Author Topic: 1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger  (Read 265063 times)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
Re: 1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
;)

The pic is of Arnold winning the '73 Olympia with Louie winning the '73 Universe the same night. Nothing to do with the '74 Olympia. But good try.  ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »
The pic is of Arnold winning the '73 Olympia with Louie winning the '73 Universe the same night. Nothing to do with the '74 Olympia. But good try.  ;D

Do you have anything positive to contribute, such as pics. That pic from the preceeding year nicely reinforces my point actually, as Ferrigno was more cut but not bigger in '74-in both years and in '75 as well he lacked Schwarzenegger's relatiive size/volume, as well as other things, as mentioned. Unlike you i actually followed those shows at the time they happened lol.

Waiting for your pictorial contribution. ;)

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
Do you have anything positive to contribute, such as pics. That pic from the preceeding year nicely reinforces my point actually, as Ferrigno was more cut but not bigger in '74-in both years and in '75 as well he lacked Schwarzenegger's size/volume, as mentioned. Unlike you i actually followed those shows at the time they happened lol.

Wow! You are old.  :P

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »

My boy, GoneAway, has pics I posted from the '74 Olympia via the June '98 issue of Muscle & Fitness. Maybe he'll post 'em, dawg.  ;)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
Wow! You are old.  :P

I saw that desperate personal shit coming a mile away from our troll lol. The funny thing is that i'm not actually old-unlike you i lift, have good genetics, workout hard, have good skin and tan and am attractive. I actually look like a BB and still get looks from women for it, including today on my cycle wearing a sleeveless T, so exactly how old am i haha when was the last time you wore a T and got looks "bollocks".  ;D

My boy, GoneAway, has pics I posted from the '74 Olympia via the June '98 issue of Muscle & Fitness. Maybe he'll post 'em, dawg.

Since you don't lift, you have plenty of time to get them instead of whining. And spare us more Schwarzenegger ball-worship, I prefer and present the more interesting "fair and balanced" approach. ;)

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »
Actually, that's Louie winning the 73 IFBB Mr. America title. The 73 Universe was held in Geneva Switzerland and in that show, if you can find a pic, Louie is in the best shape of his life. Yes, even better than the 74 Universe or 74 Olympia. He's big and shredded. The 74 universe, he wasn't real cut and in the 74 O, he was cut, but lost a lot of size.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
Yes, even better than the 74 Universe or 74 Olympia. He's big and shredded. The 74 universe, he wasn't real cut and in the 74 O, he was cut, but lost a lot of size.

My point exactly-he inexplicably actually regressed over time while some of his peers got better, so it's hard to guess that if he'd stayed in BB during the 70s he'd have necessarily been as good as he could've been.

He was in better shape in some shows, but in none of them did he have the same meat on the frame as Arnold. Should've been in shape in '75 for the film since that's what most remember.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »
Actually, that's Louie winning the 73 IFBB Mr. America title. The 73 Universe was held in Geneva Switzerland

Your ignorance shines through, dawg. Arnold and Louie competed on the same stage for different titles. Arnold for the '73 Olympia, and Louie for the Universe. And being that the '73 Olympia was NOT in Switzerland...  ::)

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »
My point exactly-he inexplicably actually regressed over time while some of his peers got better, so it's hard to guess that if he'd stayed in BB during the 70s he'd have necessarily been as good as he could've been.

He was in better shape in some shows, but in none of them did he have the same meat on the frame as Arnold. Should've been in shape in '75 for the film since that's what most remember.

Yeah, although in 77, he was looking pretty good and was going to do the Olympia and a couple of months out, he got the offer for the Hulk. If that hadn't happened, he might possibly have peaked around 78-79 and beaten Zane.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
i lift, have good genetics, workout hard, have good skin and tan and am attractive. I actually look like a BB and still get looks from women for it

LMAO!  :D

Typical Getbigger reply!

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »
Your ignorance shines through, dawg. Arnold and Louie competed on the same stage for different titles. Arnold for the '73 Olympia, and Louie for the Universe. And being that the '73 Olympia was NOT in Switzerland...  ::)
You're quite wrong. In fact, my father sat in the judges panel that year so I know what I'm talking about. Do a google next time and you'll see Lou won the 73 Universe in Switzerland. The 73 Olympia was held in New York which Arnold won, and Lou won the IFBB Mr. America on the same stage. Check your facts.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »
Since you don't lift, you have plenty of time to get them instead of whining. And spare us more Schwarzenegger ball-worship, I prefer and present the more interesting "fair and balanced" approach. ;)

I know I ride Arnold's nuts like white on rice.  ;D

And I lift...well, sorta.  :-[

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 04:59:36 PM »
You're quite wrong. In fact, my father sat in the judges panel that year so I know what I'm talking about. Do a google next time and you'll see Lou won the 73 Universe in Switzerland. The 73 Olympia was held in New York which Arnold won, and Lou won the IFBB Mr. America on the same stage. Check your facts.

That's great. Daddy told you a story. Whoopty-do!  ::)

Trust me when I say that the pic Pumpster posted was from Arnold winning the '73 Olympia, and Louie winning the Universe. And fuck Google, yo. Go back to a Muscle Builder/Power issue.  ;)

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

Trust me when I say that the pic Pumpster posted was from Arnold winning the '73 Olympia, and Louie winning the Universe. And fuck Google, yo. Go back to a Muscle Builder/Power issue.  ;)
You're a jackass., I had the Muscle Builder from 73 and Lou's on the cover winning the 73 Universe in Geneva Switzerland. Obviously you are just joking, you wouldn't really own yourself in reality, this badly.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »
You're a jackass., I had the Muscle Builder from 73 and Lou's on the cover winning the 73 Universe in Geneva Switzerland. Obviously you are just joking, you wouldn't really own yourself in reality, this badly.

OK. For argument sake, let's go with you saying that pic of Lou and Arnold was takin' in Switzerland. What show did Arnold win in Switzerland?  ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »

Keith do we need this troll here? I mean he's adding nothing about BB, cracks only himself up while providing misinformation on the contests LOL

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »
There's no need for arguing, guys. Simple fact checking on the net and in magazines will prove one thing over another. According to the IFBB's website, the 1973 Mr. Universe was held in Geneva, Switzerland on October 19, 1973. Lou was wearing no. 64 on his trunks.

http://www.ifbb.com/contestresults/mensworld/1973mrU.html
http://www.ifbb.com/contestresults/mensworld/1973congress.html

Unable to find specific dates or pictures from the 1973 IFBB Mr. America, but we can assume that the shot that pumpster posted is from that contest, as Lou didn't enter any other contests that year and neither did Arnold.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 06:29:11 PM »
One thing is clear...Arnold and Lou competed on the same stage; on the same night; for different titles. Neither competed TOGETHER for a title in Switzerland. Thanks for chiming in, GoneAway. ;)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »
Here are the rest of the pics surrounding the '74 Mr. Olympia, from June '98 issue of Muscle & Fitness. Credit to Pollux for posting them originally.

Can anyone name the bodybuilders on the wall in the first picture? I've got (from top left): Arnold, Bill Pearl, Larry Scott, Steve Reeves, Dale Adrian, Dave Draper, Frank Zane.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »
Keith do we need this troll here? I mean he's adding nothing about BB, cracks only himself up while providing misinformation on the contests LOL

He isn't that bad yet.  You guys lets keep this board clean.  I do my shit talking on the G&O board.  This board is mine and I want to keep it clean and how I really am.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2008, 12:03:16 AM »
A few closeups of the aforementioned magazine shots.

A rare on-stage comparison between Arnold and Lou coming soon!

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2008, 04:35:43 AM »
Thanks for posting those pics, GoneAway.  ;)

I didn't want to take the pics again and upload them.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2008, 11:55:33 PM »
Thanks for posting those pics, GoneAway.  ;)

I didn't want to take the pics again and upload them.

No problem. The more info about the '74 Mr. Olympia the better.

As promised, here is a RARE COMPARISON between The Brooklyn Bomber and The Austrian Oak from the 1974 Mr. Olympia!

In Lou's defence, he doesn't appear to be completed with the pose yet.

JimmyThomson

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
I was at the 74 Olympia in NY and it was the most amazing display since 1965 when Larry won it.  Arnold was out of this world and Lou looked like a sickly kid beside him. I saw Arnold many times but in 1973 he started experimenting with Cadever glands and for 2 years sprouted 15lbs extra muscle. You can see this in vids taken in 73 where he is truely massive. I knew Arnold in London when I trained at Wag's in the late 60's (I was an accountant at Bowater PLC at that time) but when he took these Cadiver glands he kept his size while keeping his muscularity. He stopped taking the dead body glands in Jan 75 because he heard about their carcenogenic traits by then.
Master of the Masters.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 10:19:38 PM »
I was at the 74 Olympia in NY and it was the most amazing display since 1965 when Larry won it.  Arnold was out of this world and Lou looked like a sickly kid beside him. I saw Arnold many times but in 1973 he started experimenting with Cadever glands and for 2 years sprouted 15lbs extra muscle. You can see this in vids taken in 73 where he is truely massive. I knew Arnold in London when I trained at Wag's in the late 60's (I was an accountant at Bowater PLC at that time) but when he took these Cadiver glands he kept his size while keeping his muscularity. He stopped taking the dead body glands in Jan 75 because he heard about their carcenogenic traits by then.

I wouldn't call Lou a sickly kid in '74, but maybe his size was understated when witnessing Arnold's domination in person.