Author Topic: Serious Question  (Read 4792 times)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Serious Question
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
ok here is the situation.  One of my sisters is morbidely obese.  She is 5'9 300 lbs.  her fitness level is basically nonexistent.  For example, we went grocery shopping (at one point i almost slapped her hand as she was trying to stuff cookies in a cart lieka  kid), we get to my house nad she has a bag in each hand, and could barely make it up the two flights of stairs to my kitchen; 14 steps total.  I have had converstaions about her needing to lose weight, her going with me to the gym, and i have actually cooked all her meals for a week.  I mean all of them, breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks.  Nothing is working.  other than drugging her and sending her off to a camp I am out of ideas.  Any suggestions?  By the way, i am portly so it's not like she is intimidated going to the gym with me.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Serious Question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:04:49 PM »
Her life. If she doesn't care nothing you do or say will matter one bit.

People don't usually care about stuff like that until the get sick or suffer some social consequence.

Leave the big boned sister alone and do you.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:08:20 PM »
i was a trainer for a while and also have helped a few friends and friends of friends who wanted to lose weight and what it all boils down to imho is that if they dont want it theres not much you can do to help. That being said most ppl are so uneducated on even the simplest nutrition and workout basics its retarted maybe helping her understand some of the choices she makes i.e. food and whats wrong with them and the benefits of eating healthy may help. Same thing for working out if you give her a routine and make sure she knows what she is doing and the benefits of each exercise and not just do this do that maybe she will understand and take more interest. If youve given her all the education and help and she still refuses iono what else there is that you can do...good man for trying though.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »
If youve given her all the education and help and she still refuses iono what else there is that you can do...good man for trying though.
Agree.

Migs, does she happen to drink a lot of regular pop?  Maybe she could substitue diet (not that it's healthy) and she may see a change that could help to inspire her? 

Does she eat full-fat mayo or sour cream?  Those are 2 things that fat-free is just as good imo but maybe it's because I don't eat a lot of them.  I assume she gets enough other fats to lead to a feeling of satiation.

and i have actually cooked all her meals for a week.  I mean all of them, breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks. 

Do you think that the food you prepared was truly all she ate for that week?  Was she complaining about it?

...good man for trying though.
x2!
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
Yeah i have tried to educate her, even get her involved in shopping and prep, showing her how to make her meals easier etc.  After all I have a degree in nutrition so that part was covered.  Even though i need to practice it on my self better lol.  She doesn't drink regular soda, does drink diet stuff.  I think (know) that she cheats all the time.  I actually went to her house and emptied out the cabinets and threw crap away, but when i leave she does what she wants.  She liked what i made for her but i think she is so used to eating so much more that she snuck food.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 02:32:05 PM »
Do you, Migsy-poo.

Her life won't change before the mind does.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »
migsy-poo!  Only a few people can call me that lol.  We didn't go camping together did we?  joking.  ahem.  It's funny, my degree which is useless since i couldn't get into an internship is so biased.  Clinically it has it's applications but in real world settings many of the practices and strict adherence to the food pyramid can be laughable

~weed~

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »
Yeah i have tried to educate her, even get her involved in shopping and prep, showing her how to make her meals easier etc.  After all I have a degree in nutrition so that part was covered.  Even though i need to practice it on my self better lol.  She doesn't drink regular soda, does drink diet stuff.  I think (know) that she cheats all the time.  I actually went to her house and emptied out the cabinets and threw crap away, but when i leave she does what she wants.  She liked what i made for her but i think she is so used to eating so much more that she snuck food.

I think you have tried way beyond what most people would do, she knows you will help her, so now it is up to her.

Maybe she needs to find snacks that are better choices?  Too much of anything will make you fat, but if she could lose some weight just by substituting better choices then maybe that will be the push she needs?  But she has to want it since she is the one that will have to do it.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »
i think i might charter a plane and drop her off on an island.  That way she has to forage for food and will have no way to cheat.

~weed~

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
i think i might charter a plane and drop her off on an island.  That way she has to forage for food and will have no way to cheat.

That's the holiday spirit!   ;D

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »
it's survival of the fattest. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »
Just get her Lane Bryant gift cards for Christmas.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »
or a snicker at the end of a treadmill

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »

Maybe she needs to find snacks that are better choices? 
Can you find her some cheerios?
R

~weed~

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 02:55:29 PM »
Can you find her some cheerios?

my underwear is cheerio free at the moment! 

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »
my underwear is cheerio free at the moment! 

fixed  ;D

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 02:56:59 PM »
Try this :) Cleans you out real good.

E

~weed~

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 02:58:53 PM »

~weed~

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »
Try this :) Cleans you out real good.

I like the Nitrean, never have had a problem with it.   :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
Keto for her...
I hate the State.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
ok here is the situation.  One of my sisters is morbidely obese.  She is 5'9 300 lbs.  her fitness level is basically nonexistent.  For example, we went grocery shopping (at one point i almost slapped her hand as she was trying to stuff cookies in a cart lieka  kid), we get to my house nad she has a bag in each hand, and could barely make it up the two flights of stairs to my kitchen; 14 steps total.  I have had converstaions about her needing to lose weight, her going with me to the gym, and i have actually cooked all her meals for a week.  I mean all of them, breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks.  Nothing is working.  other than drugging her and sending her off to a camp I am out of ideas.  Any suggestions?  By the way, i am portly so it's not like she is intimidated going to the gym with me.

there's generally underlying mental issues associated with obesity,so while you can suggest exercising and diet change, it'll probably be all for not until you find the root of why she's addicted to food that's basically killing her...

self esteem and depression are some of the major offenders a lot of the time

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »
I like the Nitrean, never have had a problem with it.   :)
their results works pretty good as well never had a problem with it either but ive taken a lot of supplements in the past that have that effect on me danielson so i guess its just finding one you can live with.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »
Is she married?  Does she have children?  Does she care that she's killing herself and will be leaving behind loved ones?  What does her doctor say?
:D Weee

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »
Is she married?  Does she have children?  Does she care that she's killing herself and will be leaving behind loved ones?  What does her doctor say?

She is single, no kids.  We've had a heart to heart, her doctor (which is mine as well) pretty much laid it out for her.  I guess until she has a heart attack or pancreatitis she won't change.