Author Topic: Wrestlers then and now  (Read 138429 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Re: Wrestlers then and now
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2008, 03:17:42 AM »
I think it's sad that some of the guys in the 50's+ are still on independent shows, i:e Nasty Boys, Valentine etc etc

Not sure if it the addiction or the fact that these guys have no other skills as well as no money and it is all they can do...

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2008, 05:30:12 AM »
What a fun thread. Takes me back to my childhood.

Here's a clip of Karl's dad taking on Stan "The Lariat" Hansen with a very young Bobby Heenan outside the ring.  One of my earliest pro wrestling memories was of Hansen breaking Bruno Sammartino's neck.

Youtube won't let me embed the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbduPzPchGA

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2008, 05:45:42 AM »
This thread is classic.  Thanks Karl.

Wrestling in the 80s was the heyday IMO, after then it became too comercialized.  I imagine it was great in the 70s too but thats before my time.  Being a real wrestler, I enjoyed the guys who were shooters and did hard work matches early on.  Outside of that, Flair was the king.

rayrod

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2008, 06:27:47 AM »
How about bulldog don kent

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: December 24, 2008, 06:31:15 AM »
jimmy hart

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #205 on: December 24, 2008, 06:58:34 AM »
Haku was actually a bad ass in real life and most of the wrestlers never fucked with him.  He actually tore out Jesse Barr's eye when Jesse spit on a ditch digger in Puerto Rico.

Tony Atlas was and is still jacked

Larry Zybsyko used to work at the Zayres department store by my house

Shane Douglas used live in Rochester,PA by my house

Mick Foley went to Domenic Denucci's wrestling school which was close to Rochester

Bruiser Brody flushed all of David Von Erichs drugs in Japan before they came to his room and found him

Bruno Sammartino used to run at my grade school

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2008, 07:39:51 AM »
I love this thread.  It's funny how so many have come out of the woodwork to chime in. 

I was never much of a comic book reader as a kid, and we used to attend tons of "house shows" in the Carolina's when I was growing up.

I once saw Flair wrestle Wahoo McDaniels on the Cherokee reservation here in NC.  Talk about HEAT.  Before the match even started a guy in the crowd threw a chunk of brick at Flair, missed him and it hit the ref in the mouth.  They carried the poor guy out right beside us, he was bleeding like crazy and missing some toofers.  Ah, good times...good times...

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2008, 07:45:40 AM »
Ole Anderson

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #208 on: December 24, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »
What a fun thread. Takes me back to my childhood.

Here's a clip of Karl's dad taking on Stan "The Lariat" Hansen with a very young Bobby Heenan outside the ring.  One of my earliest pro wrestling memories was of Hansen breaking Bruno Sammartino's neck.

Youtube won't let me embed the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbduPzPchGA

There was a lot more matches of him on youtube they got taken down

Ole Anderson

Anderson was my dads boss in Georgia for a while when he was wrestling for Jim Barnett.    Ole says some stuff about my dad in his book that my dad says is not true.   I'm not sure that they like each other too much

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #209 on: December 24, 2008, 08:24:01 AM »
This guy got my dad sent home from a tour in Australia.   They hate each other with a passion.

nhwood

• Getbig II
« Reply #210 on: December 24, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »
Killer Karl Kox

Didnt he "rastle" in the old Sportatorium (sp) in Dallas?  I remeber going to those shows when I was little dude.  I grew up watching the Von Erics and Free Birds battle.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »

DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2008, 09:31:51 AM »

funny shit
DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: December 24, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
savage bein a savage haha
DAWG

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #214 on: December 24, 2008, 09:38:45 AM »
Tony Altas is a friend of mine.Tonys birth Name is Anthony White, his birth day is April 23, he is 54 years old.I know this because I try to call him every year on his birthday.Tony is a really really nice guy.He was the reason I started bodybuilding.After seeing him on TV, I alaways wanted to be built like him.Anyways I met him about 5 years ago at a convention and we keep in contact 3-4 times a year.Tony is a great guy, and really down to earth.He had the best body of any wrestler period.He won the Mr USA title twice, and several other bodybuilding contests.Tony in his prime had a 60" chest a 30" waist, and 23 1/2" arms, and bench pressed 659lbs.The only anabolics he ever took was testosterone and d-ball tabs.Imagine if he had the crap they have today, beack then.HE told me when he won the Mr USA, the first time, he only prepaired for the show for only 4 weeks.Ivan Putski the Polish power was getting ready for the show, and talked Tony into doing the show with him.So tony did the show, and won.
Tony did not, and still doesnt not like Rocky Johnson.He told me Rocky Johnson is a snake, He said, " Rocky Johnson "wouldnt have anything to do with anybody that was African American, he only had white friends and would only date white girls.He said that Rocky, and 3 other wrestlers were in Texas getting ready for a match.Rocky rented a car, and dropped Tony and the 3 other wrestlers off at the hotel rooms, and had agreed to pick them up that night for the matchs.Rocky picked up the 3 other wrestlers that were white, but didnt pick up Tony Altas.
Tony told me there was a time were Rick Martel left a car at Rocky Johnsons house, while he went home to Canada for the summer.Rocky Johnsonm sold Rick Martels car to another wrestler.Rick came back looking for his car and Rocky told him he didnt know it was.When Rick Martel found out Rocky sold his car, Rocky never did give Rick Martel the money he sold his car for.
Tony just signed with the WWE, again, but up until then he had his own wrestling organization Atlas championship Wrestling and is a personal trainer at Fitness World.He lives up in Maine and still loooks really good for being 54 years old.
There was never a wrestler who ever was as muscular, or looked as good as Tony Atlas

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #215 on: December 24, 2008, 11:15:38 AM »
jimmy hart

;D ;D  Whenever Jimmy and the WWF boys were training at Gold's Venice, Jimmy Hart would come to the front desk and say, "Fuck that shit, I'm just gonna hang out here with you guys." He would eat a few protein bars, talk to the girls and then leave when the cats were finished training.
a

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #216 on: December 24, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »

bad news brown aka allen coage was a judo champ  i've heard he punked out andre the giant after andre made a racial slur.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #217 on: December 24, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
What ever happened to that fat slob whose gimmick it was to shit his trunks and eat the turnbuckle?
you got two guys there bastian booger shit himself and george the animal steel ate the turnbuckle.
F

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: December 24, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
bad news brown aka allen coage was a judo champ  i've heard he punked out andre the giant after andre made a racial slur.

Not saying you are lying since you are just passing what you heard, but I HIGHLY doubt that story.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: December 24, 2008, 12:39:10 PM »

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2008, 12:40:07 PM »
haha, Mass, great then/now pic of Taker. haha

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2008, 12:50:12 PM »
Not saying you are lying since you are just passing what you heard, but I HIGHLY doubt that story.
x2              How do you use judo on a mountain!? I just see Andre laughing. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »

and from his football days...

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2008, 01:00:16 PM »
Mae young