Author Topic: Where Have All The Hardcore Gyms Gone?- Craig Richardson's Training Partner  (Read 1935 times)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
     I am sure this topic has been discussed at great lengths, but as Craig and I prepare to begin his off-season training regimen, I can't help but be frustrated at the paucity of truly hardcore gyms designed to fit the needs of those who come to seriously train and change their physiques.  I am exasperated with all these "grand openings" of pleasure spas that serve only to increase social interaction with those not looking to really push themselves.  If guys want to talk about how much they drank last night, then they should get the hell out of the way and leave the squat rack to someone who actually gives a damn about increasing the girth of his quads and not seeking to use the bar as a rail to lean on as he waxes hyperbole about some chick with a landing pad tattoo that he allegedly hooked up with.
    Sorry for the rant but back in the day, I would carefully walk into Diamond Gym and see Johnnie Morant standing on a bench doing bent over rows with 405 pounds!  Next to him was Beau Mattlock who was doing side laterals with 85 pound dumbells and clean reps!  There was a guy named Nick Lavatella (my spelling is off) who had classic 80's mass and conditioning and would workout until he practically collapsed.  You would be embarrassed if you didn't train to failure and wasn't close to puking.  At Diamond, there were always at least a dozen guys getting ready for all the top local,  national and pro shows.  It seemed that every other weekend, a pro bb guest poser would come in on Saturday to ensure he didn't miss a workout. 
     Today, these "gyms" are more concerned with the carpeting and the stupid club music that no one really listens to as opposed to purchasing practical equipment and creating an atmosphere conducive to really making improvements on one's phsyique.  This is not an indictment against those guys who show up, socialize and get a few reps in and then leave.  Each person has his own road to follow.  I just wish they wouldn't equate what they do to what serious people do who seek to make real improvements.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Harley, post a few pics of your training adventures!

turnerg31

• Getbig III
  • Take that Bitches!
     I am sure this topic has been discussed at great lengths, but as Craig and I prepare to begin his off-season training regimen, I can't help but be frustrated at the paucity of truly hardcore gyms designed to fit the needs of those who come to seriously train and change their physiques.  I am exasperated with all these "grand openings" of pleasure spas that serve only to increase social interaction with those not looking to really push themselves.  If guys want to talk about how much they drank last night, then they should get the hell out of the way and leave the squat rack to someone who actually gives a damn about increasing the girth of his quads and not seeking to use the bar as a rail to lean on as he waxes hyperbole about some chick with a landing pad tattoo that he allegedly hooked up with.
    Sorry for the rant but back in the day, I would carefully walk into Diamond Gym and see Johnnie Morant standing on a bench doing bent over rows with 405 pounds!  Next to him was Beau Mattlock who was doing side laterals with 85 pound dumbells and clean reps!  There was a guy named Nick Lavatella (my spelling is off) who had classic 80's mass and conditioning and would workout until he practically collapsed.  You would be embarrassed if you didn't train to failure and wasn't close to puking.  At Diamond, there were always at least a dozen guys getting ready for all the top local,  national and pro shows.  It seemed that every other weekend, a pro bb guest poser would come in on Saturday to ensure he didn't miss a workout. 
     Today, these "gyms" are more concerned with the carpeting and the stupid club music that no one really listens to as opposed to purchasing practical equipment and creating an atmosphere conducive to really making improvements on one's phsyique.  This is not an indictment against those guys who show up, socialize and get a few reps in and then leave.  Each person has his own road to follow.  I just wish they wouldn't equate what they do to what serious people do who seek to make real improvements.

I've never experienced this type of atmosphere before but I can see it very clearly through your description.  Maybe all these places have gone to the big gym heaven in the Sky.  Me personally, I'll be the first one to train there when my time comes.  Thanks for the memories.

Pat

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
An article I wrote a few years back:

Hardcore Gyms........A Thing Of The Past
by Tim Wescott

I'm about to say quite a bit about the sad state of affairs in most gyms today, and I know I will offend some people, but... too bad!

It makes me sad to see the gyms of today, and their participants, wandering around aimlessly from fancy machine, to fancy machine, in quest of something most of them don't know how to find.

I'm talking about learning how to achieve results, with their meager half-hearted efforts. Most of the people in gyms today don't have a clue why they are there, or what they are trying to accomplish.

Sure, Mary might want to lose some weight, but she usually doesn't have a clue as to how to go about it. I know this may sound harsh to some, but back in the day, newbies in the gym learned a lot from bodybuilders and more experienced lifters.

Bodybuilders and powerlifters are actually frowned upon these days in most gyms. It's a shame because these people should be used as inspiration, and watching them train could benefit a lot of people.

As far as giving them a clue as to what intensity level is required to actually get results from their training... Gyms back in the seventies and eighties, were really gyms, and not fluffy, frilly, "Fitness Centers," trying to pass themselves off as gyms. People worked together in pursuit of their goals, and learned from each other.

Today's Gyms:

Today's gyms, and I use the term loosely, are too caught up in making money, and could care less about their clients progress, or lack of progress, as is usually the case.

There's too many people that don't have clear-cut goals, and know nothing about training, even though there are "personal trainers" at most gyms.

Personal Trainers:

The sad part is a lot of the personal trainers I've seen know very little themselves, and most look like they can't get out of their own way. If you are going to train people, at least look like you train a little yourself. I call these half-@ssed personal trainers, "professional rep counters," as that's about all they are doing that is correct, in their approach to training clients.

Fad Fitness Items:

Another thing I find ridiculous today is fad fitness items.

Swiss Balls, rubber tubing, medicine balls, and TV sets, are a bunch of junk, that should be kept out of a serious gym. Do you really believe that doing crunches on a big blue ball, is any better than doing them on a floor, or a bench?

Stabilizers come into play more with the Swiss Balls some would say.

Stabilizers also come into play when squatting like an animal for 20 reps, with a heavy weight, but that's too much like work. I guess I'm just "old fashioned," but give me a gym full of sweaty, hard working animals, who are hungry to grow, and make progress, any day.

Squatting Will Work Your Stabilizers Just As Well As Any Ball Crunch.

Quiet Please:

Today if you lift anything remotely heavy, or make the slightest grunt while squeezing out a hard rep, you get asked to tone down the noise. Don't even think of chalking your hands, you might get some on the spotless floor. What do these people think a vacuum cleaner was invented for?

Hardcore Gyms:

I've trained at 4 hardcore gyms, at different times, for years, places where you made progress, and other people in the gym were genuinely concerned about you making that progress. It was no-holds barred, all for the betterment of the guys working out. If you didn't train your @ss off, you were considered a wimp.

Sadly, it is getting increasingly harder to find a good ol' sweatshop type of gym, where results are demanded. Today I see people come to the gym religiously, every day, only to talk, roam around, use the same weight forever, usually one plate on some contraption, for months at a time, gab on their cell phones, or some other practice that has nothing to do with staying focused on their training. These same people wonder why they do not make progress.

Ask a typical trainee in today's gym why he or she does a particular exercise, and what part of the body that exercise is for, and they look at you like you asked them for their wallet.

I think if you're going to workout, then you should at least have a basic understanding of the exercises, and body parts they work. Maybe even sweating a little once in a while would be productive. I really miss the "old school" gyms, and the animals that inhabited them. You can take this rant with "tongue in cheek," but I won't.

Train Hard!

Conclusion:

I obviously (I hope), meant this article to be taken with a healthy dose of sarcasm, but I hope I opened people's eyes to the fact that they should ask questions at the gym (not while someone is training), and do a little research, before beginning their program. Learn about what you are doing, and you'll do it better.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
Harley, post a few pics of your training adventures!

I promise to have my computer guy come over next week and show me how to post pics.  I am even willing to withstand the fury of posting pictures of Craig before he begins his off season training program and continue to post as things go along all the way to a show.  I seldom see pros showing pictures of themselves throughout the long off season.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
I promise to have my computer guy come over next week and show me how to post pics.  I am even willing to withstand the fury of posting pictures of Craig before he begins his off season training program and continue to post as things go along all the way to a show.  I seldom see pros showing pictures of themselves throughout the long off season.
COOL STORY AS ALWAYS.IT'S LAVITOLA BY THE WAY LOL.....

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Is it fewer "hardcore gyms" or is it fewer "hardcore lifters"?  Sounds like from your "story" there are fewer competitive people in the gyms and the gyms are just marketing to those who pay the bills.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
Is it fewer "hardcore gyms" or is it fewer "hardcore lifters"?  Sounds like from your "story" there are fewer competitive people in the gyms and the gyms are just marketing to those who pay the bills.

I suppose the market place dictates to a great degree, the industry itself.  There certainly are many more "lifters" than there are "hardcore lifters."  Having said that, I do believe that bodbuilding is such a huge business that if one were to build a truly hardcore gym, within a relatively short amount of time, that gym would be able to financially sustain itself.  Gyms can do quite well by providing quality protein drinks with the correct supplements that serious lifters require.  Atmosphere is absolutlely critical.  But far above all else, there must be a constant appearance from pro bbs, national level bbs and other serious lifters not only just to sign graphs but to actually lift in the gym itself.  Hearing that top guys frequent a particular gym creates a buzz and keeps members motivated.  I do think it can be done with not too much investment capital provided that the target audience is well understood and profit can be deferred for at least the time it takes to get serious lifters in the door on a semi-regular basis.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
An article I wrote a few years back:

Hardcore Gyms........A Thing Of The Past
by Tim Wescott

I'm about to say quite a bit about the sad state of affairs in most gyms today, and I know I will offend some people, but... too bad!

It makes me sad to see the gyms of today, and their participants, wandering around aimlessly from fancy machine, to fancy machine, in quest of something most of them don't know how to find.

I'm talking about learning how to achieve results, with their meager half-hearted efforts. Most of the people in gyms today don't have a clue why they are there, or what they are trying to accomplish.

Sure, Mary might want to lose some weight, but she usually doesn't have a clue as to how to go about it. I know this may sound harsh to some, but back in the day, newbies in the gym learned a lot from bodybuilders and more experienced lifters.

Bodybuilders and powerlifters are actually frowned upon these days in most gyms. It's a shame because these people should be used as inspiration, and watching them train could benefit a lot of people.

As far as giving them a clue as to what intensity level is required to actually get results from their training... Gyms back in the seventies and eighties, were really gyms, and not fluffy, frilly, "Fitness Centers," trying to pass themselves off as gyms. People worked together in pursuit of their goals, and learned from each other.

Today's Gyms:

Today's gyms, and I use the term loosely, are too caught up in making money, and could care less about their clients progress, or lack of progress, as is usually the case.

There's too many people that don't have clear-cut goals, and know nothing about training, even though there are "personal trainers" at most gyms.

Personal Trainers:

The sad part is a lot of the personal trainers I've seen know very little themselves, and most look like they can't get out of their own way. If you are going to train people, at least look like you train a little yourself. I call these half-@ssed personal trainers, "professional rep counters," as that's about all they are doing that is correct, in their approach to training clients.

Fad Fitness Items:

Another thing I find ridiculous today is fad fitness items.

Swiss Balls, rubber tubing, medicine balls, and TV sets, are a bunch of junk, that should be kept out of a serious gym. Do you really believe that doing crunches on a big blue ball, is any better than doing them on a floor, or a bench?

Stabilizers come into play more with the Swiss Balls some would say.

Stabilizers also come into play when squatting like an animal for 20 reps, with a heavy weight, but that's too much like work. I guess I'm just "old fashioned," but give me a gym full of sweaty, hard working animals, who are hungry to grow, and make progress, any day.

Squatting Will Work Your Stabilizers Just As Well As Any Ball Crunch.

Quiet Please:

Today if you lift anything remotely heavy, or make the slightest grunt while squeezing out a hard rep, you get asked to tone down the noise. Don't even think of chalking your hands, you might get some on the spotless floor. What do these people think a vacuum cleaner was invented for?

Hardcore Gyms:

I've trained at 4 hardcore gyms, at different times, for years, places where you made progress, and other people in the gym were genuinely concerned about you making that progress. It was no-holds barred, all for the betterment of the guys working out. If you didn't train your @ss off, you were considered a wimp.

Sadly, it is getting increasingly harder to find a good ol' sweatshop type of gym, where results are demanded. Today I see people come to the gym religiously, every day, only to talk, roam around, use the same weight forever, usually one plate on some contraption, for months at a time, gab on their cell phones, or some other practice that has nothing to do with staying focused on their training. These same people wonder why they do not make progress.

Ask a typical trainee in today's gym why he or she does a particular exercise, and what part of the body that exercise is for, and they look at you like you asked them for their wallet.

I think if you're going to workout, then you should at least have a basic understanding of the exercises, and body parts they work. Maybe even sweating a little once in a while would be productive. I really miss the "old school" gyms, and the animals that inhabited them. You can take this rant with "tongue in cheek," but I won't.

Train Hard!

Conclusion:

I obviously (I hope), meant this article to be taken with a healthy dose of sarcasm, but I hope I opened people's eyes to the fact that they should ask questions at the gym (not while someone is training), and do a little research, before beginning their program. Learn about what you are doing, and you'll do it better.

By far the most accurate post I have read since being here. Spot on.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I suppose the market place dictates to a great degree, the industry itself.  There certainly are many more "lifters" than there are "hardcore lifters."  Having said that, I do believe that bodbuilding is such a huge business that if one were to build a truly hardcore gym, within a relatively short amount of time, that gym would be able to financially sustain itself.  Gyms can do quite well by providing quality protein drinks with the correct supplements that serious lifters require.  Atmosphere is absolutlely critical.  But far above all else, there must be a constant appearance from pro bbs, national level bbs and other serious lifters not only just to sign graphs but to actually lift in the gym itself.  Hearing that top guys frequent a particular gym creates a buzz and keeps members motivated.  I do think it can be done with not too much investment capital provided that the target audience is well understood and profit can be deferred for at least the time it takes to get serious lifters in the door on a semi-regular basis.

Being in the club business I can tell you that is a losing proposition.  I know of many people who have tried and failed.  These were all well capitalized, well run clubs that simply could not make it catering to that population.  There are not enough "hardcore lifters" out there that can pay the bills.  You think there are enough because you know and associate with them.  Fact is, there aren't

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Where Have All The Hardcore Gyms Gone?- Craig Richardson's Training Partner
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »
They're still out there, under the radar and not always easily found. They're a niche, given the small populations interested in them. Best thing is to try to compile a list for those interested:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=155589.0

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Where Have All The Hardcore Gyms Gone?- Craig Richardson's Training Partner
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 09:35:11 AM »
Zuver's had to be the greatest Hard-Core gym of all time.

Thanks to Dave Draper's website for the photo.