Author Topic: "Kimbo Slice" booked for FiELDS K-1 WGP 2008 Final's HDNet broadcast team  (Read 936 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
EliteXC heavyweight Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson will be a guest broadcaster during HDNet's U.S. broadcast of FiELDS K-1 WGP 2008 Final, which the event's promoters are calling the largest mixed-martial-arts event in the world.

The event takes place at the Yokohama Arena in Tokyo, Japan, and airs live on HDNet early tomorrow morning (Saturday, Dec. 6) at 3 a.m. ET. A replay airs later in the day at 9 p.m. ET.

Ferguson, who's been a rumored potential signing of K-1's, will join the broadcast team with Michael Schiavello, four time K-1 WGP Champion Ernesto Hoost and FEG USA's Mike Kogan.

FiELDS K-1 WGP 2008 Final, an eight-man knockout tournament for the coveted K-1 grand prix crown, features opening-round bouts of Peter Aerts vs. Badr Hari, Errol Zimmerman vs. Ewerton Teixeria, Gokhan Saki vs. Ruslan Karaev, and Remy Bonjasky vs. Jerome LeBanner.

Non-tournament "super fights" include "Sugar" Ray Sefo vs. Hong Mann Choi, and Paul Slowinski vs. Melvin Maenhoff.

All fights will use K-1 rules, which dictate stand-up contests with no ground fighting.

K-1 reportedly has interest in signing Ferguson, a former underground street-fighting legend who hasn't competed in MMA since a 14-second loss to Seth Petruzelli at October's "EliteXC: Heat" event. It was his first loss in four professional MMA fights.

Ferguson first needs to deal with his EliteXC contract as the company clings to life. However, assuming Ferguson eventually signs with K-1, it's likely U.S. fans will see him competing on HDNet in 2009.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: "Kimbo Slice" booked for FiELDS K-1 WGP 2008 Final's HDNet broadcast team
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »
 ::)

BlueDevil

• Getbig IV
Re: "Kimbo Slice" booked for FiELDS K-1 WGP 2008 Final's HDNet broadcast team
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 04:59:09 AM »

here's an interview with kimbo after the tournament ( he thinks he'll do well in k-1 )

(Commentator) Kimbo Slice

Q: What is your impression of K-1?

A: I want to thank everyone for being here. It is my first time in Japan. I don’t understand the language. The people are very kind, and the food is good. I’m really enjoying it.

Q: And how about K-1?

A: It is very interesting. It is different to how I fight, but some things are being considered.

Q: Were there any fighters here tonight that caught your attention?

A: I was a little bit, well, not disappointed, but Bard Hari is a real fighter. A fighter by profession, and by nature. K-1 is a respectful organization though, so I give him a yellow card too. A bit of a slap on the hand so to speak. But you have to love him for being that true fighter. The bad guy.

Q: Do you feel that K-1 would play towards your natural strengths more than MMA?

A: K-1 would be a good thing as it is stand up, which is more one-dimensional so it is good. There is no ground game to deal with, but then you add knees and some other strikes and yeah, it is interesting. I think with my natural strengths I would do well in K-1.

Q: Would you be interested in fighting Badr Hari?

A: (Laughs) Whoever the opponent is would be OK. As a fighter I don’t really worry about who I fight. If the match-makers made that fight, it would be good for me. I have seen how he fights now, and I just love fighting. I really love everything about fighting.