Author Topic: Any teachers out there?  (Read 17539 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Any teachers out there?
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »
Installing cable and teaching Transcendentalism are not the same thing.  You have to learn that there is no one right answer and that education is always a continual process of interpretation or re-interpretation in response to new and changing evidence coupled with a shifting social zeitgeist.

If you like constants and neat simple answers, teach math.
You make a case for relativism here, TA. However, if there were no rigid measures for objectivity, or guidelines, then the world would be nothing but polemics -ie. one persons opinion would be judged as valid as the next. Off course, that is not true and is complete nonsense. Some people know more than others: Profs over students; Art critics over museum goers; and (really important here!) Physicians and patients. See how that works.  :)

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »
I am considering doing teaching...can anyone recommend it. I really dont have a clue what on earth i am going to do for a career. Application does not have to be in until November but i have applied for jobs in the meantime, maybe i will like them and stick at it...maybe not. Always thought about teaching as a career i could enjoy and be interested in.

I wish i knew what to do with my life lol

Do you love to feed your ego?

Do you love a particular topic that you feel is absolutely vital for people to know?

Do you have a way of making things seem simpler than they are?

Are you good at deductive reasoning and communicating it to others?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »

::) what does a picture from the tribune india paper have to do with your fake degrees ?
175lbs by 31st July

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
Do you love to feed your ego?

Do you love a particular topic that you feel is absolutely vital for people to know?

Do you have a way of making things seem simpler than they are?

Are you good at deductive reasoning and communicating it to others?

I like feeling good.

No topic to me is vital though i always enjoyed history.

Yes i think so, i watched one teacher in particular...he was awesome at doing that

I believe so.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 04:27:21 PM »
I've got an education degree, TA, and I gotta say that demeanour and how you handle yourself in front to students plays no small part of having a productive class and being a good/competent teacher. Now, from the tenor of postings alone - yours and Goudy's - who would you rather have in front of a group of kids?  ;) 

(Debussey posting while running from the automated assraping alien anal probe droid)

Debussey has only one degree: In fucking Dr.Chimps ass in the sauna.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »

(Debussey posting while running from the automated assraping alien anal probe droid)

Debussey has only one degree: In fucking Dr.Chimps ass in the sauna.
Uh, welcome back, bro. Things still the same, I see.  :-X          ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »
You make a case for relativism here, TA. However, if there were no rigid measures for objectivity, or guidelines, then the world would be nothing but polemics -ie. one persons opinion would be judged as valid as the next. Off course, that is not true and is complete nonsense. Some people know more than others: Profs over students; Art critics over museum goers; and (really important here!) Physicians and patients. See how that works.  :)
Goudy is talking in terms of Literature and History not Obstetrics and Neurosurgery.  There are facts certainly to agree upon, but the point of History and Literature is totally lost if you reduce it to box and checked answers.

I don`t think there is a clear line of one group knowing more than another group.  If Dave Palumbo was teaching diet courses to Richard Dawkins, we wouldn`t automatically assume that Dave Palumbo is superior and "knows more" than Richard Dawkins about the human diet.

If Andy Warhol were alive and writing an article as Michelangelo walks in the museum to see what all the fuss was about, we wouldn`t assume that Warhol knows more about art.

I have seen a lot of steroid users here claim that their doctors were morons when it came to steroids and the application thereof.

I don`t think you can make those relative distinctions so easily.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 04:30:30 PM »
Uh, welcome back, bro. Things still the same, I see.  :-X          ;D

Why did you not go into chemistry like your father? >:(

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 04:32:26 PM »
Why is religion even a subject in schools... It has no relevance for your education anyways. If anything it should be a small part of history as a remembrance of human stupidity  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2008, 04:32:44 PM »

Why did you not go into chemistry like your father? >:(
Ooooh, boy. Ouch. That opens up a whole kettle of family fish, of which I am not prepared to discuss on this forum.   8)

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2008, 04:33:24 PM »
Why is religion even a subject in schools... It has no relevance for your education anyways. If anything it should be a small part of history as a remembrance of human stupidity  ;D
folklore like other control devices

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
I like feeling good.

No topic to me is vital though i always enjoyed history.

Yes i think so, i watched one teacher in particular...he was awesome at doing that

I believe so.

Sounds like a good choice for you. Be able to "internalize" (do you know what that means?) things and translate them into different words. One thing has many forms; words are just symbols for actual concepts.

Most of the time someone doesn't understand something it's not because they're too stupid, but because the wording wasn't consistent to the terms in which they understand, or normally think. So, be able to state a concept in many different ways. Many times you'll just say the same thing differently and BAM, you've got 'em! Revelation...

I must say, Goudy, you HAVE to think what you're teaching is vital. That is an absolute must and probably the most important thing. Maybe you're just interested in a lot of things, therefore could teach a lot of different things, thinking many things are vital? This is often the case when a brilliant mind can't pinpoint one thing...

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:30 PM »
Ooooh, boy. Ouch. That opens up a whole kettle of family fish, of which I am not prepared to discuss on this forum.   8)

As long as you teach the students about Gary Busey and how he is god and all, you = fine in Debusseys book.

8)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »
Grasping at straws TA.

I remember my lower 6th coursework question.

It was along the lines of "Maurice Hindle has described Marry shelly's Frankenstein as a move away from the romantic era and a push towards enlightenment. To what extent would you agre with this statement"...along those lines anyway

There are correct answers within the text to show example for and against. Highlight these and present them in a structure and coherent manner then you pass.

TBUNZEE

• Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »
I am teaching in a grade 5/6 split and loving every minute of it....I can agree with some comments that teacher burnout is easy and you gotta go slow at first....The career in general is very rewarding and will allow you to learn somthing new eveyday and feel great because you know you are making a diffrence.  Everyday is different and poses new challenges so it will keep you on your toes if you can get around the classroom management and create respect amongst your students from early on....the rest falls into place from their.....go for it cause its a wonderful career.....

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »
I am teaching in a grade 5/6 split and loving every minute of it....I can agree with some comments that teacher burnout is easy and you gotta go slow at first....The career in general is very rewarding and will allow you to learn somthing new eveyday and feel great because you know you are making a diffrence.  Everyday is different and poses new challenges so it will keep you on your toes if you can get around the classroom management and create respect amongst your students from early on....the rest falls into place from their.....go for it cause its a wonderful career.....

Yes, yes...spare the rod and spoil the child.  TBUNZEE put these little scamps in their place, straight away.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »
I sure hope you don`t end up on a TBUNZEE exposed thread given the information you just gave out.  Better not make anyone angry I suppose.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2008, 07:37:18 PM »
I taught 6-7th and 8th grade (special needs/behaviour problems) a group of around 15 - 20 kids
i had them all day (it was in a public school) and taught them all subjects
one of my former students sent me these pics recently
best job i ever had!

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2008, 07:41:56 PM »
I taught 6-7th and 8th grade (special needs/behaviour problems)

Blind leading the blind  ;)

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
Whatever the teaching philosophies spoken of on the first couple of pages the bottom line is that a degree is still necessary for most teaching jobs. One can view themselves as a "gadfly" or contrarian but if they do not possess that piece of paper legitimizing their teaching credentials they are relegated to the sidelines as far as scholarly teaching. 

AVBG

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2008, 08:13:24 PM »
Blind leading the blind  ;)
haha (jk- no offense Mike)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »
My dad's been a lecturer for years and he's been stuck on the top grade of the pay scale for the last five.  It's a difficult job, you'll always get trouble from some kids, they'll change the curriculum on you with no notice, and there's always some 'meeting' you have to go to at 9am when you've got no classes til 2pm!

Also, you need to be able to explain things to the kids in so many different ways.  It's no good telling the kid 'this is this because it is'.  They'll ask why it's that way, why do we do it like that, and you have to be able to explain it to them.  I think you mentioned putting oil in a car as an example, yes you can tell them where it goes, and how often to put it in, but kids will want to know why the car needs oil, where the oil comes from, what's the oil made from, etc.  Your job as a teacher is to be able to answer all of those questions.

Having said that, I can imagine the satisfaction from teaching them something, and them understanding it is fantastic.  I've got a 5 year old son who's constantly asking questions, and I patiently explain everything to him, and it gets annoying sometimes.  But when his teacher, or his grandparents come and tell me he's told them something I taught him, it makes it all worthwhile.

Shit, that's a long post...  Oh well.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »
You may be qualified to teach Religion since it is all made up and fictitious as it is.  If you do decide to teach Religion, please make aware to your students that it is not based at all in reality or fact.

Make sure you inform them that faith is belief contrary to evidence or in the absence of evidence.

ditto..lol ;D

one day religion will make way for scientology...or perhaps there'll be a choice between 2 bullshit fiction histories and the real one?

wtf is wrong with this world so that we have millions of people walking around denying the truth?- thats the crux of all of our problems.

i cant think of a single event where religion has actually helped the world progress.

can anyone else?

crazye

• Getbig I
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »
Teaching is cool, if that's what you really want to do. I came back to teaching (5/6 in the States) after 7 years in the 'corporate' merry-go-round.  Money isn't as great, but teaching is a better fit.  It can be difficult at times...but really, what isn't at times?  I agree with some of the other comments, go slow, learn from your mistakes and (try) to remain positive.

Good Luck.