Author Topic: Bench press help!  (Read 6918 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Bench press help!
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
magoo if you want to put limits on yourself, go ahead.

you do your thing, ill do mine, see you at the finish line  8)

no offense dude, but you're on gear and estimating your max bench at something i can do for five reps. so if you're going to start playing that game with me, you're not going to do well.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »
no offense dude, but you're on gear and estimating your max bench at something i can do for five reps. so if you're going to start playing that game with me, you're not going to do well.
i dont "powerflift" i have no interest in it. if you have an everyday life where you are encountered with tasks that require insane strength, then cool, i understand your "powwerlifting". as for me, i live in the normal world where strength is totally unnecessary.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
i dont "powerflift" i have no interest in it. if you have an everyday life where you are encountered with tasks that require insane strength, then cool, i understand your "powwerlifting". as for me, i live in the normal world where strength is totally unnecessary.

so defend your steroid usage and the amount of lifting and dieting you do. tell me, where in "the normal world" is any of that necessary?

in "the normal world", strength has a far greater utility than "looking swole", but overall neither activity is incredibly useful unless you somehow have a job that necessitates 20 inch arms and a low bodyfat. are you an exotic dancer? male prostitute? underwear model?

keep in mind i'm not saying that to downplay lifting for looks. my point is that you're trying to tell me my style of exercise doesn't lead to real world application when chances are yours leads to even less. clearly both of us do what we do because we enjoy it.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »
maybe i am a male stripper, how do you know?  :)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »
i don't, that's why i asked. if you're going to tell me that strength training has no "normal world" application, be prepared to defend your "bodybuilding".

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »
why would i, since you didnt defend the need for powerflifting ? strength comes with bodybuilding trainign too. i assure you anyone taking a bodybuilding routine seriously will be more than strong enought o handle ANY task life throws at them.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
Candy , do you even bench?
I saw a post you made where you were doing 25 sets of cable crossovers,lifting to diff areas to hit diff angles..

???

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
why would i, since you didnt defend the need for powerflifting ? strength comes with bodybuilding trainign too. i assure you anyone taking a bodybuilding routine seriously will be more than strong enought o handle ANY task life throws at them.

i don't need to defend powerlifting because i'm not powerlifting for the utility. i lift because i love the feeling of hitting a PR on a lift. i love holding a heavy bar, i love the chalk cloud and the feel of pushing more weight than i ever have before. it's recreation for me. if i wanted to do what was "useful" i'd be on a 2000cal/day diet and doing cardio and bodyweight exercises. that's not my purpose, so whether or not i "need" to have the strength to deadlift 550 pounds is irrelevant to me.

you, on the other hand, brought up the idea of "utility", which tells me you believe what YOU do has a real world application while what i do doesn't. if this is the case, you'd better have some evidence that this is so, otherwise why bring it up?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »
Candy , do you even bench?
I saw a post you made where you were doing 25 sets of cable crossovers,lifting to diff areas to hit diff angles..

???
for usre. last chest workout was

flat bench
decline bench
machine press
machine flys (elbow pads)
cable crossovers form the top
cable crossovers from the bottom

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »
you believe what YOU do has a real world application while what i do doesn't.
well okay...i never really thought about it...but okay your right... bodybuilding does have more real application than powerlifting.

both make you strong.

however,. bodybuilding also makes you look good.

human beings have a major part of their psychology taken up with "sex drive" and related things.

bodybuilding helps with that, powerlifting most often times does not.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2009, 05:13:12 PM »
mm, sorry, you fail again. you assume that all powerlifters are superheavyweights with 50" waistlines. as though any prospective sexual partners give a rat's ass about symmetry and proportion. they just know two guys have muscles. take a powerlifter and have him diet down to 10% bf and the average person cannot tell the difference between him and a "bodybuilder".

also, realize that for the whole 'sex' angle a dude with a good personality and abs will outperform some lunkhead with 20" arms. if you're exercising to get ass, apparently you've got something that you need to overcome, so you're trouble as it is.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »
for usre. last chest workout was

flat bench
decline bench
machine press
machine flys (elbow pads)
cable crossovers form the top
cable crossovers from the bottom

Do you change this from work out to work out to keep the muscle guessing?
No incline work? A work out with flat bench,decline and machine press would give me major bottom hanging pecs ,whats your reasoning for doin flat bench,decline and machine press all in same work out?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »
Do you change this from work out to work out to keep the muscle guessing?
No incline work? A work out with flat bench,decline and machine press would give me major bottom hanging pecs ,whats your reasoning for doin flat bench,decline and machine press all in same work out?
i just do what i feel like doing. the machine press gives me the deepest stretch and burn in the upper pecs, all across my collar bone, real deep. i love the machine press. the decline bench also hits my upper pecs way better than the incline press ever does. i lower the bar down between my nipples and collar bone on the decline.