Author Topic: I don`t forsee much Hope for AMERICA in the future. Here is why:........  (Read 15968 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=982

More Americans Believe in the Devil, Hell and Angels than in Darwin’s Theory of Evolution
Nearly 25% of Americans Believe They Were Once another Person

ROCHESTER, N.Y. – December 10, 2008 – That very large majorities of the American public believe in God, miracles, the survival of the soul after death, the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the Virgin birth will come as no great surprise. What may be more surprising is that substantial minorities believe in ghosts, UFOs, witches, astrology, and the belief that they themselves were once other people. Overall, more people believe in the devil, hell and angels than believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution.

These are some of the results of The Harris Poll®, a new nationwide survey of 2,126 U.S. adults surveyed online between November 10 and 17, 2008 by Harris Interactive®.

Some of the interesting findings in this new Harris Poll include:

80% of adult Americans believe in God – unchanged since the last time we asked the question in 2005. Large majorities of the public believe in miracles (75%), heaven (73%), angels (71%), that Jesus is God or the Son of God (71%), the resurrection of Jesus (70%), the survival of the soul after death (68%), hell (62%), the Virgin birth (Jesus born of Mary (61%) and the devil (59%).
Slightly more people – but both are minorities – believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution (47%) than in creationism (40%).
Sizeable minorities believe in ghosts (44%), UFOs (36%), witches (31%), astrology (31%), and reincarnation (24%).
Differences between Catholics and Protestants

There are no significant differences between the large percentages of Catholics and Protestants who believe in God, miracles, heaven and hell, that Jesus is the Son of God, angels, the resurrection of Jesus, the survival of the soul after death, the Virgin birth and the devil.

However, Catholics are more likely than Protestants to believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution (by 52% to 32%), ghosts (by 57% to 41%), UFOs (by 43% to 31%), and astrology (by 40% to 28%). Protestants are slightly more likely than Catholics to believe in creationism (by 54% to 46%).

Which Religious Texts Are the "Word of God"

Slender majorities of all adults believe that all or most of the Old Testament (55%) and the New Testament (54%) are the "Word of God." However, only about a third of all adults (37% and 36%) believe that all of these texts are the word of God.

Interestingly, only 26% of all adults believe that the Torah is the word of God, even though it is the same as the first five books of the Old Testament. Presumably many people do not know this.

Religiosity and Religious Practice

Less than a quarter of Americans describe themselves are "very religious." However, a large majority (68%) describe themselves as either very (23%) or somewhat (45%) religious.

A quarter (27%) of adult Americans claim that they attend church once a week or more often, compared with 36% who say they attend less than once a year or never (18% each).

A Note on the Methodology Used and How It Affects the Results

Other research has shown that when replying to a question administered impersonally by a computer, people are less likely to say they believe in God, or attend Church services when they really don’t. It is generally believed that surveys conducted by live interviewers tend to exaggerate the numbers of people who report the socially desirable, or less embarrassing, behavior, and that the replies given to an online survey such as this, are more honest and therefore more accurate.

Methodology

This Harris Poll® was conducted online within the United States between November 10 and 17, 2008 among 2,126 adults (aged 18 and over). Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online.

All sample surveys and polls, whether or not they use probability sampling, are subject to multiple sources of error which are most often not possible to quantify or estimate, including sampling error, coverage error, error associated with nonresponse, error associated with question wording and response options, and post-survey weighting and adjustments. Therefore, Harris Interactive avoids the words "margin of error" as they are misleading. All that can be calculated are different possible sampling errors with different probabilities for pure, unweighted, random samples with 100% response rates. These are only theoretical because no published polls come close to this ideal.

Respondents for this survey were selected from among those who have agreed to participate in Harris Interactive surveys. The data have been weighted to reflect the composition of the adult population. Because the sample is based on those who agreed to participate in the Harris Interactive panel, no estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.

These statements conform to the principles of disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: I don`t forsee much Hope for AMERICA in the future. Here is why:........
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
Religion induce meltdown.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 04:08:52 PM »

Click this for the other neat graphs in this survey.  They are quite shocking.  Dismal if you are expecting an "intelligent" electorate however.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
i find those results hard to believe
Valhalla awaits.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »
TA, whats your occupation?

bigguns23

• Getbig IV

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 04:13:47 PM »
i find those results hard to believe
Thaose stats came from the internet for god's sake. They're the real deal
U

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 04:14:20 PM »
Provocateur Extraordinaire.  It has its own self-contained benefits.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »
Provocateur Extraordinaire.  It has its own self-contained benefits.
I thought you were an insurance adjuster?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
he is Johnny Falcons right hand man
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 04:17:45 PM »
Thaose stats came from the internet for god's sake. They're the real deal
Are you angry because you fall into several of those "believer" categories or do you just not know what a Harris Poll is or what requirements the National Council on Public Polls sets to qualify as being scientific. Or is it all of the above?

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 04:19:41 PM »
...ain't that some shit?

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »

HE'S AN INSURANCE ADJUSTER "YOU KNOW TAKE AN 12HRS CLASS AND BOOM YOU GET A LICENSE" , HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE REAL MONEY LIKE UNDERWRITING INSURANCE POLICIES OR DOING PERFORMANCE BONDS ;D

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »
After Obama gets in office the results of this poll will change drastically for the better.

CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!!!
Valhalla awaits.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 04:26:58 PM »
After Obama gets in office the results of this poll will change drastically for the better.

CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!!!

DON'T GET BRAIN WASHED, I DOUBT IT'S A REPUTABLE SOURCE :-\

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 04:39:55 PM »
Are you angry because you fall into several of those "believer" categories or do you just not know what a Harris Poll is or what requirements the National Council on Public Polls sets to qualify as being scientific. Or is it all of the above?
Not angry at all. I am none of the above. I did pay attention in undergrad stats enough to undertand that a sample size of not even 2200 peope is hardly representative of "most Americans."
U

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

More Americans Believe in the Devil, Hell and Angels than in Darwin’s Theory of Evolution

ROCHESTER, N.Y. – December 10, 2008 – That very large majorities of the American public believe in God, miracles, the survival of the soul after death, the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the Virgin birth will come as no great surprise. What may be more surprising is that substantial minorities believe in ghosts, UFOs, witches, astrology, and the belief that they themselves were once other people. Overall, more people believe in the devil, hell and angels than believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution.

These are some of the results of The Harris Poll®, a new nationwide survey of 2,126 U.S. adults surveyed online between November 10 and 17, 2008 by Harris Interactive®.

80% of adult Americans believe in God – unchanged since the last time we asked the question in 2005. Large majorities of the public believe in miracles (75%), heaven (73%), angels (71%), that Jesus is God or the Son of God (71%), the resurrection of Jesus (70%), the survival of the soul after death (68%), hell (62%), the Virgin birth (Jesus born of Mary (61%) and the devil (59%).
Slightly more people – but both are minorities – believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution (47%) than in creationism (40%).
Sizeable minorities believe in ghosts (44%), UFOs (36%), witches (31%), astrology (31%), and reincarnation (24%).

There are no significant differences between the large percentages of Catholics and Protestants who believe in God, miracles, heaven and hell, that Jesus is the Son of God, angels, the resurrection of Jesus, the survival of the soul after death, the Virgin birth and the devil.

However, Catholics are more likely than Protestants to believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution (by 52% to 32%), ghosts (by 57% to 41%), UFOs (by 43% to 31%), and astrology (by 40% to 28%). Protestants are slightly more likely than Catholics to believe in creationism (by 54% to 46%).

Slender majorities of all adults believe that all or most of the Old Testament (55%) and the New Testament (54%) are the "Word of God." However, only about a third of all adults (37% and 36%) believe that all of these texts are the word of God.

Interestingly, only 26% of all adults believe that the Torah is the word of God, even though it is the same as the first five books of the Old Testament. Presumably many people do not know this.

Less than a quarter of Americans describe themselves are "very religious." However, a large majority (68%) describe themselves as either very (23%) or somewhat (45%) religious.

A quarter (27%) of adult Americans claim that they attend church once a week or more often, compared with 36% who say they attend less than once a year or never (18% each).

Other research has shown that when replying to a question administered impersonally by a computer, people are less likely to say they believe in God, or attend Church services when they really don’t. It is generally believed that surveys conducted by live interviewers tend to exaggerate the numbers of people who report the socially desirable, or less embarrassing, behavior, and that the replies given to an online survey such as this, are more honest and therefore more accurate.

Methodology

This Harris Poll® was conducted online within the United States between November 10 and 17, 2008 among 2,126 adults (aged 18 and over). Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online.

All sample surveys and polls, whether or not they use probability sampling, are subject to multiple sources of error which are most often not possible to quantify or estimate, including sampling error, coverage error, error associated with nonresponse, error associated with question wording and response options, and post-survey weighting and adjustments. Therefore, Harris Interactive avoids the words "margin of error" as they are misleading. All that can be calculated are different possible sampling errors with different probabilities for pure, unweighted, random samples with 100% response rates. These are only theoretical because no published polls come close to this ideal.

Respondents for this survey were selected from among those who have agreed to participate in Harris Interactive surveys. The data have been weighted to reflect the composition of the adult population. Because the sample is based on those who agreed to participate in the Harris Interactive panel, no estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.

These statements conform to the principles of disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.

scary stuff honestly.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
Good stuff, TA.... You always have a way of putting things in perspective.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
Not surprising considering most Americans can't even locate Iraq on a globe.

Most of these morons that believe in that shit think they're keeping this country strong for years to come when they're actually helping to sink it.

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 07:22:55 PM »

Methodology

Thank GOD for the Adonis Principles to keep us from evil!

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »
Everytime I start to think about the theory of Evolution and us humans, I wonder where the fuck did our chimp strength go? And why would we lose it so fast?...

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 08:20:56 PM »
scary stuff honestly.

Yep.... :-\

Not surprising considering most Americans can't even locate Iraq on a globe.

Most of these morons that believe in that shit think they're keeping this country strong for years to come when they're actually helping to sink it.

Iraq? Are you kidding me? Some can't even find their own state capital....
HAHA, RON.....

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 08:29:26 PM »
Yep.... :-\

Iraq? Are you kidding me? Some can't even find their own state capital....

Probably true...But I would also guess that some of the scientist's that worked on the nuke program through history also couldn't do simple feats :-\

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 10:22:26 PM »

Methodology

Didn't read any of this crap but is there anyway you may move to another country (please).  Hopefully all the shit you cut & paste will convince you to move elsewhere. 

The Coach

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 10:28:48 PM »
Anyone who bash's religion and God and tries to argue there is no God as much as TA is just trying to make an arguement for being in denial of His existance. He wants to believe there is no God, but in reality knows the universe just didn't "happen".