Author Topic: Bush admits to ABC: I was 'unprepared for war." Do you accept Bush's apology?  (Read 3440 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now

Alright.

I'll break it down roughly:

The executive and managing unit:I think the Military needs to recruit a whole lot more from business schools. Have a good mix of suits and uniforms among the executives.

That would make the Military more cost effective.

Fighting units:
Phase out the big mech divisions, the big artilleries and similar.
Instead invest in special forces, small mobile units.
The threat is different from 50 years ago - now it's not about facing potentially an army of 100 000 soldiers. But rather small cells of maybe 5-100 fighters in each.
So change the weaponry as well.

Stop using a few of the big carriers. Develop new attack routines for dealing with eg modern oil tanker pirates.

Reforming the National Guard:
I see some kind of new domestic anti-terrorist force, similar to the MEK and SEK in Germany that similar to the German GSG-9.
Small units, specialized on urban warfare, all across the USA, who would be ready to hit potential threats within the hour.

The main thing though - spend money on quality.

Not quantity.

If USA have 2 plus million soldiers today and would reduce that to 500 000 it would mean a lot less soldiers.

But if you give all of them the same resources that the elite forces gets today, you really think the US army would be less potent?

Go for quality - not quantity.

This is just how I see it.

Downsizing and rationalizing is normal in the corporate world.

But somehow it's not in the Military.

I will try and address as much as I can....

The executive and managing unit:I think the Military needs to recruit a whole lot more from business schools. Have a good mix of suits and uniforms among the executives.  The vast majority of Officers above 03 have a Masters. I have one and will have 2 at some point. We have plenty of DA civilians who take care of budget concerns...its not an issue either way.

Phase out the big mech divisions, the big artilleries and similar.
Instead invest in special forces, small mobile units.
The threat is different from 50 years ago - now it's not about facing potentially an army of 100 000 soldiers. But rather small cells of maybe 5-100 fighters in each.
So change the weaponry as well.

We have the 1st Armored Div/1st Infantry Div and the 3rd ID as our Heavy Div. We also have 2 ACR's and the 4th ID. They are all "heavy but have fought light for years in Iraq. We have been transitioning to the "Objective Force" since 2001 and should be complete in 2012.  This is a Bde Centric force that has eveything u need to fight. Air/Arty/Med/Engineer/Intel etc etc in one small mobile package. I could go on but u get it.

Be aware that every time we fight one war one way, another war...forcing us to fight another way, arises. SO we can't abandon heavy armor...just make the organizations employing that armor, more rapidly deployable.

Stop using a few of the big carriers. Develop new attack routines for dealing with eg modern oil tanker pirates

Never....carriers are major power projection platforms that can do multiple jobs...from direct action air missions to humanitarian relief. What ur talking about is a littoral navy and I agree. The Navy is pushing for this. We need more brown water and costal ships designed for that..its under way now.

Reforming the National Guard:
I see some kind of new domestic anti-terrorist force, similar to the MEK and SEK in Germany that similar to the German GSG-9.
Small units, specialized on urban warfare, all across the USA, who would be ready to hit potential threats within the hour.

The main thing though - spend money on quality.

We have CEBRNE teams...and other "Homeland defense" specific organizations in the NG and Reserves. We have alot of these things already but we don't advertise em. As far as SOF forces...we're making em bigger and there is so much the American people don't know we have. We have, in the last 8 years, gone beyond anything Hollywood can make up. There are Black ops units everywhere ...well beyond Delta/Seals/Green Berets and our Rangers. They don't all kick doors, many are invloved in Humint etc. We are about 5000 short of the goal of about 570,000 active troops. Many of the units exits but arent fully manned. Obama will not begin any cuts until year 3...and honestly we don't feel we'll be cut much. Now some of the Libs here will say othewrwise buit they have no idea. Obama told P4 we won't be pulling out of Iraq until we're ready, that was months before the election. Obama has put in place a pretty hawkish foreign policy team, including Clinton. Anyway let me know if I can address anything further.

L

Decker

• Getbig V

Haha.

Bush is a piece of work for sure.

I just think he's a bit on the dumb side.

Not really think he's lying, lying in the sense the rest of us would be. Just think it's wishful thinking on his part - he's in denial.

Incredible how this man has been the most powerful man in the world for 8 years.

We've actually survived relatively unscathed from it.

A big financial crisis and a few strained foreign relations - it could've been much worse.

We could've easily been in a nucelar war or something else.

He is lying and he's a mass murderer b/c of that.  I know I come off sounding like Mr. Doom'nGloom but this sonofabitch killed 100,000 plus.  That's not affable wishful thinking.  That's a crime against humanity.

Yeah, President Nucular rides again.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Anyway let me know if I can address anything further.

Great post with hard facts.

Always appreciate your inside input on these things.

As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
He is lying and he's a mass murderer b/c of that.  I know I come off sounding like Mr. Doom'nGloom but this sonofabitch killed 100,000 plus.  That's not affable wishful thinking.  That's a crime against humanity.

Yeah, President Nucular rides again.

He's not a mass murderer because he's lying.

But he's a mass murderer because he started a war that was unjustified.

The American lifes, the Iraqi lifes, the European lifes..

That's all on him.

He's responsible.

The UN inspectors were doing their job.

But still Bush went to war.

If someone think that the war is somehow morally justified, how would they justify the enormous economic burden it has put on the US economy?

The guy is crook.

But he may not realize it.
As empty as paradise

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
HH6, why don't you ever mention anything about the Marines force recon?  I've always READ that they are comparable to SEALs. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Jag while u sit around and try and defraud millions with ur fuel caps...I actually accomplish something. Its amazing watching the Left disparge the military. My particular job in the Army takes alot more then shooting people. Look up all the things Information Operations incompasses. I'm trained to plan for and control everything from Computer network intrusions to Psyops....plus all the media related things I do. Jag, u put fake pills in a gas tank and call its saving the planet. Give me a break.

If your IQ is any indication of your thought process, it is hard to imagine the military entrusting you with any kind of remotely important duty.  Except something like,.. well maybe counting weapons in caves that the real soldiers found.

Decker

• Getbig V
He's not a mass murderer because he's lying.

But he's a mass murderer because he started a war that was unjustified.

The American lifes, the Iraqi lifes, the European lifes..

That's all on him.

He's responsible.

The UN inspectors were doing their job.

But still Bush went to war.

If someone think that the war is somehow morally justified, how would they justify the enormous economic burden it has put on the US economy?

The guy is crook.

But he may not realize it.
Bush garnered the consent of the public and the congress for the invasion of Iraq by lying about the threat posed by the country.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
HH6, why don't you ever mention anything about the Marines force recon?  I've always READ that they are comparable to SEALs. 

Because I grew up during a time when "Force Recon" was not part of SOCOM and sometimes its hard to teach an "old dog" new tricks. I was part of a Recon Battalion like u saw in Generation Kill before I went into the Army. We climbed alot of shit, nothing real fun.

I'm not a big SEAL fan. Force Recon never got the sexy missions that the SEALS do...but I've found them to be very professional. There aren't very many of em....or the new Marfor guys. U run into alot of dudes claming to have been Force Recon...kinda funny.  There's a huge difference between Force Recon and a Recon battalion.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
pssst: Hate to break it to you Dan-o, but HH6 is a meathead who only knows how to shoot things.  :P
That's not saying ALL members of the US military are like that, but HH6 is. Hey, the military needs guys like that.

Without guys like that, you would be in a Burqa.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
She's Canadian...that should explain it all.
L

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

Because I grew up during a time when "Force Recon" was not part of SOCOM and sometimes its hard to teach an "old dog" new tricks. I was part of a Recon Battalion like u saw in Generation Kill before I went into the Army. We climbed alot of shit, nothing real fun.

I'm not a big SEAL fan. Force Recon never got the sexy missions that the SEALS do...but I've found them to be very professional. There aren't very many of em....or the new Marfor guys. U run into alot of dudes claming to have been Force Recon...kinda funny.  There's a huge difference between Force Recon and a Recon battalion.

MY Bro in NC is Force Recon...since 98

Fort Bragg for Training. He is in Camp Lejune (sp) right now...fuck. my bro has been in the Marines for a long ass time.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Fort Bragg for Training. He is in Camp Lejune (sp) right now...fuck. my bro has been in the Marines for a long ass time.

Dont piss your brother off or you are in serious trouble!

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

I hear a lot of northern boys struggle in the summer down here with the heat and everything.  I used to train with a couple of Marines from here and they said they saw it all the time.  The humidity is so thick it's like your drowning sometimes.

I second that...don't piss the man off.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V

I couldn't remember which one of u guys had a Recon Marine brother...I know u mentioned it before. Did he get to go to Ranger school?

As far as Lejeune goes, the swap sucks. I've been all over that place. Its not fun.
L

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
I couldn't remember which one of u guys had a Recon Marine brother...I know u mentioned it before. Did he get to go to Ranger school?

As far as Lejeune goes, the swap sucks. I've been all over that place. Its not fun.

Not sure. ill ask him. But i know he is force recon. Remember those Bosnia things. Some shit (i might be wrong) about ground guys putting a marker on a building and then a smart bomb comming to blow it up...he did those... my bro has had the same team since 98. No one has been seriously injured. pretty cool imo

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Must have been Kosovo.....
L

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Must have been Kosovo.....

BOO YAW...THATS WHAT IT WAS...I always merge them .i thought you say bosnia and kosovo together when refering to the conflict

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
We were in Bosnia doing SFOR..then Kosovo kicked off so we bombed em...and then we went into KFOR. I rolled into KFOR after being in Bosnia for 10 months....thinking I was going home. Ur brother saw most of the very few ground actions we took.
L

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
We were in Bosnia doing SFOR..then Kosovo kicked off so we bombed em...and then we went into KFOR. I rolled into KFOR after being in Bosnia for 10 months....thinking I was going home. Ur brother saw most of the very few ground actions we took.

You were with the tanks huh

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Yeah...we never rolled em in Bosnia although we counted every friggen piece of ammo every 10 days incase we lost it. We rolled into Kosovo but our mission was different etc. It was alot of show and no go.
L

Mons Venus

Yeah...we never rolled em in Bosnia although we counted every friggen piece of ammo every 10 days incase we lost it. We rolled into Kosovo but our mission was different etc. It was alot of show and no go.

::)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
::)

say chief...i might not agree...strike that..i dont agree with HH6 on like 99% of politics...but dude you got to respect that he did put his life on the line for america...well maybe you arent american so you dont understand. So when it comes to talking about military service...dont be a dick...

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
say chief...i might not agree...strike that..i dont agree with HH6 on like 99% of politics...but dude you got to respect that he did put his life on the line for america...well maybe you arent american so you dont understand. So when it comes to talking about military service...dont be a dick...

Agreed
E

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
L