Author Topic: GOP senator: McCain betrayed Republican principles  (Read 1518 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
GOP senator: McCain betrayed Republican principles
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:21:07 AM »
November 15, 2008
GOP senator: McCain betrayed Republican principles
Posted: 10:22 AM ET

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) — South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint on Friday became one of the first high-profile Republicans to publicly criticize John McCain following his electoral defeat, blaming the Arizona senator for betraying conservative principles in his quest for the White House.

The conservative senator, speaking to a group of GOP officials gathered in Myrtle Beach at a conference on the future of the Republican Party, described how the party had strayed from its own "brand," which, according to DeMint, should represent freedom, religious-based values and limited government.

"We have to be honest, and there's a lot of blame to go around, but I have to mention George Bush, and I have to mention Ted Stevens, and I'm afraid I even have to mention John McCain," he said.

DeMint offered a long list of complaints about McCain's record in the Senate and on the campaign trail.

"McCain, who is proponent of campaign finance reform that weakened party organizations and basically put George Soros in the driver's seat," DeMint said. "His proposal for amnesty for illegals. His support of global warming, cap-and-trade programs that will put another burden on our economy. And of course, his embrace of the bailout right before the election was probably the nail in our coffin this last election. And he has been an opponent of drilling in ANWR, at a time when energy is so important. It really didn't fit the label, but he was our package."

Bush and Stevens, he said, had corrupted the party brand by expanding the size of government and engaging in wasteful government spending. Had Republicans not strayed from their core beliefs in recent years, DeMint argued, the election results might have been different.

"Americans do prefer a traditional conservative government," he said. "They just did not believe Republicans were going to give it to them."

DeMint said he would introduce a Senate resolution next week to boot Stevens out of the Republican caucus, and "force votes" on Senate seniority rules that have allowed certain members to hold onto power. However, DeMint twice confused Ted Stevens with Ted Kennedy, drawing chuckles from the audience of Republicans, who hold neither senator in particularly high regard.

"One of our principles is that power corrupts, and you need to disperse it," DeMint said. "And if our own party allows ourselves to be destroyed by this idea, and are not willing to stand up, then we have to change everyone at the top."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/15/gop-senator-mccain-betrayed-republican-principles-2/#more-30487

Dan-O

• Getbig V
Re: GOP senator: McCain betrayed Republican principles
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
"It really didn't fit the label, but he was our package."

That was well-put and exactly how I felt too.  In one of the debates, when McCain started outlining his own version of the bailout plan was when I got disgusted and turned the TV off and really almost didn't care who won this election anymore.  It just seemed like egregious vote-buying on both sides.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »
Not sure this would have resulted in a different outcome, but imagine what would have happened if McCain opposed the bailout. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »
Buggy whips.

This senator is holding on to the OLD GOP party.

Sorry, but if the repubs wish to win white house in 2012, they're going to need something besides an angry Palin screaming about palling around with terrorists, and vague catch phrases of "bringing change to washington!"   

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »
Buggy whips.

Sorry, but if the repubs wish to win white house in 2012, they're going to need something besides an angry Palin screaming about palling around with terrorists, and vague catch phrases of "bringing change to washington!"   

I think it's obvious Palin's gotten under your skin...  you've got a secret crush on her, don't you??!?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
Glad these issues are being made public.  Neither Bush nor McCain are traditional conservatives.  The leadership of the party has been sub-par for a while now.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:46:41 AM »
McCain tried to run like Bush by appealing to the social conservative segment of the party and the neo-con/criminal element.  The problem is that Bush already poisoned the well with that strategy.   He should have run as the version of himself who was against the Bush tax cuts and who famously called the leaders of the wing-nut segment of the party "agents of intolerance"

Alot of people would have voted for that version of McCain

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 07:16:25 AM »
McCain tried to run like Bush by appealing to the social conservative segment of the party and the neo-con/criminal element.  The problem is that Bush already poisoned the well with that strategy.   He should have run as the version of himself who was against the Bush tax cuts and who famously called the leaders of the wing-nut segment of the party "agents of intolerance"

Alot of people would have voted for that version of McCain

I voted strictly against Obama and for Palin.  I cant stand mclame,

From amenesty for illegals, to CFR, to his other liberal garbage, McCain was the worst.  I voted for Romney in the primary.

Enough RINO's, they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »
NO WAI!!!

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 03:47:28 AM »
Buggy whips.

I don't think 4 years will be enough time for Palin to reinvent herself.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 03:48:26 AM »
I don't think 4 years will be enough time for Palin to reinvent herself.

Palin 2032?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 05:23:26 AM »
Palin 2032?

The only reason she has to "recreate" herself is because the media did such a hatchet job on her in the first place.

Was her Couric interview bad???  Yes.

Palin on energy issues, budgets, on governing, has more knoweldge than ZERO.  ZERO is just a smooth talking liar.  His answer to the Georgia-Russia conflict shows how uninformed he is.  He justs sounds better at it since lying through his teeth is second nature to him.   

If you consider the fact that ZERO made just as many errors, if not more, it will be he himself who has to reinvent himself very soon.

Had the media done its job during the election, both the general and primary, ZERO would still be in the Senate.  However, a combination of many factors brought us this marxist, almost none of his own doing.

Buyers remorse is going to set in very soon for you Obamabots.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 12:04:35 PM »
I voted strictly against Obama and for Palin.  I cant stand mclame,

From amenesty for illegals, to CFR, to his other liberal garbage, McCain was the worst.  I voted for Romney in the primary.

Enough RINO's, they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You voted Romney and he lost the primaries.

You voted for Palin and her team didn't win.

Your vote for the Republican'ts didn't matter either because McCain lost.

You are a loser squared.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »
The only reason she has to "recreate" herself is because the media did such a hatchet job on her in the first place.

Was her Couric interview bad???  Yes.

Palin on energy issues, budgets, on governing, has more knoweldge than ZERO.  ZERO is just a smooth talking liar.  His answer to the Georgia-Russia conflict shows how uninformed he is.  He justs sounds better at it since lying through his teeth is second nature to him.  

Why do you think at the debates - when asked about specifics - she decided to instead give canned speeches?  I mean, "I'm going to speak to the American people instead... wink wink".

Palin was a cute-sy lightweight for people who think "she's a lot like me... a President for us normal folks!"  The reality is that you do need a shrewd, briliant MFer like Mccain or Obama in the white house, someone with brains and set of brass cajones. 

What I saw of Palin was a BA in journalism, a shady governor record, and someone who didn't have the balls to answer Couric's Qs without playing fvcking word games.  She used these long wordy explanations (restating the question several times followed by a campaign slogan and a smile) and never answered her Qs.  "What papers do you read".  Just list them.  Don't make it a long speech on Alaskan-mainland stereotypes.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »
Conservative Principles:

ruinous excessive tax cuts,

deregulation of business (so crime can run rampant and free...freedom's important),

Oppression of homosexuals (b/c freedom's important),

Demonizing government as incompetent (and that's why they want control of it? ? ?),

Decrying any governmental spending...unless it greases millionaires, then it's prudent,

Playing the Southern Strategy where coons and spics will over-run you...unless you vote R,

Systematically destroying marginally armed 3rd world countries so that we can all feel like heroes while business associates rake in the cash for destroying the country and then rebuilding it.

Privatization, b/c robbing the national tax coffers in exchange for subpar or nonexistent work is the fastest way to get rich and stay rich.

. . .I feel so patriotic now...I just shit red, white and blue!  God bless!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 12:31:29 PM »
You voted Romney and he lost the primaries.

You voted for Palin and her team didn't win.

Your vote for the Republican'ts didn't matter either because McCain lost.

You are a loser squared.

And you probably voted for Kerry in 2004 and Gore in 2000.  Did you just become a winner in 2008???

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
And you probably voted for Kerry in 2004 and Gore in 2000.  Did you just become a winner in 2008???

Don't waste your time with the moron. He's the biggest meat gazer wimp on these boards (next to Benny).

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 02:56:38 PM »
Conservative Principles:

deregulation of business (so crime can run rampant and free...freedom's important),

Demonizing government as incompetent (and that's why they want control of it? ? ?),

Decrying any governmental spending...unless it greases millionaires, then it's prudent,

Playing the Southern Strategy where coons and spics will over-run you...unless you vote R,

Systematically destroying marginally armed 3rd world countries so that we can all feel like heroes while business associates rake in the cash for destroying the country and then rebuilding it.

Privatization, b/c robbing the national tax coffers in exchange for subpar or nonexistent work is the fastest way to get rich and stay rich.

I like this post.
G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 03:32:17 PM »
Conservative Principles:

I take it you voted for Obama??????

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 02:26:33 AM »
Jim DeMint seems to be an ungrateful bastard.
McCain made the race close. How many would've been able to pull that off?
I think Giuliani would've had a slightly better chance.

But McCain made it fairly close.
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 05:13:16 AM »
Jim DeMint seems to be an ungrateful bastard.
McCain made the race close. How many would've been able to pull that off?
I think Giuliani would've had a slightly better chance.

But McCain made it fairly close.

McCain is the worsrt type of "republican" because he is not even one to begin with.  He has always made his name by attacking the GOP, not advancing a conservative agenda people like.

From amnesty to CFR, he has always been a joke.

I voted against Obama, not for McCain.

I like DeMint and am glad he is finally speaking out.