Author Topic: Sergio Oliva Story  (Read 3697 times)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
Sergio Oliva Story
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:31:50 AM »
Guys,
    Here in NJ, there once existed The Capitol Theater in Passaic.  This venue hosted the biggest bands in the world (The Stones, The Who, Springsteen, etc.) and had very many special events with appearances by a variety of famous performers.
    Back in 1976, The Capitol hosted a bb exhibition with pros getting onstage and posing.  It was not a competition but more of a show/exhibition.  The crowd was filled with anticipation as a "surprise" guest was rumored for weeks.  No, it wasn't Arnold but it was in fact, Dave Draper. 
   After the show was over, two of my friends waited backstage and out came Sergio who had also appeared on stage.  They walked with him down the block and he was very friendly.  During the conversation, Sergio looked up at a big billboard advertising the movie "King Kong."  This is why I believe it was 1976 as the Jeff Bridges version came out that year.  As Sergio looked over the billboard, he looked down at my friends and simply said, "King Kong?  I am King Kong!"
    I promise to very soon bring over my computer guy to show me how to post pictures and I will be sure to include a picture of my 2 friends standing next to Sergio outside the Capitol Theater circa 1976.
Harley

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Sergio Oliva Story
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 08:33:44 AM »
so a black dude called himself a monkey?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 08:47:11 AM »
Guys,
    Here in NJ, there once existed The Capitol Theater in Passaic.  This venue hosted the biggest bands in the world (The Stones, The Who, Springsteen, etc.) and had very many special events with appearances by a variety of famous performers.
    Back in 1976, The Capitol hosted a bb exhibition with pros getting onstage and posing.  It was not a competition but more of a show/exhibition.  The crowd was filled with anticipation as a "surprise" guest was rumored for weeks.  No, it wasn't Arnold but it was in fact, Dave Draper. 
   After the show was over, two of my friends waited backstage and out came Sergio who had also appeared on stage.  They walked with him down the block and he was very friendly.  During the conversation, Sergio looked up at a big billboard advertising the movie "King Kong."  This is why I believe it was 1976 as the Jeff Bridges version came out that year.  As Sergio looked over the billboard, he looked down at my friends and simply said, "King Kong?  I am King Kong!"
    I promise to very soon bring over my computer guy to show me how to post pictures and I will be sure to include a picture of my 2 friends standing next to Sergio outside the Capitol Theater circa 1976.
Harley

cant wait bro, definately post the pics...

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »
so a black dude called himself a monkey?

Hes not black, he is hispanic.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 02:15:35 PM »

haha wtf
The dude is black, deal with it

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
He's actually Cuban.  Im sure you can trace his ancestry back to Africa just like you can with lots of "Cubans".  we all have a little negro in us remember?

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 02:31:51 PM »
Pics sound cool. Can't wait to see them.
The answer is "yes".

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »
Sergio Oliva=Mighty Joe Young

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
Just cause he speaks spanish it doesn't mean shit.  Dude is darker than me.  He's black.

Arkadius

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
What is the fuking difference black or white?? He was a great athlete.
R.I.P. Michael

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 05:35:53 PM »
Aquilles speaks Spanish too, is he hispanic?? NO

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 05:56:41 PM »
haha wtf

I know just being sarcastic since everytime Im in the States people tell me Im not white Im "hispanic"  so I was wondering if the same happened with black "latinos".

Gino30

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »
assholes bringing the racism angle into a thread

post the pics dude....good story

Robert_Lopez

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 09:18:33 AM »

Sergio like myself is a black hispanic, guys please don't be so closed minded. All nationalities come in all shapes and colors. That is like saying all white people are one nationality. Black or white is just your complexion, not your heritage. Great story Harley, can't wait to see the pics.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:25:12 AM »
Just cause he speaks spanish it doesn't mean shit.  Dude is darker than me.  He's black.

wtf

Epic racial obsessions. :P

ScottWelch

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
Sergio like myself is a black hispanic, guys please don't be so closed minded. All nationalities come in all shapes and colors. That is like saying all white people are one nationality. Black or white is just your complexion, not your heritage. Great story Harley, can't wait to see the pics.

Well put Robert.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »
so they were hyping dave draper as a 'surprise special guest' when SERGIO OLIVA was there the whole time?? ::)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 12:37:07 PM »
assholes bringing the racism angle into a thread

post the pics dude....good story

Epic loser trying to play the race card.  No one was being racist.  We were speculating on his ancestry. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
No one was being racist.  We were speculating on his ancestry. 

Why didn't you say so! That's entirely believable! ::)

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »
 I bet if BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT was there he would of said that Sergio told him to pull his pants down and give 'king kong' a banana lol
L

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »
Guys,
Harley

pics?  :(

the_swami

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
harley

good to see you back on the boards!

cant wait for the pics and more stories

the big fan

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 01:06:36 PM »
I tghink that was Chris Deven  of Viking barbell who promoted that
Harley  you couln't been much older than 5 or 6 then

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 07:37:19 PM »
I tghink that was Chris Deven  of Viking barbell who promoted that
Harley  you couln't been much older than 5 or 6 then
Actually, I am now 41 years old so I was about 9 years old.  I did not attend the show but have 3 friends who did.  I am working on getting their photos to post.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »
great story!!
w