Author Topic: The Day The Earth Stood Still  (Read 3292 times)

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
The Day The Earth Stood Still
« on: December 24, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »
Don't see it, terrible script!
I am a big baby

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
Re: The Day The Earth Stood Still
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 02:28:52 AM »
Agreed, terrible movie.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 06:17:36 AM »

Movies.com gave it a D- rating. Shit, I'd see a movie with a C or something similar, if the previews looked OK or somewhat good.

But D-? Shit, they probably didn't give them an F, because they at least raised a few million to make the shitty movie!

http://www.movies.com/thedaytheearthstoodstill/movietimes/103064/

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »
damn.....every movie i thinks looks like it might be alright always turns out to be shit.  ;D
No doubt about it...

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:41:01 AM »
yeah it was horrible

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »

Great production values but you are correct: it was a terrible script. :(

The 1951 film was brilliant and focused on Klattu delivering his message to world leaders: we (earth) can join them "and live in peace or continue on your present course and face obliteration."

A third of the way through this 2008 film, Klaatu gave up on talking to world leaders and decides that mankind must simply be eliminated in order to save the planet.  The reason for this shift in approach and hasty conclusion is never explained. The audience is left wondering why he really came to earth.  Very poorly done. ☹

By the way, the short story that was the basis for TDTESS is a great read for scifi fans.  The story is called "Farewell to the Master" and it is available for reading online.  Google it and you'll find it.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »
Great production values but you are correct: it was a terrible script. :(

The 1951 film was brilliant and focused on Klattu delivering his message to world leaders: we (earth) can join them "and live in peace or continue on your present course and face obliteration."

A third of the way through this 2008 film, Klaatu gave up on talking to world leaders and decides that mankind must simply be eliminated in order to save the planet.  The reason for this shift in approach and hasty conclusion is never explained. The audience is left wondering why he really came to earth.  Very poorly done. ☹

By the way, the short story that was the basis for TDTESS is a great read for scifi fans.  The story is called "Farewell to the Master" and it is available for reading online.  Google it and you'll find it.
Will it totally blow my mind out?
G

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »
In the original story, Gnut (Gort) the "robot" is really in charge and Klaatu is his pet/servant.  When Klaatu is killed, Gnut effectively brings him back to life by cloning him based not on one or more cells but from an audio recording of Klaatu's voice!  :o

"...and now he has made me again, from my voice, as recorded by your people. As you must know, a given body makes a characteristic sound. He constructed an apparatus which reversed the recording process, and from the given sound made the characteristic body."

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »
i liked this movie, give it a B+
TEAM Nasser

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »
Just watched it last night.  Sucked. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »
awful movie

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:31:39 PM »
Jennifer Connelly gave a fine performance, ...as did Jaden Smith.... came off a litty bratty, ...but good performance.
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:58:43 PM »
Jennifer Connelly gave a fine performance, ...as did Jaden Smith.... came off a litty bratty, ...but good performance.

Cute kid, but I don’t like to see such naked displays of nepotism.  There are literally thousands of cute kids trying to get acting roles in even bit parts. Does anyone think Jaden would be walking into film roles in big budget movies if he wasn't the son of Will and Jada?

Does anyone (even within the GOP) think Bush would have been given the opportunity to become Gov. and later President if his father had not been President? ::)

At Lynn University in Boca Raton, FL Donald E. Ross was president for 35 years.  When he finally stepped down, he walked away with a pay package of more than $5 million.  The “independent” board of trustees searched the known universe for their next president and guess who they selected?  Yep: Don’s son, Kevin M. Ross. ::)

Donald Trump's son was labeled a real estate tycoon in his early 20s.  ::)

Why do we tell people to work hard and pull themselves by their own bootstraps when we acknowledge, accept, and even celebrate people who did nothing of the sort?

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:29:34 PM »

It could have been better, for sure and the brat was an annoying little fcuk.

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:19:29 AM »
Cute kid, but I don’t like to see such naked displays of nepotism.  There are literally thousands of cute kids trying to get acting roles in even bit parts. Does anyone think Jaden would be walking into film roles in big budget movies if he wasn't the son of Will and Jada?

Does anyone (even within the GOP) think Bush would have been given the opportunity to become Gov. and later President if his father had not been President? ::)

At Lynn University in Boca Raton, FL Donald E. Ross was president for 35 years.  When he finally stepped down, he walked away with a pay package of more than $5 million.  The “independent” board of trustees searched the known universe for their next president and guess who they selected?  Yep: Don’s son, Kevin M. Ross. ::)

Why do we tell people to work hard and pull themselves by their own bootstraps when we acknowledge, accept, and even celebrate people who did nothing of the sort?

great post and I am sure this can be related to other things and people in life.

jt
TEAM Nasser

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 11:27:15 AM »
It could have been better, for sure and the brat was an annoying little fcuk.

I pretty much agree.  Cute kid, but not blown away by his acting. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 02:39:36 AM »

I understand what you mean about nepotism, ...but what you refer to as nepotism, may simply be nothing more than access.

No doubt being the son of Will Smith gets him access, but the fact remains that a kid like that, having the parents he does, gives him a distinct advantage over other actors his age, ...and I'm not refering to access or privilege. There are many kids in the business who have gotten extremely far because of what their parents brought to the table, ...and I'm not refering to marquee or clout, ...but simple  knowledge of the business, and the ability to impart that knowledge to their kids, and light the right fire under the kid's agent. He's been immersed in the business his entire life, ...not just from his Dad's acting, ...but also his Mom's directing and producing. As I type this, I'm thinking of one particular actor, whose father is a film producer, but has absolutely no public or even private association with his kid. As far as most in the industry know, ...they're not even related, ...but you can bet his Dad makes sure things are handled properly in his kids career.

Jaden cut his teeth on "The Pursuit of Happyness". Without Jaden in the picture, Will could never have delivered the performance he did, ...and with that on his resumé, and his by now ability to remain in character throughout, ...who is anyone of us to say Jaden didn't earn that role on his own merit? Do you dismiss Dakota Fanning? How about Haley Joel Osment? Don't dismiss his talent or discipline, or sell the kid short just because of who his parents are? There are plenty of kids who walk into big budget movies some with, and some without a pedigree. They have the talent to do it. I believe Jaden to be one of those kids. Infact, from what I understand about how Will and Jada are raising their kids, ...there's no doubt in my mind Jaden Smith had what it takes to win roles on his own merit.

Trust me when I tell you, blind nepotism as you term it, isn't as rampant in the industry as you seem to think, ...and certainly not when millions of dollars are at stake. If anything, the kids of notable names are actually penalized and more is demanded of them. Many often change their names in an attempt to at least get a fair shot.

As for Ross and Trump... no comment. Bush was ... umm... an obvious brainfart by the GOP.
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:28:25 AM »
>who is anyone of us to say Jaden didn't earn that role on his own merit?

I'll say it.  I do not believe for a minute that Jaden would have landed that role in open audition/competition.  For one thing, as a black child actor his casting is inconsistent with the narrative we are given.  There are virtually no black characters in this film.  His "mother" is white and his "father" is absent.  There is no obvious reason why Helen Benson's "son" would be African American.

Granting someone special access in the industry via a family relationship is still a form of nepotism.  No 5 or 7 year old kid lands an acting gig because he has "knowledge of the business." 

Enrique Iglesias is a better example of someone who made his own way.  Due, in part, to tension between him and his father, Enrique "did not want his famous surname to help advance his career."  In fact, when he was starting he didn't want his father to know anything about his nascent recording career.  With borrowed money, Enrique "recorded a demo tape which consisted of one Spanish song and two English songs. Approaching his father's former publicist Fernan Martinez, the two shopped the demo tape under the stage name 'Enrique Martinez' with the backstory of being an unknown from Guatemala. Iglesias was signed by a then small indie record label called Fonovisa. Dropping out of college he went to Toronto, Ontario for six months to record his first album."  That's the story anyway.

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

I'll say it.  I do not believe for a minute that Jaden would have landed that role in open audition/competition.  For one thing, as a black child actor his casting is inconsistent with the narrative we are given.  There are virtually no black characters in this film.  His "mother" is white and his "father" is absent.  There is no obvious reason why Helen Benson's "son" would be African American.

Granting someone special access in the industry via a family relationship is still a form of nepotism.  No 5 or 7 year old kid lands an acting gig because he has "knowledge of the business." 

Enrique Iglesias is a better example of someone who made his own way.  Due, in part, to tension between him and his father, Enrique "did not want his famous surname to help advance his career."  In fact, when he was starting he didn't want his father to know anything about his nascent recording career.  With borrowed money, Enrique "recorded a demo tape which consisted of one Spanish song and two English songs. Approaching his father's former publicist Fernan Martinez, the two shopped the demo tape under the stage name 'Enrique Martinez' with the backstory of being an unknown from Guatemala. Iglesias was signed by a then small indie record label called Fonovisa. Dropping out of college he went to Toronto, Ontario for six months to record his first album."  That's the story anyway.

i 100% agree with Bay.

jt
TEAM Nasser

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 09:08:30 PM »

Except when the best kid for the part is Black. Accordingly, based on the story line, (which I assume was inserted to address any incongruency) you can also see why there was no obvious or imperative reason for the character to be cast caucasian. The father who was deceased was Black., therefore no incongruency. Changes like this occur all the time. I've auditioned for roles, where an irrelevant backstory involved romance. When all was said and done, I turned out to be the best actor for the job, so producers faced the decision, do they go with me, and keep the backstory, potentially risking a backlash for an interacial romance... or do they go with a lesser performer and keep the backstory. What were their priorities? They decided the best performers for the job, were more important than an irrelevant backstory, so I, along with the white guy, both got the job, and "they went another way" with the backstory. Jaden's casting could very well have been a similar situation. So now we've got a caucasian mom and a black child. How do you explain Jennifer Connelly having a Black child? Simple, ...he is her stepson, ...a child she acquired from having married her now deceased husband. Incongruency wrapped up.

I'm not talking about granting special access, I'm talking about having it by virtue of proximity to it. Kinda similar to when they were shooting an Ivory snow ad and didn't have a baby, and the casting director remembered her model friend Teri Shields who just had a baby, so in a desperate panic pleaded with her to bring in her baby Brooke. Brooke's proximity to the industry gave her access. Access, is not always a case of who you know, ...more often, it's who knows you.

If Jaden Smith wanted to get into movies, he stands a better chance than Joey Smith whose parents would then have to research the industry to find out what doors to even knock on first. His parents already know that. They already know the ins and outs of film making... the day in, day out... down & dirty of what's required ON THE JOB, and can take him through it better than any stage mom or dad who's never been there.  Just as if Arnold Schwarzenegger's kid was running for governor of his kindergarten class, ...he'd probably have a better organized campaign than any of his fellow 5 yr olds. And he'd probably be astute enough to promise extra playtime, ...and chocolate milk, ice cream & cake along with cookies, just before nap time.  :D

It's the same reason why in my 11th grade marketing class, Joey L, blew everyone out of the water and got the highest grade on an assignment. His family had a chain of grocery stores and he'd been immersed in, and learning the business since he could crawl, as opposed to the rest of us who first encountered the subject at the start of that school semester.

And you're wrong about the assertion that no 5 or 7 yr. old kids land acting gigs because they have knowledge of the business. You'd be surprised. There are plenty of cute faces in Hollywood, ...but if you ask a producer, director, or cast if they had to choose between 2 cute faces, one without knowledge or exprience, and the other Dakota Fanning, ...they're gonna go with Dakota everytime. If you've never worked on a film set with a child, you have no basis to judge. Their knowing what the heck is going on around them is extremely important to EVERYONE concerned.  No one has time to babysit or teach someone as they go. You need a kid whose gonna understand the difference between a wide angle and a 2 shot, and be able to tailor their performance accordingly. When working with minors, there's no wiggle room. Everyone needs to be on point. You need to bring it home on the first two takes, ...especially when working with minors and the time constraints that brings.

Granted their knowledge is not gonna be as specialized or as technical as an adult's with yrs of experience, but you'd be surprised how much these kids know, ...especially if they start early enough, ...and alot of them do, ...some while literally in diapers. The youngest kid I ever met on a film set was literally less than 1 day old. I met him again when he was 6. That little guy was a PRO. Of course I didn't recognize him, ...his Mom and I recognized each other.

So you know what I'm talking about when I refer to the access and information their pedigrees provide. If Julio had not been his father, ...and he was just some kid starting from scratch, he wouldn't have known to get a publicist, or where to go to find one. As well too, the offspring of celebrities know they often have a more difficult road ahead of them, by virtue of their pedigree. Infact, from what I heard Jaden had to go through so many auditions the Smiths began to feel they were being harder on him because of who his parents were and were almost ready to pull the plug on the whole thing.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 09:36:57 PM »
There are virtually no black characters in this film.

Tell that to Rukiya, Lorena, Stephanie, Roger, and Lloyd.  Last time I talked to them, they were all Black! >:(
I strongly suspect, ...they still are too.

...or for that matter the guy who played the sergeant, the female military chick or any of the other black actors in the cast.

There is no obvious reason why Helen Benson's "son" would be African American.

There doesn't need to be. That's one of the biggest beefs black actors have had with Hollywood over the years. It seems that unless there was some imperative that demanded an actor be Black, ...Black actors were never cast. Hilarious that you should be complaining that they found a way to make it work into the story line, ...and you're complaining. Go figure. Next you'll complain about a film that happens to show a normal guy couple just going about their life. Are you going to scream, there was no obvious reason they had to be a gay couple?  ;)
w

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
Bay is right.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 11:28:39 PM »
only good thing to come from this movie.

this line

Professor Barnhardt: ... But it's only on the brink that people find the will to change. Only at the precipice do we evolve. ...

I wanted that kid to die in this movie. He's was F'in annoying

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 03:35:19 AM »
Bay is right.

Bay's 'opinion' is reasonable, and logically formed based on his limited knowledge of the industry.
It does NOT however, make it right, or correct. His is not the be all, end all, or final arbiter on the matter,
...but you're free to be inclined to agree with him if you choose. Simply understand your opinion is quite subjective.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 03:42:52 AM »
only good thing to come from this movie.

this line

I wanted that kid to die in this movie. He's was F'in annoying

I found the character to be a tad annoying as well, ...but I'm biased. I'm not fond of misbehaving and/or defiant disobediant children, ...even though I was notoriously defiant as a child (still am sometimes too)  :P
But here I blame the writers, not the actor. If his character is written as a defiant brat, ...that's how he's got to be played. I thought Jaden's performance was well executed. And he was just adorable in "The Pursuit of Happyness". I can't wait to see more of him in the future. He's gonna be quite the little thespian in no time.
w