didn't choose to off you....

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 02:23:52 PM »
If there is a gene for homosexuality, then the argument can be made that there is a gene that causes people to be whatever. So if people are 'born with it', i.e., it's NOT a choice per se... Then it's ok? Why is Pedophilia socially abhorrant, and homosexuality not from a simple act standpoint?

I might have a genetic predisposition to kill people. Throwing me in jail would be wrong because I didn't choose to off you....

There is a difference. The homicidal maniac is a danger to people. Gay people are just that, gay; they like people of the same sex. Nothing inherently dangerous about that. Pedophila involves non-consenting children who cannot make decisions for themselves; two 25 year women can consent to have sexual relations. It is quite different and you know it.
I hate the State.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 02:26:01 PM »
NO sexual orientation is a choice.  humans are sexually attracted to what they are sexually attracted to.  we should not judge ANY of them.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
NO sexual orientation is a choice.  humans are sexually attracted to what they are sexually attracted to.  we should not judge ANY of them.

True that.
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »
True that.

Sooooo what do you think about "Furries"?

???

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »
Sooooo what do you think about "Furries"?

???

Who are the Furries?
I hate the State.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
I always find it funny that, by the very fact of someone believing it is a choice, they believe they could very easily be tonguing some dude's scrid this very moment if not for their "choice" to find women attractive.  

That they themselves believe they could have been gay if they were told it was "acceptable" in school is really pretty interesting.
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »

There are relatively few "genes."  There is no "gene" for many genetic "aberrations."  Genes are much more complex than saying there is a "gene" for anything.
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 03:06:35 PM »
If there is a gene for homosexuality,

there is not a homosexual gene.  There are biological factors that affect sexual orientation.   Current research suggests hormonal influences in the womb are a big factor.  

but sexual orientation is not a 1/0, yes/no, gay/straight type of thing.  It is a range, let's say 0 to 6.  and your sexual orientation is somewhere in that spectrum.   If you are a 0 or 1, it would be very hard for you to fall in love with or have sex with someone of the same sex.  If you are a 5 or 6, you'd find it impossible to do those things with someone of the opposite sex.  But if you are in the middle, you could go either way.  You could be truly bisexual, dating both men and women regularly.   Or you could spend years and years thinking of yourself as either gay or straight, then suddenly deciding to live the opposite way.   While your behavior might have changed, your orientation did not.

While we're all born with a sexual orientation, those of us at one end of the spectrum or the other can choose to live by our orientation, or we can choose to be celibate and alone.   I see no reason to do the later.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 03:07:16 PM »
I always find it funny that, by the very fact of someone believing it is a choice, they believe they could very easily be tonguing some dude's scrid this very moment if not for their "choice" to find women attractive.  

That they themselves believe they could have been gay if they were told it was "acceptable" in school is really pretty interesting.

Yeah...it's really quite strange.
I hate the State.

mogulgangi

• Getbig IV
  • fitness celebrity
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 03:08:09 PM »
IT IS A CHOICE....

CHOICE 1.
A NICE FIRM ASSHOLE, SORROUNDED BY PILLOW SOFT BUTTOCKS THAT SMELL LIKE A FRESH MORNING BREEZE...THAT TASTE AS GOOD AS IHOP PANCACKES TOPPED OFF WITH CARAMEL SYRUP, AND IS SOO TENDER AND SOFT.......

CHOICE 2.
THE MAN HOLE

U PICK....

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »
there is not a homosexual gene.  There are biological factors that affect sexual orientation.   Current research suggests hormonal influences in the womb are a big factor.  

but sexual orientation is not a 1/0, yes/no, gay/straight type of thing.  It is a range, let's say 0 to 6.  and your sexual orientation is somewhere in that spectrum.   If you are a 0 or 1, it would be very hard for you to fall in love with or have sex with someone of the same sex.  If you are a 5 or 6, you'd find it impossible to do those things with someone of the opposite sex.  But if you are in the middle, you could go either way.  You could be truly bisexual, dating both men and women regularly.   Or you could spend years and years thinking of yourself as either gay or straight, then suddenly deciding to live the opposite way.   While your behavior might have changed, your orientation did not.

While we're all born with a sexual orientation, those of us at one end of the spectrum or the other can choose to live by our orientation, or we can choose to be celibate and alone.   I see no reason to do the later.

Given the insanity of women some of us are forced to do so.
I hate the State.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
Who are the Furries?

'People' who dress in animal costumes.  :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »
'People' who dress in animal costumes.  :)

Hmm...fine by me, has nothing to do with me.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 03:14:47 PM »
IT IS A CHOICE....

CHOICE 1.
A NICE FIRM ASSHOLE, SORROUNDED BY PILLOW SOFT BUTTOCKS THAT SMELL LIKE A FRESH MORNING BREEZE...THAT TASTE AS GOOD AS IHOP PANCACKES TOPPED OFF WITH CARAMEL SYRUP, AND IS SOO TENDER AND SOFT.......

CHOICE 2.
THE MAN HOLE

U PICK....

Eating asshole is gay. Disgusting. You don't like pussy?
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »
Eating asshole is gay. Disgusting. You don't like pussy?

You've tried it?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »
You've tried it?

No. I never want to. I tried anal once but found it revolting as well. I am quite content with the vagina, thank you.
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »
Was it really like what tbombz described?  :D