Author Topic: 1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger  (Read 264653 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:50:38 PM »
Who really should have won?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: 1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »
Arnold

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:11:25 PM »
Lou was in tremendous shape. Arguably the best of his life, along with the '74 Universe. If there were more shots of Lou, we could make a more knowledgable comparison.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:56:20 PM »
Arnold was just massive that year.  Not as sharp as in 73, but thick with huge arms and chest. Lou looked very sharp there, but a bit lean next to Arnold.   

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »
Lou's condition @ the 1974 O was more than likey Lou's best Condition he had though the 1970s...if Lou had the same size (muscle wise) he brought in 1975, combined with the same condition in 1974...that sort of package as one @ the 74 show would push Arnold close to the brink...unfortunately for Lou he would of still ran into a all-time best (1973 still debatable) Arnold..and Arnold in the shape he brought in ether 1973 or 1974 would still Probally be to much for Lou, given Arnold's experience, confidence, posing, presentation etc...it would still be close.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 10:03:47 PM »
.............. :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 10:12:08 PM »
'74 was Lou's best year, and the mediocre condition he was in the following year for the '75 Olympia was inexplicable given that that was his last shot at Schwarzenegger and that is how he'll be remembered on film.

The rivaly between them was a smart Weider creation to make the show more interesting. Lou even at his best was never in the same sentence, in fact i'm quite sure that Schwarzenegger got himself in his best condition in '73-'74 for Oliva, who never showed (understandibly, given the prevailing politics).

The only way Ferrigno would've ever had a chance to approach Schwarzenegger would've been to continue sustained training for several more years-he never had Schwarzenegger's volume, muscle maturity or refinement. Possibly with some real work and guts he could've gotten somewhere close in the mid-late 70s, but he veered off in several other directions, including the Canadian Football League for a minute then the Hulk.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
Arnold was carrying a bit more size in his arms and chest, but Lou really brought some amazing wheels and more than equalled Arnold's condition.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »
Arnold was carrying a bit more size in his arms and chest, but Lou really brought some amazing wheels and more than equalled Arnold's condition.

Ferrigno did not have the same sweep in the thighs, and calves were blah. Overall lacking in polish and refinement that comes from years of dedication, plus not nearly the same degree of size relative to his frame.

For Lou to have filled in with more size and muscle maturity would've taken dedication in the years following '75 that he was never willing to put in.

It made sense for Weider to play up the rivalry to sell mags and to groom someone, preferably white, to take Arnold's place.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 11:11:33 PM »
Ferrigno did not have the same sweep in the thighs, and calves were blah. Overall lacking in polish and refinement that comes from years of dedication, plus not nearly the same degree of size relative to his frame.

For Lou to have filled in with more size and muscle maturity would've taken dedication in the years following '75 that he was never willing to put in.

It made sense for Weider to play up the rivalry to sell mags and to groom someone, preferably white, to take Arnold's place.

Agreed that his quads were more squarish than Arnold's and his calves were also smaller, yet his cuts were as deep as Arnold's and the sheer quad/quad-ham size was equal, if not better than Arnold's. Explain what you mean by polish and refinement.

I guess Lou wasn't as much of a threat as, say, Sergio in '72, but he compares very well in terms of condition and overall mass. Add another 10lbs of muscle to his upperbody and it would have been a very close call indeed.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 01:17:41 AM »
Polish and refinement are related to cuts but it's more subtle. Nuance and muscle maturity borne of years of work refining mass that has already been acquired. Schwarzenegger was essentially the same size through the first half of the 70s, in subsequent contests he mainly focused on carving that diamond. A big difference between good and great is addressing the details.

Ferrigno never got to that. He was still in the mass building stage and should've gone further there and didn't due to the divergence to football then the hulk. Which means that of course he never got to refinement either.

In part what's required is the intelligence to assess oneself objectively then to go about increasing quality and making enhancements re: balance, symmetry and aesthetics, muscle tie-ins. Ferrigno missed all of those: lack of thigh sweep, mediocre calves, lack of biceps peak, average tris, etc. Ferrigno didn't have that intinct and drive for greatness, or the persistence to stay in the game long enough o address his weaknesses while he was at his physical peak in the 70s. Essentially he quit very early, well before his potential peak.

Ferrigno was actually bigger than Schwarzenegger in absolute terms. I was backstage at the 76 Universe, and Ferrigno was a refrigerator, Arnold alot more svelte in person though of course he was also only 210 at that point, prior to gaining some weight back for movies.

What i'm referring to and you should already know by now is something that confuses a surprising number of BB followers-relative size AKA muscle volume AKA measurements relative to frame and bone width. Ferrigno didn't have anywhere near the same volume AKA meat on the frame.

You can see here that his upper body is on the slim side vis-a-vis his legs and in relation to Schwarzenegger. And it wasn't just 10 lb. Different shows but the point is made vividly.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 12:56:09 AM »
Polish and refinement are related to cuts but it's more subtle. Nuance and muscle maturity borne of years of work refining mass that has already been acquired. Schwarzenegger was essentially the same size through the first half of the 70s, in subsequent contests he mainly focused on carving that diamond. A big difference between good and great is addressing the details.

Ferrigno never got to that. He was still in the mass building stage and should've gone further there and didn't due to the divergence to football then the hulk. Which means that of course he never got to refinement either.

In part what's required is the intelligence to assess oneself objectively then to go about increasing quality and making enhancements re: balance, symmetry and aesthetics, muscle tie-ins. Ferrigno missed all of those: lack of thigh sweep, mediocre calves, lack of biceps peak, average tris, etc. Ferrigno didn't have that intinct and drive for greatness, or the persistence to stay in the game long enough o address his weaknesses while he was at his physical peak in the 70s. Essentially he quit very early, well before his potential peak.

Ferrigno was actually bigger than Schwarzenegger in absolute terms. I was backstage at the 76 Universe, and Ferrigno was a refrigerator, Arnold alot more svelte in person though of course he was also only 210 at that point, prior to gaining some weight back for movies.

What i'm referring to and you should already know by now is something that confuses a surprising number of BB followers-relative size AKA muscle volume AKA measurements relative to frame and bone width. Ferrigno didn't have anywhere near the same volume AKA meat on the frame.

You can see here that his upper body is on the slim side vis-a-vis his legs and in relation to Schwarzenegger. And it wasn't just 10 lb. Different shows but the point is made vividly.

As I've said, Lou's condition at the '74 Olympia was nothing short of outstanding. He was shredded and arguably harder than Arnold throughout the entire body. Pics in this thread prove that. Lou had a big frame, but his shape (and ability to maximise his shape through posing techniques) lost to Arnold.

I definitely agree that Lou was only realising his potential in '74 and could have taken Zane in later years, though his shape again would have been against him vs. a very aesthetic Zane. The comparison you posted isn't as good as it could be, as Arnold is allowing his chest to look thicker and the sides of his arms to be shown, this making him appear thicker than Lou, who is simply standing there, arms at sides. Arnold IS thicker than Lou, but the comparison is skewed.

Overall, good points and they need no addition. If anyone has any more shots from this contest, particularly of Lou, please post.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 06:24:29 AM »
As I've said, Lou's condition at the '74 Olympia was nothing short of outstanding. He was shredded and arguably harder than Arnold throughout the entire body. Pics in this thread prove that. Lou had a big frame, but his shape (and ability to maximise his shape through posing techniques) lost to Arnold.

I definitely agree that Lou was only realising his potential in '74 and could have taken Zane in later years, though his shape again would have been against him vs. a very aesthetic Zane. The comparison you posted isn't as good as it could be, as Arnold is allowing his chest to look thicker and the sides of his arms to be shown, this making him appear thicker than Lou, who is simply standing there, arms at sides. Arnold IS thicker than Lou, but the comparison is skewed.

Overall, good points and they need no addition. If anyone has any more shots from this contest, particularly of Lou, please post.
Never said the comparison was perfect but the difference was actually fairly pronounced, as per those shots.

CharlieB

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 07:54:02 PM »
I not being an Arnold or Lou fan. With that being said Arnold was the clear winner. Lou looked fantastic....but Arnold was just out and out great and better than Lou this day.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 05:42:36 AM »
Arnold takes it. But it shows Lou's unfulfilled potential. Had he gone for it, he would've bagged couple of O's.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 06:09:45 AM »
Arnold takes it. But it shows Lou's unfulfilled potential. Had he gone for it, he would've bagged couple of O's.

-Sure, but that was obvious then.

-Not necessarily true that he had more potential, based on both genetics and personal drive. We'll never know.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 06:32:40 AM »
As much as I HATE Lou "The Incredible Jerk" Ferrigno, he had a great physique - I'll give him that. But when pertaining to the '74 Olympia between The Hulk and The Oak, I'm giving it to The Oak, hands down!  8)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 06:35:12 AM »
I have this issue. In fact, I think I was the one who originally posted the pic.  :D

Anyway, the full article can be seen in the June '98 issue of Muscle & Fitness;)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 08:44:16 AM »
The fact that he went backwards in '75 when he should've really been better than the preceeding year tells me that he didn't have much drive and ambition. Other guys like Oliva and Schwarzenegger were able to significantly improve because they wanted it more, and they possibly had more unrealized potential to tap into.

Whether Ferrigno had any further unrealized potential, hard to say given the fact he never got any better AND didn't give it his all in '75.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 03:58:20 AM »
The fact that he went backwards in '75 when he should've really been better than the preceeding year tells me that he didn't have much drive and ambition. Other guys like Oliva and Schwarzenegger were able to significantly improve because they wanted it more, and they possibly had more unrealized potential to tap into.

Whether Ferrigno had any further unrealized potential, hard to say given the fact he never got any better AND didn't give it his all in '75.

Yes, I'm also basing it on the condition he achived in his comeback at the O and masters.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 04:21:34 AM »
I have this issue. In fact, I think I was the one who originally posted the pic.  :D

Anyway, the full article can be seen in the June '98 issue of Muscle & Fitness;)

I have the other pics you posted, too, but felt that was the most fitting.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 08:03:35 AM »
 ;)