Author Topic: Ron Paul, JR in 2012  (Read 4674 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Ron Paul, JR in 2012
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 01:13:36 PM »
Its the idea that the constitution should be interpeted in a way that reflects the current normals of the day, etc, as opposed to the original intent of the founders of the country in constructing the consitution in the first place.

Its complete garbage because the constitution is supposed to be a bulwark against an over reaching and abusive government.

If the constitution provides for amendments, doesn't that mean some sort of mind must be paid to changing the document?  Change it for what?  Times change.

In law school, we had the Doctrine of Changed Circumtsances, remember?  I thought that was pretty stupid at the time, but I was wrong.

Do times change?  Yup.  Why not have amendments that meet those demands?  We do.

What about the checks and balances of gov. power?  Those are still pristine....until Bush and the Congress ignored them for the last 8 years...yes, I mean democrats too.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
The amendment process is very difficult for good reason and leaves it up to getting 3/4 of the states, not just the whims of 9 people in black robes.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »
The constitution hase been ignored since WWII as far as wars are concerned.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 07:55:56 AM »
The amendment process is very difficult for good reason and leaves it up to getting 3/4 of the states, not just the whims of 9 people in black robes.
The judiciary says what the law is.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 08:01:55 AM »
The judiciary says what the law is.

Only as far as interpretation is concerned. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »
The constitution hase been ignored since WWII as far as wars are concerned.
I would agree with that.   The war powers resolution gives the use of unilateral force by the US the color of authority.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »
I would agree with that.   The war powers resolution gives the use of unilateral force by the US the color of authority.

Its a disgrace. The congress has completely abrogated its responsiblities under the constitution.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »
Its funny to me how the majority of people here think the gov abuses power, most politicians are greedy, gov is basically inefficient and misuses a large % of our tax dollars but many people back liberal ideas of higher taxation granted to the gov to make more decisions with our $, more gov influence and overall control and power.
Gov should provide the functions it was designed to in order to serve and protect the people, not much more.  Gov should also have the power to prevent abuses of extreme capitalism that can occur.  Seems like we just continue to fund the gov's inefficiency.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
Its funny to me how the majority of people here think the gov abuses power, most politicians are greedy, gov is basically inefficient and misuses a large % of our tax dollars but many people back liberal ideas of higher taxation granted to the gov to make more decisions with our $, more gov influence and overall control and power.
Gov should provide the functions it was designed to in order to serve and protect the people, not much more.  Gov should also have the power to prevent abuses of extreme capitalism that can occur.  Seems like we just continue to fund the gov's inefficiency.

I always say - the same government that screwed up Katrina, Medicaid, Welfare, Iraq, and the DMV is not somehow going to get a national health care system right.