Author Topic: 1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger  (Read 265054 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: 1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
I was at the 74 Olympia in NY and it was the most amazing display since 1965 when Larry won it.  Arnold was out of this world and Lou looked like a sickly kid beside him. I saw Arnold many times but in 1973 he started experimenting with Cadever glands and for 2 years sprouted 15lbs extra muscle. You can see this in vids taken in 73 where he is truely massive. I knew Arnold in London when I trained at Wag's in the late 60's (I was an accountant at Bowater PLC at that time) but when he took these Cadiver glands he kept his size while keeping his muscularity. He stopped taking the dead body glands in Jan 75 because he heard about their carcenogenic traits by then.

Excellent. Someone who was actually there, completely different from today where most are looking back decades later. Verifying my posts by the way. Thanks for the insights. He looked incredible in '73 and '74. The only guys comparable in history were Oliva in '72 (but not on the day of the show) and Coleman around '98.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 04:34:38 AM »
This is an awesome shot you posted, GoneAway. As much as I hate Lou, I've gotta give him credit where it's due. He looked a lot better at the '74 Olympia than the '75.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 07:46:15 PM »
:o

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2008, 09:07:57 PM »
:o
:o :o :oThat shot of Arnold hitting the single arm shot on stage is rare as in the picture showing his whole body legs as well, thanks for posting Awesome! :o :o :o

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2008, 12:08:31 AM »
Lou: Bring me the head of Arnold Schwarzenegger!
Arnold: Tough luck, Louie. It's a package deal. ;)

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2008, 04:54:47 AM »
Lou: Bring me the head of Arnold Schwarzenegger!
Arnold: Tough luck, Louie. It's a package deal. ;)

;)

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2008, 07:09:34 AM »
;)

I remember that issue from when I was a kid. Wow, you still have that?

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »
I remember that issue from when I was a kid. Wow, you still have that?

Yeah, along with several others. The "Head of Arnold Schwarzenegger" pic can be seen in Pumping Iron too.  ;)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 10:12:55 PM »
Arnold was the champion on this day.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »
Arnold wasn't going to let Big Louie beat him for his 5th Olympia crown!

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
Awesome shots Goneaway :o :o :o couple of rare 74 shots there!

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2008, 05:00:48 AM »
There were three other contests held this night: AABA Mr. America, IFBB Mr. World, and the IFBB Miss Americana. This thread focuses on the IFBB Mr. Olympia.

Thanks to www.musclememory.com for the following. Edited from Muscle Builder: Vol 16, Num 1, Page 28. March 1975.

The SUPER-BOWL of BODYBUILDING
ABSOLUTELY THE GREATEST PHYSIQUE CHAMPIONSHIPS ANYWHERE EVER!

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Mr. Olympia - Still the best and unbeaten since 1969!
by George Kaye

This year they came not as sharks but as imperial Caesars cheering gladiators in mortal vascular combat. They heard Ferrigno meant to go pose for pose with Schwarzenegger and each fan insisted on adding his personal thumbs up or down to the Battle of Titans. The great giants matched muscle in a modern Roman Colisseum, Madison Square Garden, and when the blood stopped running, they had recorded an epic struggle, unparalleled in bodybuilding history.
The 21,000 spectators who saw Frank Sinatra in Madison Square garden last October 12 made a big mistake. There are many good singers but there's only one Arnold Schwarzenegger. had the mob gone next door to the Felt Forum it would have been initiated into a display infinitely more breathtaking than Ol' Blue Eyes' vocal cords. Arnold, Bob Birdsong, and Bill Grant, plus an all-time record-breaking cast of superstars, put on a show which will live in the memories of 5500 lucky ticket-holders forever.

IFBB MR. OLYMPIA
ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER

Under 200-lbs
Franco Columbu
Frank Zane

Over 200-lbs
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Lou Ferrigno

The Garden (of which Felt Forum is a part) has hosted the world's greatest athletes and athletic events for some seventy years. Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, Paavo Nurmi, Muhammed Ali, Wilt Champerlain, Maurice Richard and hundreds of other greats have exhibited their awesome talents on this hallowed showplace. In 1923 Charles Atlas first came to prominence, winning Bernarr McFadden's "World's Most Perfectly Developed Man" contest, and seventeen years later John Grimek copped his initial Mr. America title at the Garden. But I daresay those displays were anaemic matched against the AABA's last Fall. The only comparable madness I can recall that turned the Garden, and in fact all of New York, upside down was the first Ali-Frazier fight and the 1972 Rolling Stones concert. Absolute apoplectic frenzy and audience hysteria on both occasions and the 1974 AABA MR. AMERICA & IFBB MR. WORLD SHOW was the third.

Starting with the last and best first, let me describe a man for whom the dictionary has run dry of superlatives. It may seem absurd to insist that Arnold Schwarzenegger is the best built man who ever lived. We were not around in 200 B.C. or 20,000 B.C. but neither were barbells, food supplements, or supersets. Arnold is truly in a class alone, and when he improves it's like Hank Aaron smashing another homer . . . breaking his own record and stepping further into virgin territory and the outer limits of success Every gain in size or cuts or symmetry escalates Arnold a step higher towards immortality.

This time they tried to stop Schwarz' from winning his fifth Mr. Olympia by introducing under 200 lbs. and over 200 lbs divisions. Lou Ferrigno hoped to be another obstacle.

Fresh from his Mr. Universe repeat victory at Verona, Italy Lou fancied himself ready to snatch Arnie's crown but the big kid went down in flames. Franco Columbu bested Frank Zane for the under 200 sub-title but Schwarzenegger could bury him in an armpit and have room for Zane too. Columbu had the fans agape and Zane, who gets maximum mileage from minimum muscle, is dynamite at only 190 pounds, but Arnold, a solid 237, is a Rolls Royce Cornich or the Tiffany Diamond - Best Of The Best. There is no greater thrill in all muscledom than watching the thunderstruck masses when Arnold flashes his double biceps pose. Stark raving lunacy and hero worship. Deep visceral screams from the seats, wave after wave of them until the knocked-out throng collapses in jubilant exhaustion.

For an instant at pre-judging I thought Ferrigno might surprise but a closer inspection showed the wunderkind's longer arms had nowhere as much meat as Arnold's more compact hams, and at the Most Muscular posedown, Arnie ground Lou's hopes into a squeegie of baby oil. For this year. . .

A quick account of some miscellaneous thrills and chills and then we'll bounce back to the blood and guts. Miss Americana 1974 is a dollie named April Davis with two nifties, Sandra Milstead and Natalie Rebozo runners-up. However, this event featured the female equivalent of Arnold Schwarzenegger in unbelievable Kelly Everts and it is beyond comprehension why she didn't win.

A country & western band, whose name was immemorable [sic], opened the show but little was heard from them thereafter. Also one Mario Manzini - escape artist - performed. He broke away from a few knotted cords, then went into the drum roll number - Houdini-ing it out of a locked straitjacket while handcuffed. I had some doubts about the authenticity of his performance until in a violent effort Manzini tumbled ten feet off the posing dais almost killing himself, and then continued struggling in maniacal frenzy to get free of his bonds. Quite an act.

IFBB President Ben Weider made his traditional opening speech after being introduced by emcee Marty Stater. What Ben lacks in fiery delivery he makes up for in the sincerity of his message. He told the standing-room-only mob how AAU creeps tried to cancel the show in Federal Court only two days before on the alleged basis of AABA misusing the term "Mr. America". The judge, of course, was appalled at the blundering AAU's case and threw it out immediately. Thus the IFBB/AABA soars ever higher as the world's premier bodybuilding organization.

Franco Columbu did a little deadlifting for the folks, working up to 645 for five reps. He weighted 181 pounds and said the heavy bar felt like "sheezecake".

AS PROMISED WE RETURN TO THE BLOOD AND GUTS

The Mr. America and Mr. World events actually began with pre-judging some seven hours before the gates officially opened. Even at 1:00 PM some 2000 fanatics had paid $4 to enter the Forum, an indication of how massive the crowd would be later. Afternoon pre-judging set the tone for all placings. I don't believe any decisions were altered at night. At Mr. Olympia pre-judging I thought Zane might edge past Columbu but he wouldn't match Most Muscular with Franco and that cost him. This was also the very first time master and protege, Schwarzenegger and Ferrigno, banged heads, or should I say bodies. Louie had Arnold breathing heavy but less than Sergio used to. Louie has been bigger, but smoother. he was huge at the LA Mr. International show but lacking cuts. Here the cuts were deep and razored-in but the size diminished and somewhere in that gap lies Arnold's clear-cut win.

An amusing footnote to all this muscular mayhem is that Arnold and the bronzed West Coast gods went to a LaLanne gym for a suntan (lamp style). Leaving Sanata Monica and going to NY for a tan is like a Jew emigrating to Germany in 1938.

Tom Minichiello, producer of the show along with Madison Square Garden corporation, must be applauded for his efforts. To some degree producing an IFBB spectacular is a thankless job. Everyone expects the show to be great, thus praises are few, but little things like failure to get complimentary tickets or the best seats in the house can trigger some unjustified tirades. Congrats Tom on a great job.

This is the ninth major AABA or IFBB contest that I've covered. I always say this or that show was the Greatest, the Biggest or the Best-ever. I hate to do it again but the 1974 Felt Forum spectacular was THE GREATEST. It had the most fans ever to see a muscle panorama anywhere anytime - the most demonstrable [sic], responsive, and vociferous fans, flashbulbs popping like a million Roman candles. On balance this spectacular featured the highest grade of bodies ever seen in America, if not the world, on any given night. It also showcased the long-awaited Schwarzenegger-Ferrigno Posedown. What more could anyone ask? A better show? I doubt it.

The 1975 version will be in Los Angeles, and knowing the tepid Southern California mentality, I don't think it will outpace this extravaganza for sheer excitement, chills up the spine, and grandeur. New York fans know muscle and nobody left disappointed, I can assure you of that.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:52 AM »
I LOVE that caption. Arnold talks shit, but can back it up.  8)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 07:52:41 AM »
I LOVE that caption. Arnold talks shit, but can back it up.  8)

Actually i think the comment about never chickening out was made due to defensiveness. Not that much earlier he refused Sergio's challenge to come out of the crowd to compete against him in the more neutral Mr. International contest.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 08:13:52 AM »
Actually i think the comment about never chickening out was made due to defensiveness. Not that much earlier he refused Sergio's challenge to come out of the crowd to compete against him in the more neutral Mr. International contest.

I remember that. Apparently, Joe Weider convinced Arnold not to bite Sergio's bait.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 04:50:08 PM »
If Lou - arguably at his best of all-time upto this point - couldn't beat Arnold, who at the time could if they competed in this contest?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
If Lou - arguably at his best of all-time upto this point - couldn't beat Arnold, who at the time could if they competed in this contest?

Obviously Segio, in fact i believe it was the expectation that he would there that motivated Schwarzenegger to be in his best shape and then to travel with Columbu and uncle joe to be in the audience of the Mr. International to see what he'd be up against. It's a shame that Weider's contest politics prevented those two from appearing on the same stage.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2008, 05:19:11 AM »
It's a shame that Weider's contest politics prevented those two from appearing on the same stage.

Agreed!  >:(

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2008, 05:44:22 AM »
Sergio knew the rules and decided not follow them - simple as that.

All of this can be discussed in the relavent thread, which will be coming soon.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2008, 07:31:05 AM »
Sergio knew the rules and decided not follow them - simple as that.

All of this can be discussed in the relavent thread, which will be coming soon.

BS. There was no incentive to enter shows after '71 and '72, knowing they weren't fairly judged. Not to say he'd have won all the time but probably some of the time in fair shows.

Is it a coincidence that Schwarzenegger refused the challenge in a more neutral setting? Arnold might've even won that, but they didn't want to get involved in a show they might've lost.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »
Arnold looks unbelievably huge in those 74 pics and his legs are great there.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2008, 07:56:56 PM »
Arnold looks unbelievably huge in those 74 pics and his legs are great there.

Although I think '73 was his best development for legs ever, they were pretty massive and diced here, too.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2008, 04:24:23 AM »
This was the closest Lou ever came to winning the Mr. Olympia. When your competition is Arnold Schwarzenegger, you have to come at your best.

Was Arnold really expecting Sergio to compete, after '73's debacle? I feel he was more concerned about the package that Lou would bring, after coming off a big Universe win.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2008, 03:23:37 AM »
"I was just always impressed
by people who could... be remembered for hundreds of years.

Even like Jesus,
being for thousands of years remembered."

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2008, 10:04:54 AM »

Was Arnold really expecting Sergio to compete, after '73's debacle? I feel he was more concerned about the package that Lou would bring, after coming off a big Universe win.

I'm only guessing but i'd say it was more likely Oliva, because Schwarz saw Ferrigno in the gym fairly regularly and most likely already knew he was lacking. Ferrigno was either cut and too light or bulkier and smooth, but in either case he lacked quite a bit and was never in the same league. That would've taken a few years more IMO, and i think Schwarzenegger knew that. The rivalry was more of a Joe Weider creation, to sell mags since Arnold at that point had no other serious Weider rival.

As far as '73, there was no debacle, just Oliva justifiably staying away from a preordained Arnold corronation after seeing what happened at the Mr. International as well as '72 and being excluded from the '71 Olympia. No one could blame him for having had enough.

For accuracy's sake, Oliva should've been shown somewhere in the movie version of Pumping Iron. I think his presence would've seriously interfered with the premise of the movie though, because then any logical person would wonder why he wasn't in the Olympia. Unlike the book, the movie was very Weider-centric and distortive of BB.