Author Topic: parallel squats vs ass to the calves squats, which is better  (Read 12774 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
Re: parallel squats vs ass to the calves squats, which is better
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 01:19:17 AM »
go as far down as u comfortably can, then come back up! its all about doing this as part of your lifestyle. Your no good if your squatting ass to grass, get injured and can never squat again.

its much better to squat with perfect form ( however that might be for your body ) then trying to do something u cant physically do just because someone on an internet message board told u to.

this is good advice. it feels a lot more  comfortable for me going to parallel than with my ass to my calves. maybe this is because im tall?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 08:44:56 AM »
There have been many white papers about stopping at parallel and reversing directions when squating. Other research that say going any lower than parallel is a danger. A case can be said for both studies. Though when helping people with squating, I have them go a few inches below the parallel line. I believe that stopping at the  parallel point (or just above) is something that should be avoided. Just my view, that's all. This goes for sets of 2's or 20 reps.

Olympic lifters come to mind. Doing 400-500 squat cleans, ass almost touching the platform, is very impressive. These are front squats (with heels raises for better balance), with focus more on the front quads, and the knees, than regular back squat. Front squats are very hard to recover from when in that extra deep position after the clean.  But, for the most part, the knees seem to handle that extra stress well.

Let's face it, a lot of men just do not have the confidence to bottom out when doing regular squats. Or they were never taught the correct way to squat, which can give greater stress on the lower back. Back pain from squating can be caused by poor form/weight shift and balance. Combine this with too much weight on the bar (you might think you know how to squat...but maybe not as well as you believe ) can lead to trouble. Good Luck.
F

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »
for developing massive quads, I don't want a round ass though; is it just as good or even better if I go parallel?

Squat ass to calves but make sure the bar is high up, not low on the back.

Regular/Regular narrow stance.

Keep the back erect during the whole lift.

That way you will use your quads more, and the ass and hips less.

Make sure to stretch plenty in the hip area before and after training.
As empty as paradise

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 05:14:20 PM »
Squat ass to calves but make sure the bar is high up, not low on the back.

Regular/Regular narrow stance.

Keep the back erect during the whole lift.

That way you will use your quads more, and the ass and hips less.

Make sure to stretch plenty in the hip area before and after training.

That is bad ass right there. 

:)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 02:38:14 AM »
Anything above slightly below paralell is for wimps.

At least break parallell or you ain`t really doing a squat.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 03:57:49 AM »
Ass to heels for me every time - I gave up doing parallel squats about ten years ago becuase a) my legs weren't growing, and b) my knees were getting seriously fucked up.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »
I HAVE tried going parelell or below and i always hurt my lower back......SO i stay just above paralell
I get a VERY good pump throughout my quads and im still adding weight so i figure im doing SOMETHING right.

That video ( OH MY GOD )  GREAT stuff man

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
if, IF, you are one of the extremely rare fools who must squat above parallel, then the key is to not go heavy. your knees will blow up if you try to do heavy reps and drop all the weight on your knees. i heavily advise against it for two reasons: one, the knee issue. two: it's hard to know if you're going deep enough as opposed to just going far down as you can.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »
I see so many kids at my gym getting ready to squat 4-5 plates in the Smith Macvhine that I no longer bother watching as I know they are gonna` just do a fucking curtsy with the weight.

I doubt if they could get one rep atg with 185.............seriousl y.

J Grey

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »
I see so many kids at my gym getting ready to squat 4-5 plates in the Smith Macvhine that I no longer bother watching as I know they are gonna` just do a fucking curtsy with the weight.

I doubt if they could get one rep atg with 185.............seriousl y.

qft

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »
a bit ago a kid in the gym was doing curtsy squats with 295, so i told him outright to do some box squats because he's lifting for sports and partials are just going to lead to injury.

we put 185 on the bar 'cause he figures it'd be an easy warmup, using a bench that wasn't especially low, and he almost shit himself. needed help on the first rep. super humbling. but i think he's going to be sticking with it and moving some real weight soon. :D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
ATC

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »
Not only is it easier on the knees but I find it easier to get back up if I go ATG.  Even with box squats I would work below parallel.  Most people don't squat so they don't worry about this issue. 
Squishy face retard

jorgen

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2008, 02:23:36 PM »
Squatting ATG is not doable for everyone in my opinion.  If you can do it and keep your lumbar spine straight then you probably should.  you will still get a tremendous amount of good from squats if you get around parallel and progress with your weights.  If you are getting bad type of pain from doing squats then you really need to assess your form.

I completely agree that people only moving the bar a few inches is simply nonsense really.  There is a huge difference from doing that versus getting to or close to parallel..

WillRiker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 12:10:48 PM »
Squatting ATG is not doable for everyone in my opinion.  If you can do it and keep your lumbar spine straight then you probably should.  you will still get a tremendous amount of good from squats if you get around parallel and progress with your weights.  If you are getting bad type of pain from doing squats then you really need to assess your form.

I completely agree that people only moving the bar a few inches is simply nonsense really.  There is a huge difference from doing that versus getting to or close to parallel..

Totally agree with the above. Those atg purist maybe should realize that not everybody is made for squatting really deep.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 12:30:59 PM »
youve got to be pretty flexable to go super deep,, you want to squat as low as u can without your lower back rounding, if thats just below parallel or rock bottom, so be it!