Author Topic: House of Saddam on HBO, you going to watch?  (Read 4577 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
House of Saddam on HBO, you going to watch?
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
I'll watch it tonight after Dexter

http://www.hbo.com/films/houseofsaddam/index.html

HOUSE OF SADDAM offers a fresh perspective on the dictator, his relationships and his actions behind closed doors, retelling events from inside the very heart of the regime. The international cast includes Igal Naor ("Rendition," "Munich") as Saddam Hussein; Oscar® nominee Shohreh Aghdashloo ("House of Sand and Fog") as Saddam's first wife, Sajida; Philip Arditti ("10 Days to War") as Saddam's oldest son, Uday; Said Taghmaoui ("Vantage Point," "The Kite Runner") as Saddam's half-brother, Barzan Ibrahim; and Christine Stephen-Daly ("Casualty," "Cutting It") as Saddam's mistress and subsequent second wife, Samira.

"In the history of Iraq and in the world of Saddam Hussein, details are often blurred by politics, propaganda and pure self-interest," explains co-director, co-writer and executive producer Alex Holmes. "We set out to talk to as many people as we could who had known Saddam first-hand in order to piece together a picture of what life was like inside Saddam's ever-shrinking inner circle. We spoke to his allies and to his adversaries; to politicians, exiles, palace insiders, his cooks, his menservants, friends of the Hussein family and government ministers. We interviewed people inside and outside Iraq.

"We cross-referenced these interviews with pictures and home movies left behind by the Hussein family, some produced for propaganda purposes, but others more candid, salvaged from the regime's destroyed palaces. And we accessed the partial trail of documents that emerged following the fall of the secretive and obsessively bureaucratic regime. The process took three years and involved a team of three researchers, all Arabic speakers. What emerges is a distinct and independent portrait of a dictator and his center of power."

Beginning in 1979, when Saddam seized control of Iraq in a bloody coup, the miniseries details the impact of his political ambitions and his belief in his own historical significance on his most trusted advisors, closest friends and family members - and on Saddam himself. Within the walls of his opulent palaces and on the streets of Iraq, respect and love are interwoven with fear as Saddam exerts his dominance. He maintains power for almost 25 years in the face of mounting domestic and international pressures, demonstrating an amazing aptitude for survival. Eventually, however, the House of Saddam begins to crumble, and as its leader becomes increasingly isolated from the international community and those nearest to him, his grip on reality and on power fades

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: House of Saddam on HBO, you going to watch?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »
So did you watch?

Its good.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »
i'm watching the part2, saw the 1st. Really like it.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »
Just finished part 4.

Great show, very interesting.

Interesting how Saddam and his men all seem to like Walther PPK's and P-38's...   8)
S

Alex23

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 06:20:50 PM »
Just finished part 4.

Great show, very interesting.

Interesting how Saddam and his men all seem to like Walther PPK's and P-38's...   8)

Cheap german guns.... or maybe that's all the HBO props guy had...

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »

Cheap german guns.... or maybe that's all the HBO props guy had...

You don't like Walther's?

I have a couple nice pre-war PPK's.

Wish I had these:

S

Alex23

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 06:34:30 PM »
You don't like Walther's?

I have a couple nice pre-war PPK's.

Wish I had these:

I was kidding... P99 is one of my all time favorite..

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »
shit i forgot about parts 3+4, will watch later

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »
shit i forgot about parts 3+4, will watch later

lol

Forgot the start time. I'll watch it later

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 07:20:15 PM »
i dont plan on watching.

I had a walther ppk... very cool gun.. but it acts like a cheese grater on the thumb when you fire 100 rounds thru it.  never tried the P99, but many people like it.  Nothing beats a glock.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »
Wish I had a M9

lol
S

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 10:40:31 AM »
i dont plan on watching.

I had a walther ppk... very cool gun.. but it acts like a cheese grater on the thumb when you fire 100 rounds thru it.  never tried the P99, but many people like it.  Nothing beats a glock.

The slide always catches my hand on the PPK.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 10:48:07 AM »
The slide always catches my hand on the PPK.

I didn't like the hammer getting caught on shirt with the draw either.  It looks great in a suit lol... and with a tux, i'd settle for nothing less.  But in terms of practicality, it's just not there.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
I didn't like the hammer getting caught on shirt with the draw either.  It looks great in a suit lol... and with a tux, i'd settle for nothing less.  But in terms of practicality, it's just not there.

My best shooting as far as accuracy is with Glocks.  The 17 is perfect for me, but the 26 is better for concealment. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 10:58:06 AM »
My best shooting as far as accuracy is with Glocks.  The 17 is perfect for me, but the 26 is better for concealment. 

I have the G27 for concealment.  Have carried 40 caliber glocks for about 10 years now.  Very strong, accurate, and they can shoot thru any set of circumstances. 

Those nickel-plated guns look nice, but theyare high-maintenance. 

Those guns with hammers and external safeties are just begging to get snagged when you really need a fast draw.

Nothing beats the boring-ass glock.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »
I have the G27 for concealment.  Have carried 40 caliber glocks for about 10 years now.  Very strong, accurate, and they can shoot thru any set of circumstances. 

Those nickel-plated guns look nice, but theyare high-maintenance. 

Those guns with hammers and external safeties are just begging to get snagged when you really need a fast draw.

Nothing beats the boring-ass glock.

All Plaxico had to do is where a stupid ankle holster.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 11:06:34 AM »
All Plaxico had to do is where a stupid ankle holster.

thunderwear is what you'd want to use for nightclub packing.

http://www.thunderwear.com/

He probably had that shit stuck in  his waistband like a moron.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
thunderwear is what you'd want to use for nightclub packing.

http://www.thunderwear.com/

He probably had that shit stuck in  his waistband like a moron.

He was wearing sweatpants!

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 07:32:10 AM »

Cheap german guns....

Cheap and German are not two words that go together as a rule, and guns are no different. Walther has made many fine guns, and most of the worlds best come from that region. Give me that all American 1911 blaster any day, but many fine machines come from them. I had a Walther as my one and only polymer gun. As  polymer guns go, it was great, but I learned quickly I am an all metal kinda guy and sold it. ;)

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 07:34:04 AM »
i dont plan on watching.

Tell that to the worlds top combat shooters who all use a 1911... :o ;D :o

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 07:57:22 AM »

haha 1911 is nice, if you can conceal it.  I wouldn't want to try to go to the movies wearing one.  I guess there's always the fanny pack, but that sort of screams "I'm the hero in the room, cap my ass first!"

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 08:08:34 AM »
haha 1911 is nice, if you can conceal it.

One of the easiest guns there is to conceal. Concealment is an issue of width, not length, and the 1911 is the thinnest gun around when talking effective SD calibers, much thinner then even compact glocks. Printing is an issue of width, not length.

I wouldn't want to try to go to the movies wearing one.

Done it a zillion times in a zillion different places and outfits. Full sized government 1911. The real issue for people is not concealment but weight. They are heavy, and that's a legit issue. I don't even notice it anymore personally, and the trade off is worth it as no gun is ever too light when you have to carry it all day and none too big and heavy when the SHTF. Glocks fit that balance for many, but I only take note of "nothing beats a glock" type statements.  ;D

The worlds top combat shooters and or competitors shoot the 1911 platform for a reason: it has no equal. Which is not to say there are not plenty of other good robust designs, ergo Glock, HK, Sig, etc.

I guess there's always the fanny pack, but that sort of screams "I'm the hero in the room, cap my ass first!"

I don't use a fanny pack.* It's all about the right rig and the right belt. Shorts, basic button up loose silk shirt, and GTG even in hot weather.

* = personally I don't have anything against fanny packs. The only people who think they scream gun are other law abiding gun owners. The general public has no clue, and of course 99% of fanny packs have no gun in them, most pay no attention to them. Criminal types are looking for victims, not a gun fight, and few think "I bet he has a gun in that pack so I will attack him." If anything, the few criminal types who put 2+2 together on the pack will avoid confrontation with you. The ones who don't care, would seek confrontation anyway, so it don't matter. The only people who really take note of fanny packs are other legal gun owners who don't bother each other.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 08:36:03 AM »

1911 is good for the range, but not for practical use unless it is a Kimber Compact or something like that.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »
1911 is good for the range, but not for practical use unless it is a Kimber Compact or something like that.

That would be false my friend. You have to define for yourself what's practical, but I think I covered that pretty well above. Carry what you feel works for you, but there is nothing impractical per se about 1911s as already covered. I, like many others, carry one all the time.

BTW, Kimber compacts are notoriously unreliable and you could not pay me to carry one CCW.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 08:54:17 AM »
If I only had one clear shot at the torso of a bad guy, you'd better believe I'd prefer it to be the 1911 over anything else not made by Mossberg.

I'm just more comfy with the concealment, lightweight, and fmailiarity of the glock.