Author Topic: Obama to launch gigantic fix for the recession - A 21st century New Deal?  (Read 1208 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Obama is set to launch a gigantic plan to create millions of jobs over the next couple of years.

What's your opinion?
As empty as paradise

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Re: Obama to launch gigantic fix for the recession - A 21st century New Deal?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 06:17:11 AM »
I call it "BULLSHIT"!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:37:23 AM »
It will apparently include, among other things, modernization of bridges, highways and other infrastructure that's been neglected.

Also development of alternative energy sources.

However, talk is cheap. I'd like to see the plan put into effect before I'll praise it.
But it's definitely the right ideas.
This program should've been put into effect this past spring or even earlier to curb the problems.
As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:03:17 AM »
Obama is set to launch a gigantic plan to create millions of jobs over the next couple of years.

What's your opinion?

The US is broke...how is he going to create new jobs? Consume, consume, consume...
I hate the State.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »
It will be interesting to see whether Obama will get any bipartisan support for this plan.

It's a gutsy move if he actually follows through on it.
He's putting his political career on the line.
If he delivers the 2 million jobs and manages to turn the economy around, he'll be an American hero.
If he fails to deliver, nothing can save him.
As empty as paradise

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
I'm no economist (and I mean that, so forgive my ignorance) but I see the economy almost as a force of nature--there are countless millions of dynamics at play, it goes through cycles; bubbles form from time to time and then later inevitably burst; if not acted upon by outside forces it always corrects itself and reaches a state of equilibrium.  Sooo my point is, I don't know if anything Obama's planning (or any one person, for that matter) will "fix" the recession per se.  And to compare his plan to the New Deal might be a little premature/overly ambitious.

I have to say Hedge, I always think it's funny how you're far better-informed than 99.97% of Americans on what's going on in this country.  Perhaps we should make you an honorary citizen. :)  You could probably pass the citizenship test with flying colors whereas a lot of natural-born Americans could not.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 07:18:09 AM »
The US is broke...how is he going to create new jobs? Consume, consume, consume...
The easiest way to create increased consumption is to introduce tax cuts, like Bush did.
If there are jobs created through investments in infrastructure, it creates both increased cash flow as well as tax revenues and improvements in the infrastructure which can help corporations.
As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »
The easiest way to create increased consumption is to introduce tax cuts, like Bush did.
If there are jobs created through investments in infrastructure, it creates both increased cash flow as well as tax revenues and improvements in the infrastructure which can help corporations.

Invest with what money? Printing press or borrowed credit?
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 07:27:17 AM »
It will be interesting to see whether Obama will get any bipartisan support for this plan.

If he delivers the 2 million jobs and manages to turn the economy around, he'll be an American hero.

Obama is a puppet. I am not a conspiracist but the fact is that the world is ruled de facto by the banks, military industrial complex and the oil companies. One man cannot 'turn the economy around'.
I hate the State.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 07:28:42 AM »
Dan-O, I stand corrected.
I agree it's way off to call it a New Deal.

It will fcuk up Obama good if he blows it though. That I'm certain of.

As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 07:30:21 AM »
Dan-O, I stand corrected.
I agree it's way off to call it a New Deal.

It will fcuk up Obama good if he blows it though. That I'm certain of.

How long do you think the US can continue on the path it has been? Forever borrowing...
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 07:19:09 PM »

What political career? If he screws up and is voted out of the oval office, ...do you think he'll go back to the Senate?

After the Presidency, ...the political career is over. There's speeches on the lecture circuit, and writing books.
Two things he's enormously gifted at, ...so even if he screws up, ...he won't be hurting for future job prospects.
Obama's oratory skills are so strong, ...he could hold a recital of "Mother Goose"... and still draw a crowd.  :D
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 10:14:14 PM »
What political career? If he screws up and is voted out of the oval office, ...do you think he'll go back to the Senate?

After the Presidency, ...the political career is over. There's speeches on the lecture circuit, and writing books.
Two things he's enormously gifted at, ...so even if he screws up, ...he won't be hurting for future job prospects.
Obama's oratory skills are so strong, ...he could hold a recital of "Mother Goose"... and still draw a crowd.  :D
What political career?
Could you be any dumber?
I thought the idea was to get re-elected.
If he fcuks up fixing of the economy, he won't get elected for another term.
You and MattT are the kind of Obama supporters that gets behind him, not because he's got the best policies.
But because he's about 'change'.
 You're gonna back Obama no matter how  he does in the White House.
The fact that you're bringing up his rhetorical skills as a strong point, and not any of his political philosophies, says it all.
You're just the typical 'politics are like college football, let's go Obama!' person.

As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 05:07:48 AM »
The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways...
I hate the State.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 09:32:06 PM »

This is the most pathetic post I have ever seen from you, and that say allot.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »

This is the most pathetic post I have ever seen from you, and that say allot.

Then you missed the post she made about women being the stronger sex and being in control 'because women can get men to do whatever they want to do by batting their eye-lashes'.

I'd love her try that strategy while walking around topless in Saudi Arabia.   
Maybe she could tell mutilated women in eastern Africa about how to 'bat their eye-lashes'.
As empty as paradise

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 10:59:18 PM »
Then you missed the post she made about women being the stronger sex and being in control 'because women can get men to do whatever they want to do by batting their eye-lashes'.

I'd love her try that strategy while walking around topless in Saudi Arabia.  
Maybe she could tell mutilated women in eastern Africa about how to 'bat their eye-lashes'.

...or how about the one where she called Cap an idiot and questioned his voting qualifications because he said Obama was in the Senate, when (as she pointed out) everybody knows he was in the Congress.

Luv ya Jag, mwah :-*

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:52 AM »
HAHAHA she's one dumb bitch!

But she got amazing fuel caps  ::)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 09:42:02 AM »
Obama's plan is going to bankrupt an already bankrupted America.  LOL.  Kiss the value of the dollar goodbye.  There will be a major war or terrorist attack in the next 4 years.  Just watch.  And there is NO way the troops are coming home.  Can you imagine the economic decline for the military industry complex which is keeping some semblance of sanity in our economy if the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is over?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »
The dollar is actually fairly strong right now and gas prices are low.  Two things that could help us get out of this recession.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 12:25:25 PM »
Obama and his admin can make some changes which will effect the economy but there are so many factors at play, in addition to the peaks and troughs of the cycle.  The best thing he can do is to spur confidence, unity and NOT increase taxes or our mounting government debt.

We need to cut back foreign aid and cut back on military expendatures.  That way some of the $ can be used at home.  No one should get their taxes raised in this environment.  We must also protect small businesses, which employ most Americans.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
Obama and his admin can make some changes which will effect the economy but there are so many factors at play, in addition to the peaks and troughs of the cycle.  The best thing he can do is to spur confidence, unity and NOT increase taxes or our mounting government debt.

We need to cut back foreign aid and cut back on military expendatures.  That way some of the $ can be used at home.  No one should get their taxes raised in this environment.  We must also protect small businesses, which employ most Americans.

nicely put.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
The dollar is actually fairly strong right now and gas prices are low.  Two things that could help us get out of this recession.

It's a crutch.  The bottom of this recession hasn't come get.  The slight rebound has been nice, but won't last.  Once we're done with thie latest flurry of bailouts, both on the corporate and individual bases, there will be several trillion in new $ printed.

You can't print a trillion dollars without devaluing the dollar.  You sure can't print 3 or 5 trillion and not expect to devalue it a lot.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »
I know 240, thats why I am against the majority of the bailouts.  I think something had to be done with the financial industry but giving blank checks to banks, auto industry or any companies without strict criteria on what the $ is to be used for is completely inappropriate.