Author Topic: Columbo WSM 1977  (Read 4481 times)

Figo

• Getbig V
Columbo WSM 1977
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »
Columbo finished 5th in 77, at 5'5" 188lbs. 8 competitors (not sure if it was finals or total field)

Was the field really weak, the events conducive to his body type, or was he very strong?

Figo

• Getbig V
Re: Columbo WSM 1977
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »
ive always heard that he was really strong for his time, but i would kinda like to know what events there where b/c a good number of them i see now or days arent suited very well for short folk.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:41:13 PM »
Many of the events were the same with slight twists. Such as the silver dollar DL instead of the car/tire DL's of today. Instead of the Yoke they used fridges and other strange objects to carry on your back. Really it was the same as today only today it is geared more towards power than anything else. It used to be a lot of "the farthest distance wins" type of stuff but has been slowly shifting to "who can do it fastest in a set distance?" The events are a lot safer nowadays too. No uneven ground to walk on, unbalanced objects, and as many variables taken away as possible.

Also, people are just getting stronger and better at these events. More equipment is available and there are "standards" amongst events throughout the world. An example of the equipment availability giving advantages today is that, in 1997, they used a "custom" set of hand carved logs for Americas Strongest Man. Today we have 10"-12" steel logs. Not many people had logs and there was no standard so it was hard to get really good at it. So in the 97 ASM they used a ~220lb log and people were lucky to get 8 reps. Now, in ASM, they use no less than 285 and thats STILL too light for many. I believe Jason Kristal (sp?) put up 13 reps with a 300lb log in AM Nationals a couple years back.

The events of the past would have suited a shorter fellow very well compared to nowadays. They would have just shouldered a stone rather than load it on a 60" platform. Lots of deadlifting. Carrys for distance. Jerks off a rack. Bench pressing of sorts. Today is hard for the shorter man because of things like fingal fingers, high stone platforms, and truck pulls (more of a weight issue).

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »
strongman seems to get heavier every year, ten years ago a pair of 220 pound tanks was the limit on farmers and you very rarely saw stones over 320 pounds or so, crazy stuff.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »
strongman seems to get heavier every year, ten years ago a pair of 220 pound tanks was the limit on farmers and you very rarely saw stones over 320 pounds or so, crazy stuff.

Right, now its standard to have a 280+ log (vs 220), stones up to 420lbs (vs 320), and farmers that are 360lbs. I would attribute this to direct training.

I recently watched a pro strongman go 60' with a 1200lb yoke!

I also watched a 19yo amateur carry a 900lb yoke for ~40'.

I cant wait to see where the sport goes in the next ten years.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »
Right, now its standard to have a 280+ log (vs 220), stones up to 420lbs (vs 320), and farmers that are 360lbs. I would attribute this to direct training.

crazy, i remember seeing Willie practically RUN with an 850 pound Yoke at the old gym, that guy was strong.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 01:45:22 AM »

LOL freakin gezzz man thats ridiculous i already feel old as shit and now we have these young bastards showing up fuck that im gonna pull a tonya harding on the next bastard that out lifts me in the gym.  ;D

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 10:29:56 AM »
Many of the events were the same with slight twists. Such as the silver dollar DL instead of the car/tire DL's of today. Instead of the Yoke they used fridges and other strange objects to carry on your back. Really it was the same as today only today it is geared more towards power than anything else. It used to be a lot of "the farthest distance wins" type of stuff but has been slowly shifting to "who can do it fastest in a set distance?" The events are a lot safer nowadays too. No uneven ground to walk on, unbalanced objects, and as many variables taken away as possible.

Also, people are just getting stronger and better at these events. More equipment is available and there are "standards" amongst events throughout the world. An example of the equipment availability giving advantages today is that, in 1997, they used a "custom" set of hand carved logs for Americas Strongest Man. Today we have 10"-12" steel logs. Not many people had logs and there was no standard so it was hard to get really good at it. So in the 97 ASM they used a ~220lb log and people were lucky to get 8 reps. Now, in ASM, they use no less than 285 and thats STILL too light for many. I believe Jason Kristal (sp?) put up 13 reps with a 300lb log in AM Nationals a couple years back.

The events of the past would have suited a shorter fellow very well compared to nowadays. They would have just shouldered a stone rather than load it on a 60" platform. Lots of deadlifting. Carrys for distance. Jerks off a rack. Bench pressing of sorts. Today is hard for the shorter man because of things like fingal fingers, high stone platforms, and truck pulls (more of a weight issue).

lol, i remember them doing the stones in the sand and there was a guy who lost his footing and dropped the stone on his chest, so yes i agree the events are much safer nowadays.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 06:19:48 AM »

lol, i remember them doing the stones in the sand and there was a guy who lost his footing and dropped the stone on his chest, so yes i agree the events are much safer nowadays.

Ive always wondered, has anyone dropped a stone on his foot?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
Ive always wondered, has anyone dropped a stone on his foot?

Never seen that. The stone would hit your leg first actually. There is a clip of Zydrunas, at his first WSM appearance, falling back with the stone. He hit his back and the stone hit his chest. :-X

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »
Never seen that. The stone would hit your leg first actually. There is a clip of Zydrunas, at his first WSM appearance, falling back with the stone. He hit his back and the stone hit his chest. :-X

thats the incident im talking about

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:33:40 AM »

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 02:21:35 PM »
Whos the guy in the picture Figo?

Joe De Angelis.