Author Topic: Quadriplegic awarded $11.3 million in weightlifting accident  (Read 3450 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Quadriplegic awarded $11.3 million in weightlifting accident
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:12:57 AM »
Harold Leon Bostick wins damages against Atlantic Mutual Insurance after being injured at Gold's Gym in Venice in 2001.
By Joanna Lin

It's been a tough eight years for Harold Leon Bostick. The aspiring lawyer and lifelong athlete became a quadriplegic when weightlifting equipment at his gym crashed down onto his neck. Seven years of litigation ended this week with Bostick $18.6 million richer, but no less relieved.

No amount of the money, the 39-year-old Pennsylvania native says, would give him the life he had before the evening of Jan. 4, 2001.

"It's kind of like a mini-death," Bostick said Wednesday outside U.S. District Court, where a jury awarded him more than $11 million in the second lawsuit stemming from his injury. "The walking me died in 2001. Now there's the rolling me."

He says he fears the jury's verdict will be appealed and that his legal problems will never be resolved.

Bostick, a former Marine who holds degrees in chemical engineering, business and law, suffered temporary amnesia after the accident. Much of what happened the day of his accident remains hazy, but what he does remember began like many of his regular workouts at Gold's Gym in Venice.

He warmed up on an elliptical machine, stretched and headed toward a Flex Equipment Co. Smith machine to do squats. He started with about 90 pounds of weight, and increased it after each set. A few sets and a couple hundred pounds into his workout, the horizontal bar of weights fell.Because no adjustable safety stops were installed on the machine, Bostick crumpled to the floor.

Bostick sued Flex and Gold's Gym. He offered to settle with Flex and its insurer, Atlantic Mutual, for its policy limit of $1 million.

Estimating that a loss at trial could easily exceed $1 million, an attorney for Atlantic Mutual said "it may be dangerous to reject the plaintiff's current offer" and recommended settlement, according to court documents. Atlantic Mutual never responded to Bostick's offer, and the case went to trial.

A Superior Court jury found Flex liable and awarded Bostick more than $14.6 million. Frustrated that its insurer did not settle and unable to pay the jury award, Flex gave Bostick the right to sue Atlantic Mutual for bad faith for refusing to settle earlier in the case. Gold's Gym settled with Bostick for $7.3 million.

After seven years of litigation, a U.S. District Court jury this week ruled against the insurance company and awarded Bostick an additional $11.3 million.

Even if the courts uphold the jury verdict, Bostick said, his life would remain "pretty much the same as it is now" -- he will be in a wheelchair the rest of his life.

But Bostick said he sees one benefit: "I'd have more money to help other people who are handicapped."

In July, Bostick and some friends founded the Disabled Sports and Fitness Foundation, a nonprofit group intended to help people afford and gain access to sports equipment for physical therapy.

In some ways, his goals today are not so different than they were when he enrolled as a law student at Pepperdine University a few months before his injury. Bostick said he wanted to be an in-court litigator -- "like on TV."

"My goal was to help people that couldn't afford legal help," he said. "I wasn't going out there for the big money class -- more for the little man."

He said he still aspires to assist those who can't afford the services they need, hoping to one day open a physical therapy gym for disabled people of all financial means.

In the first year of his injury, Bostick's medical bills neared $700,000, said his attorney, William D. Chapman. Bostick now performs physical therapy on his own in a makeshift garage gym inside the Northridge home he shares with his parents.

Bostick, who can move his arms but cannot grip with his hands, plays basketball and competes in hand cycle races. He still has the muscular, V-shaped torso of the amateur weightlifter he once was.

Without sports, Bostick said, his mind wanders. He asks "Why me?" and struggles with depression.

Focusing on what he can do in the present and future, not dwelling on the past -- "it's always hard to do," Bostick said. "But I'm getting better at that."

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Quadriplegic awarded $11.3 million in weightlifting accident
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:25:34 AM »
He put on too much weight and the gym is responsible?

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:26:16 AM »
they call him crazy legs on the screets

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:29:40 AM »
He put on too much weight and the gym is responsible?

Ridiculous.

At least he got punished for squatting in the smith.  :D

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »
I've seen a smith type machine with no hooks showing on the outside but up in the mech/itself just let loose with nothing on the bar and no one near it...

The bar must have hit this poor bastard perfectly in the neck region because its not like he got trapped under it...Unless he didn't use 45 pound weight plates and loaded the bar with 10's or something(hard to believe)

I say sue the fuck out of these types of gyms...Gyms across american have turned there back to serious "lifters" so fuck them...

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 07:37:43 AM »
Ridiculous.

At least he got punished for squatting in the smith.  :D

He was probably doing 1/4 squats and got cocky, LOL!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »
Harold Leon Bostick wins damages against Atlantic Mutual Insurance after being injured at Gold's Gym in Venice in 2001.
By Joanna Lin

It's been a tough eight years for Harold Leon Bostick. The aspiring lawyer and lifelong athlete became a quadriplegic when weightlifting equipment at his gym crashed down onto his neck. Seven years of litigation ended this week with Bostick $18.6 million richer, but no less relieved.

No amount of the money, the 39-year-old Pennsylvania native says, would give him the life he had before the evening of Jan. 4, 2001.

"It's kind of like a mini-death," Bostick said Wednesday outside U.S. District Court, where a jury awarded him more than $11 million in the second lawsuit stemming from his injury. "The walking me died in 2001. Now there's the rolling me."

He says he fears the jury's verdict will be appealed and that his legal problems will never be resolved.

Bostick, a former Marine who holds degrees in chemical engineering, business and law, suffered temporary amnesia after the accident. Much of what happened the day of his accident remains hazy, but what he does remember began like many of his regular workouts at Gold's Gym in Venice.

He warmed up on an elliptical machine, stretched and headed toward a Flex Equipment Co. Smith machine to do squats. He started with about 90 pounds of weight, and increased it after each set. A few sets and a couple hundred pounds into his workout, the horizontal bar of weights fell.Because no adjustable safety stops were installed on the machine, Bostick crumpled to the floor.

Bostick sued Flex and Gold's Gym. He offered to settle with Flex and its insurer, Atlantic Mutual, for its policy limit of $1 million.

Estimating that a loss at trial could easily exceed $1 million, an attorney for Atlantic Mutual said "it may be dangerous to reject the plaintiff's current offer" and recommended settlement, according to court documents. Atlantic Mutual never responded to Bostick's offer, and the case went to trial.

A Superior Court jury found Flex liable and awarded Bostick more than $14.6 million. Frustrated that its insurer did not settle and unable to pay the jury award, Flex gave Bostick the right to sue Atlantic Mutual for bad faith for refusing to settle earlier in the case. Gold's Gym settled with Bostick for $7.3 million.

After seven years of litigation, a U.S. District Court jury this week ruled against the insurance company and awarded Bostick an additional $11.3 million.

Even if the courts uphold the jury verdict, Bostick said, his life would remain "pretty much the same as it is now" -- he will be in a wheelchair the rest of his life.

But Bostick said he sees one benefit: "I'd have more money to help other people who are handicapped."

In July, Bostick and some friends founded the Disabled Sports and Fitness Foundation, a nonprofit group intended to help people afford and gain access to sports equipment for physical therapy.

In some ways, his goals today are not so different than they were when he enrolled as a law student at Pepperdine University a few months before his injury. Bostick said he wanted to be an in-court litigator -- "like on TV."

"My goal was to help people that couldn't afford legal help," he said. "I wasn't going out there for the big money class -- more for the little man."

He said he still aspires to assist those who can't afford the services they need, hoping to one day open a physical therapy gym for disabled people of all financial means.

In the first year of his injury, Bostick's medical bills neared $700,000, said his attorney, William D. Chapman. Bostick now performs physical therapy on his own in a makeshift garage gym inside the Northridge home he shares with his parents.

Bostick, who can move his arms but cannot grip with his hands, plays basketball and competes in hand cycle races. He still has the muscular, V-shaped torso of the amateur weightlifter he once was.

Without sports, Bostick said, his mind wanders. He asks "Why me?" and struggles with depression.

Focusing on what he can do in the present and future, not dwelling on the past -- "it's always hard to do," Bostick said. "But I'm getting better at that."

Lo...
I hate the State.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 07:41:07 AM »
I've seen a smith type machine with no hooks showing on the outside but up in the mech/itself just let loose with nothing on the bar and no one near it...

The bar must have hit this poor bastard perfectly in the neck region because its not like he got trapped under it...Unless he didn't use 45 pound weight plates and loaded the bar with 10's or something(hard to believe)

I say sue the fuck out of these types of gyms...Gyms across american have turned there back to serious "lifters" so fuck them...

I was incline benching on the smith the other day and I got a phone call, so of course I stopped mid-set to answer it. Anyway, I only got one hook in or something and the thing came crashing down. I have cat like reflexes so it was no big deal, I just hopped out of the way. If I had know there was 11 million dollars at stake for taking a direct hit I may have handled it differently.
E

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 07:43:01 AM »
who the fuck racks the bar up higher than your head doing squats anyway? .. that's the only way i can picture this retard doing it

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 07:44:16 AM »
monster calves

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 08:04:50 AM »
If he was squatting in the smith machine he deserves to have wheelchair quads.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:33:54 AM »
Right after that Flex made available those safety catches for their Smith Machines mandatory.  We always had them in my gym.  I remember when that happened.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 08:39:41 AM »
He was probably doing 1/4 squats and got cocky, LOL!

Probably...that's why he was using the smith instead of going free weights.  I don't see how that's the gym's problem.  :-\
just not good enough

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »
Probably...that's why he was using the smith instead of going free weights.  I don't see how that's the gym's problem.  :-\

They say it is the gym's responsibility to have safe equipment.  Those safety catches were available but they didn't have them.  If a bench broke while you are sitting on it then it would be the gyms fault  If it was found that the weld was bad then the equipment manufacturer would be responsible too.  It is the gym's responsibility to have safe equipment and check it often and it is the manufacturers responsibility to provide safe equipment.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »
Can someone please exlain what happened?
I don't get it.
had he not hooked the bar onto the latch properly?
 ???

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »
I don't get it.
 ???

Exactly.  If the retard had used the Smith properly he wouldn't have been injured.  I suppose he thought there were safety catches, but if he didn't check those before the set....why does he even have a case?  :-[

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »
I don't get it.
 ???

No one knows EXACTLY what happened... All we do know is that the weights fell on the Smith machine while this man was using it. Does that mean he did not rack it properly after doing his last set?, did the pin fall out as he was about to do his next set and the weight bar fell on his neck? Was this one of those cable assist smith machines which doesn't require you to rack the weight (it holds the weight automatically after you release your grip on the bar). In either case it seems he was under the bar at the time it "FELL" and must have literally pinned him to the floor. With a "couple hundred pounds on the bar, it would only take a few inches of fall to break ones neck and if he fell to the floor with the weight...it is amazing he is ALIVE AT ALL.

The regular squat rack at my gym always has to have the racking pins tightened. There have been many time I was able to remove the pins from the rack with just a twist, because they literally unscrewed over time...this could be an UGLY situation to have the pin fall off the rack as you are about to unrack or rerack the bar. Every time I use the squat rack I first reach behind the pins and see if the bolts have undone themselves and if so call the manager to tighten before i use it. I feel sorry for this guy...what a HORROR to realize your whole life will now be spent in a wheelchair.... :'( :'( :'(
C

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »
The smith machine is a terrible invention and it should be banned from all gyms.

I believe the is a youtube video of a dude with a similar smith squat accident.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
They say it is the gym's responsibility to have safe equipment.  Those safety catches were available but they didn't have them.  If a bench broke while you are sitting on it then it would be the gyms fault  If it was found that the weld was bad then the equipment manufacturer would be responsible too.  It is the gym's responsibility to have safe equipment and check it often and it is the manufacturers responsibility to provide safe equipment.

No one knows EXACTLY what happened... All we do know is that the weights fell on the Smith machine while this man was using it. Does that mean he did not rack it properly after doing his last set?, did the pin fall out as he was about to do his next set and the weight bar fell on his neck? Was this one of those cable assist smith machines which doesn't require you to rack the weight (it holds the weight automatically after you release your grip on the bar). In either case it seems he was under the bar at the time it "FELL" and must have literally pinned him to the floor. With a "couple hundred pounds on the bar, it would only take a few inches of fall to break ones neck and if he fell to the floor with the weight...it is amazing he is ALIVE AT ALL.

The regular squat rack at my gym always has to have the racking pins tightened. There have been many time I was able to remove the pins from the rack with just a twist, because they literally unscrewed over time...this could be an UGLY situation to have the pin fall off the rack as you are about to unrack or rerack the bar. Every time I use the squat rack I first reach behind the pins and see if the bolts have undone themselves and if so call the manager to tighten before i use it. I feel sorry for this guy...what a HORROR to realize your whole life will now be spent in a wheelchair.... :'( :'( :'(

yes and yes...

imagine a couple hundred lbs come crashing down on you because of equipment failure :'(
no millions can make up for the loss of your legs.
tank u jesus

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:36 PM »

I've been thinking the same thing.  No amount of money can ever compensate for that.  Imagine never walking or running again.  Climbing stairs?  Nope.  Surfing?  No.  Playing footsie with your SO?  No.  Your social life would change dramatically too!  There are many (perhaps a vast majority) of people who would now never consider you a possible object of their affection.  I have dated someone who was deaf but I don't think I would date someone in a wheel chair.  I am not proud to admit that but it is true.  If my SO loss the use of his legs I would deal with it, but go into a relationship like that from the start?  No.

People--particularly physically active people like this guy--who suddenly lose their "able body" and still have such a positive attitude possess a courage I do not see in myself.  Perhaps it is something you can only develop after having gone through a loss like that.

He can move his arms, but cannot form a grip.  Imagine never being able to jerk off again? :o :-[ :'(  Fuck!  I'd kill myself!

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »
negroes always looking for handouts.
Deep Tissue Massage