Author Topic: 2008 Worlds Strongest Man  (Read 10754 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
2008 Worlds Strongest Man
« on: December 26, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »
Anyone watch it on Christmas? I have known the results for some time but couldnt imagine how close it was.

IMO, if it hadnt been raining Poundstone would be WSM. The last stone Poundstone loaded did a full spin on the lip of the platform and fell. No rain and the stone would have caught and gone up easy. YES it is his fault but it was a stupid mistake. I think Pudz should have realized that and challenged him to another go in the stones. There is little honor in winning off someone elses screwup.

If you want to catch the whole thing its on ESPN on the 28th. Check your local listings. 8)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: 2008 Worlds Strongest Man
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 08:36:15 AM »
saw some of it yesterday, looks like the USA has some promising talent in Ortmayer, Poundstone, Ostlund and Nee.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:42:55 AM »
poundstone will be wsm very soon. But keep in mind pudz did as well as he did with a severely strained calf, so don't count out mr. 5x just yet.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
saw some of it yesterday, looks like the USA has some promising talent in Ortmayer, Poundstone, Ostlund and Nee.

Yep, Ortmayer in particular seems to be improving fast. Poundstone for the win though

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »
Ortmayer is an animal! Not sure how long he is going to be able to hold up though? He recently had a couple injuries that may affect his showing at the Fit Expo. The one I think should be kept an eye on is Shaw. He has the height and weight to demolish harness events and the fingers. If he could just work on that pressing he would be top 3 I think. Also, Nick Best will probably be in it next year and I know he will make some wave as long as he remains uninjured.

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:36:30 AM »
You can download a video of it on macthrowvideo.com but you have to register first.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:38:46 AM »
Anyone watch it on Christmas? I have known the results for some time but couldnt imagine how close it was.

IMO, if it hadnt been raining Poundstone would be WSM. The last stone Poundstone loaded did a full spin on the lip of the platform and fell. No rain and the stone would have caught and gone up easy. YES it is his fault but it was a stupid mistake. I think Pudz should have realized that and challenged him to another go in the stones. There is little honor in winning off someone elses screwup.

If you want to catch the whole thing its on ESPN on the 28th. Check your local listings. 8)

Of course there is.  It is called an "unforced error" and winners make fewer of them.  The unforced error is widely recognized in other sports (tennis for example).

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:18:09 AM »

C'mon I know you're supporting Poundstone, but who in their right mind would've done that? Poundstone wouldnt either. Shit happens.

Besides as a rookie Poundstone gave him a run for his money, hes definitely gonna win a few WSM's.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:39:38 PM »

C'mon I know you're supporting Poundstone, but who in their right mind would've done that? Poundstone wouldnt either. Shit happens.

Besides as a rookie Poundstone gave him a run for his money, hes definitely gonna win a few WSM's.

He's actually not allowed to do that but it was a serious upset to me. ;D Its all good, the big show is the Arnold and Pudz will never win that.

I get excited at this stuff like most people do with football. ;)

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 03:39:40 PM »
Yeah, you Yanks have a few good young guys. I like Poundstone and Ostlund, don't care much for the rest. (although I'm glad to see Nee's gotten over his habit of collapsing after every event.)

Arild Haugen's definitely one to watch.

The sport's got a bright future, but i still think it lacks something due to the 2 separate federations. LIft4Size is right with the Arnold being the one that matters. I wish it got the tv coverage WSW does.

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 01:39:32 AM »
Mariusz wants another one in 2009:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/morenewsv6.php?id=2795#2795

Dereks response to this statement:

"Now this just upsets me, when have I ever made excusses Brady?? Please do tell! Lets rewind to the first event at Mohegan Sun, remember that? Did I come on here and complain about it? Despite a bad call (we are human after all) I was able to overcome this obsticle and win the contest.

On that note I will go on to say that I was not Mariusz's biggest fan after the way he so graciously lost at Mohegan Sun. He left prior to signing autographs while the rest of the competitors sat there for over an hour when we were all starving, sweaty and generally not in the mood. But we did this for our love for the fans, like you. After MSG and WSM 08, I have a entire new respect for the man. When I got to spend a little time with him, I soon realized he is a nice guy. I've heard a lot of people critisize Mariusz thinking he is rude or full of himself. I'm quick to say that he is not these things and actually a nice guy. THat being said, I too am a Mariusz fan and nearly lost respect for him due to one incident. We in society tend to focus on the negative, I don not. Mariusz is a great champion and benifitted from a mistake on my part. We see this in all sports but a win is a win, no matter how it comes.

I am very excited that Mariusz is going to compete in 09, now lets get him to the Arnold, Fortissimus and possibly Mohegan Sun too!!!"

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 10:55:59 AM »

i didn't see it, but i heard Nee wasn't even in the finals.

i am not a fan of nee at all, regardless. gassed up way too much, goes to the point of passing out every time he competes. when he has a heart attack i'm not going to be surprised.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »
i didn't see it, but i heard Nee wasn't even in the finals.

i am not a fan of nee at all, regardless. gassed up way too much, goes to the point of passing out every time he competes. when he has a heart attack i'm not going to be surprised.
yeah but you can't deny the fact that the kid is STRONG. :o

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 05:12:11 PM »
yeah but you can't deny the fact that the kid is STRONG. :o

The kid IS strong but things are catching up to him too. Hopefully he and Arild Haugen realize that you dont have to be the youngest WSM to be the best. That kind of mentality will only force you to rush yourself and ultimately end your career. These two guys could be the strongest weve ever seen, just gotta give it time.

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
Some "fresh" videos of Poundstone training:

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 12:28:47 PM »
he's strong but it looks like he's inflating the numbers a bit on those, no way that farmers carry is 950 pounds unless the aparattus weighs 770 pounds and no fuccking way is that yoke 1100, he's got 4 100 pound plates on each side and there's no way the damn empty yoke weighs 300 pounds. ::)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 12:47:05 PM »
he's strong but it looks like he's inflating the numbers a bit on those, no way that farmers carry is 950 pounds unless the aparattus weighs 770 pounds and no fuccking way is that yoke 1100, he's got 4 100 pound plates on each side and there's no way the damn empty yoke weighs 300 pounds. ::)

I disagree with the yoke comment.  thats a solid base yoke.  You don't know whats in it.  It could be filled with something or it could be metal stacked inside.   300 lbs isn't unbelievable. 

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 12:57:31 PM »
You can get very easily fooled when guessing the weight of some equipment made from iron (or anything that looks small to you - it may surprise you). Pipes from which the yoke is made are probably quite thick and the main weight must be at the bottom for stability.
The farmers carry has four big pieces which are quite heavy by the looks of it - 770 pounds easy. Again, don`t underestimate the weight of this equipment, it is made for brute strength not for fitness wannabes.

Egil

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 12:58:22 PM »
Well

Kevin injured his bicep again in July, When he was leading the Svend Karlsen Viking Power Challenge. He was on his way to the WSM when he tore a couple of fibers again. Luckily it was not as bad as the last time.

Arild has quit professional strongman for now. He has got a contract for pro Boxing, and will be fighting his first matches this year. He is young enough to return to the circus at a later moment.

Mariusz must be tired after so many years in the top. His body might not take very much more, and with the big americans really coming into the game, it wont be as easy as it has been for him.

Poundstone, Skog, Ortmayer, Nee, Wenta, Phister.... I am really looking forward to this year!
I am really hoping that Derek joins Kevin in Norway for VPC, and that Richard qualifies to the WSM so that me and the wife can go to the states for the first time!! :)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »
Well

Kevin injured his bicep again in July, When he was leading the Svend Karlsen Viking Power Challenge. He was on his way to the WSM when he tore a couple of fibers again. Luckily it was not as bad as the last time.

Arild has quit professional strongman for now. He has got a contract for pro Boxing, and will be fighting his first matches this year. He is young enough to return to the circus at a later moment.

Mariusz must be tired after so many years in the top. His body might not take very much more, and with the big americans really coming into the game, it wont be as easy as it has been for him.

Poundstone, Skog, Ortmayer, Nee, Wenta, Phister.... I am really looking forward to this year!
I am really hoping that Derek joins Kevin in Norway for VPC, and that Richard qualifies to the WSM so that me and the wife can go to the states for the first time!! :)

I heard Arild was "taking some time off" a while ago and thought "okay, he's pretty young and he'll come back soon." But boxing?! Im still in disbelief that someone can have such potential and just leave the sport.

I disagree with the yoke comment.  thats a solid base yoke.  You don't know whats in it.  It could be filled with something or it could be metal stacked inside.   300 lbs isn't unbelievable. 

The yokes we have are 300lb starting wieght and look very similar. I believe that frame is from Mohegan Sun too so Im sure its not light at all. We have a frame that is basically 4 8" steel tubes with some angle iron and it weighs 500 dry. These implement weights are very decieving to most for sure though. I remember looking at some of this stuff and thinking it was a cake walk, I was wrong. ;D

Egil

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »
I guess there are a combination of things that has led to this....

1. Arild is not satisfied with the economy in it. strongman does not give the kind of money he feels are in place for the sacrifice and health risks.

2. Rumors has it that he had to take some time of because of his health. He has gone quite to the limits the last couple of years.

3. Simultaneously he got an offer from a promotor in Norway that was too good to turn down. There are both economy and plans in it for Arild to have something to work for. And it suits his new cardio regime and lighter training perfectly.

He has dieted 20 lbs off his already muscular frame, and is boxing at doing cardio every day, most days for two sessions. (morning and evening)

WSM 08

Now

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »
I know the prize money is not great (especially with all the gear) but its for a title more than anything. Most of the people who do strongman realize that its never going to make you rich. They know they have to work as well. Derek Poundtone, Phil Phister, Odd Haugen, and even Kevin Nee realize this and do what it takes.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 06:55:55 AM »
I know the prize money is not great (especially with all the gear) but its for a title more than anything. Most of the people who do strongman realize that its never going to make you rich. They know they have to work as well. Derek Poundtone, Phil Phister, Odd Haugen, and even Kevin Nee realize this and do what it takes.

Yep, if I ever compete in strongman it would be the titles and a feeling of enjoyment and pride in my work that I would be chasing. (Don't get me wrong though, a little extra cash is always good!  ;) ) Money is made elsewhere outside the sport anyways. Books, dvds, tv appearances etc etc, so imo it's kind of up to the individual to use their initiative to generate a little extra income.