Author Topic: Wouldn't this be illegal....?  (Read 2078 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Wouldn't this be illegal....?
« on: December 27, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »
....if the grandmother did this against the mother's will?

DEAR ABBY: My mother-in-law is insisting that she have my 8-month-old daughter "Mallory's" ears pierced. I am refusing. I do not want Mallory to be uncomfortable during the procedure or afterward. I have enough to worry about without adding fears of infected earlobes or my little one choking on jewelry parts. Mallory is just a baby -- MY baby.

My mother-in-law says she will "slip off" and have Mallory's ears pierced and I won't be able to do anything about it. Furthermore, when I said I didn't feel it was necessary to explain why I was against the idea, my father-in-law stood up and told me to get out of his #@&! house. I took Mallory and left.

Two weeks later, they called my husband and asked to baby-sit. They have never apologized. I'm afraid they will pierce my baby's ears if she's left alone with them. What do I do? -- MALLORY'S MOM IN GEORGIA

DEAR MOM: I'll tell you what you DON'T do -- you do not allow your in-laws to baby-sit your daughter until you are absolutely sure your wishes about her care will be followed.
R

Alex23

Re: Wouldn't this be illegal....?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 11:56:47 AM »
Both mother and father in law deserve to have their teeth knocked out and genitals pierced and chained together.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »
There is A LOT more going on there than a dispute about pierced ears.  And yes, I think it would be illegal.  The husband (father) needs to grow a set and take charge.
:

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Both mother and father in law deserve to have their teeth knocked out and genitals pierced and chained together.
S

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
it would not be illegal. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:29:14 AM »

Hot!  ;D

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »

it would be illegal, custody is with the mom. it would probably be handled in civil court. Causing pain/distress to those without the ability to give consent is ofc unethical. If they'd try that with my kid, I'd give em hell!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 05:26:35 PM »
even though the custody lies with the parents, having the child get their ears peirced is not illegal.  Unless the grandma kidnapped the kid and got it done.  As for pain and suffering, it's a lost case IMO due to the fact that the child can't quantify/qualify the pain.  Also it's not really painful unless infection set in.  The grandparents should honor the parents wishes though.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »
even though the custody lies with the parents, having the child get their ears peirced is not illegal.  Unless the grandma kidnapped the kid and got it done.  As for pain and suffering, it's a lost case IMO due to the fact that the child can't quantify/qualify the pain.  Also it's not really painful unless infection set in.  The grandparents should honor the parents wishes though.
Seems like poking holes through someone's skin against their (presumably) and their guardian's (definitely) will would be illegal.  It could be injurious and harmful depending upon infection etc. 

I'd feel like having them arrested  :(
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »
But you can't pressume will for the child.  And even if they sued, they would really only be able to get maybe the medical costs, if infection occured back, as any punitive damages can't be quantified by the child.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 12:50:30 AM »
exactly, so the child should be left alone. I highly doubt that (in the dutch legal system) laying your hands on someone else's kid and piercing the ears is legal. I'll ask a friend of mine, he's a Master of Law.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »
I don't understand where the father is in any of this.  "Abby" should have also advised the mother to tell her husband to talk with his parents about being respectful of their wishes...he obviously has balls as he had a child...
Jennifer

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 12:59:34 PM »
I'm undecided on this.  I would think it could be considered abuse to the child if the mother stated (with witnesses) that she didn't want the childs ears pierced due to the pain and risk of infection, but one never knows with our court systems.

I would have answered to the grandmother that it will be a waste of her money as I would remove them from the baby as soon as she got home (and then the holes would close right up). 

...actually I would have answered "oh reeeeeeally, well then I'll just pierce your face with my fist when you get back" with a big smile on my face.  and no, i don't need anger management, lol.  ;D
:D Weee

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
...actually I would have answered "oh reeeeeeally, well then I'll just pierce your face with my fist when you get back" with a big smile on my face.  and no, i don't need anger management, lol.  ;D

lol
S

parsnip1965

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
I'm a lawyer (not practicing; I work in a related field).  In my state I think I could successfully ask a judge for a restraining order against the grandparents, alleging that they had threatened physical assault and battery on a minor child.  Because of the relatively minor nature of the threatened assault, this might or might not work, but if I were the parent of the child I'd consider it.