Author Topic: Nearly the End of the Line for S.U.V.’s  (Read 620 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Nearly the End of the Line for S.U.V.’s
« on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »
JANESVILLE, Wis. — Even a federal bailout could not save three of the last remaining plants in the United States still making sport utility vehicles.

Reeling from its financial problems and a collapsing S.U.V. market, General Motors on Tuesday closed its factories in this city and in Moraine, Ohio, marking the passing of an era when big S.U.V.’s ruled the road. The moves followed the shutdown last Friday of Chrysler’s factory in Newark, Del., which produced full-size S.U.V.’s.

The last Chevrolet Tahoe rolled off the line here in Janesville shortly after 7 a.m. in the 90-year-old plant, which had built more than 3.7 million big S.U.V.’s since the early 1990s.

Most of the plant’s 1,100 remaining workers were not scheduled to work the final day, but many showed up for an emotional closing ceremony. Dan Doubleday, who had 22 years on the job, broke down in the plant’s snowy parking lot afterward.

Brutal. I feel for these people. Especially now that its Christmas.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Nearly the End of the Line for S.U.V.’s
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »
well, it's supply and demand.

There isn't a demand for a lot of vehicles right now.

It shouldn't have been hard to predict - nothing last forever and there are always highs and lows, ebbs and flows to these things.

A demand for ANYTHING isn't always guaranteed.  If the employee finds his skills are no longer in demand, it's time to go back to school and get new skills.  Hell, spend 3 weekends with a carpentry or plumbing book and you can get good enough to do that for a living. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »
well, it's supply and demand.

There isn't a demand for a lot of vehicles right now.

It shouldn't have been hard to predict - nothing last forever and there are always highs and lows, ebbs and flows to these things.

A demand for ANYTHING isn't always guaranteed.  If the employee finds his skills are no longer in demand, it's time to go back to school and get new skills.  Hell, spend 3 weekends with a carpentry or plumbing book and you can get good enough to do that for a living. 

Thats why factory jobs generally suck. I learned many  trades because I knew no one could take that away from me. If things got shitty in one place, I could go to another city/country, there is always building or maintenance going on somewhere.  What are you gonna do when you're 49 and lose your assembly job? Go back to school?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:13:06 PM »
the suv is not going to die the demand will be back when the economy picks back up.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »
Thats why factory jobs generally suck. I learned many  trades because I knew no one could take that away from me. If things got shitty in one place, I could go to another city/country, there is always building or maintenance going on somewhere.  What are you gonna do when you're 49 and lose your assembly job? Go back to school?

Actually, yes.  At 49, you can go back to school.  In my MBA courses, there were people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s pursuing advanced degrees.  It sucks, but if they're prepared at all, they have 6 months worth of income in their savings as sort of a security blanket for times like these.

In 6 months, you can beome a freakin expert at plumbing, electronics, you name it.  In a 6 month period, I earned 4 computer certifications, while working FT and going to grad school full time.  I had no time to sleep and was reading 24/7, but i had to do it.  In 6 months, with a library card, you can re-learn a skill which is actually saleable.

It sucks, I agree.  But if there was a HUGE demand for factory workers, this same 49-year old guy would be the one playing hardball, making employers bid for his services.  In 2008, it's not like that.  But he could always find out what skill is in demand - whether it be tow truck driver or electrician or auto repairman - or whatever skill is required when economy sucks - and learn to do it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »
Thats why factory jobs generally suck. I learned many  trades because I knew no one could take that away from me. If things got shitty in one place, I could go to another city/country, there is always building or maintenance going on somewhere. 

This is brilliant advice, and EVERYONE should have a plan B, C, or D in place.

If my business dried up tomorrow, i could return to teaching on Monday morning (i keep my teaching certificate active).  I could work as a manager with the business degree.  i coudl set up MS networks and linux servers.  I could work at a daycare center or teach high school economics.  I could work as a copy editor.  Hell, I could start a message board, deliver incredible content, and charge advertising fees lol....

In my spare time, I work on the Plan B, C, D, Es.  Everyone should!  It's not as fun as watching Americna idol or Mon night football, but way more important.  You should always know of 2 or 4 or 6 careers or jobs you could step into tomorrow, if your main income skill is suddenly not in demand anymore.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:24:23 PM »
This is brilliant advice, and EVERYONE should have a plan B, C, or D in place.

If my business dried up tomorrow, i could return to teaching on Monday morning (i keep my teaching certificate active).  I could work as a manager with the business degree.  i coudl set up MS networks and linux servers.  I could work at a daycare center or teach high school economics.  I could work as a copy editor.  Hell, I could start a message board, deliver incredible content, and charge advertising fees lol....

In my spare time, I work on the Plan B, C, D, Es.  Everyone should!  It's not as fun as watching Americna idol or Mon night football, but way more important.  You should always know of 2 or 4 or 6 careers or jobs you could step into tomorrow, if your main income skill is suddenly not in demand anymore.

The bottom line is that people need skills that are useful to business and life.  If you have skill that is wanted, needed, and desired, you will be employed.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »
just live below your means and it's all good.yea I could get an apartment but I choose to stay in my cardboard box.
DAWG