Author Topic: What is the status of Afghanistan?  (Read 654 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
What is the status of Afghanistan?
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
7 years of fighting, hundreds of billion dollars spent.

A-Quida and Taleban top leadership still free.

600 soldiers killed.
2500 wounded.
no end in sight.

We're now negotiating with the taleban, and they will have a place in the new government.

Obama wants to hand over much of the war duties to the international community - has already spoke to various Euro nations about contributing money and men.

Are we winning there?  If so, how do you define winning?  Or is it a stalemate?  Just like Russia faced?  You stalemate it til you leave?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: What is the status of Afghanistan?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »
This is nothing like what the Russians faced. They were'nt building wells or schools for little girls. The orphanges I went to were because of the Russians and the toys we gave out weren't filled with Semtex. I would advise u guys to read up on this fucked up country as it will be "Obama's war" before to long. It remains to be seen if he cuts and runs. The International community can't and won't fight. Karzi has pushed for more talks with the Taliban. We'll buy off the guys who we feel will stay loyal, which is how its done in Afghanistan. Those hardcore guys we'll kill. The AQ guys...we'll kill. We will have to change tactics to an extent.

"The principal provider of U.S. economic assistance, the U.S. Agency for International Development, is severely constrained in Afghanistan by security rules that tolerate no risk for our Foreign Service officers. They are rarely allowed outside the fortress-like U.S. Embassy in Kabul. When they get out, to attend a meeting or visit the site of a project financed by USAID, they are often surrounded by heavily armed security personnel who make it virtually impossible to interact with the Afghan people they are helping.

For USAID to design effective projects, its officers must work closely with the Afghans who know what works best in their difficult environment. Those officers must have access to the project sites to ensure that the intended results are being produced. USAID prides itself on having experienced officers in the field, in the most difficult environments, to ensure strong design and oversight. It owes no less to American taxpayers and the Afghan people."

I believe the Dept of State to be mostly worthless. Its filled with careerist who cultivate empires instead of doing anything. It really doesn't matter who is in power, but many are Dems. Which would make u think that their bleeding hearts would try and accomplish something.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »
The "no risk" approach is harming America's image. After the 2005 earthquake in northern Pakistan, the people in the affected region changed their attitude about America when they got to know the aid workers, who were there day after day. But when Afghans see civilian American aid workers coming, surrounded by security contractor "shooters," they stay away. The situation is no better with most of the provincial reconstruction teams, which depend on NATO forces for security. On a visit to Farah province in western Afghanistan earlier this year, the headmaster of an agriculture high school close to the U.S.-led provincial reconstruction team told an expert who had just arrived from the U.S. Department of Agriculture that he was not welcome if heavy military security had to accompany him.

I don't know how u get around that. Nobody rolls without security. It has been my experience that the Afghan people don't care how many security personnel accompany the USAID worker. The only concern they seem to have it what or how much is going to be dispersed to them. Theses "shooters" try to balance the security concern, with not interfering with the interaction of the USAID worker and the local Afghans. How do you think the American public will react when one of these USAID workers show up on television wearing an orange jump suit?
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »
I just don't get why we're still "tied" while the Taleban is getting a voice in the new govt.

Americans DIED to kick out the taleban for protecting Al-Q.

Now, since we can't beat them, we're giving them the reins to run the place.  WTF?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
I just don't get why we're still "tied" while the Taleban is getting a voice in the new govt.

Americans DIED to kick out the taleban for protecting Al-Q.

Now, since we can't beat them, we're giving them the reins to run the place.  WTF?
there is no ruling authority in much of Afghanistan. it is run by families and almost feudal system where bribery is the rule

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:53:35 AM »
I'm ok with that, I get more and more US soldiers who are deployed in afghanistan and have a lot to upload to my page www.apacheclips.com - I hope that war goes on for a long time :D in fact I hope we're going full force with Pakistan and Iran and document it all - I hope every Soldier gets a helmet camera and is able to upload freely to the internet