Author Topic: MY PICS FROM NATIONALS - AND FINAL THOUGHTS  (Read 28697 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: MY PICS FROM NATIONALS - AND FINAL THOUGHTS
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 01:57:50 PM »
:)

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »
Just read through this and checked out your pics. Girl you had great conditioning, nice! I read through the options you put out, and I might suggest one more. . .  You were shredded at the prejudging, but looked a bit thin or drawn. When u carbed / junked  out for the night show you filled out, even though you lost sharpness. Your look at the night show shows you can look fuller and rounder without going up a class. You might win if you can combine the fullness and roundness of the night show with the great sharpness of the prejudging. Just my 2 cents.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »
Just read through this and checked out your pics. Girl you had great conditioning, nice! I read through the options you put out, and I might suggest one more. . .  You were shredded at the prejudging, but looked a bit thin or drawn. When u carbed / junked  out for the night show you filled out, even though you lost sharpness. Your look at the night show shows you can look fuller and rounder without going up a class. You might win if you can combine the fullness and roundness of the night show with the great sharpness of the prejudging. Just my 2 cents.

Im guessing and this is just a guess but after prejudging "carb up" she might have had to move up a class if they would have weighed her.  :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2008, 04:15:47 AM »

Im guessing and this is just a guess but after prejudging "carb up" she might have had to move up a class if they would have weighed her.  :D

LOL!  You're right about that Luv, I am guessing I was probably 120 or so for the Finals.  By Sunday afternoon, I may have been pushing the limit of the MW class.  ;D  I look about 3 times bigger than I did at prej!  (i.e., the Gene X pics)

I am definitely considering a massive shitload for the next show.  It's a potential option for sure, esp since I want to stay in the LW class.  I took in ALOT of liquids between prej and finals... and I am guessing that I would have looked a little harder and still as big and full if I had just eaten the shit and not had all the fluids. 

Shitloading...SO risky though, don't you guys think?

I definitely see how I look a bit "drawn" at prej (flat? I don't really think so stringy maybe?)...but I tend to cross the line between sharp and spilled over pretty quickly. 
I did a keto diet for the last 4 weeks of my prep (which I LOVED, and how I got there is a whole story in and of itself), and then fat/carb loaded for the last three days.  I didn't do any depletion days at all because I was already where I needed to be. 
I actually ate quite a bit of white rice in the last two days, and then a hamburger and fries with ketchup about 3 hours before prej.  And from the pics, it looks like I could have/maybe should have taken in quite a bit more food/carbs in the final days. 

I suppose I could also consider loading for more than 3 days.  I managed to keep myself pretty dry for the entire last week so I may be able to handle a longer, slower load.  But then I might have problems making the LW class.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2008, 10:46:53 AM »

LOL!  You're right about that Luv, I am guessing I was probably 120 or so for the Finals.  By Sunday afternoon, I may have been pushing the limit of the MW class.  ;D  I look about 3 times bigger than I did at prej!  (i.e., the Gene X pics)

I am definitely considering a massive shitload for the next show.  It's a potential option for sure, esp since I want to stay in the LW class.  I took in ALOT of liquids between prej and finals... and I am guessing that I would have looked a little harder and still as big and full if I had just eaten the shit and not had all the fluids. 

I definitely see how I look a bit "drawn" at prej (flat? I don't really think so stringy maybe?)...but I tend to cross the line between sharp and spilled over pretty quickly. 
I did a keto diet for the last 4 weeks of my prep (which I LOVED, and how I got there is a whole story in and of itself), and then fat/carb loaded for the last three days.  I didn't do any depletion days at all because I was already where I needed to be. 
I actually ate quite a bit of white rice in the last two days, and then a hamburger and fries with ketchup about 3 hours before prej.  And from the pics, it looks like I could have/maybe should have taken in quite a bit more food/carbs in the final days. 

I suppose I could also consider loading for more than 3 days.  I managed to keep myself pretty dry for the entire last week so I may be able to handle a longer, slower load.  But then I might have problems making the LW class.

For you loading like that may be risky. Keep in mind there are a lot of other factors that could have attributed to this. First off you were on a ketogenic diet. Carb ups from what i know are suppose to be very mild on keto. I don't know if you had your fluids or salt restricted either. The key is to keep everything consistent so adding in new factors won't cause huge drastic changes. Keep salt and water high and you won't have to worry about them too much when you carb up. You seem pretty carb sensitive like a few people i know. I can keep eating like that and it takes me a couple of days till i fill out to where i look watery. You probably know more about this then i do though national champ  ;)

racerx009

• Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »
Have you considered moving up to middle weight?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
For you loading like that may be risky. Keep in mind there are a lot of other factors that could have attributed to this. First off you were on a ketogenic diet. Carb ups from what i know are suppose to be very mild on keto. I don't know if you had your fluids or salt restricted either. The key is to keep everything consistent so adding in new factors won't cause huge drastic changes. Keep salt and water high and you won't have to worry about them too much when you carb up. You seem pretty carb sensitive like a few people i know. I can keep eating like that and it takes me a couple of days till i fill out to where i look watery. You probably know more about this then i do though national champ  ;)

Definitely risky!  I am carb sensitive for sure... I changed SO much SO quickly from adding/dropping carbs.  We did a slow load with 20 g carbs from white rice just for the last 2 days.  I kept salt in and water very high through Thurs night with prej at 4:30 PM Friday.  Dropped liquids for Friday, except I had 9 oz. diet coke with my burger and fries before prej, which also has sodium in it. 

After prej, I knew where I was in the lineup, so the diet was officially OVER.  I had probably 2-3 liters of water Friday night, a champaigne cocktail with my nachos and bacon cheeseburger and fries for dinner, and then a large coffee with my Krispy Kremes Sat morning, and then a large diet coke with my pizza for lunch Sat, and then a large glass of water while I was getting ready for finals, snacking on chocolates, cookies, and other baked goodies.  I also had ice cream and potato chips and cookies late night Friday night... I don't think that this would represent an "ideal" shit load, even if I was thinking of shitloading.  The spill over was inevitable.   ;D

I would have to do it alot smarter than that - no chocolate, no dairy, and no liquid for sure.  IF I decide to take this kind of approach, I would do a smaller "warmup" show and test it out a few weeks prior to the big show, whenever that may be.

Have you considered moving up to middle weight?

MW is definitely an option... and it's probably where I will end up over the long-term.  It was suggested to me by one of the judges at Nationals.  My issue is that I prefer CONDITIONING to mass for the most part, and I would have to pack on about 10 pounds of additional muscle in order to be a competitive MW with similar conditioning to what I brought to this show...I'm not very interested in putting that kind of size on, at least not very quickly.  And I'm not terribly interested in showing up as a softer MW, just to have some additional size.

I am pretty happy with what I brought to the stage as a LW, recognizing that there are always improvements that can be made.  But I think that I still can squeeze a couple more pounds out of the LW class before I think about jumping up to the MWs.  We'll have to see what the off-season brings this year before making any decisions, though.  :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »

Yeah Rip i think junk loading is too risky.  Rip you are knocking at the door of the top people and a look at the pros.  The Nationals compers are the top of the food chain.  I think as a 123 LB or so middle weight you could have a shot, considering your height and structure.

Take this offseason to pack extra size on your delts and lats.  Think X frame.

Rip hanging with Annie at the nats....cool.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
Yeah Rip i think junk loading is too risky.  Rip you are knocking at the door of the top people and a look at the pros.  The Nationals compers are the top of the food chain.  I think as a 123 LB or so middle weight you could have a shot, considering your height and structure.

Take this offseason to pack extra size on your delts and lats.  Think X frame.

Rip hanging with Annie at the nats....cool.

Yep... I need more taper up top for sure!   Back width... which will help since i don't have much of a waistline!  ::)

If you go back through my contest prep pics, though...the ones I took 5.5 weeks out from Nats were right about 122-123 pounds (see below).  I ALMOST have adequate contest conditioning there (for my personal standards), but I don't think nearly enough size to be competitive as a MW.  I would get stomped by some of those girls in the MW class...still would need alot more size.  I'd like to have that kind of size going into the LW class, and just do what I need to do to make weight!

We'll see.  I'm stubborn.  I like being a LW.  ;D
But I know that I will grow out of the LW class over time (and not that much, just a couple of years maybe), as I gain quality size from powerlifting, and as I age and my muscles get denser. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2008, 08:09:29 PM »

Yep... I need more taper up top for sure!   Back width... which will help since i don't have much of a waistline!  ::)

If you go back through my contest prep pics, though...the ones I took 5.5 weeks out from Nats were right about 122-123 pounds (see below).  I ALMOST have adequate contest conditioning there (for my personal standards), but I don't think nearly enough size to be competitive as a MW.  I would get stomped by some of those girls in the MW class...still would need alot more size.  I'd like to have that kind of size going into the LW class, and just do what I need to do to make weight!

But I know that I will grow out of the LW class over time (and not that much, just a couple of years maybe), as I gain quality size from powerlifting, and as I age and my muscles get denser. 

Rip whatever you do I know it will be good  :-*

Mufasa

• Getbig II
  • Never Give Up Hope!
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2008, 10:02:32 PM »
Wow, Rip!

By now, you should know that I'm biased...you always look great!

I'm not a judge nor do I have a good eye for what the judges are looking for...

But I have to agree with a few posters...the night judging and 5.5 weeks out pics where you are "fuller"? are a great look for you compared to pre-judging (again...that's from the eye of just a fan).

Have you talked to any of the judges?

What are they saying?

Mufasa
“There comes a

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »

Yes and with another years training, you will be even more conditioned at that weight of 123 cause of your increased muscle mass especially in the target areas we spoke about.  You will appear bigger than your actual weight and if you can bring a complete package and nail the conditioning you can have a good shot at the class.

I remember getting into training in the mid-late 80's.....yeah I know LOL but I remember reading one BB say to more than anything go for big shoulders, get as much size on your medial delts as you can.

Alright Rip here it is, it seemed to me last offseason for you was a bit sporadic in your training, especially BB training.  You got psyched for a couple PL events and that is cool, especially since you do so well at it.  But I think you need to train your ass off year round for the Nat's if you wanna do them next year.  This will give you that maturity and density you are after.  The other girls will be BB training all year for that show.  I would Rocky style train with that show in mind for next year, cause that was the hardest battle you went to so far. You got pushed around a bit at the big show, now is the time to put your head down and get some redemption.

Rip I know you wanna win the biggest battle  ;)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »
Yes and with another years training, you will be even more conditioned at that weight of 123 cause of your increased muscle mass especially in the target areas we spoke about.  You will appear bigger than your actual weight and if you can bring a complete package and nail the conditioning you can have a good shot at the class.

I remember getting into training in the mid-late 80's.....yeah I know LOL but I remember reading one BB say to more than anything go for big shoulders, get as much size on your medial delts as you can.

Alright Rip here it is, it seemed to me last offseason for you was a bit sporadic in your training, especially BB training.  You got psyched for a couple PL events and that is cool, especially since you do so well at it.  But I think you need to train your ass off year round for the Nat's if you wanna do them next year.  This will give you that maturity and density you are after.  The other girls will be BB training all year for that show.  I would Rocky style train with that show in mind for next year, cause that was the hardest battle you went to so far. You got pushed around a bit at the big show, now is the time to put your head down and get some redemption.

Rip I know you wanna win the biggest battle  ;)

Hahahaha ;D I almost thought you were being serious, good stuff. "Rocky style train" ;D
E

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2008, 09:08:52 AM »
Hahahaha ;D I almost thought you were being serious, good stuff. "Rocky style train" ;D

LOL comon man I was  ;D  You gotta have the eye of the tiger.  I was thinking Rocky 4 style to be more specific.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2008, 06:56:32 PM »
That does it... I am spending my off-season in Siberia!!!!   ;D

AVBG

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »
Hey Lori..those recent pics are amazine (Hwang?)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2008, 07:11:36 PM »
Hey Lori..those recent pics are amazine (Hwang?)

Thanks Alex... :)
Yes, Gene X Hwang.  I posted a few more of them in his thread on this board (see the stickied thread). 
I'm thrilled with them... Gene is amazing, he never fails to make magic.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2008, 04:20:22 AM »

LOL Rip that was it! Now get with it.  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »
Wow, Rip!

By now, you should know that I'm biased...you always look great!

I'm not a judge nor do I have a good eye for what the judges are looking for...

But I have to agree with a few posters...the night judging and 5.5 weeks out pics where you are "fuller"? are a great look for you compared to pre-judging (again...that's from the eye of just a fan).

Have you talked to any of the judges?

What are they saying?

Mufasa

Hey Mufasa
I did hear back from two of the judges from whom I asked for feedback. 

One judge said that I am a bit tall for the LW class and got "outmassed" and should consider moving up to the MW class and bringing the same kind of conditioning/package to the MW class.

The other judge said that my high lats and "wide waist" caused me to look very narrow from the front and suggested that I work on my V taper, but that my conditioning was excellent. 

Nothing terribly surprising there...I appreciate the feedback....Still hoping to get in touch with a couple more judges, but it's hard after the show, esp during the holidays.

mcwsage

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2008, 02:48:27 PM »
hey girl - from those pix you provided (pre-judging vs. night show) it is really amazing to see how much fuller you looked after your junk-fest (and it's good for people out there that aren't familiar with bodybuilding to see just how temporary the depleted look really is).  Your conditioning is off the hook, girl.  It's total package though - what you bring to the table for conditioning is only part of it.... Before you change your focus to MW you might want to try and come into a show looking fuller and see how you line up then?  Maybe do a "practice show?"   Speaking of total package - I really think loved your hair down.  Definitely consider wearing it down for prejudging because I think it will make you stand out even more.  ;)

xoxo
Michele W.P.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »
hey girl - from those pix you provided (pre-judging vs. night show) it is really amazing to see how much fuller you looked after your junk-fest (and it's good for people out there that aren't familiar with bodybuilding to see just how temporary the depleted look really is).  Your conditioning is off the hook, girl.  It's total package though - what you bring to the table for conditioning is only part of it.... Before you change your focus to MW you might want to try and come into a show looking fuller and see how you line up then?  Maybe do a "practice show?"   Speaking of total package - I really think loved your hair down.  Definitely consider wearing it down for prejudging because I think it will make you stand out even more.  ;)

xoxo
Michele W.P.

Yep, totally... you're right on the money, Michele.   8)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2008, 03:07:41 PM »

;D  Come on down towards the Gulf.... my wife needs a training partner for Nationals this spring--someone who'll push her squat up.    ;)  She can teach you how to deadlift fast and I can see to it you get to meet some tigers up close and personal in real life.  ;D

You did great RIP.  GOOD JOB!!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »

;D  Come on down towards the Gulf.... my wife needs a training partner for Nationals this spring--someone who'll push her squat up.    ;)  She can teach you how to deadlift fast and I can see to it you get to meet some tigers up close and personal in real life.  ;D

You did great RIP.  GOOD JOB!!

haha I want to meet the elephants.   ;D

I'm totally taking you up on all of that next time I am in your neck of the woods... thanks vet! 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2008, 10:41:35 PM »

haha I want to meet the elephants.   ;D

I'm totally taking you up on all of that next time I am in your neck of the woods... thanks vet! 

No problem, just let me know.   

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
i have some pics from nationals that I finally downloaded...

miss you!
Jennifer