Author Topic: Wal-Mart Employee Dies After Shopper Stampede  (Read 4222 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Wal-Mart Employee Dies After Shopper Stampede
« on: November 28, 2008, 11:55:47 PM »
Wal-Mart Employee Dies After Shopper Stampede
Friday November 28, 2008
Colleen Long, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK - A Wal-Mart worker died Friday after a throng of "out-of-control" shoppers broke down the doors at a suburban Long Island store in a scramble for post-Thanksgiving bargains, police said.

At least four other people, including a woman eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries.

The store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.

Nassau police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the store doors at the mall, about 30 kilometres east of Manhattan.

The impatient crowd knocked the man, identified by police as Jdimytai Damour of Queens, to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

"This crowd was out of control," said Nassau police spokesman Lt. Michael Fleming. He described the scene as "utter chaos."

Dozens of store employees trying to fight their way out to help Damour were also getting trampled by the crowd, Fleming said.

Items on sale at the store included a Samsung 50-inch Plasma HDTV for US$798, a Bissel Compact Upright Vacuum for $28, a Samsung 10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69 and DVDs such as "The Incredible Hulk" for $9.

Damour, 34, was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead about 6 a.m., police said. The exact cause of death has not been determined.

Witnesses said that even as the worker lay on the ground, shoppers streamed into the store, stepping over him.

Kimberly Cribbs, who witnessed the stampede, said shoppers were acting like "savages."

"When they (officials) were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling 'I've been on line since yesterday morning,"' she said. "They kept shopping."

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital, where she and the baby were reported to be OK, said police Sgt. Anthony Repalone. At least three other people were taken to hospitals with minor injuries.

Police said criminal charges were possible in the case, but Fleming said it would be difficult to identify individual shoppers. Authorities were reviewing surveillance video.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," said Dan Fogleman, a company spokesman. "At this point, facts are still being assembled and we are working closely with the Nassau County Police as they investigate what occurred."

Shoppers across the United States lined up early outside stores on the day after U.S. Thanksgiving in the annual bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday.

It got that name because it has historically been the day when stores broke into profitability for the full year.

===============================

:o  Seriously, ...this ridiculousness just has to stop!   >:(
What is it about Black Friday Sales and American consumers?  :'(

Methinks there is a wrongful death suit against Wal-Mart in the works as I type
w

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
Re: Wal-Mart Employee Dies After Shopper Stampede
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:04:46 AM »
Thats just fucked up. Just goes to show how deep seeded human greed is.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:05:56 AM »
What a joke. People's priorities are waaaay screwed up. Fuck another human beings life or safety, I gotta get me some of that plastic bullshit that'll sit in the garage, closet or a landfill in a couple of years.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 12:09:16 AM »
Remember the Cabbage Patch shopping riots of the 80's?

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 12:50:17 AM »
They need to run that tape back and start charging people with murder.   

Fuck I hate people.  Selfish pricks.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:19:31 PM »
(CBS/AP) Police were reviewing video from surveillance cameras in an attempt to identify who trampled to death a Wal-Mart worker after a crowd of post-Thanksgiving shoppers burst through the doors at a suburban store and knocked him down.

Criminal charges were possible, but identifying individual shoppers in Friday's video may prove difficult, said Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, a Nassau County police spokesman.

Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers stepped over him and became irate when officials said the store was closing because of the death, police and witnesses said.

At least four other people, including a woman who was eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries. The store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.

Police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the Wal-Mart doors before its 5 a.m. opening at a mall about 20 miles east of Manhattan. The impatient crowd knocked the employee, identified by police as Jdimytai Damour, to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

"This crowd was out of control," Fleming said. He described the scene as "utter chaos," and said the store didn't have enough security.

Dozens of store employees trying to fight their way out to help Damour were also getting trampled by the crowd, Fleming said. Shoppers stepped over the man on the ground and streamed into the store.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., closed the store in Valley Stream for several hours after the stampede. It reopened shortly after 1 p.m.

Death aint gonna stop this show.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:09 PM »
Criminal charges were possible, but identifying individual shoppers in Friday's video may prove difficult, said Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, a Nassau County police spokesman.

Not certain about this but the crowd being mostly black doesn't help either. ;D

Animals.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »
Not certain about this but the crowd being mostly black doesn't help either. ;D

Animals.

On suburban Long Island? ???
w

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »

The newscast made it seem like it was a black area. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:42:49 AM »
Those vermin are savages. 

I live in the Bronx and see these barbarians every day.  They put more effort into getting a tv than a damn job. 

The minute I heard about this on the radio I knew it would look like Katrina over there, and guess what????????

I was dead on 100% right. 

Walmart should have called the cops when they had these 2000 animals outside and told them to bring riot gear.

CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46:49 AM »

There are parts of LI that are terrible. 

Anywhere free crap is being given out, you know who is going to show up.

I knew the second this story broke out who stampeded this poor guy.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 01:23:24 PM »

Yeah.  In this case, all the people at the front of the line, most of it actually, were minority. But all that aside, there are pockets of LI that are home to awful people of all colors and creeds. Fights in grocery stores and elsewhere, over the stupidest nonsense...belligerent people to be found everywhere. Manhattan seems safe by comparison.   :)

It's partially Wal Mart's fault, but there's no doubt, the humans who slammed this guy into the ground, were as well.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:44:39 PM »
Yeah.  In this case, all the people at the front of the line, most of it actually, were minority. But all that aside, there are pockets of LI that are home to awful people of all colors and creeds. Fights in grocery stores and elsewhere, over the stupidest nonsense...belligerent people to be found everywhere. Manhattan seems safe by comparison.   :)

It's partially Wal Mart's fault, but there's no doubt, the humans who slammed this guy into the ground, were as well.

I agree Walmart should have set up corrals for these animals.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »
Thats just fucked up. Just goes to show how deep seeded human greed is.

Or how good Walmart prices and sales are. 

;D >:(  sorry i had to. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »
Or how good Walmart prices and sales are. 

;D >:(  sorry i had to. 

Unfortunately I live in the NYC area and know these people all too well.  Anywhere there is a handout they are sure to show up in massive numbers. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 02:51:51 PM »
I agree Walmart should have set up corrals for these animals.

I think so too. You know, there are places in LI where white/caucasian people are disgusting as well.  :) Poor, druggied, and if not, just altogether blech, rude people. I had to head out there a few times to physically take care of someone, and mostly just wanted to get back into normalcy every time.

People will always be people, meaning, not great. This time around, it was the minority,  and I doubt Judes would have posted her post, if she had known who did it. It's always best to just say who is responsible and well, find a way to figure out the reasons why and make it better.

Why this guy put himself into harm's way when he could've just moved aside and laughed at the idiots is beyond me. Must've really wanted to be employed.  :)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 04:26:22 PM »
I think so too. You know, there are places in LI where white/caucasian people are disgusting as well.  :) Poor, druggied, and if not, just altogether blech, rude people. I had to head out there a few times to physically take care of someone, and mostly just wanted to get back into normalcy every time.

People will always be people, meaning, not great. This time around, it was the minority,  and I doubt Judes would have posted her post, if she had known who did it. It's always best to just say who is responsible and well, find a way to figure out the reasons why and make it better.

Why this guy put himself into harm's way when he could've just moved aside and laughed at the idiots is beyond me. Must've really wanted to be employed.  :)

It wouldn't have made any difference to me which ethnicity was behind the stampede, I would still have posted it.
I think if the man had the ability to get out of the way he would have done so.  :-\
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »
It wouldn't have made any difference to me which ethnicity was behind the stampede, I would still have posted it.
I think if the man had the ability to get out of the way he would have done so.  :-\
[/quoteT]

Blaming the victim?????

That mob were no different than the katrina savages.

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 06:15:59 AM »
They act similar when they run 2 for 1 moon pies.

People are self-serving assholes for the most part and would just as soon run over you with their car to get to the drive-thru window and order their food if they didn't have fear of arrest or reprisal.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 11:29:07 AM »

I agree. I hate Long Island.
I hate the State.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »
I'd never shop at Walmart b/c shit like this happens there.  That and the big W is destroying the social and economic fabric of this country by systematically undercutting mom and pop stores in pricing, driving them out of business.  I hate the idea of Associate Greeters as well.  'Associates'. . .so now they pay their employees in titles.

Those big ol' anti-gov. types generally don't raise a peep when big business monopolizes our economic lives....it unfolds before their very eyes.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »
I'd never shop at Walmart b/c shit like this happens there.  That and the big W is destroying the social and economic fabric of this country by systematically undercutting mom and pop stores in pricing, driving them out of business.  I hate the idea of Associate Greeters as well.  'Associates'. . .so now they pay their employees in titles.

Those big ol' anti-gov. types generally don't raise a peep when big business monopolizes our economic lives....it unfolds before their very eyes.

These animals like zombies out of dawn of the dead are the only ones to blame on this.  They are savages and thugs.

I feel terrible for the worker who died.   

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
They need to run that tape back and start charging people with murder.   

Please make this happen.
from incomplete data

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
Please make this happen.

This is was each of these savages will say:

"Yo, I was pushed, yo.  I aint do nuttin.  I want my lawyer.  This is racist, you got nutting on me yo." 

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »
This is was each of these savages will say:

"Yo, I was pushed, yo.  I aint do nuttin.  I want my lawyer.  This is racist, you got nutting on me yo." 

Then have a sale with 1$ dollar iphone's and make each and every one of them stand in the way of the ensuing crowd.
from incomplete data