Author Topic: Cowboys meltdown continues...  (Read 4548 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Cowboy controversy
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 10:12:44 AM »
The Dallas-Pittsburgh game was the highest-rated TV show of the year, not just the highest-rated football game. Can you imagine the viewership for Sunday night? :o

The Cowboys’ 20-13 loss at Pittsburgh last Sunday notched a 15.6 rating/28 share. About 25.7 million Cowboys lovers or haters tuned in, making that game not only the season’s highest-rated football game but the highest-rated show of any kind on broadcast TV for the 2008-09 season.

In comparison, the No. 1 prime-time show last week was CBS’s drama “The Mentalist” with 18.7 million viewers.

Here we are in Week 15. Earlier this season, a certain scribe wrote that the 2008 Cowboys were this TV season’s best drama, calling the club’s personalities the basis for a 21st Century version of the 1980’s night-time soap “Dallas.”

The Cowboys have become the sporting world’s guilty pleasure. Which version of the team will show up? Which version of Tony Romo will show up? What version of Terrell Owens will show up?

Sunday’s game at home with the New York Giants will be on prime-time on NBC, the all “Today” show-Jay Leno network. All 114 million-plus TV viewers in the Nielsen universe can watch and pass judgment for themselves as fast as they can Twitter about the latest version of the Cowboys scheduled to appear.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
Source: T.O., Witten had to be separated
December 13, 2008, 7:50 PM ET

While the Dallas Cowboys were trying to downplay a possible rift between Terrell Owens and Jason Witten, the two nearly came to blows on Friday, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram first reported Saturday.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen, according to team sources, confirmed an incident occurred at the Cowboys training facility when Witten tried to engage Owens in a conversation about a pass route. Owens told Witten to stay away from him and called him a name. The two exchanged words before being separated.

Both players acted as if everything was fine when the media was allowed in the locker room, according to the Star-Telegram. But Owens was still upset.

The confrontation came a day after a source told ESPN that Owens believes Romo and Witten -- close friends and road roommates -- hold private meetings and create plays without including Owens.

Where the problem seems to be is players notice Witten getting more passes in practices, and players go to T.O. to talk about this and little cliques have formed. Team T.O. And Team Romo.

Blame Owner Jones. He created this mess when he promoted Jason Garrett, aka The Redheaded Genius, aka The RHG, from offensive coordinator to what amounted to coach-designate this off-season and basically cut off what little legs The Cupcake had.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips held a team meeting on Friday to clear the air about the report. Afterward, he said any personality conflicts had been resolved.

"Everything is set straight as far as I'm concerned," he told The Associated Press. "I think the players, too. We'll see."

body88

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »
That's the view of someone with absolutely no objectivity. First of all the Dolphins were a better version of the Giants team that beat NE, so obviously it would be close to begin with. Secondly the rules then were a little different, not as easy to throw the ball through most of the 70s.

No way to know what would have happened, other than to guess it would have been close, could go either way like last year's SB.

NE last year reminded me of the 49ers when they tried for their 3rd straight SB; they became a little too one-dimensional, too much reliance on passing.

You have your opinion and I have mine.  Imo, the 07 pats would drop about 50 points on the 72 phins.  The 72 phins schedule was vey easy, and they didn't play in a salery cap era.  Much harder to do what the pats did now.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 06:29:19 PM »
You have your opinion and I have mine.  Imo, the 07 pats would drop about 50 points on the 72 phins.  The 72 phins schedule was vey easy, and they didn't play in a salery cap era.  Much harder to do what the pats did now.

Since they didn't drop anywhere near 50 on the Giants, who were not as good as the Dolphins but played in many ways a similar game, your odds are extrmely low on being correct.

All that stuff about easier schedule and salary cap's irrelevant. Plus i could make counter-arguments, such as the very true one that hasn't crossed you mind to the effect that all sports including the NFL have suffered huge dilution in talent since the 70s. The 70s were the NFL's golden era for good reason, there were more good teams. The best ever team to lose a SB was the 70s Cowboys because of the competition.

body88

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »
Since they didn't drop anywhere near 50 on the Giants, who were not as good as the Dolphins but played in many ways a similar game, your odds are extrmely low on being correct.

Again, your opionion not fact.  As you said, it was a different era and impossible to compare if a team from the 70's is better.  The pats WON the first meeting with the Giants, they lost the second by a freak play.  Not like it wasen't very close.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »

Again, your opionion not fact.  As you said, it was a different era and impossible to compare if a team from the 70's is better.  The pats WON the first meeting with the Giants, they lost the second by a freak play.  Not like it wasen't very close.

You have no objectivity. You're making assumptions from guesses.

All the astute fan can say is that it would a great game and probably close. If they didn't "drop 52" on the giants it's very unlikely they would on the dolphins.

body88

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 07:52:28 PM »
You have no objectivity. You're making assumptions from guesses.

All the astute fan can say is that it would a great game and probably close. If they didn't "drop 52" on the giants it's very unlikely they would on the dolphins.

Fasle, I am stating my opinion and I use stats to base that opinion.  If you don't agree, thats fine by me. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
Re: Cowboy saga continues the eve of their biggest game
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 07:54:34 PM »
Near-meltdown from our very partial homer. Resorting to stats is pathetic.

I'll bet you never even saw the Dolphins play, yet you're silly enough to claim they'd drop 52 on em when they struggled big-time to score points against the giants LOL insane.

body88

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »
Near-meltdown from our very partial homer. Resorting to stats is pathetic.

I'll bet you never even saw the Dolphins play, yet you're silly enough to claim they'd drop 52 on em when they struggled big-time to score points against the giants LOL insane.

The Patriots where an offensive Juggernaut, who scored more points than any other team in NFL history.  Tom Brady threw 50 freaking td's to 4 ints, lol!  The running game was more complete than you make it seem, and the stats prove all that.  They did it when players are much bigger, stronger and faster.  They did it with a salary cap, and a longer season.  They are not a warm weather team, and the game has progressed x1000 times since the 70's.  The pats drop 50 on the 72 phins, no problem.  You are using one game as a measuring stick, which proves you are not a true fan of the game.  The pats AVERAGED  30+ ppg over 16 regular season games.  I'll take a sample size of 16 games over one. Btw, in their first meeting the pats scored 38 on the Giants.  If the Giants are better than the 72 phins, why is 50 points so hard to swallow.

Your saying that the Giants are better than the 72 phins, but calling me a homer for saying the Patriots would mash the 72 phins.  As usual if someone does not see it your way, you pull your hissy fit.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 09:03:43 PM »
blah blah blah. Offensive juggernaut that F--- up in the SB!

body88

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 09:04:36 PM »
blah blah blah. Offensive juggernaut that F--- up in the SB!

That's true, but that is not what we are talking about.  You are clearly not capable of looking at my above post and reading it like an adult.  Forget it, think what you want  :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2008, 09:05:45 PM »
Your posts are too long and boring. Stick to the point, you have NO friggin idea in reality that they could put up 52 on the dolphins when they FU in the SB!

body88

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 09:12:03 PM »
Your posts are too long and boring. Stick to the point, you have NO friggin idea in reality that they could put up 52 on the dolphins when they FU in the SB!

Let me come at you from a different angle then.  If the pats where able to score 38 points on the Giants in their first meeting, and the Giants are better than the 72 phins, why is it so crazy to think the best offensive team in the history of the sport could score an added td and two fg's vs the phins?  Take into account the progression of the sport.  Guys are far better athletes now.  You scoff at those who claim Arnie could beat Ronnie. Why is that?  Is it because the sport has progressed so much that Coleman had over 60 lbs of lean mass on Arnie in better shape. 

The truth is the phins where a damn good team, but they played a very easy schedule and there was no salery cap.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2008, 09:49:38 PM »
Terrell Owens and Jason Witten got in a verbal argument after Witten tried to engage Owens during practice.  Owens told him to get away and called him a name."    After teammates separated the two, Owens also announced that Witten was no longer invited to his birthday party, and then removed him from his list of friends on Facebook.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »
why is it so crazy to think the best offensive team in the history of the sport could score an added td and two fg's vs the phins?  Take into account the progression of the sport.  Guys are far better athletes now.  You scoff at those who claim Arnie could beat Ronnie. Why is that?  Is it because the sport has progressed so much that Coleman had over 60 lbs of lean mass on Arnie in better shape. 

Because they didn't get it done in terms of scoring when it counted.

As far as "progression" the guys are a little bigger and faster but in fact the better TEAMS overall in football, basketball and hockey were in the 70s and 80s, in large part but not entirely because there was minimal dilution of talent that exist now. The two best all-time NFL teams were the Steelers and 49ers, not recent teams. The pros and cons of new vs old teams isn't as clear-cut to you, without the perspective of earlier eras.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2008, 09:53:49 PM »
Terrell Owens and Jason Witten got in a verbal argument after Witten tried to engage Owens during practice.  Owens told him to get away and called him a name."  Called him a name?  Seriously?  After teammates separated the two, Owens also announced that Witten was no longer invited to his birthday party, and then removed him from his list of friends on Facebook.

Are you kidding me? I have a 7 year old Niece that is more mature than that jackass. That is like a kid saying you cannot come to my party because the other kid has better toys then the other kid...removed him from Face book..Good God.
D

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: Cowboy meltdown the eve of their biggest game
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Ima leave yall with something I found then im out. see yall on game day.

I thought some of you might be interested to hear the truth regarding the alleged "T.O. controversy."

Those who I talked to close to the situation are in absolute shock right now over the direction ESPN has taken the past few days. What you are seeing now is a carefully conceived ploy being executed to boost ratings for the 2009 fiscal year, which is vital as the network hopes to build new advertising revenue.

While it would be easy to blame the reporters for this yellow journalism, they're only the tip of the iceberg. The reality is that ESPN executes have melted down and gone into panic mode regarding the current state of their network.

For those of you worried about the state of the Dallas Cowboys football team, perhaps you should take whatever you're envisioning now (which isn't at all accurate), quintouple it, and that's what ESPN meetings are like right now.

The ploy, as I was told, was designed to create a self-fulfilling prophecy in Dallas as a result of paranoia amongst players (chiefly Terrell Owens, Tony Romo, and Jason Witten). Those who hatched the plan believed that the faux-quotes would be enough to cast a sense of doubt over members of the Cowboys locker room, resulting in tension and, eventually, an actual blowup that would justify ESPN's outrageous coverage based on unnamed sources.

But it didn't work. Much to the chagrin of the powers that be at ESPN, the Cowboys players put their heads together and quickly figured out exactly what was going on. Ed Werder himself was actually present at the team meeting and was the one who reported to the higher ups that there was something impeding the plan.

The constant changes to the very article Werder reported are ESPN's attempts to adjust to Dallas having caught on.

My sources have each responded to the numerous things that have been stated by ESPN and other members through ESPN sourcing pertaining to the matter:

It was reported that Owens, Romo, and Witten have a strained relationship. While the details of their relationship are not factually known, there has been no team source to report any such strain. What in fact transpired was the following: A behind-the-scenes writer noted via text message that he noticed numerous plays in which Owens failed to block for Witten after he caught the ball against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The person on the other end of the conversation pitched the Owens/Witten angle to a story editor later that afternoon and it found its way to the higherups. The rest is history.

It was reported that Owens and Witten had a war of words today and got into a scuffle. This is untrue. This report is complete fiction in a desperation attempt to cause further distractions to the Cowboys. As you can imagine, the Cowboys, already having a firm grasp of what took place before, understood fully the intentions of this report.

It was reported that Owens, Patrick Crayton, and Roy Williams asked for a meeting with offensive coordiator Jason Garret. This is, in fact, true. However, what may be of interest to some of you is that the three receivers have spoken privately with Garrett several times this season.

Many people are wondering how Bradie James had his quote included with all of the quotes from unnamed sources. James was asked to explain how important communication is for a team leader. While answering the question, a reporter (not Ed Werder) asked if Tony Romo and Terrell Owens do a lot of communicating, to which James responded with his quote.

James never stated that he "played peacemaker" between Romo and Owens, but rather than he stayed out of their way and let them has things out when they disagreed on something (the context of these comments pertained to on the field disagreements).

So I hope that helps clear some things up for everyone. I know it's been a crazy week for Cowboys fans, but the reality is that this crazyness is smoke and mirrors; and it's sure to blow up in ESPN's face.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: Cowboy meltdown the eve of their biggest game
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2008, 11:10:44 PM »
this is giving the 'boys way  too much fuel. It has to stop.

pumpster

• Getbig V
Re: Cowboys meltdown continues...
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »
LAST GAME at Texas Stadium tonight an EMBARASSING loss for the OVERHYPED BOYS..
hahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahaha
hahahaahahahahaahahahaha hahahahahahaahahahaahaha hahahahaahahahahahaahaha hahahahahaahahahahahahah aahahahahahahahahahaahah ahahahahaahahahahahaha
hahahaahahahahaahahahaha hahahahahahaahahahaahaha hahahahaahahahahahaahaha hahahahahaahahahahahahah aahahahahahahahahahaahah ahahahahaahahahahahaha

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
Well, this does somewhat help me out as a Lions fan.
D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2008, 09:11:56 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahaha

these gay ass niggas suck. hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ken Hamlin is a homo....he used to do all that hittin..he gave up 2 touchdowns......they ran 2 touchdowns on his punk ass..got fuckin mushed..

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »
hahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

the best team not to make the playoffs ever..These fags didnt make the fuckin playoffs...they suck

GETBIG EXPERTS: "COWBOYS HAVE SOME OF THE BEST TALENT" BWHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

IRVING — It took 37-plus seasons for Texas Stadium to wear down and finally wear out. The current edition of the Cowboys managed to do it in one night.

Saturday’s last call for football in the Irving river bottoms also signaled, almost definitely, the end of something else. Meaning this season, and all the early over-blown hype associated with it.

Speaking of bye-bye, also please include the brief local coaching career of Wade Phillips, unless he can somehow blame the evening’s sudden defensive collapse on his thrown-under-the-bus friend, Brian Stewart.

Mr. Fix It obviously bragged too soon on his defensive expertise, and is now in a firing fix after a frantic Cowboys rally by Tony Romo was scuttled on — this is impossible — back to back touchdown runs of 77 and 82 yards late in the fourth quarter.

Then again, Jerry Jones is the dumbest general manager in the history of football, and there he was, postgame on Saturday, proclaiming he has no plans, no matter what, to fire Wade. See, it’s real hard to find good puppets these days.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »
Because they didn't get it done in terms of scoring when it counted.

As far as "progression" the guys are a little bigger and faster but in fact the better TEAMS overall in football, basketball and hockey were in the 70s and 80s, in large part but not entirely because there was minimal dilution of talent that exist now. The two best all-time NFL teams were the Steelers and 49ers, not recent teams. The pros and cons of new vs old teams isn't as clear-cut to you, without the perspective of earlier eras.

Face the facts...The Patriots were the best team in the league last year even without winning the SuperBowl. The Giants got lucky with that once in a lifetime catch by David Tyree and the missed INT by Asante Samuel. The Giants weren't the better team last year, maybe one game but not last season as a whole. What the Patriots did last year was AMAZING. I think maybe if they had lost one or two games in the regular season, a differen't team might have shown up in the Super Bowl. But who knows.

Also I'd put the mid 90's Cowboys and the last couple of Patriot teams against ANY team of ANY era.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2008, 12:25:12 AM »
The Giants got lucky with that once in a lifetime catch by David Tyree and the missed INT by Asante Samuel. The Giants weren't the better team last year, maybe one game but not last season as a whole. What the Patriots did last year was AMAZING

hahaha this must be "body"s gimmick now the giants were "lucky' you are befuddled.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2008, 06:41:08 AM »
Face the facts...The Patriots were the best team in the league last year even without winning the SuperBowl. The Giants got lucky with that once in a lifetime catch by David Tyree and the missed INT by Asante Samuel. The Giants weren't the better team last year, maybe one game but not last season as a whole. What the Patriots did last year was AMAZING. I think maybe if they had lost one or two games in the regular season, a differen't team might have shown up in the Super Bowl. But who knows.

Also I'd put the mid 90's Cowboys and the last couple of Patriot teams against ANY team of ANY era.
you can look back at any game and take a play or series of plays and say they got lucky here but thats part of football and thats why they play the games b/c shit like this happens how many drops did dallas have last night? how many bad passes did dallas have last night? that doesnt mean that the ravens where lucky they outplayed dallas no matter what was going on in the locker room or who was hurt dallas got outplayed.