Author Topic: Russian warships bound for Cuba in new show of strength  (Read 984 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Russian warships bound for Cuba in new show of strength
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »
 :-\

A group of Russian warships will from December 19-23 visit the Communist island of Cuba, a long-time adversary of the United States and Moscow's ally in the Cold War, the Russian navy said on Monday.
"This will be the first visit to Cuba by Russian warships since the Soviet era," the Russian naval headquarters said in a statement.

The destroyer Admiral Chabanenko and two other ships will visit Havana in what the navy described as a "significant practical step towards strengthening and developing ties between the two states' navies."

Russian ships have been touring countries close to US waters in what is seen as a riposte to Washington's own moves in Russia's Soviet-era sphere of influence, including US naval deployments in the Black Sea.

Last month President Dmitry Medvedev visited Cuba on a four-country Latin American tour intended to revive what he called "privileged relations" that existed between Moscow and several Latin American states in the Cold War.

The Russian moves in Central and Latin America follow heightened tensions over this summer's Russian military onslaught in Georgia, a close US ally in the Caucasus.

The navy also announced the completion of a visit to Nicaragua, during which it delivered aid to the Central American country led by leftist President Daniel Ortega.

Ortega is due to visit Moscow this week.

"The Russian naval command believes visits by Russian ships to Venezuela, Panama and Nicaragua signify long-term prospects for developing cooperation among these countries' naval forces in the interest of developing stability and trust on the world's oceans," the navy said.

During the Cuba visit, residents will be welcomed aboard the Russian ships and Russian officers will lay flowers at a memorial to Cuban campaigner for independence and critic of US expansionism Jose Marti, the navy said.

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Russian warships bound for Cuba in new show of strength
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:22:54 AM »
Obama's weakness is inviting an attack.

Impeach Obama!

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:04:44 AM »
Whatever.  It's all bluff and bluster.  "Show of strength" my ass.

However, the timing is clearly no coincidence and it will be interesting to see if/how Obama responds.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 08:07:11 AM »
Whatever.  It's all bluff and bluster.  "Show of strength" my ass.

Still, the idea of Russian warships 90 miles from my house is quite disturbing lol....

Eventually, at some point in time, US and some other superpower are going to duke it out.  I hope it's 100 or 200 or 300 years from now (or never).   But every time they 'bluff and bluster' it invites the chance for some skirmish to happen :(

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:26:31 AM »
Still, the idea of Russian warships 90 miles from my house is quite disturbing lol....

Eventually, at some point in time, US and some other superpower are going to duke it out.  I hope it's 100 or 200 or 300 years from now (or never).   But every time they 'bluff and bluster' it invites the chance for some skirmish to happen :(

Whatever, the US Navy would royally FUCK UP the Russians.

Russias navy is a joke.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »

Russias navy is a joke.

No doubt.   It's the political issues that are the concern here. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
Russias navy is a joke.

Okay, so our navy is bigger and better.  Is anyone disputing that?  no.

They wouldn't matter much to those of us in SW Fl who would have a really shitty day should either side decide to have a dick measuring contest.

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
Begin program: Cuban Missile Crisis 2.0

A young president bieng tested by an agressive russia? Sounds familar.

Only this time Russia is bolstering not just cuba, but Iran and Venezuela as well.

I wonder if Obama will have the stones that JFK did. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 10:24:29 AM »
I wonder if Obama will have the stones that JFK did. 

Didn't JFK pull our missiles out of Turkey 6 months later under secret agreement for them leaving Cuba?

Didn't he actually 'blink' privately, but was allowed to save face publicly?

Or, wait... did we just *decide* to give up that valuable launching location 6 months later because, um, we don't like having that strike capability over USSR?

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »
I am not as familar with all of the details as I should be, but we came closer to War with Russia than we ever have. In the end, a deal was reached and they pulled out of Cuba. The deal was secret which partially contributed to Kruchev (sp) downfall from power in russia.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »
I am not as familar with all of the details as I should be, but we came closer to War with Russia than we ever have. In the end, a deal was reached and they pulled out of Cuba. The deal was secret which partially contributed to Kruchev (sp) downfall from power in russia.

Both sides claimed victory.  however, we both backed down. They left cuba and we then left turkey.  We said it was because the base was old and outdated, but most in the world saw this as giving up a prime launching spot on Russia.  We got to save face, and USSR got what they wanted - we got our missiles out of their backyard.

Right now, they're pissed about that missile shield and treaty in Europe, so we're seeing it all over again.  Obama will probably take office, sign the treaty, and they'll leave.  The more things change...