Author Topic: Any big curlers?  (Read 6927 times)

Big-C

• Getbig II
Re: Any big curlers?
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »
  21's  and drop sets are good

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
the time you're wasting on your "curl program" could be spent doing, y'know, important stuff. ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »
the time you're wasting on your "curl program" could be spent doing, y'know, important stuff. ::)

Great suggestion. ::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 08:19:29 PM »
okay then here's a suggestion. start doing all of your back work with an underhand grip. once you're doing underhand rows with 315 and doing chins with a 100 pound dumbbell on your waist for a set of 5, you'll have some good biceps.  curl, but don't bother with a "curl program".

madfox

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 06:45:43 AM »
Maybe you missed what this thread was about. I am trying to develops curl strength, I do not care about the size of my bicep, nor do I care to do underhand rows. I do however have my own set of goals which include howmuch I can curl for a power sports competition. Not having a curl program for this would be like training for bench without benching, it just wouldn't make sence.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »
okay then here's a suggestion. start doing all of your back work with an underhand grip. once you're doing underhand rows with 315 and doing chins with a 100 pound dumbbell on your waist for a set of 5, you'll have some good biceps.  curl, but don't bother with a "curl program".

yes that will really hit the biceps well

red part: is that possible?? the bigger you are the stronger you get, but your weight goes up too so it's a moot point.
tank u jesus

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »
yes that will really hit the biceps well

red part: is that possible?? the bigger you are the stronger you get, but your weight goes up too so it's a moot point.

magoo is right on..

my biceps are the same size as they were when i was hitting them religiously and all i'm doing is heavy back work and nothing else adn they're still a strong as ever.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 10:52:49 PM »

my biceps are the same size as they were when i was hitting them religiously and all i'm doing is heavy back work and nothing else adn they're still a strong as ever.

Actually that can be misleading, because it takes a lot less to maintain than to build, which doesn't mean compounds would be enough from day one. I don't believe believe that compounds were responsible for most of my development. But they could be enough if done in specific ways that essentially make compounds into at least partial isolation exercises.

They can then be more effective by focusing on certain areas of ROM and form. By doing that  further isolation of specific muscles is realized within a compound, This is exactly why it's suggested that compounds like bench press and lat work be made more effective by using certain techniques.

For example, chins work the bis intensely and can be even more effective by emphasizing parts of the ROM and changing the form used. Focusing on the upper range of ROM closer to the bar, rather than lowering all the way down where the back comes into play more is one way.

Another way is to modify form. With chins it's usually suggested to focus on elbow movement in order to focus more highly on the lats rather than arms. Converely, greater arm flection and development is realized by forgetting about elbows and focusing on maximum forearm movement. Focusing on the upper area of ROM on chins also hits the biceps better.

The same rules apply to any compound re: both ROM and form. For example, when Milos and others show had to best do bench presses for chest development, it's the same idea as above-by using scapular retraction the effect is more greatly concentrated on chest, just as the same scapular retraction applies to lat work.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »
direct bicep work is absolutely necessary to achieve good shape when hitting bodybuilding poses - front double bicep, side chest, back double bicep, most muscular. without direct bicep work the lifter will look very undeveloped in these shots. 

however, if one has no interest in bodybuilding, and just likes to lift heavy and look big, then theres no real reason to focus on direct bicep work.

...........ive always been a very strong curler...pulling movement... pulls come naturally to me. only now am i learning to lift with equal "NOT GIVE A FUCK" on push movements as i have always done on pull movements.