Author Topic: a gram of protein per pound of body weight? i dont think so...  (Read 41323 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
Re: a gram of protein per pound of body weight? i dont think so...
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:56 AM »
I would have to agree with you. People tend to make it way more complex then it has to be. I used to be like that eating 2-3 hours & getting 300+ grams of protein a day. & in all honesty I felt like shit. I was always bloated & just felt off. About two years or so ago I revamped my diet. I eat between 150-200 grams of protein a day & usually three larger meals & two "snacks" (usually at work) & I've felt better. But that's just me...people need to not be afraid to experiment a little on themselves & just do what feels right not what some study says.

right on.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:18 AM »
I currently weigh around 230lbs (lean) and I'm taking in exactly 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, which is 345 grams a day. I'm not gaining weight to build mass at the moment - I've been this weight for a while now - I probably just need to increase my carb intake which is also roughly 350 grams a day.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2008, 09:35:42 AM »
he recommends 2 grams per pound of bodyweight, and eats 500 grams atleast everyday
how do you explain guys who get about 130 grams of protein but are jacked?
he's a classic case of a protein pusher.

Key word: "recommends"

1 gram per pound of bodyweight is a starting point, a point of reference. Start with that and adjust your protein intake (up or down) as necessary.

Furthermore, if YOU ARE NOT one of those guys who gets 130 grams of protein but are jacked, quit worrying about those who are. You'd be better served with getting the appropriate amount of protein that YOU need. If it's 130, so be it; if it's 230, then up your intake accordingly and gauge the result you glean as a marker of success or failure.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2008, 10:57:55 AM »
you know, with your "you gotta eat at least 4 meals a day" and "you gotta consume 354849526 grams of protein to be healthy" bullshit, its really apparent that you grossly underestimate the efficiency of the human body.

If that were the case, you would NOT be complaining about consuming more than 215 grams of protein per day (1 gram per pound of his current bodyweight).

You'd be growing and getting stronger, consuming three meals with about 72 grams of protein each, not worrying about your kidneys or the fact that you're a "natty".

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2008, 11:57:08 AM »
If that were the case, you would NOT be complaining about consuming more than 215 grams of protein per day (1 gram per pound of his current bodyweight).

You'd be growing and getting stronger, consuming three meals with about 72 grams of protein each, not worrying about your kidneys or the fact that you're a "natty".

no efficiency meaning you dont have to consume that much and still be able to maintain full growth potential. surpluses are for the red cross to take of, not your kidneys.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2008, 12:02:36 PM »
no efficiency meaning you dont have to consume that much and still be able to maintain full growth potential. surpluses are for the red cross to take of, not your kidneys.
How about you eat your 10grams of protein per day and let everyone else do what they normally do?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2008, 12:35:39 PM »

If all it takes is 215 grams of protein to get the results you seek, then eat your three 72-grams-of-protein-meals, continue your training, and press forward.

But, based on your initial complaint, my take is that YOU ARE NOT getting the results you desire by consuming that amount. Therefore, you need to make some changes. Citing efficiency and growth potential spiels ain't making you any bigger or stronger. And, it's not that hard to increase your protein intake, either by adding a couple of extra solid meals or drinking a couple of shakes.

It's something you do gradually; you don't just jump from 215 to 400 in one shot. Try consuming about 275-300 grams of protein and see how that works.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
If all it takes is 215 grams of protein to get the results you seek, then eat your three 72-grams-of-protein-meals, continue your training, and press forward.

But, based on your initial complaint, my take is that YOU ARE NOT getting the results you desire by consuming that amount. Therefore, you need to make some changes. Citing efficiency and growth potential spiels ain't making you any bigger or stronger. And, it's not that hard to increase your protein intake, either by adding a couple of extra solid meals or drinking a couple of shakes.

It's something you do gradually; you don't just jump from 215 to 400 in one shot. Try consuming about 275-300 grams of protein and see how that works.

i didnt mean anything i said to be interpreted as me being dissatisfied with my own progress.

How about you eat your 10grams of protein per day and let everyone else do what they normally do?

im not stopping anybody from doing anything.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2008, 07:36:27 PM »
i didnt mean anything i said to be interpreted as me being dissatisfied with my own progress.

Then, what's the purpose of lamenting about ingesting 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, especially when others (who are natural and have no kidney issues) have used that amount as a guideline to getting the result they wanted?

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
Then, what's the purpose of lamenting about ingesting 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, especially when others (who are natural and have no kidney issues) have used that amount as a guideline to getting the result they wanted?

because i dont think 1 gram per pound is necessary.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2008, 01:34:39 AM »
then dont eat that much

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
I wonder why people in jail get huge relatively quick without extra protein?

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2008, 06:16:13 PM »

i read the post about that topic in the gossip and opinions board...interesting stuff.

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »
Eat the amount that equals your LEAN bodyweight,then eat a bit more!!

that means one has to eat line 50 grams per day...what do you mean by LEAN? 60%+ of your body is water...solid bone and muscle mass is only about 30% or so

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2008, 08:47:44 PM »

For you, it might not be. But, for others, it may be a different story. As I said earlier, it took more than that to get me over 200 lbs. Others here have had similar experiences.

One, who says they don't get extra protein (if folks can get cigarettes and other items, I don't see how procuring protein would be that big of a problem).

Two, I'm not in jail. So it doesn't really concern me as to how prisoners get big. It seems to me that certain people know they need to increase their caloric/protein intake to get better results. But, they don't want to do the extra work to eat it. So, they'll go scouring around the place, looking for anyone who doesn't need as much protein, to justify their actions.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »

One guess would be a "back to basics" approach to training.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »
that means one has to eat line 50 grams per day...what do you mean by LEAN? 60%+ of your body is water...solid bone and muscle mass is only about 30% or so
hea meant take your total body weight and subtract your total body fat    ( total bodyweight X (100% - bodyfat%) )

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
got it

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2008, 09:38:31 AM »
One guess would be a "back to basics" approach to training.

Again, what makes anyone think that these guys aren’t getting extra protein?

Prisoners seem to have a knack of getting cigarettes, drugs, X-rated magazines, and a number of other creature comforts that can be gleaned. How hard would it be for an inmate to get a few extra steaks or a jug or two of Nitro-Tech?

Plus (as stated earlier), who cares how someone else gets by on lower protein levels, if the same doesn't apply to YOU?

If you can't grow signficantly stronger or bigger by consuming less than 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, rattling off a list of who supposedly can is utterly POINTLESS. It makes no more sense than someone who hates cardio, wailing about how Dexter Jackson (in his younger years) could get shredded without doing so.