Author Topic: Economic Collapse - Are you prepared?  (Read 1599 times)

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
Economic Collapse - Are you prepared?
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »
Ok so friend of mine walks in and says he is dropping a bunch of coin on guns, axes, supply's ect; basically anyting that can help him be self sufficient just in case everything goes to shit...

At first I laugh and think wow that is some paranoid shit wtf.. but then I start thinkning. What if we were to see a massive economic crash like we saw in the 30s? People do crazy things when desperate.

Does it makes sense to be a little prepared/have a plan, or is this just straight up crazy paranoia?

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Re: Economic Collapse - Are you prepared?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:46:59 PM »
Of course it makes sense, especially depending on where you live.  I have about 6 months worth of food storage and am going to increase it to a year soon.  Not only for SHTF scenarios but simply due to inflation.  We will see sky rocketing inflation before we see people scavenging for food.  I've got shitloads of things like canned butter, canned cheese, rice, canned meats.  Very basic staples that will only get more expensive come superinflation.  If the SHTF you'll see martial law declared.  So it's important to own guns not necessarily to use against your neighbor but to use against the U.S. government.  Those that aren't prepared will be the ones coming after your shit.  Always better to be prepared. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:54:08 PM »
Not crazy.  Remember Katrina?  That was a different kind of disaster, but it shows just how close we are at any given moment to anarchy. 

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:57:32 PM »
Good points... Having kids changes your perspective on a lot of things and should anything like that go down you want to be prepared.

Its hard to spend the resources in good times but when things hit the fan its alway good to be prepared. I guess I never really thought about it much and feel like I realy need to.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
OUt of the stock market?  check.

Foodstuffs stocked in pantry?  Check

Several mobile generators operational?  Check

Guns locked and loaded?  Check

1000 gallons of potable water in underground reservoir?  check.

All doors and windows barricaded?  Check

Air filter system operational?  Check

Moat dug around house? check

Arsenal fortified?  Check.

Front AND backyard properly mined?  Check.

Background check on wife and kids?  check.

Tinfoil hat reinforced and secured?  check.

. . .

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready!

I'm not going to fall victim to the New Dark Age!

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:02:40 PM »
OUt of the stock market?  check.

Foodstuffs stocked in pantry?  Check

Several mobile generators operational?  Check

Guns locked and loaded?  Check

1000 gallons of potable water in underground reservoir?  check.

All doors and windows barricaded?  Check

Air filter system operational?  Check

Moat dug around house? check

Arsenal fortified?  Check.

Front AND backyard properly mined?  Check.

Background check on wife and kids?  check.

Tinfoil hat reinforced and secured?  check.

. . .

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready!

I'm not going to fall victim to the New Dark Age!

LOL was waiting for one of these responses. I am not talking about completely altering your lifestyle, rather just having a plan and some resources in case of emergency.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »
LOL was waiting for one of these responses. I am not talking about completely altering your lifestyle, rather just having a plan and some resources in case of emergency.

LOL.  Dude must live in the woods. 

BuffGeek in all seriousness you just stated THE most important thing to have in place........especially if you have a family..........A PLAN!  If something happens be it manmade or natural disaster.......chance are your kid/s would be somewhere else, and you /your wife/gf would be somewhere else as well.  Gotta figure out what the plan is.  Where to meet.  Who to call?  All that stuff.  That's probably more important than anything.. 

I posted this before but on ebay you can find some really good deals on freeze dried food.  Just add water type backpacking stuff.  It tastes damn good.  Also www.mredepot.com is a great place  They have some unique products.  Water is very important, especially in you live in a hot, dry climate like California. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »

That's the way I read your question/comments.  I live in hurricane land, so we have our small supplies set aside, but our stash should be bigger.  

We had an earthquake here over a year ago that shut down power for the entire state (all islands).  It was crazy.  We had to actually call people on the mainland with our cells to find out what was going on here.  After several hours (during most of which I was sitting in front of my TV with my snacks trying to will the power on so I could watch my Sunday morning football), one radio station in the entire state was able to broadcast.  It was sort of like I Am Legend.  We were waiting for the zombies to start roaming the street.  :)  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 01:13:51 PM »
OUt of the stock market?    DID NOT GET OUT EARLY ENOUGH AND AM HOLDING ON THE "LONG TERM"

Foodstuffs stocked in pantry?  NEED TO GET MRE'S

Several mobile generators operational?  GOT ONE ON THE WAY.  A SMALL ONE.

Guns locked and loaded?  NUMEROUS

1000 gallons of potable water in underground reservoir?  HAVE WATER BOTTLES AND GALLONS IN GARAGE.

All doors and windows barricaded?  NOT YET.

Air filter system operational?  NOT YET.

Moat dug around house? CANT DO WHERE I LIVE.

Arsenal fortified?  WITHOUT A DOUBT

Front AND backyard properly mined?  I DONT WANT THE DOG TO DIE.

Background check on wife and kids?  NOT MARRIED AND NO KIDS.

Tinfoil hat reinforced and secured?  YUP!!!!!!!!!!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 01:19:26 PM »
Cash is vital in disasters.   

I'm getting my "Armageddon bag" in order. 

Thinking of buying an "all purpose" gun

Any suggestions? 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »

Any suggestions? 

If you live in a suburban or urban area you can never go wrong with a good old pump action shot gun.  I think Walmart still sells the Defender or some shit for $100.  Either that or a good rifle with a scope.  If you are close enough to have to rely on a handgun chance are you're probably already in a gun fight and your chances of survival are slim. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 01:28:05 PM »

Any suggestions? 
\

12 Gauge Remington 870 Shotgun or a Ruger 10/22 .22 Rifle. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:30:50 PM »

Any suggestions? 

Go to www.sportsmansguide.com

They have great prices on everything.

As far as a gun goes, do some research, but you can't go wrong with either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500  12 guage pump shotgun.  The cost will be anywhere from $299.00 to $499.00 depending on the specs.  I just got a 870 for $299.00 at Gander Mountain.     

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 01:34:51 PM »
thanks for the suggestions guys   :)

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
My biggest concern in regards to a gun is the kids. I would need to get a gun safe. We go shooting with my dad often though, so I have been thinking of getting an SKS or AK-47 . Again makes me nervous with kids in the house though so a gun safe will probably be a must. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 01:42:10 PM »
My biggest concern in regards to a gun is the kids. I would need to get a gun safe. We go shooting with my dad often though, so I have been thinking of getting an SKS or AK-47 . Again makes me nervous with kids in the house though so a gun safe will probably be a must. 

A shot gun is way safer since in a misfire situation in the house the bullet will not travel through the walls.  Buckshot will put the man down but not travel into other rooms at deadly speed.

Almost all experts agree that a shotgun is the way to go. 

An AK is cheap, but depending on money, and AR15 is more accurate.  An AK is deadlier though.

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:02:42 PM »
A shot gun is way safer since in a misfire situation in the house the bullet will not travel through the walls.  Buckshot will put the man down but not travel into other rooms at deadly speed.

Almost all experts agree that a shotgun is the way to go. 

An AK is cheap, but depending on money, and AR15 is more accurate.  An AK is deadlier though.

These are good points. I dont want to kill anyone by any means. only reason I was mentioned an AK or SKS is they are cheap, look intimidating, and might be fun to go shooting with.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »
These are good points. I dont want to kill anyone by any means. only reason I was mentioned an AK or SKS is they are cheap, look intimidating, and might be fun to go shooting with.

By all means get what you want, I have inquired about an AK too, but from I have read and know, overall a Remington 870 synthetic stock set up, maybe folding stock or AR15 type extending stock is the way to go overall.

You can also get a seperate slug barrell for the 870 too. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »
\

12 Gauge Remington 870 Shotgun or a Ruger 10/22 .22 Rifle. 

Excellent choices!

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 06:26:42 AM »
OUt of the stock market?    DID NOT GET OUT EARLY ENOUGH AND AM HOLDING ON THE "LONG TERM"

Foodstuffs stocked in pantry?  NEED TO GET MRE'S

Several mobile generators operational?  GOT ONE ON THE WAY.  A SMALL ONE.

Guns locked and loaded?  NUMEROUS

1000 gallons of potable water in underground reservoir?  HAVE WATER BOTTLES AND GALLONS IN GARAGE.

All doors and windows barricaded?  NOT YET.

Air filter system operational?  NOT YET.

Moat dug around house? CANT DO WHERE I LIVE.

Arsenal fortified?  WITHOUT A DOUBT

Front AND backyard properly mined?  I DONT WANT THE DOG TO DIE.

Background check on wife and kids?  NOT MARRIED AND NO KIDS.

Tinfoil hat reinforced and secured?  YUP!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha...that picked up my day, thanks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 06:30:18 AM »
hahaha...that picked up my day, thanks.

We can disagree on issues, but I have to tell you, these boards are better than Freerepublic or DU or KOS.

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 06:46:05 AM »
I totally have stocked up. One of my storage rooms is filled with non-perishable foods and bottled water. As well in the wine room. Filled with as much wine as possible. Three tanks of gas for the bbq. As well as. I don't know how much wood it is for the fire place? I got four deliveries. Two piles the size of a compact car? Heaps of toilet paper! I live in the 52nd floor in NYC. If it hits the fan? How many looters are gonna climb 52 stories? Anyone that believes, " Oh it will never happen?", is out of their mind. Everyone should be prepared for the worst!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »
I'll let u all know when we get the order to come for u. Don't worry, I'm headhunter and I'm here to help... ;D
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 07:20:01 AM »
I totally have stocked up. One of my storage rooms is filled with non-perishable foods and bottled water. As well in the wine room. Filled with as much wine as possible. Three tanks of gas for the bbq. As well as. I don't know how much wood it is for the fire place? I got four deliveries. Two piles the size of a compact car? Heaps of toilet paper! I live in the 52nd floor in NYC. If it hits the fan? How many looters are gonna climb 52 stories? Anyone that believes, " Oh it will never happen?", is out of their mind. Everyone should be prepared for the worst!

You are on a perfect floor for sniping in the case of mass civil riots.  Thus, a good rifle with high powered scope should work.  only kidding.   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 07:25:02 AM »
I'd just set fire to the building...he's fucked. Ur best bet is a cabin in the woods that nobody knows about. Plenty of clean water, game in the woods and clear fields of fire. Wait out the worst and see what happens.
L