Author Topic: Is there other life in the universe?  (Read 8938 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Is there other life in the universe?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 11:22:28 AM »
It may not be as revolutionary as you might think.  There have been other wake up calls throughout human history and they haven’t necessarily changed hearts and minds overnight for the better.  Hard core religious people, for example, would simply integrate the reality of alien life into their various belief systems. 

It is tempting to think that mankind would set aside our differences and realize our common interests, once we realized that we are not alone in the galaxy, but I doubt that would be the case; bigots and conservatives (funny how often these two go together), for example, would continue to cling to their prejudices.

Science fiction novels and films often portray mankind banding together when earth is attacked by aliens.  In theory, this makes sense since “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.”  Unfortunately, if any aliens came here with hostile intentions, we would be sitting ducks at our current level of technology.  We can barely get to the moon and we are still using handguns as weapons.  We have not even learned how to truly harness solar power. ☹

The Dyson Sphere is a neat idea, but it will always be in the realm of fiction.  By contrast, I can see quantum leaps in solar panel and battery technology over the next one to two hundred years that would allow us to power our homes and cars with solar power.

yea but what if it got to the point were people was living on other planets.wouldn't that throw the whole end of the world,God coming back to earth judgment day stuff out the window.
DAWG

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »
yea but what if it got to the point were people was living on other planets.wouldn't that throw the whole end of the world,God coming back to earth judgment day stuff out the window.

No.  Not for people who choose to believe--and there will always be those people.  Some will be dragged kicking and screaming into the future/reality, but many will keep their head in the sand no matter what.  Remember that story last year of the parents who refused to take their sick daughter to the hospital for medical care insisting that God would cure her?  She ended up dying.

Parents Pick Prayer Over Docs; Girl Dies
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=207732.0

Even on this board you can read posts from people who insist that I am a sinner, am going to hell, or shouldn't be allowed to adopt/raise kids because I don't follow their religious beliefs.  The funny thing is even they can't follow their religious beliefs  ::)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=127046.msg1811391#msg1811391

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 08:24:30 PM »
No.  Not for people who choose to believe--and there will always be those people.  Some will be dragged kicking and screaming into the future/reality, but many will keep their head in the sand no matter what.  Remember that story last year of the parents who refused to take their sick daughter to the hospital for medical care insisting that God would cure her?  She ended up dying.

Parents Pick Prayer Over Docs; Girl Dies
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=207732.0

Even on this board you can read posts from people who insist that I am a sinner, am going to hell, or shouldn't be allowed to adopt/raise kids because I don't follow their religious beliefs.  The funny thing is even they can't follow their religious beliefs  ::)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=127046.msg1811391#msg1811391

yea I see what you are saying.I guess some people will always need that security blanket called religion.
DAWG

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
guys...this question is too big for all of us...the universe is so vast and limitless.....I tend not to believe that there are other intelligent life out there..maybe we are a really big mistake......I don't believe that there are other advanced civilizations out there....maybe there could be some plants or organisms...or things crawling around....but believe me NO ONE is visiting earth since no one will ever be able to travel at warp speed......

do you know what kind of vehicle you would need to travel at warp speed?...nothing made of nuts and bolts (as our space shuttles and rockets are made of) would be able to withstand the incredible G-forces that would be created while traveling at the speed of light...

also, you would need a fuel source that is totally and epically phenomenal to power us that fast and far..it would basically have to be some type of unlimited renewable power and anything that powerful would probably be unstable as hell...how could u contain it?....it certainly wouldn't be like having gas in a gastank...

We'll never know....and maybe it's better this way.....I hope we do find out...since it would debunk most of the religious crap we have had to put up with.....man has done well with exploring the cosmos but I really believe they have reached their limitations in terms of space travel...oh and one last thing....if man were to travel that far into space they would be subjected to massive amounts of Gamma radiation which would be deadly to humans over time.....the best we can hope to do is colonize other plantes so that the human race has a chance at survival if a huge disaster were to occur on earth....such as a meteor strike....in order to survive the human race must colonize other planets...just like roaches have done on earth....they have colonized every city, state, country...thats why it's so darn hard to get rid of them...we have to become the roaches of the universe ;D

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
YES
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
I don't mean to sound too harsh, but you would have to be a narrow-minded idiot with a very limited intellectual capacity to believe earth contains all the lifeforms in the entire universe.

Our universe is so vast we can neither measure it nor comprehend it. To think our little selves sitting here on this little planet are the only life in the entire thing is despicable. 

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »
Debussey thinks there are intelligence out there.

And Debussey thinks the "answers" to the questions humans often asks = too twisted for humans to properly understand, due to our limited intelligence. Only when humans "upgrade" themselves and perhaps transform into other and more advanced life-forms via technology will we have a chance of truly comprehending what = going on.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 06:12:02 AM »
guys...this question is too big for all of us...the universe is so vast and limitless.....I tend not to believe that there are other intelligent life out there..maybe we are a really big mistake......I don't believe that there are other advanced civilizations out there....maybe there could be some plants or organisms...or things crawling around....but believe me NO ONE is visiting earth since no one will ever be able to travel at warp speed......

do you know what kind of vehicle you would need to travel at warp speed?...nothing made of nuts and bolts (as our space shuttles and rockets are made of) would be able to withstand the incredible G-forces that would be created while traveling at the speed of light...

also, you would need a fuel source that is totally and epically phenomenal to power us that fast and far..it would basically have to be some type of unlimited renewable power and anything that powerful would probably be unstable as hell...how could u contain it?
....it certainly wouldn't be like having gas in a gastank...

We'll never know....and maybe it's better this way.....I hope we do find out...since it would debunk most of the religious crap we have had to put up with.....man has done well with exploring the cosmos but I really believe they have reached their limitations in terms of space travel...oh and one last thing....if man were to travel that far into space they would be subjected to massive amounts of Gamma radiation which would be deadly to humans over time.....the best we can hope to do is colonize other plantes so that the human race has a chance at survival if a huge disaster were to occur on earth....such as a meteor strike....in order to survive the human race must colonize other planets...just like roaches have done on earth....they have colonized every city, state, country...thats why it's so darn hard to get rid of them...we have to become the roaches of the universe ;D

You have a very small mind and no sense of history.  :'(

Remember, the idea of human flight was once thought to be quite fanciful.  Today thousands of flights crisscross the globe every day. 

The very idea of a land line telephone was once mocked; today virtually everyone (even poor people) carry and use a cell phone. 

Have you ever used an eight track tape player?  We have gone from 8-track tapes, to albums, to cassette tapes, to compact disks.  When CDs started to become popular in the 1980’s I was a teenager, but even then I could see the technology was immature; I said to a friend of mine at the time that “this disk can hold a lot more data.”  Even as a kid, I theorized that 10-100 times as much data could be stored on that disk.  My friend laughed at me and told me I didn’t know what I was talking about.  Today, we have DVDs and BluRay disks.

Have you ever used a device that was powered by sunlight?  A solar powered calculator perhaps?  The solar panel technology we have today is still in its infancy; imagine what will be possible when we improve the ability of solar panels to collect and store energy, say, 1000 times more efficiently than we can today?

The question of life on other planets may be too big for you but it is not too big for some of us.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 07:15:46 AM »
DAWG

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
carpe` vaginum!

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »
DAWG

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 09:37:16 PM »
yea I see what you are saying.I guess some people will always need that security blanket called religion.

In far too many cases, it is an insecurity blanket. :'(

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: YES
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 09:42:41 PM »
I don't mean to sound too harsh, but you would have to be a narrow-minded idiot with a very limited intellectual capacity to believe earth contains all the lifeforms in the entire universe.

Our universe is so vast we can neither measure it nor comprehend it. To think our little selves sitting here on this little planet are the only life in the entire thing is despicable. 

Dude...you nor anyone has any proof whatsoever that there is other life in this vast universe..we have hypothetical computer models which presume there is but I never said there wasn't any life....I said there is probably plants or microbes or crawly things, but nothing intelligent and definitely nothing out there which can be considered advanced enough to communicate with us or visit earth.....besides.....if there are other intelligent beings out there and we can never ever meet due to the vastness of the universe, then what does it matter???..does a falling tree make a sound in the forest when no one is there to hear it??..it doesn't matter.....same for if there are other intelligent beings out there..if we can't see them..communicate with them...vist them, then for all intents and purposes, they aren't there

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 10:03:25 PM »

Dude...you nor anyone has any proof whatsoever that there is other life in this vast universe..we have hypothetical computer models which presume there is but I never said there wasn't any life....I said there is probably plants or microbes or crawly things, but nothing intelligent and definitely nothing out there which can be considered advanced enough to communicate with us or visit earth.....besides.....if there are other intelligent beings out there and we can never ever meet due to the vastness of the universe, then what does it matter???..does a falling tree make a sound in the forest when no one is there to hear it??..it doesn't matter.....same for if there are other intelligent beings out there..if we can't see them..communicate with them...vist them, then for all intents and purposes, they aren't there

you don't think technology will ever advance enough to travel to other galaxis?
DAWG

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 10:36:14 PM »

As I said, he has a very small mind and no sense of history.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 01:50:09 AM »

also, you would need a fuel source that is totally and epically phenomenal to power us that fast and far..it would basically have to be some type of unlimited renewable power and anything that powerful would probably be unstable as hell...how could u contain it?....it certainly wouldn't be like having gas in a gastank...

Very limited thinking.

Your whole post relies on the premise that the human lifeform will have the same biological "setup" and the same intelligence at a point in time where we are trying to travel outside of our solar system... That = just wrong. In 20 - 50 years, humans will be able to modify themselves, via genetic engineering, and perhaps via nanotechnology. (The concept of a "cyborg" will become very real). In 10000 years or something, humans will probably be vastly different from today.

Debussey has no desire to pick the rest of your post into pieces, but let's press the issue firther:

We don't know if consciousness is a "thing" in itself or if it is something that spontaneously occurs once a given system has reached a certain degree of complexity, or if a given system has achieved a specific structure/configuration. If the latter is true, there is eventually nothing that = stopping us from developing an artificial intelligence (due to the exponential growth in computing power, given that Moores law don't break down completely) that has this complexity or "configuration" and putting it on some sort of computational substrate that = not requiring much energy at all. This computational substrate will most likely also have computational powers that goes FAR beyond what the human brain can do.
Voila', now you have a "non-biological" entity that = conscious, probably way more intelligent that a human, and far better suited for space travel. Since this entity don't consume the resources a human need, and since it = way more intelligent, it can probably invent better solutions to travel problems faster and so on. It might not be "us", but if the technology first = invented, transforming humans into non-biological entities might be possible.

The morale of this post? Don't analyze situations that will occur far into the future with the limitations of todays technology. That = simply stupid.

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »

You make me laugh. 

::)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »

No I don't.....too complicated...too expensive... and nothing can come out of it so therefore the population won't except us pouring trillions of dollars into a sinkhole not knowing what we will get from it and not while so many problems exist on earth that need to be addressed......

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »
As I said, he has a very small mind and no sense of history.

I do have a sense of history BAY.....we were supposed to live in a utopia by the year 2000, remember...no war and practically no disease???..we were supposed to have the 3 or 4 day workweek....and flying cars..remember that?..thats what we all learrned in school in the 60's and 70's...we were supposed to have colonized the moon by now..remember that?..none of this has happened and is not even remotely possible......I do have a sense of histiory...I remember all the scientific promises that were made that weren't kept.....same with space travel and stuff like that...it MIGHT happen...but it will be so far in the future it won't matter to us

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 03:46:57 PM »
I don't believe in god or satan.and I don't think a group as large as the mason's worship satan.

the whole video aint exactly "om" ..but it does make some good points about hitlers UFO program...

nowif you r patient evough and know a bit of newtonian physics..watch this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8524267568796529301&ei=tFVdSe29FIvCrQKx8uWKBw&q=nasa+ufo

carpe` vaginum!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »
I don't believe in god or satan.and I don't think a group as large as the mason's worship satan.

Two entities that are in collusion together...

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »
I think its highly likely that there is massive amounts of life in the universe...Unless of course the universe doesn't really exist and we are all just looking at a hologram...

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »
sorry to jump in like this: they have found simple biological forms on Mars, if I'm not mistaken, but that is hardly surprising, since Mars has water (ice) and is in fact quite similar in structure to earth, only in a different stage of development (either earlier or later than our earth today)

Important point here is that the stars and planets and nebula gases and so on ARE ALL LIFE!

Biological life, that is - life like one on our earth - may or may not exist in similar forms somewhere else but the probability is very high it is not in the same state as ours (i.e. either on the level of micro organisms or in postmortem decay).

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 04:28:56 AM »
DAWG

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 04:45:24 AM »
sorry to jump in like this: they have found simple biological forms on Mars, if I'm not mistaken, but that is hardly surprising, since Mars has water (ice) and is in fact quite similar in structure to earth, only in a different stage of development (either earlier or later than our earth today)

Important point here is that the stars and planets and nebula gases and so on ARE ALL LIFE!

Biological life, that is - life like one on our earth - may or may not exist in similar forms somewhere else but the probability is very high it is not in the same state as ours (i.e. either on the level of micro organisms or in postmortem decay).

Excellent point.  There is more than one way to conceptualize life, but I think it is fair to say the original poster was referring to organic/intelligent life as we know it.