Author Topic: Is there other life in the universe?  (Read 8942 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Is there other life in the universe?
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »
I screwed up and originally posted this on the religion board.What's your take are we the only life in the universe?Or is there others?and have they visited earth?
DAWG

ozman

• Getbig IV
Re: Is there other life in the universe?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »
no

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:28:25 AM »
no

I see you put alot of thought into it.care to elaborate any.
DAWG

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:42:49 AM »
If one considers the vast amount of solar systems, galaxies with literally millions of Planets, it would be arrogant to not consider that life may sprung up elsewhere. However, unless they've technologically solved the problem of interstellar travel, we may never meet any other beings.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »
If one considers the vast amount of solar systems, galaxies with literally millions of Planets, it would be arrogant to not consider that life may sprung up elsewhere. However, unless they've technologically solved the problem of interstellar travel, we may never meet any other beings.
i can agree with that also you should state whether you mean life, or intelligent life...there was some guy who stated it like this

to calculate the odds of us ever seeing another intelligent species is slim the odds of there being life other than on earth, with the odds that that life is intelligent, with the odds of us being able to find them, with the odds that our technology can reach them either physically or otherwise, with the odds of them having the technology to find and intupret or signals, with the odds that they would actually respond is astronomical...but at the same time there is the human race on earth so we know that it is possible.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 01:14:40 PM »
i can agree with that also you should state whether you mean life, or intelligent life...there was some guy who stated it like this

to calculate the odds of us ever seeing another intelligent species is slim the odds of there being life other than on earth, with the odds that that life is intelligent, with the odds of us being able to find them, with the odds that our technology can reach them either physically or otherwise, with the odds of them having the technology to find and intupret or signals, with the odds that they would actually respond is astronomical...but at the same time there is the human race on earth so we know that it is possible.
Well, if one came to our planet when life started, they would probably have found just basic, single celled organisms. However, in later years with evolution, intelligent life emerged. This same cycle could replicate itself on another planet.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »
I screwed up and originally posted this on the religion board.What's your take are we the only life in the universe?Or is there others?and have they visited earth?

If you have ever taken an astronomy class in college then you know there is life on other planets.  There are simply too many galaxies with stars and attendant solar systems for earth to be the only planet with life.  So, yes, there is certainly life out there—lots of it.  Undoubtedly, some of it is far more advanced than life on earth while others are not as advanced.

I am certain there are star faring races that routinely move between planets and solar systems.  There may even be communities among planets like the Federation in Star Trek or the Galactic Senate in Star Wars. 

Are aliens aware of us?  Maybe.  Have they come to earth?  I have no reason to think so.  We are too primitive to warrant serious attention from advanced civilizations. 

In both technology and social development we are not yet worthy of contact with alien visitors.  Aliens that have the technology to come here also have the technology to observe us without detection.  They could easily study us from a distance, learn our languages and customs, monitor our radio/tv broadcasts and our global internet.  Having done so, they would quickly learn we are deeply divided over superficial things like international borders, gender, race, sexuality, religion, and on and on.  Having observed that we can not even get along with one another why would aliens (who would certainly not look like us) decide that we could handle contact with beings that would certainly look like freaks (to us).

I am certain there are plenty of advanced civilizations out there but I do not think earth is on their radar screen for now.  We are not technologically and socially ready to handle contact with aliens. 

Even in Star Trek (TNG) they limit First Contact to new planets that have developed warp drive (light speed) technology.  One episode in particular deals with this subject http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/68484.html

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
the somewhat answer to your question..

The drake equation

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html
carpe` vaginum!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »
If you have ever taken an astronomy class in college then you know there is life on other planets.  There are simply too many galaxies with stars and attendant solar systems for earth to be the only planet with life.  So, yes, there is certainly life out there—lots of it.  Undoubtedly, some of it is far more advanced than life on earth while others are not as advanced.

I am certain there are star faring races that routinely move between planets and solar systems.  There may even be communities among planets like the Federation in Star Trek or the Galactic Senate in Star Wars. 

Are aliens aware of us?  Maybe.  Have they come to earth?  I have no reason to think so.  We are too primitive to warrant serious attention from advanced civilizations. 

In both technology and social development we are not yet worthy of contact with alien visitors.  Aliens that have the technology to come here also have the technology to observe us without detection.  They could easily study us from a distance, learn our languages and customs, monitor our radio/tv broadcasts and our global internet.  Having done, so they would quickly learn we are deeply divided over superficial things like international borders, gender, race, sexuality, religion, and on and on.  Having observed that we can not even get along with one another why would aliens (who would certainly not look like us) decide that we could handle contact with beings that would certainly look like freaks (to us).

I am certain there are plenty of advanced civilizations out there but I do not think earth is on their radar screen for now.  We are not technologically and socially ready to handle contact with aliens. 

Even in Star Trek (TNG) they limit First Contact to new planets that have developed warp drive (light speed) technology.  One episode in particular deals with this subject http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/68484.html

Quite possibly your best post to date.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 08:33:50 PM »
do you guys think we will ever get our shit together enough to colonize mars?
DAWG

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »
there is a good possibility that the universe is a lot older than the estimated 14 billion light years, so considering that info, it seems silly to think that there is no other life form in the universe (intelligent or otherwise).

this is my favorite video on youtube. i watch this about twice a month or so, just to remind myself how small we really are.

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 09:10:03 PM »

In both technology and social development we are not yet worthy of contact with alien visitors.  Aliens that have the technology to come here also have the technology to observe us without detection.  They could easily study us from a distance, learn our languages and customs, monitor our radio/tv broadcasts and our global internet.  Having done, so they would quickly learn we are deeply divided over superficial things like international borders, gender, race, sexuality, religion, and on and on.  Having observed that we can not even get along with one another why would aliens (who would certainly not look like us) decide that we could handle contact with beings that would certainly look like freaks (to us).

are you possibly referring to type III civilization aliens? just by pure mathematical odds, I believe they exist.

our type 0 asses are less than dirt in the universal scale.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »

its long....but captivating..

i urge u 2 watch

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1485155465058882626&ei=goJYSaq5M46cqALgsdX2Cw&q=secret+space
carpe` vaginum!

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 02:51:25 AM »
Yes. They have met with humans at Area 51.
No doubt about it...

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 04:03:54 AM »
Yes. They have met with humans at Area 51.

"After all, we powerless mere mortals are way too dumb to be trusted with information on questions like ‘is there anyone out there?’ We would rather leave that to the ‘elected’ elite that control our lives."

http://www.allnewsweb.com/page1241241.php

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 04:13:06 AM »
Scroll down a bit to read the article:

http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1181.htm

What could it be that she has discovered? Could it be true that our DNA is of alien descense?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 04:16:53 AM »

"After all, we powerless mere mortals are way too dumb to be trusted with information on questions like ‘is there anyone out there?’ We would rather leave that to the ‘elected’ elite that control our lives."

http://www.allnewsweb.com/page1241241.php

Very interesting. I'm Australian, so it's very interesting to hear Aussie politicians talk about ufo's and extraterrestrial life and so forth.  8)
No doubt about it...

big L dawg

• Getbig V
DAWG

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 04:27:07 AM »
so mason's worship satan huh. :-\

Jay Cutler does!!  :o

No doubt about it...

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 05:56:04 AM »
i watch this about twice a month or so, just to remind myself how small we really are.

If people could realize just how small we really are in the grand scheme of things, many might stop acting like such a-holes toward each other and the planet that keeps them alive. It is human nature to think everything revolves around them, literally and figuratively.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »
If there was proof of intelligent life or if intelligent life visited our planet.what do you think would be the outcome regarding how we view basically everything.from foreign affairs and how people treat each other (racism,foreigners) to religion.I mean that would be a serious wake up call for those people that think in absolutes.
DAWG

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 09:56:27 AM »
there is a good possibility that the universe is a lot older than the estimated 14 billion light years, so considering that info, it seems silly to think that there is no other life form in the universe (intelligent or otherwise).

this is my favorite video on youtube. i watch this about twice a month or so, just to remind myself how small we really are.

Yikes!

According to that video, our Sun is one of five hundred thousand million stars in our galaxy. 

We all know that we are in the Milky Way galaxy, right?  Perhaps some of you have heard of the Andromeda galaxy; it is the spiral galaxy nearest to the Milky Way.  Well there are millions and millions of other galaxies out there!

Hmm, I wonder if there are any body building aliens out there?  :P

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 10:04:06 AM »
Any of you ever use Google Sky?  It's built into Google Earth and allows you to roam the cosmos.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »
If it was provine the intelligent life was out there or if intelligent life visited our planet.what do you think would be the outcome regarding how we view basically everything.from foreign affairs and how people treat each other (racism,foreigners) to religion.I mean that would be a serious wake up call for those people that think in absolutes.

It may not be as revolutionary as you might think.  There have been other wake up calls throughout human history and they haven’t necessarily changed hearts and minds overnight for the better.  Hard core religious people, for example, would simply integrate the reality of alien life into their various belief systems. 

It is tempting to think that mankind would set aside our differences and realize our common interests, once we realized that we are not alone in the galaxy, but I doubt that would be the case; bigots and conservatives (funny how often these two go together), for example, would continue to cling to their prejudices.

Science fiction novels and films often portray mankind banding together when earth is attacked by aliens.  In theory, this makes sense since “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.”  Unfortunately, if any aliens came here with hostile intentions, we would be sitting ducks at our current level of technology.  We can barely get to the moon and we are still using handguns as weapons.  We have not even learned how to truly harness solar power. ☹

The Dyson Sphere is a neat idea, but it will always be in the realm of fiction.  By contrast, I can see quantum leaps in solar panel and battery technology over the next one to two hundred years that would allow us to power our homes and cars with solar power.