Author Topic: Obama re-opens the door to science  (Read 1004 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Obama re-opens the door to science
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:23:38 AM »
David Gergen |
AC360° Contributor
CNN Senior Political Analyst

In coming months, public attention will heavily focus on the performance of Barack Obama’s economic and national security teams, but over the long haul, his new team in science and technology could do even more to shape the country’s future. They will arrive not a moment too soon.
Over the past seven plus years, many leaders in the science and technology community feel they have been in a virtual war with the Bush administration. They despaired, as one told me this weekend, that “no one was ever home” and that the Bush team was so dismissive of key scientific research that it threatened our future.
In a brief capsule, here are some of their key complaints:.

•   The President and the men around him have been so ideologically opposed to the idea of man-made global warming that they first put their heads in the sand, refusing to accept evidence and editing reports from scientists inside the government such as the EPA, sending morale down the tubes. More recently, President Bush has acknowledged that man has contributed to warming, but the U.S. continues to drag its feet in international negotiations and Bush has resisted mandatory emission standards.

•   Top scientific leaders in the administration have sometimes been silenced, including a top NASA climate scientist James Hansen and former Surgeon General Richard Carmona. A number of government scientists have resigned.

•   The President twice vetoed bills for stem cell research over the objections of many in the scientific community as well as Bill Frist, the cardio-surgeon who was a GOP leader in the Senate.

•   The President allowed funding for the National Science Foundation to go essentially flat and after sizable increases, also allowed a flattening of the budget for the National Institutes of Health.

•   The President did sign onto the competitiveness agenda proposed by a special commission of the national academies of science and engineering – and he helped to secure Congressional passage of legislation endorsing the agenda. But, stunningly, the Congress refused to fund it – and the President put up very little fight.

•   This November, the president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science publicly lambasted the administration for putting unqualified political appointees into permanent civil service jobs that make scientific policy decisions. A case in point: Todd Harding, a 30-year old with a bachelor’s degree from Kentucky’s Centre College, was named to a permanent post at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration working on space-spaced science for geostationary and meteorological data.

•   Even as some positions were filled with non-entities, the White House left vacant the post of Executive Director for the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.
Against this backdrop, it is not surprising that the scientific community began rallying to Barack Obama months ago. Periodically, Dr. Harold Varmus, now chief of Memorial Sloan Kettering, convened informal conference calls among leading scientists to provide counsel to the Obama campaign, and they also met with Obama for a morning of conversation in Pennsylvania.

This past Saturday, Obama began filling out his appointments to his science and technology team, and it is a star-studded cast, promising a sharp break with the Bush administration. Among those who will be surrounding him are a physicist who has won a Nobel Prize (Steven Chu), a physicist and top expert on global warming who will be his top science adviser in the White House (John Holdren), a chemical engineer who has won acclaim for as an environmental leader in New Jersey (Lisa Jackson), a marine biologist is a leading expert on the impact of global warming on the oceans (Jane Lubchenco),. a polymath who heads up one of the most important genome projects in the country (Eric Lander), and a biologist who won a Nobel prize in medicine (Varmus). It doesn’t get any better than that!
For at least half a century, America has been the world’s premier nation for scientific and technological research. Remaining at the cutting edge is not only important for the advancement of knowledge, but it is also critical – absolutely critical — for the creation of high-powered jobs and meeting the challenges of global warming. In his Internet address on Saturday, Obama said, “It’s time we once again put science at the top of our agenda and worked to restore America’s place as the world leader in science and technology.” He’s right – it is none too soon to call off the war and build a strong, new alliance between government and science. .

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/12/23/obama%e2%80%99s-science-team-reshaping-our-long-term-future/

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Obama re-opens the door to science
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
It's a good thing that we have competent, level-headed, adults in charge.  Putting a premium on things that make our society better makes us all better.  Obama is a 'uniter and not a divider.'

Class warfare, fear, paranoia, and arrogance will be flushed from the bowels of the Executive Office like someone administered Colon Blow.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
It's a good thing that we have competent, level-headed, adults in charge.  Putting a premium on things that make our society better makes us all better.  Obama is a 'uniter and not a divider.'

Class warfare, fear, paranoia, and arrogance will be flushed from the bowels of the Executive Office like someone administered Colon Blow.

Umm excuse me, fear and paranoia will be on the upswing once everybody starts blazing the doobage as they are an unfortunate side effect of cannabis usage.  But as for the rest...  from your mouth to the God of your choice's ears.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »
Ooops, wrong thread.  That was supposed to be in the pot decriminalization thread.  But it's funny so I'm leaving it here anyway.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
I thought that was pretty good as well.

Smoke up Johnny!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »
I hope all fundies who are opposed to stem cell research will do the honorable thing and refuse any treatments derived from such research.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
I hope all fundies who are opposed to stem cell research will do the honorable thing and refuse any treatments derived from such research.
I hope you hold yourself to the same standard and dont accept any assistance that religious ppl and their community gives as well...you seem to want to lump religion in with fundamental religion which makes you just as ignorant as the ppl you oppose.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »
I hope you hold yourself to the same standard and dont accept any assistance that religious ppl and their community gives as well...you seem to want to lump religion in with fundamental religion which makes you just as ignorant as the ppl you oppose.
When religious institutions start paying taxes like the rest of us, then they can cut loose with some righteous anger.

Until then, pipe down.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »
When religious institutions start paying taxes like the rest of us, then they can cut loose with some righteous anger.

Until then, pipe down.
yes b/c religious institutions contribute nothing to society  ::)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 02:51:41 PM »
yes b/c religious institutions contribute nothing to society  ::)
Zero tax dollars. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »

What assistance do they give me?

BTW - I didn't lump religion in with fundamentals ....that's why I said "fundies"

Most religious people are humble enough not to push their personal beliefs on society at large. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 05:17:23 PM »
What assistance do they give me?

BTW - I didn't lump religion in with fundamentals ....that's why I said "fundies"

Most religious people are humble enough not to push their personal beliefs on society at large. 
you ever recieve a favor in good will? Chances are straw that alot of those actions done in good will where done by a christian if done in the US.

If you want a more tangible example of what religious ppl do how about all the community programs that they are involved in.

Im sorry you didnt say it but your signiture certainly implies that at least you believe it do be true about christians.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
you ever recieve a favor in good will? Chances are straw that alot of those actions done in good will where done by a christian if done in the US.

If you want a more tangible example of what religious ppl do how about all the community programs that they are involved in.

Im sorry you didnt say it but your signiture certainly implies that at least you believe it do be true about christians.

That quote in my signature is from the very reverend Jerry Falwell.

I have no problem with religious people and even fundies....provided they don't try to push their views on others. 
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools and a Catholic University  I'm aware that religious groups do a lot of charitable work (as do secular groups) and luckily I have never been in need.   My own personal beliefs are quite simple.  If one is against abortion then don't get an abortion.  If one is  against gay marriage then don't get "gay married" etc... I have a bunch of friends who are orthodox jews and they're not out picketing McDonalds (or blowing it up) for making cheese burgers (they can't mix meat and dairy) or usng pork products.   

As to stem cell research, I can't understand how anyone could oppose that on any ground but if they do oppose it for some misguided (in my opion) religious belief then they should abstain from availing themselves of any potential cures that are a result.  That would be consistent with their beliefs but then if their life of the life of their child were on the line they might feel differently.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 06:06:57 PM »
That quote in my signature is from the very reverend Jerry Falwell.

I have no problem with religious people and even fundies....provided they don't try to push their views on others. 
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools and a Catholic University  I'm aware that religious groups do a lot of charitable work (as do secular groups) and luckily I have never been in need.   My own personal beliefs are quite simple.  If one is against abortion then don't get an abortion.  If one is  against gay marriage then don't get "gay married" etc... I have a bunch of friends who are orthodox jews and they're not out picketing McDonalds (or blowing it up) for making cheese burgers (they can't mix meat and dairy) or usng pork products.   

As to stem cell research, I can't understand how anyone could oppose that on any ground but if they do oppose it for some misguided (in my opion) religious belief then they should abstain from availing themselves of any potential cures that are a result.  That would be consistent with their beliefs but then if their life of the life of their child were on the line they might feel differently.   
That can be said for anybody in any situation most liberals are against guns but would probably use one if their family or own life was in danger as well...Seculars push their beliefs on others as well i hope you attack them for the same. I have no problem with stem cell research although not for abortions in most cases. The gay marriage thing isnt as clear cut though so...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 07:00:52 PM »
That can be said for anybody in any situation most liberals are against guns but would probably use one if their family or own life was in danger as well...Seculars push their beliefs on others as well i hope you attack them for the same. I have no problem with stem cell research although not for abortions in most cases. The gay marriage thing isnt as clear cut though so...

I think most people probably have a mix of what would be considered liberal and conservative viewpoints. 

What beliefs are you referring to that "seculars" push on others?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »
obama should listen to scientific minds like dr shirley a jackson in the future