Author Topic: U.S. Can Expect 'Biological Weapons' Terror Attack By 2013: Report  (Read 2531 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
U.S. Can Expect 'Biological Weapons' Terror
Attack By 2013: Report

Tuesday December 2, 2008
By Pamela Hess, The Associated Press

A new report says the United States can expect a terrorist attack using nuclear or more likely biological weapons before 2013.

The warning comes from a bipartisan commission in a study being briefed Tuesday to vice-president-elect Joe Biden. It suggests Barack Obama's administration should bolster efforts to counter and prepare for germ warfare by terrorists.

"Our margin of safety is shrinking, not growing," states the report, obtained by The Associated Press.

It is scheduled to be publicly released Wednesday.

The commission is also encouraging the new White House to appoint one official on the National Security Council to exclusively co-ordinate U.S. intelligence and foreign policy on combating the spread of nuclear and biological weapons.

The report of the Commission on the Prevention of WMD Proliferation and Terrorism, led by former senators Bob Graham of Florida and Jim Talent of Missouri, acknowledges that terrorist groups still lack the needed scientific and technical ability to make weapons out of pathogens or nuclear bombs. But it warns that gap can be easily overcome, if terrorists find scientists willing to share or sell their know-how.

"The United States should be less concerned that terrorists will become biologists and far more concerned that biologists will become terrorists," the report states.

The commission believes biological weapons are more likely to be obtained and used before nuclear or radioactive weapons because nuclear facilities are more carefully guarded. Civilian laboratories with potentially dangerous pathogens abound, however, and could easily be compromised.

"The biological threat is greater than the nuclear; the acquisition of deadly pathogens, and their weaponization and dissemination in aerosol form, would entail fewer technical hurdles than the theft or production of weapons-grade uranium or plutonium and its assembly into an improvised nuclear device," states the report.

It notes that the U.S. government's counterproliferation activities have been geared toward preventing nuclear terrorism. The commission recommends the prevention of biological terrorism be made a higher priority.

Study chairman Graham said anthrax remains the most likely biological weapon. However, he told the AP that contagious diseases - like the flu strain that killed 40 million at the beginning of the 20th century - are looming threats. That virus has been recreated in scientific labs, and there remains no inoculation to protect against it if is stolen and released.

Graham said the threat of a terrorist attack using nuclear or biological weapons is growing "not because we have not done positive things but because adversaries are moving at an even faster pace to increase their access" to those materials.

He noted last week's rampage by a small group of gunmen in Mumbai.

"If those people had had access to a biological or nuclear weapon they would have multiplied by orders of magnitude the deaths they could have inflicted," he said.

Al-Qaida remains the only terrorist group judged to be actively intent on conducting a nuclear attack against the United States, the report notes. It is not yet capable of building such a weapon and has yet to obtain one. But that could change if a nuclear weapons engineer or scientist were recruited to al-Qaida's cause, the report warns.

The report says the potential nexus of terrorism, nuclear and biological weapons is especially acute in Pakistan.

"Were one to map terrorism and weapons of mass destruction today, all roads would intersect in Pakistan," the report states.

In fact, commission members were forced to cancel their trip to Pakistan this fall. The Islamabad Marriott Hotel that commission members were to stay in was blown up by terrorist bombs just hours before they were to check in.

"We think time is not our ally. The (United States) needs to move with a sense of urgency," Graham said.
w

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: U.S. Can Expect 'Biological Weapons' Terror Attack By 2013: Report
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:29:17 PM »
As long as they hit the east coast, it's all good....

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
There is nothing to fear, it's not like we have a nation we give lots of money for oil develop atomic/biologic/chemical weapons  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:11:06 PM »
what's the batting average of this bi-partisan commission?

who the fuck is making these predictions and why should I care?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »

I don't know, ...but it looks to me like someone is trying to psychologically soften people up for something in the works.
w

Alex23

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:04:25 AM »
I don't know, ...but it looks to me like someone is trying to psychologically soften people up for something in the works.

Or warn us of a possible pending attack....also it said US, ur Canadian Jag. The invisible canadian fence and ur Lib body armor should protect u.  ::)
L

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:13:07 AM »
Hmm...at the current rate I may never return to the US.
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »
As long as they hit the east coast, it's all good....

Thanks.  If a nuclear bomb hit NYC, I would be either vaporized or die of radiation in very short order.

The liberals who think the threat of terrorism is overblown only need look at India to see what is in store ofr a mall or school in the USA.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »
Thanks.  If a nuclear bomb hit NYC, I would be either vaporized or die of radiation in very short order.

The liberals who think the threat of terrorism is overblown only need look at India to see what is in store ofr a mall or school in the USA.

Which begs the question:   why hasn't it happen if it's so easy?   There are so many ways to commit terrorists attacks in the USA on a massive scale that are easy.  Combine that with our wide open borders, to the point that we've have instances of the same person being deported 3 different times in one year, they catch him , send him back, he shows again....3 times.

The threat is REAL.  But to what degree?  I think we done our job well.  We need to continue and shore up the borders.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »
Which begs the question:   why hasn't it happen if it's so easy?   There are so many ways to commit terrorists attacks in the USA on a massive scale that are easy.  Combine that with our wide open borders, to the point that we've have instances of the same person being deported 3 different times in one year, they catch him , send him back, he shows again....3 times.

The threat is REAL.  But to what degree?  I think we done our job well.  We need to continue and shore up the borders.

I believe that anything less than the carnage caused 9/11 will be seen as a defeat for the terrorists.  Thus, I believe that they are plannning something much larger in scope and with much wider reaching effects.

A nuclear bomb during a sporting event like Sum of All Fears or something of that nature.

Look up a guy named Paul D. Williams.  He was on Michael Savage a few times and talked about this and literally had me sweating by the time he was done.  It was mostly about the AQ Khan network and paki scientists selling nuclear ideas, plans, etc to the terrorists.

Granted, its not easy to pull it off, but it is still game over for the USA if we are hit by a nuclear bomb.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »

Oh yea, you're in the Bronx, I forgot.

Ok, be sure to go on vacation that day.

Maybe the Israelis can give you a heads up, a la 9-11?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 08:55:16 AM »

19 guys with box cutters started all this.  Now with the 24 Jack Bauer-fed citizenry, every single terrorist worst-case-scenario is bandied about as if it is unavoidable.  I hate alarmists.  I like fried chickenwings (w/out that fucking buffalo sauce).  But I hate alarmists.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:59:45 AM »
Oh yea, you're in the Bronx, I forgot.

Ok, be sure to go on vacation that day.

Maybe the Israelis can give you a heads up, a la 9-11?

Im not Jewish but will play one for a day if I can be let in on the secret.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:05:11 AM »
19 guys with box cutters started all this.  Now with the 24 Jack Bauer-fed citizenry, every single terrorist worst-case-scenario is bandied about as if it is unavoidable.  I hate alarmists.  I like fried chickenwings (w/out that fucking buffalo sauce).  But I hate alarmists.

I thought Bush and Cheney were behind 9/11?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »
I believe that anything less than the carnage caused 9/11 will be seen as a defeat for the terrorists.  Thus, I believe that they are plannning something much larger in scope and with much wider reaching effects.

A nuclear bomb during a sporting event like Sum of All Fears or something of that nature.

Look up a guy named Paul D. Williams.  He was on Michael Savage a few times and talked about this and literally had me sweating by the time he was done.  It was mostly about the AQ Khan network and paki scientists selling nuclear ideas, plans, etc to the terrorists.

Granted, its not easy to pull it off, but it is still game over for the USA if we are hit by a nuclear bomb.

I disagree about it being seen as defeat.  Any attack will be viewed as defeat for America because it will show America as powerless.

If a nuke hit America is game over for everyone. Our life as we know it will cease to exist.  We will become a police state and the Middle east will become a parking lot.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
i'm with ozmo on this one. cnn had theyre 'terrorist expert" on 360 last night and he brought up a good point. He said the usa's top scientists were the catslist behind the anthrax attacks...he said if the brightest mind could only muster up 5 deaths than what could some sand coons possibly have in store....

i think he had a legit point.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 10:46:26 AM »
i'm with ozmo on this one. cnn had theyre 'terrorist expert" on 360 last night and he brought up a good point. He said the usa's top scientists were the catslist behind the anthrax attacks...he said if the brightest mind could only muster up 5 deaths than what could some sand coons possibly have in store....

Bio warfare is very hard to do....u have to weaponize it and deliver it in something that doesn't vaporize the shit ur trying to kill people with. Its much easier to do a Mumbai attack. Plus we have folks keeping an eye on who is doing what etc.

Ozmo makes a good point about the Middle East being a parking lot. We've let it be known that if we're hit by nukes...and its traced to muslim's...all bets are off. Its MAD for the Middle East.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »

Remember the "DC Sniper"????

Those two clowns - Malvo & John Mohammed killed 13 people with 1 Bushmaster AR15 rifle and had DC abnd the whole area tied up for days!

BTW - Malvo was an illegal alien!

How quick we forget no???????????? 

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »
Or warn us of a possible pending attack....also it said US, ur Canadian Jag. The invisible canadian fence and ur Lib body armor should protect u.  ::)

But hopefully it wont.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »

Agreed...  wtf are the yahoos who comprise this bi-partisan commission?  A bunch of stuffed shirts in DC?  Where are they getting their intel from?  I mean wtf.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »

Bio warfare is very hard to do....u have to weaponize it and deliver it in something that doesn't vaporize the shit ur trying to kill people with. Its much easier to do a Mumbai attack. Plus we have folks keeping an eye on who is doing what etc.

Ozmo makes a good point about the Middle East being a parking lot. We've let it be known that if we're hit by nukes...and its traced to muslim's...all bets are off. Its MAD for the Middle East.

Think so? Think the rest of the world is going to let us mess up their oil supply?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 11:30:01 AM »
Agreed...  wtf are the yahoos who comprise this bi-partisan commission?  A bunch of stuffed shirts in DC?  Where are they getting their intel from?  I mean wtf.

We warned India about the attack in October!  If we had intel for that, imagine what else is out there! 

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 11:40:51 AM »
We warned India about the attack in October!  If we had intel for that, imagine what else is out there! 

Oh I don't at all mean to imply that the threat of terrorism should be underestimated.  I'm just curious who this nebulous, nameless, faceless "bipartisan commission" consists of.

If anything, I'm sure there are far more terrorism plots detected and thwarted on a daily/weekly basis than we ever hear about.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »

They're saying the threat is not so much nuclear, but biological. It is too difficult for terrorists to get their hands on nuclear materials, so they may go biological. furthermore, the threat is not so much that terrorists could become biologists, but that biologist could become terrorists.
w