Author Topic: 1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger  (Read 265072 times)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
Re: 1974 Mr. Olympia: Lou Ferrigno vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
Not 100% percent sure, but this Arnold forearm pic would have to be around the 73,74,75 time-frame :o

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2008, 04:01:54 AM »
I'm only guessing but i'd say it was more likely Oliva, because Schwarz saw Ferrigno in the gym fairly regularly and most likely already knew he was lacking. Ferrigno was either cut and too light or bulkier and smooth, but in either case he lacked quite a bit and was never in the same league. That would've taken a few years more IMO, and i think Schwarzenegger knew that. The rivalry was more of a Joe Weider creation, to sell mags since Arnold at that point had no other serious Weider rival.

Lou was mostly training in Brooklyn in the early to mid 1970s. It wasn't until 1976 that he came over to Gold's Venice and California in general. He may have trained in Venice sparingly during '74, but I doubt it was enough for Arnold to gauge where he would be at for the Olympia.

I believe that Sergio had no intention of coming back to the IFBB in 1974, after again competing or a rival organisation, knowing the consequences. Arnold and Franco went to the '74 IFBB Mr. International to scope Lou out, as they did with Sergio the previous year. Lou was the new challenge in town and Arnold knew it.

It's possible that Joe gave Arnold the wrong advices in the sense of telling him to watch out for Sergio at the Olympia, which obviously would keep Arnold focused up until game day. Lou was the rising star at the time and  reminiscent of a younger Arnold, so the threat of both of them competing is probably why Arnold showed up in what many believe to be his all-time best shape.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2008, 04:43:25 AM »
Lou was mostly training in Brooklyn in the early to mid 1970s. It wasn't until 1976 that he came over to Gold's Venice and California in general. He may have trained in Venice sparingly during '74, but I doubt it was enough for Arnold to gauge where he would be at for the Olympia.

So i thought but no, he was there earlier, on a regular basis. So much so that by '75 for the movie PI he had to be asked by the director to go back to Brooklyn from Venice in order to create the impression that he was still in Brooklyn.

I believe that Sergio had no intention of coming back to the IFBB in 1974, after again competing or a rival organisation, knowing the consequences. Arnold and Franco went to the '74 IFBB Mr. International to scope Lou out, as they did with Sergio the previous year. Lou was the new challenge in town and Arnold knew it.

Just a guess though, whereas they were actually in the audience of the Mr. International to see Oliva. Most likely to see what he looked like prior to the Olympia. And if that interest was so for one year it was true for the next as well.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2008, 04:58:08 AM »
So i thought but no, he was there earlier, on a regular basis. So much so that by '75 for the movie PI he had to be asked by the director to go back to Brooklyn from Venice in order to create the impression that he was still in Brooklyn.

Lou says that he "couldn't train in California" for P.I., which I assume was for the movie as you said. But, I've not seen a single photo of Lou in Gold's Venice from the early to mid 1970s, nor heard any stories of Lou training there prior to 1976.

Just a guess though, whereas they were actually in the audience of the Mr. International to see Oliva. Most likely to see what he looked like prior to the Olympia. And if that interest was so for one year it was true for the next as well.

Unfortunately, I can't find any information on the 1974 WBBG Mr. International, which Sergio entered and effectively DQed himself from the Olympia, but I doubt Arnold was there in the audience, considering it was for a rival organisation. If Sergio was to compete, there would be no point of Arnold attending to check out Sergio, as it's an easy DQ. I guess we don't know without actual coverage of some sort.

He and Franco guestposed at the 1974 IFBB Mr. International, which Lou won, so it was a great time to scope out Lou if any. Lou was being talked about as the next poster-boy for the IFBB, so it's little wonder why Arnold wanted to prove himself as the top dog.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2008, 10:34:06 AM »
Lou says that he "couldn't train in California" for P.I., which I assume was for the movie as you said. But, I've not seen a single photo of Lou in Gold's Venice from the early to mid 1970s, nor heard any stories of Lou training there prior to 1976.

He's said clearly he said he wasn't thrilled with having to stop training at Gold's in '75 in order to travel back to Brooklyn and create the impression that he was still there training.

Sergio didn't DQ himself from the Olympia because of the Mr. International. Rather, he was there because he wanted an alternative to the Olympia. Quite understandable given the usual Weider hijinks. The Weider guys were at either the '73 or '74 International show in order to see his condition. Joe wouldn't let Arnold come out of the audience to compete in a show he could've lost, bottom line.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2008, 06:42:44 PM »
Sergio didn't DQ himself from the Olympia because of the Mr. International. Rather, he was there because he wanted an alternative to the Olympia. Quite understandable given the usual Weider hijinks. The Weider guys were at either the '73 or '74 International show in order to see his condition. Joe wouldn't let Arnold come out of the audience to compete in a show he could've lost, bottom line.

Though an alternative was an option - as it was upto the Weider's whether they chose to enfore any rule - it was the nail in the coffin for Sergio, I feel; regardless of if he even planned to compete at the Olympia. In Sergio's mind, he was done with the IFBB and had a better chance of winning without Arnold around.

Arnold ready for battle... IN battle... and enjoying the spoils of victory!

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »
That FDB in the middle is another rare 74 shot...his quads when fully flexed in 74 were big and shreaded great picture!

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2008, 04:59:31 AM »
Yes, Arnold was a sight to behold. Even standing relaxed he was full and ripped everywhere.

Moosejay

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2008, 05:16:37 AM »
Yes, Arnold was a sight to behold. Even standing relaxed he was full and ripped everywhere.

Damn, that is a good pic of Arnold.

In the above shot, Zane smokes Franco.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2008, 07:09:03 PM »
For anyone curious; yes, that is Bruno Sammartino in the judging panel.

Arnold hits a single biceps pose and Lou tries to counteract. Arnold fires back in rapid succession with a front double biceps pose, blowing Lou out of the water. The Oak turns around to hit a back double biceps, but before he does that, he calls to Lou and says "I won!" Lou says, "Congratulations, Arnold!"

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2009, 03:42:54 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) 1973-74 ;) ;) ;)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »
;) ;) ;) 1973-74 ;) ;) ;)

Speechless... Fantastic shot of Arnold. He looks literally rock hard and untouchable. Lou was simply a monster, but he really did lose alot of size in just one short year. Both are from the 1974 Mr. Olympia.

Thanks, Johnny.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2009, 07:18:01 AM »
lou was one of the few who competed against arnold at his all time best . arnold wins . but lou was a stronger man. 600 pounds squats and 100 pounds dumbells curls . .

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2009, 08:54:59 AM »
lou was one of the few who competed against arnold at his all time best . arnold wins . but lou was a stronger man. 600 pounds squats and 100 pounds dumbells curls . .

So what, if that was important Columbu beat both of them.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhh....any pictures to back at that comment, after all they were competitive BBers and not competitive Powerlifters, when you jump up on stage in a BB competition the judges don,t take into consideration yr strength levels, otherwise Franco would of won all the Olympias back then in the 1970s.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2009, 06:29:52 AM »
franco columbu strength was not on par with the strength of lou ferrigno . franco was beaten by lou in the strongman contest in 1977 . .

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2009, 12:36:37 AM »
ok louie didnt have shit on arny then but the louie in the 80's was awesome when he was in comp stage so much mass but still had the old school mentality for condition

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »
franco columbu strength was not on par with the strength of lou ferrigno . franco was beaten by lou in the strongman contest in 1977 . .

Columbu was much much stronger for his bodyweight and seems to have regularly lifted higher weights in the gym. I've never seen any huge numbers posted in the mags over the years about Ferrigno.

Bringing up the WSM is misleading-Ferrigno finished just ahead of Columbu in the 1977 WSM in the year Columbu had the horrible accident while carrying the refrigerator. The event is different now because of that accident. Columbu never fully recovered from that. Without the accident i bet Columbu would've been ahead of Ferrigno.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »
no way could franco beat lou lou was a bigger man .and aklso a stronger man . i suspect many people on the panel are average size people.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:09 PM »
Franco pound for pound was stronger than most guys, even Lou. However strength can be measured in many ways. Franco had short limbs thus having a much shorter range of motion. Think of how much more the bar had to travel for Lou in either the bench press or squat vs. Franco.

h

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2009, 05:57:37 AM »
maybe but lou couds bench  550 pounds he stated that in many mag when questioned . he could deadlift more than columbu too . futhermore a tall man have some advantage in a strongman contest. a good big man is better than a good small man.the grip strength of lou was great too.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
I remember watching Franco doing bent over rows.  He had no shirt on and his lats when he bent over were just unreal.  It was an awesome sight for a 21 year old to see.  I remember he would give us free massages as he was studying to be a chiropractor.  I lifted with Lou a couple times.  I did curls with him.  It was so cool back then cause you just ask if you could work in and most of the time the answer was yes.  He would help me do one or two more reps.  I was just a kid compared to almost everyone there.  It was great.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »
no way could franco beat lou lou was a bigger man .and aklso a stronger man . i suspect many people on the panel are average size people.

You're just guessing, based on the size differential.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
if lou has not competed in 1974 against the oak who would have . arnold would have been alone there or what . crazy situation . was oliva banned from ifbb .

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »
Damn, that is a good pic of Arnold.

In the above shot, Zane smokes Franco.

I agree. I thought the same thing.