Author Topic: iPod / iTunes Help  (Read 1572 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
iPod / iTunes Help
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:16:09 AM »
Is it possible to put all the songs from my Shuffle AND all the songs from someone else's iPod on to my new (used) ipod Nano?  If so, how?
:

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: iPod / iTunes Help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »
That depends:

-- on the storage capacity of your Nano

-- how many songs you want to transfer

-- do you have all of these songs on your computer already or are you trying to combine the song catalogs of two different ipods into your computer and then move them to your new Nano?

--are you on a Mac or PC?

As you may know, the songs on any given ipod are linked to the itunes library of a specific computer.  Apple (and the record companies) do not want you to be able to take an ipod full of music over to your friend's house, for example, and give them a copy of all the songs on your ipod.  If you connect an ipod to your computer that is not already "linked" to the itunes library on that computer, your computer will ask you if you want to replace the contents of the ipod with the song library on the computer. :-\

It IS possible to get around this limitation, but doing so is not for a computer novice.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
ahhh, so many questions  :D

As you may know, the songs on any given ipod are linked to the itunes library of a specific computer.  Apple (and the record companies) do not want you to be able to take an ipod full of music over to your friend's house, for example, and give them a copy of all the songs on your ipod. 

But that's exactly what I want to do  :-\

That depends:

-- on the storage capacity of your Nano  It's an 8GB (2000 songs) 3rd generation

-- how many songs you want to transfer  I think a little over 1000

-- do you have all of these songs on your computer already or are you trying to combine the song catalogs of two different ipods into your computer and then move them to your new Nano?  Sort of  :-\  I have about 250 songs on my computer and my shuffle.  My friend has over 1000 songs and I just LOVE all the music he has, so I want all of his music from his computer on my new Nano and it would be nice to continuously add to that from my own computer.  Make sense?

--are you on a Mac or PC?  We're both PC.

It IS possible to get around this limitation, but doing so is not for a computer novice.  Well, neither one of us is a total novice, but we're not gurus either.

:

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
>But that's exactly what I want to do 

If they made it easy for everyone to do that then no one would ever buy music; they would just load up their ipods with all the music they own and then swap ipods again and again among their friends.  Surely, you see why they have made this hard to do?

As I said, it can be done.  There is a program called senuti (iTunes spelled backwards).  With it, you can copy anything from an ipod to a computer that it is not specifically linked to.  Senuti used to be for Macs only, but I believe it is available for PCs now too.  You can find it on the internet.

Good luck.

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
im gonna make it easy for you without going deep

www.google.com -> copy mp3 from ipod to pc

and there you go..i think this has been covered before

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »
>But that's exactly what I want to do 

If they made it easy for everyone to do that then no one would ever buy music; they would just load up their ipods with all the music they own and then swap ipods again and again among their friends.  Surely, you see why they have made this hard to do?

As I said, it can be done.  There is a program called senuti (iTunes spelled backwards).  With it, you can copy anything from an ipod to a computer that it is not specifically linked to.  Senuti used to be for Macs only, but I believe it is available for PCs now too.  You can find it on the internet.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't find senuti for PC, but I'll figure something out.  None of this music has been purchased from iTunes, just converted from existing CDs.
:

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 07:52:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I didn't find senuti for PC, but I'll figure something out.  None of this music has been purchased from iTunes, just converted from existing CDs.

doesnt matter if its from itunes or not, protection already cracked 3 years ago

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »

Do you know how to use search engines like Google or Yahoo?  The program is here:

http://www.ipodrip.net/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/IPOD-TOOLS/Multimedia-IPOD-tools/Senuti-iPod-Rip.shtml

http://senuti-pc.qarchive.org/

If you had trouble finding this program, you may have even more trouble using it.  :-\  Perhaps you should get someone to help walk you through using it.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »
Do you know how to use search engines like Google or Yahoo?  The program is here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/IPOD-TOOLS/Multimedia-IPOD-tools/Senuti-iPod-Rip.shtml

If you had trouble finding this program, you may have even more trouble using it.  :-\  Perhaps you should get someone to help walk you through using it.

lazy people is all over the net

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »

No, some people just need alittle help with the net. Some people are not as gifted to the computer/net when it comes down to it as others. I went to three big time colleges and i had a hard time with some programs.
D

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 12:44:10 PM »
No, some people just need alittle help with the net. Some people are not as gifted to the computer/net when it comes down to it as others. I went to three big time colleges and i had a hard time with some programs.

you dont really need to be a genius to use google, the way its coded (part of it) was ment to help those who dont really know shit and hence the success.
as i said, lazy people that wants everything served.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 12:51:11 PM »
I'm not a computer guru, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Couldn't you open the iTunes folder on your friends hard drive, where the actual music files are stored, copy them to a memory stick and take them home to add them to your own?

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »

Couldn't you open the iTunes folder on your friends hard drive, where the actual music files are stored, copy them to a memory stick and take them home to add them to your own?

You should read before commenting something, in that way people wont laugh at you  :)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
You should read before commenting something, in that way people wont laugh at you  :)

Sorry, just thought I'd ask if it was possible to do it that way.   :(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »

Read first.  Then comment.  The OP has access to two ipods with music on them--not the actual computers with the music files.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »
Read first.  Then comment.  The OP has access to two ipods with music on them--not the actual computers with the music files.

now we agree on something  :)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 04:11:05 PM »

I am far from lazy.  Computers and gadgets are not my forte'.  What's wrong with asking for a little advice or help?

Yes, I googled it and all that came back for me were programs for Mac - I didn't search beyond the first page of results since you weren't sure if a Windows version existed, I didn't persist in searching.  Plus, I'm always leary of "free downloads".  Not sure who to trust.  :-\
:

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »

I am far from lazy.  Computers and gadgets are not my forte'.  What's wrong with asking for a little advice or help?

Yes, I googled it and all that came back for me were programs for Mac - I didn't search beyond the first page of results since you weren't sure if a Windows version existed, I didn't persist in searching.  Plus, I'm always leary of "free downloads".  Not sure who to trust.  :-\

if you dont trust free downloads you can always use google to see if the source is legit, check if the program comes with spyware/adware, and so on.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »

now we agree on something  :)

I did read first:

so I want all of his music from his computer on my new Nano and it would be nice to continuously add to that from my own computer.

If it's not possible then just say so.  The iTunes music files are stored on her friends hard drive, so why not just find them, copy them and take them home. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »

You weren't trying very hard.  If you googled "senuti" then, yes, you got programs for Mac.  If you googled "senuti PC" then you got links to senuti that work on the PC/windows.  I don't want to pile on and call you lazy, but you are acting rather helpless about something that is not very complicated.  This suggests that you might not be up to the technical challenge of consolidating the music files from multiple ipods.  Again, I suggest you find a technically savvy friend to help you.  If you have no such friend, you may have to bite the bullet and legitimately buy the music you want. :-\

Psychophysio

• Getbig III
  • Worthless
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 12:24:45 AM »
Anapod explorer is a good way to get music on your ipod without the evils of iTunes
The jungle of the senses.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 06:54:27 AM »
Anapod explorer is a good way to get music on your ipod without the evils of iTunes

What benz said.  ::)