Author Topic: MAX OT ?  (Read 6103 times)

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
MAX OT ?
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »
First I just want to say that I have been reading this board for a long time but I barely ever post.  I have been using MAX OT for about a week and I was wondering why do I spend more time in the gym than usual?  Form what I’ve read im supposed to spend between 30-45 min. in working not including warm-ups, but I seem to be in the gym for an hour and a half!  Here is my split and workout…

MONDAY- Biceps and Triceps- heavy 4-6 reps
•   Biceps- straight bar curls+ warmup (6 total sets, 4 warmup)
    Alternate dumbbell curls (3 sets)
    Straight bar cable curls (2 sets)
•   Triceps- Straight bar cable press downs (6 total sets, 4 warmup)
    Skull crushers behind head (3 sets)
    Dumbbell extensions (2 sets)
TUESDAY- Legs, calves(6-8 reps), and abs(8-10 reps)
•   Legs-  squats(6 sets, 4 warmup)
   Scissor squats(3 sets)
   Straight leg deadlift (2 sets)
•   Calves- standing calf raises (6 sets, 2 warmup)
•   Abs- cable pulldowns (4 sets, 2 warmup)
         Incline situps (3 sets weighted)
WEDNESDAY- off

THURSDAY- Chest and forearms
•   Chest- flat bench- (6 sets, 3 warmup)
   Incline bench(2 sets)
   Flat dumbbell press (3 sets)
•   Forearms- reverse grip curls(4 sets, 2 warmup)
        Rope (3 sets heavy)
FRIDAY- shoulders, traps, and abs
•   Shoulders- military press(6 sets, 3 warmup)
         Dumbbell press(3 sets)
         Side laterals(2 sets)
•   Traps- dumbbell shrug(3 sets)
   Barbell shrug(2 sets)
•   Abs- cable pulldowns(4 sets, 2 warmup)
         Incline situp( 3 sets weighted)
SATURDAY- Back
•   Back- deadlifts(6 sets, 3 warmup)
           t-bar rows(2 sets)
           v-bar pulldowns(2 sets)
           weighted pull-ups(2 sets)
SUNDAY- off

Am I doing too many warmup sets or just taking too long of breaks?  I have read the entire MAX OT program and the MONSTER TRICEPS thread, which by the way is very impressive.  I just don’t understand and don’t want to diminish my results by doing this wrong.  Sorry for the long post but thanks for your help!

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
Re: MAX OT ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:34:38 AM »
it needs to be changed IMO, Condense it to 3days a week, I think they have sample 3 day a week training split on the max ot site,  do 3-4 sets for small muscle groups and 5-6 for large ones, remember you are going to failure on each freakin set, unless you have the genetics Skip or Jeff has, drop the volume.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:54:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply!  I thought the idea was to do 6-9 sets to failure, with about 3 sets of warmup but I will read again!  I guess if I was only doing 3-4 for small muscles and 5-6 for large then I would definitley be in the gym for a much shorter time.  Thanks again.

axekick

• Getbig I
  • math is hard
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:53:46 AM »
it needs to be changed IMO, Condense it to 3days a week, I think they have sample 3 day a week training split on the max ot site,  do 3-4 sets for small muscle groups and 5-6 for large ones, remember you are going to failure on each freakin set, unless you have the genetics Skip or Jeff has, drop the volume.

If you log on to the max-ot site,  the three day a  week routine is on week 6. I've always had the best results with max ot. I switch it up, but I always go back and it feels right. But I'm new here and I usually hang out at a steroid board but I'm not juicing so I'm hoping to get some better ideas here.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »
   AXAKICK, thanks for the reply and yes i am getting great pumps and feel great after my workouts, i just thought they were longer than recommended.  I think i will actually stay with my program for about 3-4 weeks then switch to a less volume approach. 
Ever article or MAX-OT thing i read says 6-9 working heavy sets so i think i am dooing it correctly but maybe i just workout too slow.  Also the warmup sets seem corrrect when seeing as how a few of the sets are acclimation sets and you still have 2-3 minutes of wait in between those.  I dont know i will figure it out sooner or later i guess!  Thanks again and sorry for the rambling i just wish i could know for sure you know?

axekick

• Getbig I
  • math is hard
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »
No prob. I remember the guy that recommended me to the max-ot site. I'm glad he did. Anyway, you haven't mentioned the actual max ot site. It's ast-ss.com for anyone who needs it. You have to sign up but it really lays it out. Most of the workouts are 5 days a week and those are short enough. Plus I think the warmup strategy is explained in either week 2 or 3.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:50:33 PM »
You guys prefer doing the 3 day a week routine?